- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Amiens
Amiens was almost entirely rebuilt after WWII, but many of its visitors come because of its position within the First World War. Amiens occupied some of the most contested land in all of history, the Western Front. Modern Amiens is more than just a base, and the best places to stay in Amiens will help make this a romantic and fun destination, as well as an atmospheric and historic one.
When Amiens was rebuilt its centre was kept car free, so the city's main sights, around the impressive cathedral - the largest Gothic cathedral in France - are all within walking distance of each other. These include:
- the very excellent Jules Verne Museum, which has occupies the writer's house,
- Europe's first skyscraper, the space-age looking Tour Perret,
- the regional ethnographic and archaeological museum, the Museum of Picardy
- and the Hortillonnages, Amiens' market garden, which has supplied the city since the Middle Ages.
But the majority of sights people travel to Amiens to see are outside the city, on the hills and plains of Flanders fields. There are beautiful, stark memorials to those lost on both sides, and from the numerous different armed forces fighting for the Allies. But some of the most poignant places to visit are the tunnels at La Boisselle, which were dug by soldiers in preparation for the battle of the Somme, and the crater pocked battlefield and preserved trenches at Vimy Ridge.
Amiens isn't all about emotive reminders of the past though, this is very beautiful countryside. The estuaries of the rover Somme and Canche are wonderful places for birdwatchers, and the light here has that magical quality artists rave about - both Degas and Seurat painted its moods extensively.
The best places to stay in Amiens also make excellent stop-overs for those getting to and from the channel tunnel and ferries. So it's best to book early if you want to bag the best hotels.
- Le Macassar is a luxurious, Art Deco style B&B surrounded by romantic gardens. The two rooms and four suites are decorated in bright colours, and some have murals. And there are four public spaces, a Moroccan style den, the Majorelle room - named for the turn-of-the-century cabinet maker of the same name, the library and the gallery, which are both Art Deco wonderlands. This is definitely one of the best places to stay in Amiens if you're here for a romantic escape.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Amiens for you?
Best Hotels in Amiens
Le Macassar 2 rooms from $188Amiens
A luxury Art Deco B&B with beautiful rooms and romantic gardens. Rooms and suites are decorated in stunning colours with murals on the walls and all the mod cons. A charming Italianate courtyard and boxed hedge gardens. Romantic and close to the river.Romantic BreakSights nearby - Villers Bretonneux, Thieval, and Vimy Ridge are all battlefields from WW1.Birdwatching - At the Picardy coastal area at the mouth of the Somme estuary.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Sawdays