- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Buckinghamshire
All our Buckinghamshire collections:
Buckinghamshire, or 'leafy Bucks' as those who've fallen for this county's charms, call it, has within its boundaries both notable British treasures, like Bletchley Park and Stowe Gardens, and some spectacular countryside, including the chalk escapement of the Chiltern Hills. Home of the Prime Minister's country residence, Chequers Court, Buckinghamshire has more than its fair share of beautiful grand country residences. And some of these have been converted into some of the best places to stay in Buckinghamshire.
Bucks benefits from being close to London, and its expansive woodlands and rolling hills have made it a historic commuter belt haven between London and Oxford. That's why so many great manor houses have been built here. There's:
- Stowe, with its wonderful landscaped gardens, is now an exclusive public school, but some of its state rooms are open to the public, as are the magical parks and gardens, contributed to by British landscaping legends Charles Bridgeman, William Kent and Lancelot 'Capability' Brown;
- Waddlesdon Manor, a wonderful Renaissance chateau style creation designed for the Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild, so that he could house his collection of French decorative arts in suitably opulent surroundings. And these days known for its magnificent festivals;
- theatrical, Italianate West Wycombe Park, which has received recent fame as one of the locations for shooting of 'Downton Abbey';
- Cliveden with its maze and glorious gardens;
- and Hughenden Manor, the red brick Victorian manor of Benjamin Disraeli.
Buckinghamshire is also where you'll find Woburn Abbey, in the pretty Georgian town of Woburn. No longer an abbey, instead this is a wonderful country pile packed with treasures. There's paintings by Gainsborough, van Dyck and Canaletto, and a bedroomed designed for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. And these days the grounds of the abbey house the Woburn Safari Park, England's largest drive-through African animal reserve.
Proximity to London also played a part in Bletchley's selection to be the home of the WWII code breakers. The facility is now a museum to itself, and still has the wonderfully complex Enigma machine 'crackers' set up and running. And 'Colossus', the world's first computer.
These days it's not just the Prime Minister, Pinewood Studios has a large facility in Buckinghamshire, and the county is well known for being Roald Dahl's home.
Buckinghamshire also has some more unusual attractions, like the hand dug Hellfire Caves, once the haunt of the Hellfire Club, and Bekonscot Model Village, the world's oldest model village, a mini 1930s English town.
- Grand, majestic and inviting, with its beautifully landscaped parks, Hartwell House is one of those country piles owned by the National Trust and run as a country house hotel.
- Danesfield House Hotel and Spa is an enormous Gothic Victorian castle set in 65 acres, with lawns leading right down to the Thames and views over the Chilterns.
- The Crown Inn in Amersham is a delightful modern coaching inn with plenty of character and a reputation for good food - and it can be reached by tube!
- Stoke Park looks like a mini version of the White House, a luxury Palladian mansion turned country house hotel and spa, with golf course and indoor and outdoor tennis.
- Stoke Place just out of Slough is another wonderful country house hotel, this time in Queen Anne style, set in 26 acres designed by Capability Brown.
Best Hotels in Buckinghamshire
The Five Arrows 16 rooms from $129Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
A former coaching inn of the Rothschild's Waddesdon Manor, The Five Arrows provides a historic stay in the home county of Buckinghamshire. Pastel coloured bedrooms with exposed beams, some with four poster beds and traditional bathrooms. By all accounts the restaurant is 5*. A gourmet lover's dream!Great walks - The Chilterns, with their never ending walking paths, are perfect for ramblers.Full of characterFour poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Stoke Place 40 rooms from $129Slough, Buckinghamshire
Country manor house hotel set amid 26 acres of parkland and gardens. Traditional features and contemporary designs. Exudes country-style elegance with a modern twist.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Tablet
Hand & Flowers from $171Marlow, Buckinghamshire
With two Michelin stars this property serves mouthwatering gourmet food. Rooms are equally forward thinking: contemporary fittings combined with exposed beams, set against a neutral backdrop, some with copper baths. The Angus suite has a private jacuzzi terrace. There is a spa and courtyard garden.Sights nearby - Marlow Suspension Bridge is close to the property and the All Saints Church is in nearby Bisham.Sailing - A boat trip along the Thames is an ideal English summer's day activity.Private Hot Tub - Three of the suites have private terraces with hot tubsGreat walks - Take a stroll through Higginson Park along the Thames.
Danesfield House Hotel and Spa 79 rooms from $293Marlow-On-Thames, Buckinghamshire
Romantic Italian Renaissance style country house set in 65 acres of beautiful landscaped gardens leading down to the River Thames. Individually designed rooms offer traditional or contemporary interiors and lovely views. Excellent restaurant and spa. Perfect for some downtime away from the city.Spa - The Spa Illuminata Danesfield House offers pool, jacuzzi, steam room and a vast range of face and body treatmentsSights nearby - Pretty Thameside town Marlow is just 3 miles away, plus Windsor and Henley are close byGreat walks - There are lovely walks round the gardens and plenty of riverside amblesSwimming Pool - 20m indoor poolRecommended by - Johansens, Small Luxury Hotels
Stoke Park 49 rooms from $324Buckinghamshire
Luxury Palladian mansion turned country hotel. Spa and country club with golf course, indoor and outdoor tennis courts, award-winning restaurants.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolSpa5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Johansens, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels