- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Kovalam
A small beachside town just a forty-minute drive from Kerala’s capital city, Thiruvananthapuram. Kovalam, meaning ‘a grove of coconuts’ remains true to its name as every street, river and beach is lined with them. An epicentre for Ayurvedic medicine, our pick of the best places to stay in Kovalam combine the best of beach life and wellness retreat.
Overlooking the Arabian Sea it is ideal for enjoying sunset walks along its beaches. The water however is more for admiring than for swimming.
Kovalam enjoys three main beaches: Lighthouse Beach, the most southerly and most frequented by tourists; Hawah Beach favoured by the local fishermen and Samudra Beach. A rocky outcrop separates the latter so it is much more secluded than its neighbours. Stay here for ultimate seclusion.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Kovalam provide a stay equal part relaxing; equal part rejuvenating.
For ultimate luxury
- As with every Leela propert, a reservation at the Leela Kovalam is to stay in the lap of luxury, Modern architecture and décor create a state of the art feel. With its stunning infinity pool you’ll have to drag yourself down to their private beach. Fine dining and an excellent spa makes this incredible property, fabulous.
- Vivanta by Taj - Green Cove provides chic interiors and superb onsite activities. Not forgetting the luxurious spa and innovative cuisine, showcasing the best Keralan ingredients.
For traditional wellness
- Kerala is the home of Ayurveda and at Bethsaida Hermitage they stay true to those roots. Offering personalised wellness packages to suit your needs there is a seven night minimum stay to ensure that you receive the maximum benefits from your treatments. A serious wellness stay.
- Another option is Amrutham Gamaya where the bywords are "Spa. Nature. Silence". Come here for a trulty revitalising experience.
For a romantic stay
- Capacious four-posters, floor to ceiling glass windows providing unobstructed ocean views: Surya Samudra Beach Garden is the ultimate romantic getaway. All this plus al-fresco dining and an indulgent spa.
Still not sure which to book? From romance to wellness browse through our list of the best places to stay in Kovalam to start to plan your trip. Alternatively look further afield and check out all our recommendations in Kerala, or contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Kovalam
Amrutham Gamaya 8 rooms from $103Kovalam (Kerala)
A holistic hideaway nestled in Panangode's verdant hills provides guests with 'Spa. Nature. Silence'. Choose from yogic, meditation or Ayurvedic retreats for a truly revitalising experience. Rooms are of a good size but simple and there are tranquil outdoor areas to relax. There is also a pool.Hideaway - A true haven of tranquility you will find little to disturb you here. Unwind and relax.Fishing - Visit the port of Vizhinjam and see what the local fishermen do best!Sailing - Take a boat out on the stunning Vellayani Lake.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Bethsaida Hermitage 60 rooms from $121Kovalam (Kerala)
Foremost a wellness hotel, secondly a beach break. Offering tailor made Ayurvedic packages and large rooms with balconies on which to relax. There is a seven night minimum stay so that guests can get the most out of their treatments. Cuisine is Indian and Chinese with a special Ayurvedic menu.WellbeingSailing - The hotel will be happy to help you arrange a trip along Kerala's iconic backwaters.Sights nearby - Rent a scooter or even better Royal Enfield and explore the surrounding areas.Restrictions on children - Children cannot be permitted at this hotel.
Vivanta by Taj – Green Cove 59 rooms from $122Kovalam (Kerala)
A tropical hideaway with chic interiors and a whole host of activities. From mini golf to cycling; beach cricket to volleyball. Not to mention the indulgent JIVA spa. Rooms feature polished parquet flooring, ornate upholstery and private balconies whilst Jasmine serves international cuisine.Cooking classes - Cocktail making classes with the hotel's in house mixologist is great fun for the grown ups.Sailing - Embark on a boat trip on the hotel's private lagoon.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Surya Samudra Beach Garden 31 rooms from $142Kovalam (Kerala)
Set atop a hillock overlooking the Arabian sea sits Surya Samudra. This modern resort providing guests with a traditional Ayurvedic spa for pampering and a luxurious pool for relaxing. Private cottages include draped four posters and feature outdoor bathrooms. Dining is healthy and largely outdoors.Sights nearby - Kovalam's impressive Hindu temple is within easy reach and well worth a visit.Sailing - An iconic trip along Kerala's backwaters is a memorable experience.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Recommended by - I Escape, Fodors
The Leela Kovalam 183 rooms from $189Kovalam (Kerala)
A fine offering from a firm Indian favourite. Opulent modern interiors with eye-ogling views, its own private beach and infinity pool. Rooms feature balconies and contemporary interiors. Choose from several romantic dining settings from grilled seafood at The Tides or poolside dining at The Terrace.Sailing - The hotel concierge will be happy to help arrange a day or overnight trip along the backwaters.Sights nearby - The nearby mosque, located on Samudra beach, is an atmospheric visit around sunset.Great walks - Along your very own slice of private beach.Cooking classes - Check for timings.