- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Pennsylvania
All our Pennsylvania collections:
- Best places to stay in Philadelphia
- Best places to stay in Pittsburgh
- Best places to stay in Milford
- Best places to stay in Lancaster
- Best places to stay in Hawley
- Best places to stay in Pennsylvania
One of the original 13 colonies of the United States - and historical heart, some would argue - it was in the state’s largest city, Philadelphia, that the Declaration of Independence and Constitution were signed. Pennsylvania, in the north-east of the USA, is a largely rural and forested state with huge swathes that remain wild and uninhabited. When choosing the best places to stay in Pennsylvania, you can either go deeply rural or opt for one of the two main cities of Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.
- In Philadelphia you’ll find museums and a rich historic centre, including the Benjamin Franklin Museum, the Liberty Bell Centre and Independence Hall.
- Pittsburgh boasts the Andy Warhol Museum while, just outside, is architect Frank Lloyd Wright’s magnificent Fallingwater house.
- To the west of the state you’ll find the Appalachian Mountains and the Pennsylvania Wilds forest.
- In between the urban areas, look out for farmland being traditionally tended by hand by the Amish and Mennonite peoples.
Our choice of the best places to stay in Pennsylvania lets you see both the urban and the rural sides of the state. Plus we have something for all tastes and budgets, from great value inns to chic, modern, city centre luxury.
For a hideaway hotel
- Surrounded by gardens, woodland and lake, and nestling in the beautiful Brandywine valley, the 18th-century Inn at Whitewing Farm will not disappoint if you’re looking for a classic country-house hotel. The airy rooms offer fine bedlinens while, outside, there’s a pool plus seven vineyards to explore on the Brandywine Wine Trail.
- Glasbern Inn, set in 130 acres, is a traditional 19th-century-farm-turned-magnificent-rural-hideaway. Original features of exposed brick and roof timbers have been combined with modern comforts to create rooms that are light and relaxing; some with spa-baths overlooking private verandas. The restaurant offers farm-to-fork dining, while wineries are within easy reach.
- The mid-19th-century property, Hotel Fauchere, in the historic heart of Milford, offers excellent French cuisine in its Delmonico Room restaurant. Rooms are elegantly luxurious and Bar Louis offers great live music and cocktails.
- Cookery classes can be taken at The Lodge at Glendorn, a rustic-chic, boutique hotel in 1500 acres near the Allegheny Mountains. You can pick up tips that are used in the hotel's French restaurant. There’s a pool and spa, too.
The best historic hotels in Pennsylvania:
- The Art Deco-designed Hotel Palomar, in Philadelphia, hosts local artists' work amongst the tiled walls and marble floors of this splendid building. Sleek bedrooms have Art Deco touches plus there are bicycles for exploring the city.
- As the name implies, the Lancaster Arts Hotel, a former warehouse-turned-boutique-hotel, has a gallery showcasing local artists' work. Bedrooms combine original features of exposed brick and wooden beams with contemporary furnishings.
- The spectacularly bold Mansions on Fifth, in Pittsburgh, is an extraordinary Elizabethan-and-Tudor-Revival building with stained-glass windows and plasterwork ceilings. Comfortable, traditionally furnished bedrooms are spacious; some with fireplaces.
For great value
- Carnegie Inn & Spa is a great choice for anyone visiting Penn State College. It's decor is elegant and traditional and there's a gourmet restaurant. Plus rooms start from as little as $139 B&B.
- Or how about the Amish View Inn & Suites? Again rooms start from just $139, and it's ideally located for exploring Amish country.
- The Cork Factory is also great value. Rooms here start from $135.
Nothing here that fits the bill? Browse our list of all the best places to stay in Pennsylvania, or contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Pennsylvania
Cork Factory Hotel 77 rooms from $135Lancaster, PA (Pennsylvania)
19th Century red brick cork factory now boutique hotel in Downtown Lancaster. Rooms feature original industrial elements with contemporary decor and bathrooms. Cork & Cap offers Pennsylvania Dutch dishes and The Baker's Table has a range of savory and sweet snacks. Location if perfect for town.Cooking classes - Chocolate lovers should definitely visit Hersheypark Chocolate World & ZOO America.Local markets - Central Market in Downtown Lancaster.Sights nearby - Longwood Gardens is beautiful.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Carnegie Inn & Spa 20 rooms from $139Pennsylvania
A European stlye inn, just minutes from Penn State University. The decor is deliciously retro with bold wallpaper, ornate plaster work, wood panelling and elaborate antique furnishings. The gourmet restaurant has an extensive cellar, wine tasting evenings are not to be missed. Cosy and unique.Great walks - Stroll through historic districts in State College or the Elm Trees on the Penn State Campus,Swimming Pool - SeasonalViews - Great views from hotelFull of character
Amish View Inn & Suites 50 rooms from $139Pennsylvania
A stylish hotel in the heart of Lancaster’s Amish Country. Comfortable and inviting rooms with mahogany furniture, sumptuous linens and deep soak bathtubs. The pool, gym and games room will keep you entertained. A refined and elegant spot from which to explore the Amish Country.Sights nearby - Explore the Amish Country Homestead’s nine room Amish house and schoolroom with a guide.Swimming Pool - Indoor.Remote - Off the beaten track.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Lafayette Inn 18 rooms from $139Pennsylvania
A superb B&B in stunning Georgian mansion. Offers a variety of 18 individually decorated rooms. Traditional furnishings, fireplaces, armoire, and antiques. Beautiful outdoor breakfast terrace, and an elegant lounge for relaxation. Galleries, shops, and theatres all in close proximity.Sights nearby - Just a walk away from Lafayette College, The Crayola Factory, and State TheatreGreat walks - Safe and picturesque walking and running routes nearbyLively area - In the thick of the action.Romantic - Good for couples.
Inn at Whitewing Farm from $150West Chester, Pennsylvania
1700s farmhouse in romantic Brandywine Valley with views of pond, gardens, pool and tennis court. Fireplaces, fine linens and modern amenities make up the light rooms. Breakfast in the Hay Barn starts the day perfectly. Explore Vineyards, country houses, rivers, history reenactments and more.Great walks - Brandywine Valley Wine Trail showcases seven vineyards in the area.Sights nearby - Beautiful French villa, Nemours Mansion, in well manicured gardensKayaking - The Brandywine is an excellent river for all the family.Opulent
The Sayre Mansion 22 rooms from $150Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
A historical mansion, now B&B, offers outstanding comfort in the centre of Bethlehem. Meticulously restored, the rooms offer a blend of historic elegance with all mod cons. Think polished wood floors, sumptuous fabrics, and cosy fireplaces. This stunning spot is perfect for a romantic getaway.Sights nearby - A few blocks from downtown BethlehemFull of characterGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Inn at Leola Village 62 rooms from $150Leola, Pennsylvania
Authentic inn offering uniquely designed rooms and suites in the heart of Amish country. The traditional, luxurious accommodation has plush fabrics, fireplaces and period furnishings (some with whirlpool bathtubs). The two Italian restaurants, spa and an outdoor pool are all for guests to unwind.Sights nearby - Hershey Amusement Park is close by for chocolate lovers.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolPrivate Hot TubFull of character
Morris House Hotel 15 rooms from $153Philadelphia
Built in 1787, the charming Morris House is now one of Philly's leading boutique hotels. Original sash and shutter windows, antique furnishings and wooden floors, combine with the finest linens, bathrobes and service to give this hotel it's unique blend of history and opulence. A must visit!Sights nearby - Liberty Bell, Christ Church & Ben Franklin Grave.OpulentFull of characterOutstanding location
King's Cottage B&B 8 rooms from $175Lancaster, PA (Lancaster)
A charming, comfortable, and beautiful B&B. Nestled between the tranquil Amish Countryside, and the buzzing energy of Lancaster, this B&B is ideal for both a relaxing retreat and a city break. Elegant and luxurious guest-rooms feature four-poster beds, cozy fireplaces, and traditional furnishings.Great walks - See the raw beauty of the surrounding countryside - rolling farmland, Amish roadside stands, Dairy farms (many tours available)Local markets - Lancaster Central Market, Green Dragon, Roots Country Market, or one of the many antique marketsSights nearby - Visit one of the many museums, markets, shops, or vineyards - all nearbyRomantic - Good for couples.
Ledges Hotel 19 rooms from $180Hawley (Pennsylvania)
Nestled in Wayne County with views of Wallenpaupack Creek, this hotel with wrap-around terrace enjoys a breath-taking spot. Rooms are contemporary & comfortable. GLASS offers small plates to share with a wide range of American wine, beer and spirits. Perfect choice for exploring rural Pennsylvania.Great walks - To Hawley, the local town, to see Lake Wallenpaupack and Lighhouse Harbor Marina.Kayaking - An afternoon with Kittatinny Canoes.Sights nearby - Hawley Silk Mill is on site.Full of character
Hotel Palomar 230 rooms from $190Philadelphia (Pennsylvania)
Previously the American Institute of Architects, this iconic 1929 Art Deco hotel is now home to local artists' works. Contemporary, light rooms offer luxury touches like Frette linens and Bigelow toiletries. Square 1682 serves contemporary American cuisine and there are bikes to borrow for exploringLocal exploring - Bang in the centre of town, so ideal for checking out all of Philadelphia's best bits.Sights nearby - Benjamin Franklin Memorial.Full of characterOpulentRecommended by - Tablet
The Settlers Inn 22 rooms from $195Hawley (Pennsylvania)
1927 historical hideaway offers antique decor mixed with modern luxuries to make 21 unique, comfortable & charming rooms. The Chestnut Tavern's popularity with locals is a testament to the organic, farm-to-fork ethos employed here. The most superb spot for outdoors lovers, families and groups.Great walks - Hawley has a two mile walking trail through the park and along the Lackawaxen River.Birdwatching - Eagle spotting in the cooler months is possible.Local markets - Silk Mill has a range of shops.Sailing - Lake Wallenpaupack.
Glasbern Inn 38 rooms from $200Fogelsville, Pennsylvania
Country hideaway at a 19th Century farm set in 130 acres. Historical building meets modern luxury - rooms are large, comfortable & home to a TV, spa bath & fireplace. The restaurant mirrors the farmhouse ethos of Farm-To-Fork dining with sustainable consciousness. Pool, spa and gorgeous gardens.Sights nearby - Visit Vynecrest Winery, just 10 minutes’ drive from the hotel.Remote - Off the beaten track.Full of characterSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hotel Fauchere 16 rooms from $207Milford (Pennsylvania)
1852 hotel turned modern boutique in the heart of Milford's historical district. Large rooms come with contemporary bathrooms. The Delmonico Room is renowned for its French cuisine. Bar Louis offers live music and cracking cocktails. Ideal location for a weekend breaks exploring, wining and dining.Great walks - Through the Historical District of Milford you will find 50 Victorian buildings of architectural and historic significance.Sights nearby - The Upper MillFull of characterSpaRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
Lancaster Arts Hotel 63 rooms from $210Lancaster, PA (Pennsylvania)
Red brick warehouse come art-loving boutique hotel, featuring works from local artists throughout the property. Chic rooms are contemporary in style with spoiling Egyptian linens and designer soaps. John J. Jeffries Restaurant champions local farmers and organic produce.Sights nearby - The Lancster Museum of Art.Full of character
Hotel Monaco 268 rooms from $219Philadelphia
This hotel sits in the perfect location for exploring the historic centre of Philadelphia. Colourful, vibrant and energetic rooms, with a hosted complimentary wine hour every evening. Includes the unique views of Liberty Bell Centre and historic parks. Excellent choice for a Philly city break.Local exploring - A great central location plus hotel bikes to borrow make this ideal for exploring the sights.Sights nearby - Walking distance from the Independance Hall, Liberty Bell, buzzing boutiques - and more!Full of character - An abstract and colourful guestroom decorOutstanding locationRecommended by - Tablet
Hotel Monaco 248 rooms from $250Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania)
In the downtown Golden Triangle is this lively, modern hotel offering luxurious rooms, gym and a springboard for Pittsburgh exploring. The Commoner serves American cuisine and mirrors the cities industrial ancestors in decor. Do not miss the daily wine hour, perfect way to meet fellow guests.Sights nearby - U.S Steel Tower is aroung the corner.Full of characterLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Tablet
Mansions on Fifth from $255Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania)
Elizabethan and Tudor architectural revival in Pittsburgh, complete with stained glass windows, wooden floors and a grand piano. Luxurious rooms are all unique in style. Breakfast in-room and Pittsburgh city close for restaurants, art galleries, museums and theatre. A historical must-see.Sights nearby - The Andry Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh is a must see.Great walks - Point State Park.Full of character
Rittenhouse 1715 23 rooms from $289Philadelphia (Pennsylvania)
Nestled in a leafy street around the corner from historic Rittenhouse Square, this boutique hotel hits the spot for family city exploring. Classic, comfortable rooms & suites offer stylish, understated luxury accommodation in the heart of the city. Delicious breakfasts & restaurants close by.Great walks - Everything seems to be within walking distance!Full of characterOpulent
The Lodge at Glendorn 16 rooms from $597Bradford, Pennsylvania
Rustic meets luxury at this boutique resting in 1,500 acres bordering the Allegheny Mountains. Wooden decor, plump duvets & fragrant Aveda bath products ensure a relaxing stay. Classic French ingredients make an inspiring menu. Enjoy a restful retreat by the pool, spa or explore the great outdoors.Fishing - Summer months on Bondieu Lake are a perfect afternoon activity for all. Ice fishing in the winter months.Cooking classes - Classes last an hour and must be reserved in advance.Kayaking - Kayak around the Bondieu Lake.Remote - Off the beaten track.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux