- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Fontevraud L'Abbaye
About Fontevraud L'Abbaye
Fontevraud [‘Abbaye is a small town in the Loire Valley of western France. The Abbey itself is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the best places to stay in Fontevraud l’Abbaye make an ideal base for exploring this fascinating spot.
One of the best known abbey complexes in France, the Royal Abbey of Fontevraud was established in 1101 by Robert of Arbrissel, an itinerant preacher and ascetic. The foundation flourished and became the centre for a new order. Nuns and Monks shared the community living in separate monasteries under an overseeing Abbess. The Abbey flourished and in the early years the Plantaganets were great benefactors; Henry II’s wife Eleanor of Aquitaine made the Abbey her main residence in the area, both Henry and Eleanor and their son Richard the Lionheart were buried here. By the late eighteenth century Fontevraud had become the most powerful abbey in France.
The French revolution led to the dispersion of the order and in 1804 Napoleon turned the complex into a prison which it remained until 1963. Since then the buildings have undergone a major restoration and it is now home for a wide range of cultural activities and exhibitions.
The best places to stay in Fontevraud l'Abbaye enable you not only to enjoy the historical site, but also to explore the wider Loire Valley with its numerous chateaux, plus cycling and walking routes, not to mention the great wines and food!
The best places to stay in Fontevraud l’Abbaye
For Great Value
- La Croix Blanche is a relaxed and comfortable coaching inn turned hotel right beside the entrance to the famous Abbey. The rooms and suites are spacious, there's an excellent restaurant serving classic French cuisine or brasserie if you prefer something lower key. It's an ideal family friendly spot with the bonus of a small outdoor pool for enjoying in the summer months.
For a Spectacular Pool
- Demeure de la Vignole is a unique hotel, situated on what was once a troglodite village, with a stunning swimming pool carved out of the rock! The building is a mix of interesting architectural styles and the interiors are chic and contemporary.
For Boutique B & B
- La Marine de Loire is a lovely B & B set in beautiful gardens, on the banks of the Loire. The rooms are nicely decorated, plus there's an indoor pool, spa and sauna.
For something special
- Fontevraud l’Hotel is a very smart property, situated within the bounds of the Royal Abbey itself. The interior is sleek, stylish and contemporary, the restaurant is gourmet standard and award winning. This is a special place to stay in a magnificent setting.
Best Hotels in Fontevraud L'Abbaye
La Croix Blanche 24 rooms from $72Fontevraud L'Abbaye (Loire Valley)
An unpretentious hotel located in the heart of the Loire Valley between Tours and Angers, bang next door to the historic abbey at Fontevraud. Large suites and cosy family rooms, plus an outdoor pool. The restaurant has relaxed outdoor dining and serves classic french dishes. Good for families.Local exploring - An excellent base for exploring all that the Loire Valley has to offer from chateaux to bike rides.Sights nearby - The Royal Abbey of Fontevraud is next door! Loire valley chateaux are within easy reach.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Demeure de la Vignole 12 rooms from $113Turquant, Loire Valley
Nestled into the slopes of the Loire sits a unique hotel which was once part of an ancient troglodyte village. Chic, bright furnishings work beautifully alongside atmospheric architecture dating back to the 12th and 17th century. The hotel boasts a fabulous swimming pool carved out of rock.Sights nearby - A visit to the 900 year old Royal Fontevraud Abbey and the ancient monument of Chateau BrezeFull of character - Individually decorated, unique bedrooms and quirky furnishings.Local markets - Fresh produce from the market in Turquant.Swimming Pool - Heated pool carved into a rockRecommended by - Sawdays
La Marine de Loire 11 rooms from $120Montsoreau, Loire Valley
Boutique B&B on Loire banks. Large guestrooms are decorated in pale colours with modern bathrooms and mezzanine sleeping areas. Indoor heated pool, spa and sauna. Breakfast is served in sunny dining room overlooking the gardens. A lovely spot.Romantic Break - Unique, pretty bedrooms, sunny gardens, indoor pool and spa treatmentsSights nearby - Mariners’ village of Candes St MartinLocal markets - Local brocante market on weekendsSpaRecommended by - Sawdays
Fontevraud L'Hotel 54 rooms from $162Fontevraud L'Abbaye (33 Rue Saint-Jean de l'Habit)
Soak up a thousand year old heritage, at this unique hotel set within Fontevraud Royal Abbey. Sleek and stylish rooms embrace modern and contemporary design. Award winning gourmet food and a cool interactive bar bring this already remarkable and majestic setting to life. In a world of its own!Families - The Duplex Rooms can sleep upto four persons and are ideal for families, plus the restaurant runs a special menus for kids.Foodies - An award winning young chef Thibault Ruggeri runs the in-house restaurant serving incredible regional cuisine.Value chic - It is remarkably good value cosnidering the magnificent settling, Loire Valley location and elegant rooms.Eco break - This eco-friendly hotel uses all natural materials in rooms like solid oak and steel.