- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Rhône-Alpes
Best Hotels in Rhône-Alpes
Château La Commanderie 43 rooms from $150Grenoble (EYBENS)
A chateau 15 minutes away from Grenoble city centre, situated amid a beautiful park with panoramic views available from all rooms. Each room has its own character, sleek and traditional in keeping with the building itself. Plenty of activities on site, as well as tremendous spa facilities.Great walks - Fabulous walking and hiking in the surrounding countrysideSpa - With hot tub, hammam and steam roomSights nearby - Plenty to see and do in GrenobleSwimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor pools
Grand Hotel Uriage 41 rooms from $164Grenoble
Country hotel sitting at the foot of the French Alps, just 7km from Grenoble. Rooms are comfortable and well furnished with velvet and soft colours; each named for a celebrity who came to stay. Come for 2 Michelin Star food at Les Terrasses and a relaxing spa experience in a historical spa town.Foodies - Les Terrasses has 2 Michelin stars and 4 Gault Millau toques, original gourmet experience by Christophe AribertSwimming Pool - Indoor and outdoorSpa - HammamLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Mama Shelter 156 rooms from $51Lyon
Think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory plus the kind of gadgetry you might find at Google HQ. Super modern, super cool, super eclectic. Each room is different, each as fun as the next. The penthouse has access to the roof. City style for technophiles.City StyleContemporarySights nearby - Well located for major sights.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Tablet
Domaine de Clairefontaine 35 rooms from $64Lyon (Chonas-l'Amballan)
A gorgeous family home in hectares of parkland with an excellent Michelin star restaurant. Rustic chic bedrooms with attractive bedspreads and pastel wallpapers. Stunning grounds filled with ponds, raspberry groves, violet carpeted forests, and peacocks roaming the lawns. A romantic gourmet spot.Foodies - Michelin star.Swimming Pool - Outdoor PoolGreat walks - Good for walkers.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Domaine des Buis 5 rooms from $99Albon, Rhône-Alpes
A traditional 18th century house in a charming village. Just five rooms, sleeping 3 each, some modern, some more traditional. Large living area and communal kitchen, pool and gardens. Excellent value for a family or a big group of friends. Low-key and laid back.Sights nearby - Historic monuments to explore in the village.Kayaking - Available locally.Great walks - Good for walkers.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hôtel de la Tour 19 rooms from $114Chatillon sur Chalaronne, Rhône-Alpes
Set in a 14th century, renovated mansion in the medieval town of Chatillon-sur-Chalaronne nestled between Burgundy and the Alps. With a five star menu and fantastic wellness centre, this is a great location to escape life's hustle and bustle. Decor combines classic French chic with modern luxury.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
Le Carre d'Alethius 9 rooms from $78Charmes-sur-Rhône, Rhône-Alpes
With spacious, comfortable rooms, Le Carre d'Alethius offers a pleasant staying experience in the Rhone Alps. Its design features are contemporary as seen in the restaurant which specialises in innovative cuisine. A good low budget option.Country Escape - An ideal country escape in the charming village of Charmes-sur-Rhone with splendid views and Alpine charm.Local markets - Browse the local markets of Charmes-sur-Rhone and pick up some regional produce.
Le Chateau de Champlong 12 rooms from $136Villerest, Rhône-Alpes
A delightful, secluded 16th century chateau in the picturesque town of Villerest. It's stylish, luxurious rooms are individually decorated in accordance with different spices. Take a tour of the chateau's vineyard or explore the charming surrounding villages and chateaux. A romantic castle escape.Romantic Break - A charming and romantic spot with chic interiors, on site spa and splendid gardens.Sights nearby - Explore the fortified villages of Villerest and Saint-Jean-Saint-Maurice.Great walks - There are beautiful walks in the countryside of the Côte Roannaise.Secluded setting - For escaping.
La Ferme des Vonezins 2 rooms from $224Thônes, Rhône-Alpes
Perched on the mountainside outside Thones, La Ferme des Vonezins offers an intimate and personal experience. The cosy rooms have a homely feel and the guesthouse's atmospheric restaurant serves excellent Savoy specialities. Perfect for a relaxing alpine retreat.Foodies - Foodies will enjoy the excellent, atmospheric restaurant specialising in dishes from the Savoy region.Active Holiday - Great for a skiing or hiking holidays, with the mountains on your doorstep.Great walks - Make the most of the great hiking routes around the nearby Talloires.Sights nearby - Take a day trip to the stunning city of Annecy.
The Rhône-Alpes region is large and mountainous. Two great mountain regions, the Alps and the Massif Central, are run through by the Rhône Valley running north-south between them. Mont Blanc is literally the highpoint, surrounded by pretty alpine villages and less charming, but purpose built ski resorts. But there’s also charming Annecy on sublime Lake Annecy, Belle Epoque Évian on Lake Geneva and vibrant, foodie capital Lyon.
Choosing the best places to stay in the Rhône-Alpes region is a challenge. There are some exceptionally beautiful châteaux, dreamy ski chalets, remote mountain retreats and great design hotels in the heart of lively cities. But our Gurus have done their best to refine their local recommendations to create a list of the best places to stay in the Rhône-Alpes region.
Or you could refine your search using our Guru’s Rhône-Alpes Collections:
- The Best Places to Stay in the Ardèche
- The Best Places to Stay in Savoie
- The Best Places to Stay in Haute-Savoie
- The Best Places to Stay in Lyon
- The Best Places to Stay in Annecy
- The Best Places to Stay in Évian
- The Best Places to Stay in Grenoble
- The Best Places to Stay in St Gervais Les Bains
Or our Guru’s Rhône-Alpes Ski Resorts Collections:
- The Best Places to Stay in Val d’Isère
- The Best Places to Stay in Avoriaz
- The Best Places to Stay in Courchevel
- The Best Places to Stay in Val Thorens
- The Best Places to Stay in Tignes
- The Best Places to Stay in Les Arcs
- The Best Places to Stay in Méribel
- The Best Places to Stay in Chamonix
- The Best Places to Stay in Morzine
- The Best Places to Stay in La Clusaz
- The Best Places to Stay in Les Carroz
- The Best Places to Stay in Flaine
- The Best Places to Stay in Samoens
- The best places to stay in Megève
Capital Lyon is THE destination for foodies. Crucible for top international chefs, Lyon has a lively eating and drinking scene which continues into a post-restaurant-closing hours scene when the restaurant staff enjoy their own eating and drinking. As well as rich Lyonnaise cooking, this city is rich in culture, with plenty of history to uncover, art to experience, treasures to purchase, and even civilised strolling to be done along an elegant web of boulevards.
Skiiers should hone in on the Savoie region, as should climbers and anyone after an alpine adventure. Savoie is especially peaky up by the boarder with Italy, and as well as majestic Mont Blanc, Savoie is also where you’ll find the Belledonne Massif, Mont Cenis, the Lauzière Massif. Savoie is also known for its cows, which also means cheeses: Reblochon, Beaufort, Savoie Gruyère and Tomme de Savoie, and its wine.
The Haute-Savoie is a pretty alpine slither of France, in between Switzerland, which is across Lake Geneva to the north, Mont Blanc and Italy to the east and Savoie to the south. Évian, home of bottled water, is here, as is the pretty traditional French alpine town of Samoëns. This department is also known for its traditional, rural villages, very different from the cosmopolitan France you find when you visit Paris.
The Ardèche surrounds the Ardèche River in south central France, and is known for its spectacular gorges and karst features - some of its caves were inhabited by prehistoric humans - and peaceful, rural atmosphere.To really see the Ardèche you probably need access to your own car. The river winds between towering limestone cliffs creating the magical gorges with their surprising colour and dramatic views, and you’ll need a car to se the most spectacular sights - like the naturally created bridge, the Pont d’Arc. There are also a number of very beautiful châteaux in the region.
The Best Places to Stay in the Rhône-Alpes Region
The Best Châteaux in the Rhône-Alpes Region
- Château de Balazuc is a historic château with plenty of original features - like chain mail drapes, stone steps and rampart rooms. But the four rooms offer a comfortable blend of antique and modern fixtures and fittings, and you’re just ten minutes from the famous gorges of the Ardèche and Vallon Pont d'Arc.
- The Chateau de la Tour du Puits is a beautiful, ivy clad château surrounded by a rural landscape. There are seven charming rooms with wonderful views across the gardens, plus lovely original features. Then there are all the modern comforts you might need, like a spa, gym, outdoor pool and an elegant bar. There’s also a restaurant serving great regional cuisine.
The Best Places to Stay in the Rhône-Alpes Region to Escape
- The Château de Rochessauve is a wonderful family château with charming, traditional interiors and three rooms adorned with rich fabrics, antique furniture and paintings. There’s also a lovely pool and terraces.
- The Domaine de Chalveches in the Ardèche is a chic, modern property with beautiful mountain views. Each of the ten rooms and suites are individually designed, but with nature in mind, and there’s a spoiling spa.
The Most Romantic Places to stay in the Rhône-Alpes Region
- Annecy’s Abbaye de Talloires is a beautiful mountain escape, converted from a stunning monastery, set right on Lake Annecy, the Abbey de Talloires has 33 spacious rooms, some with free standing baths and lake views. There’s also a gourmet restaurant.
- Yoann Conte is also on Lake Annecy, an eight room restaurant with rooms with two Michelin stars. The interiors are stunning with a luxurious alpine feel and you’re beautifully secluded from the outside world.
- The Hotel Ermitage looks out over Lake Geneva, a stylish modern hotel with 80 contemporary rooms and access to a golf course and a luxury spa. They even offer babysitting and children’s activities and some equally well organised activities for adults, like snorkelling, tennis and fishing.
The Best Places for a Rhône-Alpes City Break
- For city sophistication, try the Globe et Cecil, a 60 room contemporary townhouse hotel right in the centre of Lyon.
- Converted from a convent, the Villa Florentine now offers every luxury and comfort imaginable. There's a gourmet restaurant, a spa and outdoor pool, and all with spectacular views over Lyon.
- Grenoble’s Le Grand Hotel is smart and functional, very close to the centre of town and the main tourist office and a short walk from some of Grenoble's excellent restaurants.
The Best Places to Stay in the Rhône-Alpes Region for Rural Charm
- The Auberge de Banne in Banne, in the Ardèche, is a beautiful property with an award-winning restaurant in a quaint village. There are just 11 rooms with plenty of luxurious features and a lovely outdoor pool. You’re within the Cévennes National Park.
- The Hotel de la Villeon in Tournon-sur-Rhône is a beautifully renovated property a pretty village in an unspoilt corner of France. The rooms are large, light and elegant and there are pretty gardens.
The Best Places to Stay in the Rhône-Alpes Region for Foodies
- The Château Clément in the Ardèche, is a wonderfully period French château with just five individually decorated rooms and light, airy interiors. There’s also a heated outdoor pool and an indoor pool in the spa - and the food is great, even offering onsite patisserie classes.
- Lyon’s Hotel le Royal doesn't just have a great restaurant, it's also got a lunchtime cooking school. Classical elegance, and everything you could need.
- Cour des Loges is grander. In fact it's nothing sort of spectacular. More than just beautiful, the decor here borders on the theatrical. Five stars worth of individualised decor, hand painted murals and silk tapestries and a Michelin star restaurant. Romantic and special.
- The Château des Allues in Savoie is a haven for foodies who love the great outdoors. There are just two bedrooms, so it’s private and peaceful, but the restaurant is quite something, fed by the châteaux own huge organic kitchen garden. There’s also a beautiful non-edible garden, and as well as workshops for foodies the château also hosts workshops for gardeners. The decor is comfortable but quirky.
The Best Places to Stay in the Rhône-Alpes Region for Skiiers
- One of the newest and best places to stay in Courchevel for luxury is Le Strato. It's not just five star - it has a gastronomic restaurant and gorgeous pool and spa. Even their fireplaces are designer, and when you finish your supper your gloves and boots are returned to you pre-warmed.
- Hotel des Dromants is a luxury hotel in Avoriaz, featuring a quirky ultra modern design. Futuristic rooms take their inspiration from the 1960’s and most enjoy spectacular views. Plus there's an excellent restaurant specialising in Savoyard cuisine, a small spa, and the bar is a popular apres-ski hangout.
- Boasting one of Méribel’s most respected restaurants, Hotel Le Grand Coeur is an all round winner with luxurious rooms, and amazing service besides the gastronomic delights.
- The tradition and authentic feel of L’Oree du Bois will take those fortunate enough to be staying here back into the original spirit of Méribel: no unnecessary pampering, just dignified charm. The piste side location will quickly get you and the tots into the swing of things.
The Best Places to Stay in the Rhône-Alpes Region for Families
- The Hotel Helvie in the spa resort town of Vals-les-Bains is an elegant, 27 room hotel with floor to ceiling windows and traditional furniture. Regional cuisine is served in the restaurant, there’s a nice pool and it’s very reasonable.
The Best Value Places to Stay in the Rhône-Alpes Region
- The Auberge du Lac is an elegant four star property in a gorgeous lakeside setting, with 12 generously proportioned rooms, a lovely infinity pool and an acclaimed restaurant serving modern French food. Great value, with rooms starting from around £70 per night, and great for families.
- La Feline Blanche in Saint Gervais-les-Bains is a small hotel that represents great value for money in the centre of the village and ideally placed for all the available activities. It has a cosy rustic feel and has great alpine views. Rooms start from as little as €85 per night.