- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Bologna
Best Hotels in Bologna
Hotel Commercianti 35 rooms from $197Bologna
A characterful property located in the heart of Bologna. Individually styled rooms are traditional in style with beamed ceilings, chintz fabrics and some feature frescoes. Hearty breakfasts served. An ideal base for city exploring.Local exploring - Located right in the heart of Bologna and bikes are even provided to make city exploration even easier.Local markets - Wander the streets of the Quadrilatero, the medieval market, where you can sample local delicacies.Sights nearby - Located next to the San Petronio Basilica and the Fountain of Neptune.Cooking classes - Learn how to make regional dishes at “Il salotto di Penelope”.
Hotel Orologio 34 rooms from $206Bologna
An excellently located property in the pedestrianised area of Bologna. Individually designed rooms, traditional in style, with typical Italian opulance. Heavy draped curtains, warm hues and large sash windows. Bicycles for hire to whizz around the city. An ideal base for exploring the city.Local exploring - Well situated overlooking Bologna's historic centre and walking distance from many of its sights.Sights nearby - The Piazza Maggiore and Clock Tower are just steps from the hotel.Full of characterViews - Great views from hotel
Elegant terracotta coloured buildings arc around peaceful pedestrianised squares, also home to some of Italy’s best trattorias and restaurants. Their famous covered porticos create a romantic effect along the historic grid of the city which dates from the medieval period. Many of the best places to stay in Bologna can be found on this grid, but if your idea of the best places to stay in Bologna is a bit more modern, then you’ll find something in the edgier parts of town around the world’s oldest university.
Despite its beautifully preserved historic centre, and penchant for wonderfully traditional cuisine, Bologna is thought of as a progressive city and if you enjoy political or philosophical debate then this town is for you.
Bologna is a great city for getting around on foot, there are just so many beautiful things to see. You’ll also see a lots of bikes.
The sights you might want to walk between include
- the Museo della Storia di Bologna, which is inside a beautiful palace, and uses super modern technology to deliver fascinating information about Bologna’s past;
- the Abbazia di Santo Stefano, which is a religious building, but an architectural marvel as well, with its labyrinth of structures connecting four separate churches.
- Bologna’s Gothic Basilica is an amazing unfinished masterpiece, it was begun in 1390 and is still unfinished, but despite that its almost 70metre sundial was instrumental in discovering the anomalies of our calendar and lead to the decision to create the leap year.
- And the Teatro Anatomico is a 17th Century medical theatre where people came to watch bodies being dissected.
- And then there are the numerous museums, art museums - both modern and traditional - and palaces.
- Bologna also has a Ducati Museum.
As far as starting your explorations go, start on the Via Rizzoli or the Piazza Maggiore, and don’t skip the Fountain of Neptune or the any of the 666 porticoes, which begin at the Porta Saragozza at the end of the Via Saragozza. If you’re looking for a lively cafe or bar head to the 900 year old University Quarter around Via Zamboni.
Don't forget this is a busy city year round, for both business and leisure travellers. So if you want to secure a room in one of the best places to stay in Bologna, get organised and book ahead.
The Best Places to Stay in Bologna
For a city centre location
- In the pedestrianised part of the city, the Hotel Orologio is a traditional Italian hotel with opulent decor and large windows, There are 34 individually designed rooms, some of them within view of the Piazza Maggiore and the Clock Tower.
- The Hotel Commercianti is a 35 room hotel in the heart of Bologna. Expect plenty of character and original features - including beamed ceilings and a fresco or two, and each room is individually designed and decorated. They serve hearty breakfasts which are included in the price.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Bologna for you? Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Bologna, widen the net to include all our Emilia Romagna recommendations or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.