- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Hotels on the Alsace Wine Route
The Alsace Wine Route - or Route des Vins - winds 170 kilometres from Marlenheim to Mulhouse close to France’s border with Germany, passing through some 70 wine-growing villages. Our guide to the wine hotels in Alsace focuses on many of these villages, some of which, such as Kaysersberg, Ribeauvillé, Andlau and Obernai, are attractive fortified centres. Like the wines they produce - Riesling, Gewurztraminer and Pinot Gris - they have Germanic-sounding names. The flavours however, are definitely French.
Stay in one of these Alsace wine hotels between April and October and you’re likely to chance upon a village wine or harvest festival, with folk dances, processions - and, of course, wine tastings!
Alsace wine hotels for foodies
- The rooms are idiosyncratic - from chalet-chic to ultra-modern - but the big draw at Le Cerf in Marlenheim is Michel Hussar’s Michelin-starred Alsatian cooking. There’s a lovely terrace for outdoor dining, too.
- Like Le Cerf, Le Parc, in Obernai, has a traditional Alpine exterior that belies a contemporary interior, and a modern take on Alsatian food. It also has indoor and outdoor pools to revive after all that vineyard-touring.
- La Maison des Tetes in Colmar has five-star elegance and a richly decorated restaurant for enjoying its gourmet cooking, plus a shady terrace for sundowners.
Hotels on the Alsace wine route for cosy tradition
- With pretty blue shutters and overflowing window-boxes, L’Ami Fritz is a sturdy village house in the centre of Ottrot. Interiors are cosily traditional, plus there’s an outdoor pool and hearty Alsatian food served in the beamed dining room or on the terrace.
- La Grange a Elise, near Mulhouse, has five handsomely furnished rooms - antiques, parquet flooring - a pretty garden, and gorgeous home-made pastries for breakfast.
Alsace wine hotels for good value
- On the banks of the L’Ill River, Les Pres d’Ondine has bright and homely rooms and a shady terrace. Plus there’s a sauna and hot tub for easing tired limbs.
- Tucked away in deer-filled woods near Selestat, Auberge de L'Illwald offers colourful modern rooms, a small but elegant restaurant, and an outdoor pool. With luck, you might spot eagles flying over head.
Alsace wine hotels for relaxation
- For a romantic escape, try the chalet-style Le Clos St Vincent, Ribeauvillé, set high amongst the vineyards, with balconied rooms and indoor pool. Also wrapped in peaceful woods and gardens,
- La Haute Grange is a red-painted, chalet-style farmhouse with just four bedrooms. Beams and stone walls have been given a chic, creamy-white makeover, turning this into a restful, adults-only haven.
- In the heart of medieval Obernai, A la Cour d’Alsace is an elegant retreat with lovely gardens, indoor pool and - best of all - a spa.
Boutique Alsace wine hotels
- The name - Le B Espace Suites - alerts that this is a one-off. The traditional timbered house at Riquewihr reveals unexpectedly cool interiors: bold colours, silk covers and contemporary lighting mix with exposed stone walls, tiled floors and huge beams. Decorations are eclectic and there’s a sexy red dining room with a wood-fired oven and spit-roast.
- Hôtel a la Ferme, in the small village of Osthouse on the Rhine, is a slick farmhouse conversion where rooms mix contemporary with vintage. It has a well-regarded restaurant plus free bicycles for exploring the famed ‘Route des Vins’.
- In the centre of Colmar, Hotel Quatorze is a study in chic: monochrome bedrooms, original artworks and designer furniture. There’s a black-and-white breakfast room, a sunny terrace for drinks and plenty of restaurants nearby for evening meals.
One of the best things about the wine hotels in Alsace is that they are generally well-priced. Which, of course, means more money to spend on cases of wine to bring home! If you can't find the right property here, then either check out our best places to stay in Alsace or take a look at our Ultimate Guide to wine hotels in France. Altenatively you can call or email a friendly guru for advice.
Le Cerf 18 rooms from $150Marlenheim, Alsace
Le Cerf provides unique accommodation, just 20 minutes outside Strasbourg. Rooms range from retro chic to minimalist modern; throughout its colourful, vibrant interiors make this a charming spot. But the real draw is the food, Michel Hussar's Alsatian cuisine is Michelin starred!Sights nearby - Obernai is just a short drive away, and Strasbourg a mere 20 minutesCooking classes - A wide range of cookery classes are available throughout the year.Spa - Wellness centre offering massage treatments, sauna and hammam.
Le Parc Hotel 62 rooms from $118Obernai (Alsace)
Don't be fooled by the alpine exterior, this hotel is a blend of traditional and modern. The menu is a contemporary take on Alsatian dishes and continental breakfast is a lavish spread. Some rooms are classic country, others brazenly modern - all with views. There are two pools and spa.Great walks - Take a walk up to Mont Sainte Odile Convent, a peaceful abode in this village setting.Sights nearby - The National Automobile Museum is an excellent day out, not just for pertrol heads!Full of characterViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
La Maison des Tetes 21 rooms from $148Colmar
A fabulous Five Star hotel in an Alsatian town. Elegant rooms have exposed beams, sloped roofs, some with views across the courtyard. A gastronomic experience in the restaurant and a lovely shady terrace on which to enjoy a drink. A great choice for families or couples.Romantic Break - Colmar hosts "Little Venice" for boat rides, gourmet meals in the hotel and listen to some jazz at the festivalFamilies - Larger suites can accommodate extra little ones, toy museum, tasty treats from the food marketsGreat walks - Along the Crest Road which links up Cernay and Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines progressing over 77 kilometresLocal markets - Market hall hosts daily food markets
L'Ami Fritz 22 rooms from $108Obernai (Ottrott)
A delightful 18th Century stone house in the midst of the wine growing region. Views of Mont Saint Odile. Delicious Alsacienne seasonal food served in the cosy traditional interior or on the terrace in Ottrott-Le-Haut. Heated outdoor pool for relaxing after a day's exploring. A piece of heaven!Wine tasting - Winetasting nearby. le rouge d'Ottrott & Sylvaner, Pinot Blanc, Crémant, Gewurztraminer, Riesling, Muscat, Crémant…Sights nearby - Ancient monastery dedicated to St Odile, patron saint of Alsace.Great walks - Lovely countryside for walking and hiking for all abilitiesSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool heated from May to September
La Grange a Elise 5 rooms from $112Rixheim, Alsace
Charming B&B just outside Mulhouse. Five bedrooms (including a duplex which can sleep up to four) are traditional in style and feature antique furniture and parquet flooring. Delicious Alsatian breakfasts with regional, home made pastries. Perfect for local exploring.Great walks - Ballons des Vosges Regional Nature ParkCycling - Cycle into the Alsace countrysideGolf - Golf Du Chateau De HombourgSights nearby - Temple Saint Etienne
Les Pres d'Ondine 12 rooms from $80Selestat (Alsace)
Les Pres d'Ondine is a charming guest house located on the quaint L'Ill river. Bedrooms are traditional in style with a homely feel. Enjoy meals on the shady veranda. There is a small spa with sauna and hot tub - facials and other treatments on offer. Fun, low key, local exploring.Birdwatching - The Volerie des Aigles - birdwatching at Kintzheim CastleBack to Nature - A true country abode - complete with horse and cart.Kayaking - Canoeing on the L'IllSights nearby - The Alsace Ecomuseum
Auberge de I'illwald 16 rooms from $96Selestat
Quiet hotel within woods. Contemporary rooms have wooden walls, modern artworks, modern furniture and bathrooms. Outdoor pool, sauna, gym and gardens. Intimate restaurant and bar which is simple and excellent. A great stop off on a wine route, peaceful and lovely.Country Escape - Enjoy outdoor pool, deer-filled forest, eagles flying overhead and fireplaces on your return to hotelSights nearby - The cities of Strasbourg and ColmarGreat walks - In Illwad forestSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Le Clos St Vincent 24 rooms from $142Ribeauville, Alsace
A romantic Four Star hotel set in the hills with valley views and vineyards around. Rooms and suites in the style of wood cabins have elegant furnishings, all the mod cons, and private balconies. Dinner served in the restaurant, indoor pool, and therapeutic spa facilities. A country escape.Views - Stunning valley views from all angles.Sights nearby - St. Ulrich Fortress, Centre de Reintroduction des Cigognes et des Loutres, Chateau du Haut-Koenigsbourg and Kayserberg Castle.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool.Great walks - Good for walkers.
La Haute Grange 4 rooms from $102Fréland, Alsace
Beautifully situated farmhouse B&B surrounded by forest and a lovely garden. Four bedrooms with parquet floor and contemporary style furnishings. Cosy guest sitting room with fireplace and garden with terraces for sitting out. A luxury adults only retreat in the heart of Alsace.Views - Stunning views over the surrounding countrysideIn/by a Nature Reserve - Ballons des Vosges Regional Nature ParkWine tasting - Alsace Wine RouteSights nearby - Just minutes from the "Route du Vin". Loads of pretty villages to exploreRecommended by - Sawdays
A La cour d'Alsace 53 rooms from $164Obernai
Elegant hotel in Medieval town. Bedrooms feature beamed ceilings and antique style furniture. Indoor pool, sauna and spa treatments. Gardens and terraces. Superb regional cuisine, atmospheric bar. A charming stay in idyllic location.Local exploring - Medieval city of Obernai and nearby Strasbourg for sightseeing, cycling, horse riding and spa to relax inFishing - Superb spots in Rhine Valley, hotel can adviseGreat walks - Through nearby Black ForestRomantic - Good for couples.
Le B Espace Suites from $181Riquewihr, Alsace
A traditional timbered house set in the heart of the Alsace wine regions. Boutique suites and one superbly luxurious cottage, set in the vineyards, are filled with eclectic decoration and traditional elements. The restaurant serves a variety of dishes in many different ways. Great for exploring.Wine tasting - Set in the heart of the famous Alsace wine route.Luxury - The hotel's cottage is particularly luxurious.Local exploringGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Hôtel à la Ferme 15 rooms from $95Osthouse, Alsace
Just south of Strasbourg in a small village on the banks of Rhine, a chic farmhouse conversion overlooking a beautiful château. Rooms are an eclectic mix of contemporary design & antiques. Borrow a bike and explore the Alsace wine routes. Enjoy gourmet local French cuisine at the restaurant.Views - Overlooks Osthouse ChateauLocal markets - Good for local colour.Full of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.
Hotel Quatorze 13 rooms from $192Colmar
A chic hotel in town centre. Large rooms feature ipod docks, original artworks and designer furniture, all with beautiful bathrooms. A sunny terrace to enjoy drinks or breakfast. Minutes from Colmar's "Little Venice". Cool, laid back and sophisticated.City Style - Chic bedrooms, lovely restaurants, wander through the old town and take in the tastes and sights at the food marketSights nearby - St. Matthew Church of Colmar, Maison des TetesLocal markets - Market halls hosts daily food marketsGreat walks - Gazon du Faing route