- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Tallinn
Don't discount Estonia's capital because you don't have any friends who can make personal recommendations about the best places to stay in Tallinn. Our gurus are here to help you find the perfect base from which to explore this most modern city set on top of a medieval one.
Behind the Iron Curtain until 1991, Tallinn has been playing clever catch up since and today's city embraces technology, multicultural five star luxury and clean, but colourful, Scandi lines.
But the forward fashions, bright bistros and hipster nightlife rests on top of the magical, World Heritage-listed Old Town. (This also means there's plenty of variety in our guru's list of the best places to stay in Tallinn.)
Opt for choral concerts in wonderful onion domed churches or a rock gig. Days spend perusing small museums or galleries or people watching. Visit Peter the Great's Kadriorg Palace or the beach.
As with many of the old Soviet and Eastern Bloc countries, Estonia is becoming increasingly popular and there are now a raft of low cost airlines who can take you there. So if you want to book one of the best places to stay in Tallinn, we'd suggest you get organised and don't leave it till the last minute!
For the city centre
- Where could be more central than the telegraph exchange station? Luxuriously converted, the Telegraaf Hotel has retained its grand marble floors and spacious design. Classical furniture (including numerous four-poster beds) and weighty fabrics make this one of the best places to stay in Tallinn for grandeur. As well as being one if the best places to stay in Tallinn if you want to be within walking distance of the main sights.
- For inexpensive atmosphere, the Merchant's House Hotel, in the heart of the Old Town, is definitely one of the best places to stay in Tallinn. No two of the 37 rooms in this 14th century building are alike, and the charming differences include hand-painted frescoes, original fireplaces and beamed ceilings. The fact that its sauna is free to guests also guarantees its place on a list of the best places to stay in Tallinn on a budget.
- With just 15 uniquely designed rooms and a lovely courtyard restaurant the Hotel Cru is one of the best places to stay in Tallinn for couples. The beds are high and large, and the atmosphere is homely and cosy, so a good choice for those looking for the best place in Tallinn to get close.
- Between top luxury hotels the Schlossle Hotel is probably the best place to stay in Tallinn for romance. Converted from three adjoining medieval houses, it's renowned for its welcoming homely atmosphere. Which might be why it's the choice hotel for many politicians, pop stars and even Prince Charles. The cellar restaurant with its stone vaulted ceiling is another reason it's one of the best places to stay in Tallinn for people who might be going to pop the question?
For those on a budget
- For groups the best place to stay in Tallinn is the Bridgettine Convent Guesthouse. By Pirita Beach this modern building is still part of a working convent - so it's run by nuns! As well as giving colour this lends standards - making it one of the best places to stay in Tallinn for people who like things simple, clean, contemporary and cheap.
- With 85 rooms priced from £50 a night the Kreutswald Hotel Tallinn certainly deserves to be on a list of the best places to stay in Tallinn on a budget. That it's a comfy modern offering in an historic old building adds even more value.
Best Hotels in Tallinn
Poska Villa 8 rooms from $48Tallinn
Simple, homely guesthouse in leafy Kadriorg district. A wooden house with rooms and suites, some in the attic. Basic decoration - local wooden furniture, floaty curtains, and sparkling shower rooms. A tiny breakfast room too.Sights nearby - 200m from Kadriorg Park an urban park with museums and monuments
Bridgettine Convent Guesthouse 21 rooms from $49Tallinn (Nr Pirita Beach)
Modest accommodation in a modern convent. Perfect for groups or those on a budget - the rooms sleep up to three people and the rates are inexpensive.Groups - Rooms can sleep up to three people.Unusual - The Convent of Pirita.TraditionalLess £
Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn 74 rooms from $77Tallinn
Uniquestay's newest offering. An ultra modern hotel that caters to business visitors, as well as those pleasure seekers who like to visit a spa, a gym, a sauna, or a solarium while exploring a city. A great Brazilian restaurant, extensive conference facilities and a central location. A great find.Value chic - A chic choice, right in the heart of old Tallinn, with spa services and a fantastic restaurant- for a reasonable price.Great walks - Wander the picturesque streets of Tallinn's old town and get a feel for this historic city.Sights nearby - Close to the Estonian National Library, a beautiful builing, well worth checking out.Views - Great views from hotel
Merchant‘s House Hotel 37 rooms from $94Tallinn
Medieval merchant house at the heart of Old Town with oodles of atmospheric charm. Interiors are beautifully juxtaposed with white washed walls set against clean modern furniture. large bathrooms with freestanding baths. Lovely restaurant and an ice bar for evening entertainment. A great choice.City Style - A historic property with uber modern interiors in an excellent central locationSights nearby - In close proximity to many sights including Town Hall SquareSpa
The von Stackelberg Hotel Tallinn 43 rooms from $109Tallinn
Estonian style meets modern minimalism with great results. Sophisticated, but warm rooms with all the mod cons - pine floors, open brick walls, white curtains, rich furniture, lots of natural light. Lovely restaurant, and summertime courtyard, zen spa, and ample banqueting/conference venues.Spa breaks - The hotel contains the exclusive Zen spa merging Asian philosophies with contemporary techniquesLocal exploring - Perfectly located for exploring the Old Town on foot.Great walks - Stroll through the cobbled streets of Tallinn's Old Town also a UNESCO heritage site.Sights nearby - Located at Toompea Hill just a few steps from Toompea Castle and Nevsky Cathedral.
Savoy Boutique Hotel 41 rooms from $163Tallinn
Charming Savoy hotel close to the Town Square and historic attractions. Art Deco interiors, elegant rooms, and delicious Estonian cuisine. Family-friendly and in a great position for exploring Tallinn.Sights nearby - Just 300m from Town Hall squareRomantic - Good for couples.
Hotel St Petersbourg 27 rooms from $146Tallinn
Fantastic boutique hotel in the style of a Russian merchant's residence. Luxurious rooms and suites have an eclectic mix of faux fur throws, designer furnishings, and all the modern luxuries. A charming restaurant serves excellent local cuisine and an array of vodkas. Romantic, also family friendly.City StyleSights nearby - Located in the heart of Tallinn's Old TownLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Telegraaf Hotel 86 rooms from $193Tallinn
Classical grandeur in a former telegraph exchange station. Chequered marble floors, rich fabrics, classical furniture - everything in grand proportions. Rooms with four poster beds, richly painted walls and all the mod cons. A romantic Russian restaurant with a glass roof. City style at its finest.Sailing - The hotel organises boat or yacht trips in the Gulf of TallinnSights nearby - Picturesque St. Catherine’s Passage is just moments awaySwimming Pool - Indoor poolSpaRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
Three Sisters Hotel 23 rooms from $176Tallinn
A perfect marriage of old world charm and modern style at this luxury boutique hotel in the centre of Tallinn. Large beautiful bedrooms with parquet floors, four poster beds, and bright Edwardian coloured walls. Fabulous restaurant and private dining room with ceiling murals.City Style - A perfect balance between old and new, with slate floors, old wood beams and contemporary fabrics and layout.Romantic Break - After a joint soak in the tub, enjoy a six-course meal in the kitchen, watching the chef cook by candlelight.Sights nearby - Perfectly placed for exploring the old town square, just five minutes down the road.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
Hotel Cru 15 rooms from $211Tallinn
A small hotel with lots of charm and character. This former merchant's house is bedecked with exposed stone walls, wooden beams, antique furniture and richly patterned throws across large beds. Lovely courtyard pizzeria and wine cellar. Ideally situated for exploring Tallinn Old Town.Sights nearby - Freedom Square and Town Hall Square are both within a 5 minute walkRomantic - Good for couples.Full of characterFour poster beds - For romantics.
Schlossle Hotel 23 rooms from $213Tallinn
A small luxury hotel with oodles of charm and character. Frequented by politicians, pop stars, and even Prince Charles. One of Tallin's leading luxury hotels, but on a more intimate and cosy scale. Two fantastic restaurants - one in the stone-vaulted cellar and one in the courtyard.City Style - A charming hotel in Tallinn’s Old Town comes with spoiling flourishes such as limo service and sparkling wine with breakfast.Sights nearby - The historic UNESCO heritage site - Tallinn Old Town and it's cafes, restaurants, bars and shops is within a 10 minute walk.Great walks - Walk a section of the fairy tale styled Tallinn Town Wall.Full of characterRecommended by - Kiwi Collection