- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Lindau
Lindau is an island (and mainland city) on east Lake Constance in Germany's picturesque Bavaria. It lies very close to the German borders with both Switzerland and Austria. The best places to stay in Lindau make an ideal base for exploring the island, Lake Constance and the surrounding area.
Sat on the Lake in front of Austria’s Pfander mountain, Lindau is a big draw with sightseers and holidaymakers for its medieval town centre and picturesque position. Its pretty narrow streets and squares are perfect for strolling (and even losing yourself), and the harbour entrance is not to be missed with its iconic lighthouse which is open to visitors and huge lion statue. Climb the 139 steps to the top of the lighthouse and you'll be rewarded with breathtaking views of Lake Constance, Lindau island and the alps beyond..
Lindau is at its best in spring and summer when the gardens are blooming. There's a dedicated garden culture trail which enables you to discover the best parks and gardens whilst soaking up some culture too.
There is much to see and do -
- visit the old churches of St’ Stephan (1180) or St’ Peter (c.1000).
- Browse the many shops and restaurants on Maximilianstrasse, Lindau's main street
- Try your hand in the Casino.
- Enjoy a boat trip on the Lake.
- Walk or cycle the lake side
The best places to stay in Lindau get booked up well in advance during the peak summer months, so if you want to be sure of a room, get organised and plan well ahead.
For a Gourmet Experience
- Villino is a luxury boutique hotel on the mainland just opposite the island. The place oozes style and sophistication and its restaurant is award winning. Cookery lessons and wine tastings with the sommelier are available. Perfect for foodies or simply those who want to explore the region from a sumptuous base.
Best Hotels in Lindau
Villino 16 rooms from $183Lindau
Fabulously located on the border of Austria, Germany and Switzerland, this is a luxury stop off point. Award-winning cuisine, boutique rooms and suites decorated with flair, cooking lessons, wine tasting, and a rejuvenating spa. Not far from the lake for all sorts of activities. Gourmet, romantic.Outstanding location - An amazing spot for travelling the region as Lindau sits at the crossroads of Germany, Austria and Switzerland.Foodies - Award-winning cuisine, cooking classes, and wine tasting from the sommelier.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.SpaRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux