- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in St. John
About St. John
St. John is just off the coast of St. Thomas, but couldn't be more different. St. John is almost entirely national park or untouched forest, and only the very fringes - or beaches - are developed. It's possible to camp on some parts of the island, but the best places to stay on St. John are the large but quiet hotel resorts, or the little independent charmers which can be found in St. John's two small towns.
Visitors to St. John arrive by ferry from St. Thomas - and find a whole new world here. It's certainly lush, but as well as jungle and rainforest, St. John's interior is also home to cacti.
And while two thirds of the island is now national park, it hasn't always been, and the park incorporates the ruins of sugar mills and plantations, and ancient settlements, as well as virgin forest.
Off shore is just as spectacular as on, and this is a great place to spot unusual sea creatures, including turtles and eagle rays.
Most of our selection of the best places to stay in St John are located around Cruz Bay, but there's also the Concordia Eco Resort on the eastern side of the island.
For a special occasion
- The Gallows Point Resort has an enviable location, nestled into a rocky bay, with panoramic views of the bright blue seas around this national park island. The accommodation is generously sized and luxurious, and the facilities very comfortable. There are plenty of sun decks on which to enjoy a cocktail in the evenings, before things get a little fun.
- Caneel Bay is a luxurious hotel on a beautiful, remote bay. Everything is done to make the most of the postcard perfect sea views, and there are large balconies and big windows. This is a larger resort, so you also have a choice of five restaurants, and plenty of options when it comes to facilities too.
For great value
- The St John Inn is a colourful, ten room, beachfront guesthouse with all mod. cons. plus hammocks for appreciating the very best of the sea views. As well as easy access to the beach, you also have easy access to tennis courts and a golf course.
- Also right by the beach, Garden by the Sea B&B has just three, romantically styled rooms in a secluded spot. Peaceful, private and unfussy. And rooms start from just £99 per night.
For something different
- Concordia Eco Resort is a collection of condos, tents and studio apartments set on a green hillside, overlooking a beautiful bay. Each room has its own kitchen, but there's also a rustic restaurant and the vibe is laid-back and friendly.
- Estate Lindholm is a 14 room B&B converted from an old Danish estate. There are stunning views out to sea and towards Cruz Bay, and you're just back from the beach and the nightlife.
Still not sure which to book?
Best Hotels in St. John
St John Inn 10 rooms from $150St John, US Virgin Islands
A colourful beach front guesthouse with rainbow rooms and excellent prices. Bright accommodations have all the mod cons and balconies with hammocks. Lovely breakfast and bar area with sea views. Tennis court on site, easy access to golf and beach activities. Ideal for families.Value chicSights nearby - Elaine Lone Sprauve Library and Museum.Views - Great views from hotelSailing - Can be booked nearby.
Garden by the Sea B&B 3 rooms from $160St John, US Virgin Islands
A beach chic B&B with romantic suites in colourful pastels. Four poster beds with attractive muslin drapes, verandahs with dreamy sea views onto white sands, all in a secluded location. Perfect for a romantic beach holiday with a book, lots of sun, and simple accommodation.Views - Beautiful views from verandahs out to sea.Remote - Off the beaten track.Four poster beds - For romantics.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers
Concordia Eco Resort 48 rooms from $195St John, US Virgin Islands
A collection of condos, tents, and studio apartments set in the verdant hillside above a bay. Charming wooden built accommodation, each with private kitchens, balconies, and sea views. Rustic restaurant, beaches to explore, relaxed bar, and plenty of watersports. Ideal for a laid back holiday.EcoViews - Great views from hotelGreat walks - Bordeaux Mountain Trail, Ram Head Trail.Swimming Pool - Outdoor freshwater poolRecommended by - Fodors
Estate Lindholm 14 rooms from $225St John, US Virgin Islands
An intimate B&B set amongst the Danish ruins of the estate's original settlers. Stunning views out to sea and towards Cruz Bay. Set on a hillside, back from the beach and walking distance to restaurants and nightlife. Large rooms with balconies and attractive furnishings. Excellently placed.Views - Fabulous sea views from every room.Swimming Pool - Fresh water pool and decking area with views out to sea.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers
Gallows Point Resort 60 rooms from $295St John, US Virgin Islands
A stunning setting for a luxurious beach hotel. Large rooms and suites with kitchenettes, balconies, and sea views are nestled into the bay. Wonderful pool and sun deck area, sea views from the verandah of the American restaurant, and a lively bar to enjoy a cocktail from in the evenings.Views - Panoramic island viewsRomantic BreakLuxuryBeach Life
Caneel Bay 166 rooms from $529St John, US Virgin Islands
A luxury hotel set on a beautiful remote bay. Large attractive rooms and suites have DVD players, balconies, and sea views. Five restaurants, health club and beauty treatments, tennis courts, candle lit dinners on the beach. Luxurious, romantic, relaxing.LuxuryBeach LifeRomantic BreakKids Club - Turtle Town is free for all children aged 3-11 and offers a wide range of supervised activities.Recommended by - Fodors