- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
The Lake District
Search the best hotels in The Lake District
About The Lake District
The Lake District is the UK’s largest national park, but it looms large in the nation’s psyche as well as on its maps. Wordsworth waxed lyrical about it, but he’s certainly not the only one to think it’s the most sublime landscape in these isles. For centuries writers, artists and everyone who loves a good old walk in the great outdoors has dreamed of this place - there may be nowhere better to lose oneself in nature’s majesty and be inspired but it.
The Lake District’s popularity means that choosing the best places to stay in the Lake District can be a challenge. There are some really old properties here, and not all of them are the ‘right’ kind of really old. So getting some good advice will definitely save you time, and possibly a regrettable reservation.
Our Lake District Collections
- The Best Hotels in the Lake District
- The Most Romantic Hotels in the Lake District
- Hotels with Hot Tubs in the Lake District
- The Best Pubs with Rooms in the Lake District
- The Best Places to Stay in Windermere
- The Best Places to Stay in Ambleside
- The Best Places to Stay in Bowness-on-Windermere
- The Best Places to Stay in Keswick
The Lake District offers one epic view after another, so the majority of our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in the Lake District have incredible views. Some of the older farmhouse conversions only have small windows, which is a shame, but these properties make up for it with charming features. Our Gurus have sourced great hotel restaurants, some wonderful walkers paradises, luxurious grand dames as old as the hills but still offering impeccable service, and even a collection of properties with private hot tubs.
Windermere and Ambleside are two of the main centres for visitors, both on Windermere, while Bowness-on-Windermere is in the middle of the lake. Keswick is a popular centre in the northern lakes, it’s right on the shore of Derwent Water. There are also numerous smaller pretty villages and hamlets. And out Gurus have found some great properties outside of town for those of you looking for total escape.
Each of the Lake District’s 16 lakes has its own charms, and green fells, lush woodlands and numerous tarns are arranged picturesquely between them, along with several ‘waters’. This region has long been popular with hillwalkers and there’s an exceptional network of trails and marked routes. Scafell Pike is the highest, and some of the busiest trails, but some of the smaller fells are actually more rewarding to hike up and have better views from the top.
As well as going up fells and down dales, it’s also a good idea to get out on the water and to shelter from the changeable weather in a cosy pub or two.
The Best Views in the Lake District
- Windermere’s The Samling Hotel is a charming, peaceful hotel set on a hill and offering spectacular views from all but one of its eleven rooms. Michelin starred chefs prepare the food and prepare it beautifully.
- New House Farm is a four hundred year old farmhouse in a remote part of the Lake District near Cockermouth. The panoramic views take in the Lakeland Fells and in the foreground are 15 acres of gardens. Inside there are just five rooms and some beautiful original features.
- The Holbeck Ghyll Hotel is a 23 room former hunting lodge with classically styled rooms and spectacular views over Lake Windermere. Two of its suites, the Miss Potter and the Ghyll Side Cottage, have private hot tubs. And there’s a very nice spa and a Michelin starred restaurant. So prepare for a treat!
The Best Places to Stay in the Lake District for Walkers
- The Howtown Hotel is a wonderfully old-fashioned, 13 room hotel much loved by walkers and people who want to escape the presence of TVs wifi and a phone signal. The lakeside setting is tranquil the views over Ullswater are incredible and the food is hearty. So hopefully you can really relax.
- Nanny Brow is a relaxed B&B just five minutes walk from Lake Windermere. The decor is wonderfully Arts & Crafts, which helps make it a memorable place to stay. Nanny Brow has 11 vast rooms with views up the Langdale Valley, and a bar and terrace.
- Eltermere Inn is an elegant Georgian country house turned 12 room hotel. The decor is traditional: think high ceilings and roll top baths, and the restaurant offers a hearty, locally sourced menu.
The Most Romantic Places to Stay in the Lake District
- Linthwaite House Hotel is a beautiful Edwardian country house turned slick design-ish hotel with 30 comfortable rooms and an award-winning restaurant. Its location, on a hilltop overlooking Lake Windermere and the Fells is idyllic. Perfect for walkers and fisher-folk.
- The Gilpin Hotel & Lake House has private, cedar wood hot tubs in six of the suites, plus their own private gardens. The rest of the 25 odd rooms also share the luxurious spa and pool. The sprawling, 40 acre gardens are stunning and have their own private lake, with a lake house where you can find some of the suites.
- Randy Pike is a three room boutique hotel not far from the shores of Lake Windermere, but far enough to feel very private. Once a hunting lodge, this property has plenty of charm and character, plus superb views.
- Applegarth Villa is an adults-only boutique bolthole in Windermere with 22 designer bedrooms. Each of the seven suites has its own outdoor hot tub, plus sumptuous details. There’s a relaxed restaurant, plus a cocktail bar with a huge collection of whiskeys.
The Best Lake District Escapes
- The Lodore Falls Hotel is an impressive county house with a gorgeous mountain backdrop and 71 charming rooms and suites. The decor is traditional and there’s an award-winning restaurant, and it’s all set on 40 acres of picturesque Lake District countryside. Think long walks and open fires.
- Hillthwaite is a contemporary, 34 room hotel in a commanding, hilltop position with spectacular views of the Cumbrian countryside. You’re close to Windermere, but far enough away to feel like you’re escaping. There’s an indoor pool and spa if you need some pampering as well.
- The Moss Grove Organic Hotel is ideally located in the heart of the lake district, surrounded by peaceful hills. It aims to be as environmentally sustainable as possible and offers guests 11 relaxed rooms and a Mediterranean style buffet restaurant.
The Best Places to Stay in the Lake District for Families
- The Ryebeck is a comfortable country house hotel in a peaceful spot overlooking Lake Windermere. Relaxed and informal, there’s an excellent restaurant serving modern British cuisine.
- The Waterhead Hotel is a stylish bolthole on the lake in Coniston, with 41 sleep, airy rooms and a lively bistro-style restaurant. There’s loads to do here, but if you run out of ideas there’s also free access to a nearby leisure centre.
The Best Value Places to Stay in the Lake District
- The Punch Bowl Inn in the Lyth Valley is a quaint, 18th century inn in a pretty village. Each of the nine rooms has sweeping valley views and there’s an innovative chef running the restaurant. This is a wonderful spot for walkers, with the added pleasure of being able to come back to his and hers bathtubs and a candlelit supper.
- The Wasdale Head Inn is a a well known climber’s hotel, located just below Scafell Pike. The views are incredible, there’s hearty pub food and 12 simple, but comfortable rooms, starting from around £60 a night.
- The Drunken Duck Inn is nestled into the Southern Lowland Fells in the pretty village of Ambleside. Dating from the 18th century, this property is now one of the Lake District’s best known gastro pubs, and has decor and gardens which look like something out of a ‘Country Living’ spread. There are 17 rooms starting from around £105 per night.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in the Lake District for you?
Best Hotels in The Lake District
Wasdale Head Inn 12 rooms from $77near Gosforth, Cumbria
Famous climbing inn at the head of Wasdale, spectacularly sited below Scafell Pike with magnificent views. Satisfy your stomach with hearty pub food or enjoy the finer things in the wood-panelled Dining Room. Rooms are simple but extremely comfortable and all boast breathtaking views.Great walks - Miles from anywhere, this Inn has some of the most unspoilt walking in England.Views - All bedrooms have stunning views of WasdaleClimbing - At the foot of England's highest mountainSights nearby - The Smallest Church in England, St Olaf's at Wasdale Head.
Punch Bowl Inn, Cumbria 9 rooms from $137Lyth Valley, Cumbria
Quaint 18th Century Inn, ideally situated in a Lake District village with sweeping valley views. Plush boutique styling throughout, rooms exude comfort and indulge in modern bathrooms. Popular lunch food for locals and great dinner menu. Good base for local exploring but a car is needed.Romantic Break - Ideal for a romantic weekend away, with his and hers tubs, candlelite dinners and sweeping views of the countryside.Active Holiday - Some of the best walking in the British Isles is right on your doorstep, be sure to bring your hiking boots!Foodies - Chef Scott Fairweather never fails to impress, with local ingrediants and inventive combinations.Great walks - With something for every level of comitment, from full day hikes to an afternoon stroll.Recommended by - Sawdays
Moss Grove Organic Hotel 11 rooms from $148Cumbria, The Lake District
In the heart of pretty Grasmere village, this eco-friendly B&B offers a relaxed welcome, generous bedrooms, strong use of natural furnishings and Mediterranean-style, brunch breakfasts.Sights nearby - Lake District Tour from WindermereLocal markets - Sarah Nelson's Gingerbread ShopCycling - The Cyclist's Coast to CoastGreat walks - Coast to Coast Guided Walk
L’Enclume 16 rooms from $168Cumbria, The Lake District
Michelin-starred, restaurant-with-rooms with a low-key, relaxed style in a pretty village setting. Creative, locally sourced food and simple but smart rooms that together add up to a wonderfully refreshing and easy-going atmosphere. Cosy suites are the perfect retreat after a slap up meal.Foodies - Fans of haute cuisine will rave about the Michelan starred restaurantGreat walks - Across the village to Cartmel's medieval priorySights nearby - Have a flutter at nearby Cartmel racecourseRomantic - Good for couples.
Nanny Brow 11 rooms from $169Cumbria
Set in peaceful grounds though only five minutes from Lake Windermere, this elegant, Arts and Crafts B&B is full of period details and furnishings. Bedrooms are vast and with lofty views up Langdale Valley. There’s a bar and terrace, too.Great walks - Fantastic for walkers - Miles of great walks over Loughrigg FellViews - Beautiful views stretching for five miles of the Brathay ValleySights nearby - Visit Dove Cottage and the Wordsworth MuseumBack to NatureRecommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
Cedar Manor 8 rooms from $176Windermere, The Lake District
This former vicar's house is a heavenly stay very close to Lake Windermere with impressive views. A hearty menu of gourmet meals is served. Comfortable rooms, some modern some ecclesiastical in theme are decorated with Zoffany fabrics and Lloyd Loom wicker. The coach-house bathroom is palatial.Fishing - From brown trout to salmon there is a huge variety to be caught in Cumbria's lakes and rivers for the DIY fish supper.Sights nearby - The Beatrix Potter House and Museum is a charming afternoon out.Restrictions on children - Children are not permitted at this hotel.Remote - Off the beaten track.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Queen's Head 10 rooms from $178Cumbria
The Queen's Head is a traditional country inn with a smart but relaxed, contemporary style, close to Windermere but away from the crowds. Original features and modern craftsmanship create a bright and welcoming atmosphere plus stylish bedrooms and generous food.Sailing - There are plenty of companies who will take you out sailing on Lake Windemere if you fancy a bit of an adventure!Sights nearby - Head over to Beatrix Potter's house near Sawrey, Holehird Gardens or William Wordsworth's homes at Dove CottageGreat walks - Take a leisurely stroll through the valley or test yourself with higher fells such as HelvellynFull of characterRecommended by - CN Traveller
Applegarth Villa 22 rooms from $182Windermere, The Lake District
Adults-only, boutique bolthole with high-quality, designer bedrooms, including sumptuous suites with private hot-tubs. Family-run with a relaxed atmosphere and bistro-style restaurant and bar with an expansive collection of whiskeys. A real, spoiling treat in a great location.Romantic Break - Adults only hotel with a cocktail bar, huge rooms and private hot tubsSights nearby - Beatrix Potter and Wordsworth's houses are a short drive awayPrivate Hot Tub - All the seven suites have their own private outdoor hot tub.Sailing - A sailing trip along the iconic Lake Windemere
The Pheasant Inn, Cumbria 15 rooms from $182Cockermouth, Cumbria
An old, remote coaching inn, with fine dining and bistro. Friendly and welcoming with well kept gardens and a cosy lounge with fireplace. Enjoy country walks and fishing in the nearby Lake Bassenthwaite. A country retreat with access to local spa and pool.Foodies - Enjoy locally sourced produce at this acclaimed casual Bistro- think wholesome food, fine wines and craft ales.Country Escape - Make the most of your surroundings at this charming coaching inn just meters from the Bassenthwaite Lake.Sights nearby - Head to Dalemain House and Gardens and explore the historic house and it's beautiful gardens.Great walks - Sale Fell is on your doorstep, and for the more adventurous Skiddaw range 10 mins away.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Ryebeck 24 rooms from $195Bowness-on-Windermere, Cumbria
A comfortable country-house hotel in a peaceful setting, with beautiful views of Lake Windermere, yet still close to popular attractions. Relaxed and informal, with comfortable, unfussy bedrooms, it has an excellent restaurant turning out well-crafted Modern British dishes.Great walks - Superb walking either low-level or higher fells such as Langdale Pikes.Sights nearby - Visit Beatrix Potter’s house less than two miles from the hotel.Views - Great views from hotel
Grange Hotel 50 rooms from $208Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria
One of a kind and full of character: old fashioned, genteel Victorian hotel. Ornate rooms with heavily draped beds and antique style furniture. Beautifully manicured gardens. Blissful indoor pool, jacuzzi and extensive spa. Fabulous restaurant. Wonderfully romantic.Local exploring - Set on four acres of landscaped parklands boardering the Lake District, yet within the town and convenient for exploring.Great walks - Endless walks in the fells, tarns and lakes of the National Park, plus the hotel will pack you a lunch.Sights nearby - Entertain children at the Beatrix Potter Experience, a wonderful family outing.Swimming Pool - Indoor Spa Swimming Pool
Hillthwaite 34 rooms from $189Cumbria, The Lake District
A contemporary rural property sat perched a-top a hill with far reaching views across the Cumbrian countryside. Smart rooms mix traditional patterns and colouring with contemporary style. An indoor pool and spa provide some serious pampering. A charming spot for a rural escape.Country Escape - Located in the stunning Lake District close to Lake Windermere. Ideal for spending days in the great outdoors.Great walks - Make the most of the miles of hiking trails through some of the UKs finest countryside.Sights nearby - Visit Blackwell house and admire the Arts and Crafts architecture.Sailing - Take a romantic cruise on Lake Windermere.
The Waterhead Hotel 41 rooms from $215Coniston, Cumbria
A stylish bolthole amongst the rugged scenery of the Lake District, with views of Windermere lake. With sleek and airy rooms, a lively bistro-style restaurant and free access to a nearby leisure centre, it’s a place to relax and recharge. There is a jazzy bistro restaurant and good wine selection.Country Escape - Lakeside property with ringside view of Windemere and the beauty of CumbriaSights nearby - Both Wordsworth's and Beatrix Potter's former houses are under 10kmsSailing - Take a boat out on the famous Lake WindemereGreat walks - Up 'The Old Man of Coniston'
Howtown Hotel 13 rooms from $216nr Penrith, Cumbria
Wonderful old-fashioned, down-to-earth hotel in the Lake District. Popular with walkers and those seeking the peace and quiet provided by absense of TVs, wifi and phones. Good value with great views and hearty meals. Tranquil lakeside setting.Sights nearby - Visit the historic Dalemain House, with tudor and medieval rooms, behind a Georgian façade.Great walks - Fabulous base for walks around the Lake District.Views - Beautiful views over UllswaterRemote - Off the beaten track.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Linthwaite House Hotel 30 rooms from $255Windermere, Cumbria
Slick, stylish designs meet an intimate Edwardian country house offering all round comfort. Award winning dishes and fine wines at the restaurant. From its hilltop location over Lake Windermere and the Fells - explore The Lake District on foot, bike or horseback. Serenity at its finest!Total relaxation - Pamper yourself with in-room beauty treatments and massages, refreshing walks and spoiling four course meals.Romantic Break - Take the stunning views, plush suites, two man tubs and candlelit dinners and you are guaranteed romance.Fishing - Try your hand at Fly fishing on the hotel's lake, a wonderfully peacefull way to spend an afternoon.Great walks - The hotel provides route-finding sheets of all the spectcular local walks, plus a guide if needed.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Kiwi Collection, Sawdays
The Forest Side 20 rooms from $259Grasmere, Cumbria
Recently renovated, The Forest Side is a romantic gothic mansion just outside Grasmere in the heart of the Lake District. Offering chic and spacious accommodation with plenty of light hues, this dog-friendly spot boasts 43 acres of superb gardens and stunning cuisine. A top-notch country retreat!Great walks - The Lake District is home to many breathtaking hiking trailsSailing - Hire a rowing boat on nearby GrasmereRemote - Off the beaten track.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Randy Pike 3 rooms from $261Cumbria
Randy Pike is a superb boutique hotel not far from the shores of Lake Windermere, a wash with charm and character. A former hunting lodge, the aesthetic is stylish and urbane with modern design features and carefully selected furnishings. Perfect for a relaxing romantic break in the countryside.Romantic Break - A romantic and intimate setting with deluxe suites, home-made cookies, roll top baths and superb views of the woods.Country Escape - This quaint and cosy hotel makes for the perfect country escape to the Lake District.Great walks - Make the most of the beautiful walking in the surrounding Cumbrian countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the home of Windermere's most famous resident, Beatrix Potter.
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House 31 rooms from $280Windermere, Cumbria
Immaculate, Relais & Chateaux country house hotel, with luxurious bedrooms and private suites. A separate Lake House with suites, pool, spa and rooms with private Hot Tubs. Set in 40 acres of stunning surroundings with a picturesque lake and lots of activities to offer nearby.Foodies - Chef Hrishikesh Desai knocks it out of the park everytime, he crafts exciting menus using locally sourced wonderful ingrediants.Romantic Break - Six of the incredible suites come with their own private gardens and cedarwood hot tubs, ideal for a romantic getaway!Country Escape - 20-acre gardens filled with magnolia, cherry blossoms and copper beech, not to mention the stunnig private lake.Fishing - Fishing can be organised on site, either on the private lake or a day trip to somewhere nearby.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Relais & Chateaux, Sawdays, Michelin Travel
Windermere Boutique Hotel 13 rooms from $287Windermere, Cumbria
A beautiful Edwardian house hotel, near the shores of Lake Windermere. The individually decorated rooms are comfortable and spacious. Downstairs one can enjoy delicious food in the intimate dining room. In the heart for Beatrix Potter country, this is definitely one for the Peter Rabbit lovers.Active Holiday - Lake Windermere is perfect for watersports, and the surrounding parklands provide top notch walking and cycling options.Local exploring - Explore the rolling beauty of the Lake District, surrounding National Parkland and Beatrix Potter country.Sights nearby - Visit Beatrix Potter's Home- Hill Top, less than three miles from the hotel.Great walks - Beautiful walking routes around the shores of Lake Windermere.
Lodore Falls Hotel 71 rooms from $251The Lake District
An impressive country house boasting a gorgeous mountain backdrop. Charming rooms are traditional in style with warm hues and soft patterns. An award winning restaurant serves regional cuisine. Set within 40 acres of picturesque countryside it's the perfect spot for a rural escape.Country Escape - A country house set in an outstanding location. Take long walks, have a drink by the open fire and feast on regional cuisine.Great walks - The Lake District boasts stunning walking routes.Remote - Off the beaten track.Full of character
Holbeck Ghyll Hotel 23 rooms from $339Windermere, Cumbria
Luxurious former Hunting Lodge overlooking Lake Windermere makes for an intimate hideaway. Classically styled rooms offer comfort and views. Michelin starred food and an extensive wine list welcome you at the dining room. Whether enjoying the spa or exploring the grounds - relaxing is on the cards!Total relaxation - Unwind in Victorian English style with pampering suites overlooking Lake Windermere, spa services and impeccable service.Active Holiday - Walkers and ramblers bring your wellies and explore this stunning part of the country.Great walks - Ask at the front desk for an outline of the wonderful walks around the lake and beyond.Private Hot Tub - Miss Potter Suite and Ghyll Side cottage both feature a private hot tub.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Sawdays, Small Luxury Hotels