- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Vieques
Vieques gorgeously typifies the small, Caribbean island experience. It's just five miles across and 21 miles long, many of those miles including wide stretches of unspoiled sand, and there's little traffic - and in fact no traffic lights. So it's not just peaceful, it's paradise for cyclists. Vieques isn't uninhabited though, there are plenty of beach bars in which to sip your cocktails, decent restaurants and some very nice choices when it comes to the best places to stay in Vieques.
The highlight of the island has to be Bioluminescent Bay, an ethereal lagoon which is home to millions of tiny little organisms which glow a strange green after dark. This is surely one of the world's great natural wonders.
While Vieques is considered very peaceful by mainland standards, it actually hots up quite nicely after dark, with regular music nights in the two towns, Esperanza and Isabel II.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Vieuqes are perfect spots for an idyllic off the beaten track Caribbean holiday.
For an idyllic beach break
- The W retreat is a gorgeous five star resort right on the beach, with colourful detail and enormous bathrooms and sun decks. There are just 15 rooms, but between them they share an outdoor pool, gym, spa, tennis courts, a library and a private beach. The restaurant is very Puerto Rican.
- The Blue Horizon Boutique Hotel is a plantation style hotel, with just ten rooms, right on the beach. The decor is Caribbean boutique and the restaurant serves Caribbean cuisine. There's great facilities considering the hotel's size and a grown-up ambience.
For total relaxation
- Hix island House is a square, granite affair with slick decor and outdoor showers surrounded by jungle. Stunning and secluded, these 19 rooms also have their own full kitchens, so you can hideaway from everyone if you so choose.
- The Crow's Nest is a charming, rural B&B with beautiful views and family-friendly seclusion. The decor is colourful, to match the bright pink bougainvillaea surrounding the house, and you're a short stroll from Bioluminescent Bay, Fort Conde de Mirasol and Isabel Segunda Harbour.
Still not sure which of the best places to stay in Vieques to book?
Best Hotels in Vieques
Hix island House 19 rooms from $135Vieques Island, Puerto Rico
Granite hotel within tropical trees on Vieques Island. Rooms are contemporary with slick lines, chic bathrooms, full kitchens and outdoor showers. Outdoor pool, yoga terrace and abundance of lush jungle surrounds. Stunning, intimate and secluded.Hideaway - Set within lush jungle foliage, with outdoor showers, huge terraces and open wallsGreat walks - Through surrounding 13-acre natural refuge of native trees, tall grasses, birds and butterfliesSights nearby - Island Adventures offers trips to bioluminescent bayViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Fodors
Crow's Nest 17 rooms from $153Vieques Island, Puerto Rico
Charming rural B&B with fabulous views. Rooms have wooden shutters, colourful lounges, and full kitchens. Outdoor pool and terraces surrounded by pink bougainvillea. Family-friendly, secluded and good value.Families - Large living areas and full kitchens, outdoor pool and plenty of outdoor fun nearbyGreat walks - Around Fort Conde de Mirasol and Isabel Segunda HarborSights nearby - Bioluminescent BayViews - Great views from hotel
Blue Horizon Boutique Hotel 10 rooms from $250Vieques Island, Puerto Rico
Plantation style hotel on the beach. Decor is Caribbean with mahogany four posters, colourful walls and antiques. Outdoor pool, gym, spa treatments, tennis courts and garden. Great Caribbean cuisine in ambient restaurant. A grown-up boutique hideaway.Beach Life - Stunning ocean views, plantation decor, vast sun terraces and white sands on the doorstepGreat walks - Along Black Sand Beach, Sun Bay, and Media Luna BeachSights nearby - Faro Punta Mula, a Spanish-built lighthouseRestrictions on children - Children over 16 welcomeRecommended by - Fodors
W Retreat 15 rooms from $399Vieques Island, Puerto Rico
Gorgeous 5* resort on the beach. Decor is contemporary, with muted furnishings and colourful details; enormous bathrooms and sundecks. Outdoor pool, gym, spa, tennis courts, library and private beach. Superb Puerto Rican menu using local grown produce. Luxurious, chic and cool.Beach Life - Every activity you could wish for is available, as well as turquoise pool & white sand beach with full hotel serviceRomantic Break - Couples' spa treatments, romantic decor and enormous bathtubs in rooms, sunsets from poolside cabanasKayaking - With Black Beard SportsFull of characterRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Fodors