- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Tasman
Covering a large swathe of the South Island, the district of Tasman borders the wine regions of Marlborough, the city of Nelson and the West Coast Region. And, more importantly, if that’s where you’re headed, the Tasman district covers the Abel Tasman National Park, the Nelson Lakes National Park and the Kahurangi National Park, and borders the Tasman Sea, the Tasman Mountains and the Victoria Ranges and Mount Franklin. The best places to stay in Tasman tend to be remote eco-lodges and country house hotels, with spectacular views of the coast or the mountains.
Tasman is sliced through by several major river systems, and there are estuaries along part of the coastline - though also some beautifully golden beaches. So this is a popular spot for fisher-folk.
The national parks and stretches of wilderness also make this a great spot for people looking for wildlife, and there are several well known birdwatching areas.
Some of the Tasman district’s wildernesses have been farmed, and this is a lush crop and hop growing region.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Tasman are all ideally situated to make the most of this spectacular region, whether you're looking for an intimate B&B or a luxury eco-lodge.
For the Abel Tasman National Park
- Peppers Awaroa Lodge is a luxury eco-lodge by the coast, and within the Abel Tasman National Park. There are 26 rooms and suites, all with outside decks and great views over the bush and wetlands. There’s also a wonderful organic kitchen garden. You can’t drive here, you can walk in, sea kayak, or come by water taxi or helicopter.
- The Almyra Waterfront Lodge is a luxurious three room B&B close to the Abel Tasman National Park. Despite being small there’s a pool, hot tub, three acres of gardens leading down to the waterfront and kayaks available for guests to use.
- The Resurgence Luxury Eco Lodge is on the edge of both the Abel Tasman National Park and the Kahurangi National Park, with views over each. The accommodation is luxurious; ten stylish rooms, with a pool, spa, gym and hot tub.
For boutique B&B
- Wairepo House is a boutique, country house hotel with elegant suites and spectacular landscaped gardens - including working apple and pear orchards. There’s also a pool, tennis court and you’re in the heart of some spectacular scenery.
- The Waters is a boutique three room B&B with modern, comfortable suites and extraordinary views of both the sea and the mountains. There’s also a spa pool and sauna, and you’re right ton the edge of the Windhover Estate, surrounded by acres of grape view snd olive groves.
- Pine Hill Lodge has just three charming rooms, all with views over the property's vineyard. There's a hot tub for relaxing and the Tasman Great Taste Trail is on your doorstep.
Still not sure? Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Tasman, or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice. Alternatively you can widen the search and take a look at all our South Island recommendations.
Best Hotels in Tasman
Peppers Awaroa Lodge 26 rooms from $153South Island
Luxury eco-lodge in Abel Tasman National Park. Chic, contemporary interiors complement retro style furnishings. Rooms & suites all have sit out decking areas with great views over native bush, wetlands and an organic kitchen garden. Great framily friendly base for birdwatching and walking.Remote - No direct road access. Only accessible only accessible by foot, sea kayak, water taxi or airBirdwatching - Species include paradise duck, pukeko, tui, bellbird, dotterel, ternViews - Over wetlands and native bushGreat walks - Abel Tasman Coastal Track
Pine Hill Lodge 3 rooms from $176Tasman
Set amongst an orchard, olive groves and walnut trees, this lodge has three boutique rooms with comfy beds, an outdoor hot tub and views out to the property's winery - Pine Hill Serenity Vineyard. Close to Tasman Great Taste Trail. Great for a country escape.Local markets - Nelson Market on SundaysSwimming Pool - Outdoor spa poolFishing - TroutRestrictions on children
The Waters 3 rooms from $193Tasman
Boutique B&B overlooking Tasman Bay at top of South Island. Three modern, clean and comfy suites with terraces offering great sea and mountain views. With a spa pool and sauna. Great walks on next door Windhover Estate.Outstanding location - Set on edge of Windhover Estate, 10 hectares of olives and vinesViews - Overlooking Tasman Bay and to Mt ArthurSwimming Pool - Spa poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Almyra Waterfront Lodge 3 rooms from $220Tasman
Luxury B&B and apartment accommodation close to Abel Tasman National Park. Chic interiors are a clever mix of contemporary and traditional. Plus a swimming pool and hot tub, use of kayaks and three acres of gardens leading down to waterfront. Good for families, groups and adventure-seekers.Birdwatching - Species in area include waders, kingfishers and heronsViews - Across Kina Estuary to Mt Arthur rangesSwimming Pool - Solar heated, outdoor and spa pool tooKayaking - Free use of kayaks
Wairepo House from $257Nelson, Tasman
Boutique country house hotel with elegant suites. Spectacular landscaped gardens including two acres of peonies and a working apple and pear orchard. Outdoor swimming pool, grass tennis court and giant chess. Close to three national parks and Motueka rivers.Fishing - On Motueka riversLocal markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
The Resurgence Luxury Eco Lodge 10 rooms from $342Motueka, Tasman
This eco-lodge offers luxurious, comfortable and stylish rooms in Riwaka Valley on 50 acres of native bush. Some rooms have views over Kahurangi National Park. With a spa, outdoor swimming pool, gym and hot tub. Committed to sustainable practices including solar power and recycling.Outstanding location - In Riwaka Valley on 50 acres of native bush on edge of two national parksGreat walks - 5km of walking tracks around the LodgeViews - Over the Kahurangi National ParkDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.