- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Cuenca
Cuenca's wonderful casas colgadas, or 'hanging houses', which have been built precariously onto, and into, the cliffs and gorges which surround the town, are one of the reasons this little city captures the imagination of so many travellers. These wonderful constructions, but also Cuenca's old town, with its beautiful medieval architecture, are why UNESCO has included the whole city on its World Heritage list. There's limited options when it comes to staying within Cuenca, so many of our Gurus' recommendations for the best places to stay in Cuenca are actually just outside the city, but offer excellent views of the whole spectacular region.
As well as having your mind blown by the seemingly death defying casas colgadas, with their balconies built out over oblivion, Cuenca's highlights are its wonderful Gothic cathedral, its archaeological museum, full of the area's Roman finds and relics, and its Museum of Spanish Abstract Art - which occupies one of the magical casas colgadas.
Don't forget that as with all popular destinations, the best places to stay in Cuenca will be very difficult to book during the peak summer months. So get organised and plan well ahead!
- The Posada de San Jose has been enchantingly converted from an old monastery, with lots of the original charming features, like the uneven floors and exposed beams retained. The modern decor sets this off beautifully too. There's also a tapas restaurant and wonderful views across the Huecar Gorge. Its location couldn't be better, right in the heart of the Historical Quarter.
For rural guesthouse
- La Casita de Cabrejas is a 13 room guesthouse run out of a working farm. Rooms are romantic with their pastel colours, and rustic by design, and they've a nice pool and serve excellent local cuisine. The guesthouse will also help you get the most out of the region with their own adventure company.
- The Parador de Alarcon is easily one of the best places to stay in Cuenca and area if you're after a spot of luxury. It offers four poster beds, exposed stone walls, antique furniture, gourmet food and fabulous views.
- The Hotel Boutique Pinar, just outside Cuenca, is a collection of chic bungalows in a secluded setting. Arranged around a saltwater pool, these rooms and family suites are elegantly decorated. And this is a great spot for taking up some of the regions outdoors-y pursuits, like horse riding, cycling, canoeing or walking.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Cuenca
La Casita de Cabrejas 13 rooms from $64Cuenca (Jábaga)
A lovely private farm cum guesthouse surrounded by vineyards, gardens, and the historical sights of the Cuenca region. Romantic rustic bedrooms in pastel colours have wooden beams and attractive furnishings. Excellent regional cuisine, pool, and an adventure company to get you involved.Active Holiday - The hotel has its own adventure company, so countryside activities are a highlight of your stay.Country EscapeLuxurySights nearby - Cuenca Cathedral.
Posada de San Jose 22 rooms from $92Cuenca (Castile-La Mancha)
An enchanting former monastery. Characterful rooms have uneven floors, exposed beams, white washed walls and modern furnishings. Outstanding views across the Huecar Gorge. A terrace, excellent regional Tapas cuisine, and walking tours nearby. A perfect spot to explore UNSECO listed Cuenca.Local exploring - Cuenca is a UNSECO site, and walking around the gorge is a must. Fishing, climbing and mueseums on offerSights nearby - Mountains of the Serrania and visit Ventano del Diablo, Ciudad Encantada, Callejones de Majadas, Nacimiento del Rio CuervoViews - Huecar River GorgeGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
Hotel Boutique Pinar 5 rooms from $167Cuenca
Hotel Boutique Pinar consists of a number of chic bungalows, in a secluded countryside setting outside Cuenca. There is a shared outdoor seawater pool and plenty of local hiking, cycling and horse riding options. The rooms are decorated in an elegant manner and there are family suites available.Families - The perfect family escape with large family suites available, an outdoor pool and plenty of room to run around.Active Holiday - The surrounding area offers a range of horse riding, cycling, hiking or canoeing.Sights nearby - Cuenca's famous hanging hosues only four miles away and well worth checking out.Great walks - Make the most of the range of beautiful walking trails in nearby Cuenca.
Parador de Alarcon 14 rooms from $175Cuenca
Riverside hotel in a castle. Elegant rooms feature stone walls, antique furniture, regal drapes and river views. Garden and terrace. Sublime gourmet cuisine in the restaurant, and extensive wine list from the region. Unique, full of character and romantic.Romantic Break - Gorgeous rooms with antique four poster beds, housed in a historic castle on the river, with riding and wine tasting tripsFishing - On the Júcar River, hotel can advise on equipment rentalSights nearby - Castillo de Alarcon, Iglesia de Santo DomingoGreat walks - By the nearby Alarcón Reservoir