- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Save time, save money
Best European Rooftop Bars
Travellers often struggle to find that breathtaking view of an inspiring cityscape and may not realise their very own hotel is home to one of the best European rooftop bars, and thus, some of the best views in town.
Top floor, open-air terraces await those eager view seekers without the hustle and bustle of the touristy spots. And our Gurus have gathered together some of the best European rooftop bars, and the corresponding hotels to inspire you.
Best European Rooftop Bars for something special
- Hotel Continentale's, Sky Lounge in Florence - escape the crowded streets below by visiting this vast deck lined with white cushions, which will make you feel as though you’re in the clouds. Down below you the River Arno flows quietly by as the Ponte Vecchio spans across it.
- ME Madrid Reina Victoria, The Roof, Madrid - Madrid is laid out majestically before you while live music soothes the mind. Keep an eye out for any celebrities as they frequent this most luxurious pad.
- Hotel Duquesa de Cardona, Terrace, Barcelona. The terrace isn’t exactly a high rise but it is situated perfectly overlooking the Port of Barcelona. Cool off in the pool after a long day exploring the city and take in the very best views of the Moll de la Fusta. Open from 9 in the morning until 7 at night.
Best European Rooftop Bars for Foodies
- First Hotel Grims Grenka, Q Lounge, Oslo - Atop of the First Hotel Grims Grenka is a wooden work of art spotted with red cushions. The Q Lounge overlooks Norway’s capital and is the place to be in the summertime as the house chef has a very good reputation. The Q Lounge is open from May until September.
- Adriana Hotel, The Top, Hvar - This award-winning hotel is equipped with a top of the line roof top bar, which looks out onto the harbour, filled with custom yachts. Enjoy a romantic evening as the lights from the houses bring the rolling hills of Hvar alive.
- Bairro Alto Hotel, The Terrace, Lisbon - Highly regarded by visitors and locals, this is the perfect place to grab a cold drink and soak in the rays overlooking the River Tagus. It is a smaller venue holding about 35 guests.
For an evening out
- Hotel Urban, La Terrazzo Del Urban, Madrid - The decor is slick and avant-garde, and views over Madrid’s skyline are a highlight, but after dark, in the candlelight, the sleek, young things arrive, ready to work through the impressive cocktail list and possibly even the plunge pool if things heat up enough…
- Clarion Sign Hotel, Champagne Bar, Stockholm - Very Nordic looking with its dramatic glass design and ultra-modern interiors, this hotel has a Michelin listed restaurant, and of course an excellent roof spa and heated pool. It’s also got a super stylish champagne bar on the eighth floor.
- Barcelo Raval, Barcelona - There’s a rooftop pool and a bar with panoramic city views, and you’re in the heart of Barcelona’s artistic and cultural quarter, near Las Ramblas, surrounded by avant-garde decor and fantastic, modern design.
Best European Rooftop Bars to Escape
- Hotel de Rome, Rooftop Terrace, Berlin - This rooftop terrace has a marvellous view of Berlin’s city centre. Before you lies the turquoise dome of St. Hedwigs Cathedral and colossal entrance into The State Opera House. Music plays from Wednesdays to Fridays.
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel, China Moon Roof Terrace, Munich - Surrounding you is a full view of the terracotta rooftops of Munich, but on the roof you will find a Chinese oasis. After taking a dip in the infinity pool, fill up on the chef’s variety of Asian and Mediterranean masterpieces. This roof is open May to October.
Just for the views
- The Glasshouse, Edinburgh - The Glasshouse doesn’t just have a roof terrace, it has a wonderfully scented roof garden, complete with a Japanese corner and the scent of lavender. And the view over Carlton Hill is wonderful.
- Penz Hotel, The American Bar, Innsbruck - The view here stretches to the snowcapped mountains, and there’s a retractable roof, so if you can enjoy an alfresco drink in the summertime, and a cosy one in winter.
Here's our full list of hotels where you can find the best European rooftop bars:
Continentale 43 rooms from $309Florence
A romantically decorated hotel. And yet, it is also a catwalk for the fashionable and the desired in the heart of Florence. Light open spaces, outdoor sitting areas with magnificent views, and a luxurious spa.Elegant - Florentine architect Michele Bönan evokes harmony, simplicity, and fantasy.Views - Celestial views of Florence's skyline.Roof terrace - Magnificent Sky Lounge Bar.ChicRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Kiwi Collection
ME Madrid Reina Victoria 192 rooms from $232Madrid
Crisp, white and cool without being too bare - minimalism at its friendliest. Fantastic restaurant with a great wine list and hip crowd. The roof top bar is great for lounging at and taking in the views. City style for those with indulgent palates.City Style - Somehow at once both hip and timeless, this sleek modern update on a classic building oozes style from every pore.Lively - Hip and happening.Private Hot TubSpaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Hotel Duquesa de Cardona 64 rooms from $289Barcelona (Catalonia)
Polished and chic, this townhouse with rooftop terrace and views to the port of Barcelona. Contemporary rooms decorated in wood, stone, and natural colours offer a great place to rest your head. Enjoy Catalan dishes at the lively rooftop restaurant. Relax at the pool or head to the nearby harbour.Exclusive offer - Easter Special 5% discountSights nearby - The hotel overlooks Port Vell. Enjoy a stroll around the harbour.Swimming Pool - Rooftop with bar/restaurant.Lively - Hip and happening.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Johansens
Grims Grenka 65 rooms from $189Oslo
Large loft suites, a lively roof top terrace and bar, fantastic restaurant, and extensive conference facilities. A modern hotel with huge simply decorated spaces in the centre of Oslo. An excellent choice for a business visitor.Roof terrace - Lively roof top bar and terrace.Sights nearby - Situated in the centre of Oslo close to all major attractionsLively - Hip and happening.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Adriana Hvar Spa Hotel 59 rooms from $175Hvar
A fabulous spa hotel in a prime spot in Hvar overlooking the bay. Contemporary chic rooms and suites with all the mod cons and balconies. Top of the range spa, excellent Mediterranean cuisine and roof terrace restaurant, and close to all the attractions. Gourmet, pampering, romantic.Wellbeing - The hotel is designed for total pampering.Outstanding location - Fantastically located on the bay front.Spa breaks - Top of the range spa.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape
Bairro Alto Hotel 55 rooms from $251Lisbon (Bairro Alto)
This is Lisbon’s first contemporary boutique hotel with minimalist interiors and a warm ambience. Rooms have white washed walls, frescoes of birds and wooden floors. Sweeping views of Lisbon and the Tagus River from the roof terrace make this a stylish city break.City Style - A charming hotel in Lisbon's arty district, with classic chic decor, hand painted frescoes and amazing rooftop bar.Sights nearby - Right in the centre of town on Lisbon's main square Praça Luís de Camões, within walking distance of the castle.Great walks - The hotel offers two hour free English-speaking walking tours of the hip neighbourhood.Views - Panoramic views of Lisbon and the Tagus River.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Hotel Urban, Madrid 100 rooms from $182Madrid
A fashionable delight of Art Deco style and avant-garde architecture - steel, glass, wood, leather and lots of natural light. Sumptuous food and wine at the restaurant, great cocktails at the lively Glass Bar, and roof top plunge pool to escape the heat. A very slick city spot.City Style - A thoroughly contemporary art deco hotel and art gallery, packed with artefacts, in one of Madrid's trendiest areas.Sights nearby - In the heart of the city’s Golden Triangle formed by the Prado Museum, the Thyssen-Bornemisza and the Fundación Reina Sofia.Swimming Pool - Small outdoor pool5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Clarion Sign 558 rooms from $266Stockholm (PO Box 310)
A big middle-market hotel that delivers the goods with a strong Nordic flavour. A dramatic building with ultra-modern interiors - lots of glass, wooden floors, curvaceous chairs, white washed walls, and natural light. Fantastic roof top spa and swimming pool. Well run and well located.City Style - A contemporary hotel in central Stockholm, with sleek suites, rooftop spa and stunning city views.Sights nearby - Visit the cities narrowest street, Mårten Trotzigs gränd, just one meter wide.Views - Great views from hotelLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Frommers
Barcelo Raval 182 rooms from 108Barcelona
This hotel epitomises modern design with its oval structure and its avant-garde interior decoration. Set in the heart of Barcelona's artistic and cultural quarter. Its rooftop swimming pool with panoramic city views makes it ideal for a trendy city break.Lively area - In the thick of the action.City StyleChainCityRecommended by - Tablet
Hotel de Rome 146 rooms from $366Berlin
One of Rocco Forte's finest hotels. Architectural splendour and grand interiors that ooze contemporary elegance. Sleek rooms and suites in blues, reds and beiges. Fantastic roof top terrace bar/lounge with unrivalled views of Berlin, great spa. An ultra-stylish spot for any city visitor.Sights nearby - Explore the city by hopping on the metro at U HausvogteiplatzSwimming Pool - Indoor PoolFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Mandarin Oriental Munich 73 rooms from $600Munich
Five stars for luxury, service, location and food at this stunning city hotel. Outstandingly situated next to a hive of cultural activities. Immaculate contemporary, but subtle, decoration with Asian influences. Unrivalled views from the rooftop pool and a Michelin-starred restaurant. Magnificent.City StyleSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolSpa - Turkish bathSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
The Glasshouse, Edinburgh 65 rooms from $156Edinburgh
Modern, stylish hotel. Large open spaces filled with natural light. Lavender roof garden with views of Carlton Hill. Patios, verandas, areas for private meetings.Sit-out TerraceViews - Great views from hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Frommers
The Penz 92 rooms from $169Innsbruck
Chic, gourmet, and highly sophisticated. A contemporary style hotel with large sleek rooms and suites, two lively roof terraces, and fantastic breakfasts to top it all off. A trendy spot for couples.Roof terrace - Two fabulous roof terraces.Views - Great views from hotelGourmetCity StyleRecommended by - CN Traveller