- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Opatija
Best Hotels in Opatija
Design Hotel Astoria 50 rooms from $71Opatija
A modern and lively hotel on the Croatian Riviera. Large minimal rooms and suites with private balconies, all the mod cons, and sleek lines. Excellent terrace restaurant, lively bar, wellness spa around the corner, and stunning views out to sea. Romantic, family friendly, beachy.Spa - A nearby Thalasso Wellness Center with lots of spa treatments on offer.Sights nearby - "Emperor Francis Joseph” seaside promenade.Lively - Hip and happening.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
Opatija nestles in a sheltered position under the Ucka mountain on the Gulf of Kvarner. Its temperate climate makes it a popular destination all year round. The best places to stay in Opatija are great for sightseeing, relaxing and generally taking time out.
The town traces its history back to Illyrian times. Patrician Romans built villas here. More recently, the advent of the railway made the area accessible to tourists from the late 19th century. This led to the development of the town as a fashionable resort which drew the crème de la crème of Austro- Hungarian society (Gustav Mahler loved this place and was a frequent visitor). The Union Yacht Club dates from this era (1887) and was the first sailing club on the Adriatic.
In the town there is much to see and do:
- Visit the 14th century Benedictine Abbey in St. James Park
- or the Park Angiolina gardens with their plant species from across the globe.
- There is also the wonderful ‘Promenade Lungomare’ a 12 kilometre walk along the Riviera from Voloska to Lovran.
- Alternatively one can enjoy the beach or try windsurfing,diving and sailing.
Opatija has also always been renowned for its vibrant nghtlife; bars, restaurants, clubs and casino. So there's no shortage of activities both day and night!
If you're visiting in July and August you'll need to plan well ahead if you want to book one of the best places to stay in Opatija. Alternatively come off season, when the weather's still good, but the masses have gone.
- Design Hotel Astoria, originally Villa Louise, was built in 1904 in classic ‘Belle Epoque’ style. It has now been refurbished with a bright, cool, contemporary look. The hotel boasts a chic bar, exquisite Mediterranean cuisine and a refreshing spa. The historic old town is on the doorstep!
Still undecided? Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Opatija or contact, one of our friendly gurus for advice. Alternatively widen your search and check out all our recommendations in Croatia.