- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Wine hotels in Beaujolais
Beaujolais may be a small region but it is the biggest name in France’s cellar of light, fruity red wines. Famously drunk when young, Beaujolais wines are made from the Gamay grape which grows well on the granite soils of the hilly countryside to the north east of Lyon. The region sits in the Saône valley, in the pocket between the Rhône to the south and Burgundy to the north, and centres on the towns of Fleurie and Villefranche. Our pick of the best wine hotels in Beaujolais are dotted around these towns and numerous other villages. A very broad rule of thumb is that, in general, the quality of the wines increases as you travel north.
Wine hotels in Beaujolais for good value
Not all wine hotels in Burgundy are about luxury and excess, we've found a couple that are perfect for those on more modest budgets.
- Auberge du Clochemerle, in Vaux-en-Beaujolais in the heart of the region, is an excellent-value spot from which to explore the vineyards. A traditional village inn, with just seven, light and airy, modern-rustic bedrooms, it has great dollops of charm and an unexpectedly good restaurant.
- On the northern boundary of the region, La Ferme du Marie-Eugenie is a traditional 18th-century, timber-framed farmhouse set in glorious gardens. Rooms are stripped-back and contemporary, showing off the lovely beams and wooden floors. There’s a cosy lounge and wholesome, relaxed meals. This property is also a good base for exploring southern Burgundy.
Wine hotels in Beaujolais for romance
If you're looking to woo a loved one at the same time as sampling the best of the reds, then our pick of romantic hotels in Beaujolais are for you; from no-holes-barred luxury to a cosy gypsy caravan.
- Surrounded by formal gardens - including some delightful topiary - and 80 hectares of vineyards, Château du Pizay at Saint-Jean-d’Ardières, has a choice of sleek contemporary and romantic beamed rooms. Add a gourmet restaurant, a spa and an infinity pool overlooking the vineyards, and chances are you may never leave.
- For sheer wanton luxury, Château de Bagnols, near Villefranche, is as good as the name suggests. A fortified country house, with corner towers, its vast rooms shimmer with antiques, painted panels and rich drapes. Dine amidst candlelight or on the romantic terrace with heavenly views over vineyards and lake surrounded by 100-year-old lime trees.
- On the banks of the river Saône, just five miles from Villefranche, Le Clos du Chene is a relaxed country house whose rooms are full of rustic romanticism: well-worn antiques, polished floor tiles and pretty drapes. There’s even a gypsy caravan if you want a cosy bolthole. An enormous sitting room, with vast fireplace and minstrels’ gallery, makes the perfect spot for post-prandial drinks.
Boutique Beaujolais wine hotels
- To the north of the region, Auberge du Paradis is a country house with airy, contemporary rooms - stripped floors, white-on-white, retro finds - and shady terrace for views over vineyards. Relax in the pool before dining from the smart, innovative menu that, literally, spices up traditional dishes.
Wine hotels near Beaujolais
Our selection of wine hotels near Beaujolais will suit those on a wider wine tour. The two recommendations below are ideal if you're also planning to explore Burgundy.
- Slip inside the gates and step into a fairy-tale at Château d’Igé, near Cluny. Staircases spiral up stone turrets to vast rooms, gracious with antiques, lavish drapes and huge windows overlooking manicured gardens. Despite the grandeur - there’s a whopping dining room with lavish menus - the atmosphere is genuinely relaxed and warm.
- Also near Cluny, Le Clos de L'Argolay is a peaceful B&B in a large, 18th-century village house with pretty blue shutters and tranquil gardens. Elegant rooms are furnished with a mix of antiques and modern art; breakfast is served on the terrace. With just three bedrooms, this is a quiet, intimate retreat.
One suggestion to consider is to combine a stay in one of these Beaujolais wine hotels with a night or two in Lyon - a city that is a great wine and food-lovers’ centre. If you can't find a property to suit here, then expand your search and check out all our recommendations in Burgundy or take a look at our Ultimate Guide to wine hotels in France. Alternatively call or email a friendly guru for advice.
Auberge de Clochemerle 7 rooms from $78Vaux-en-Beaujolais, Burgundy
A characterful village inn with an excellent gourmet restaurant. Understated charm and great value for money. A more affordable spot to explore the Beaujolais region from.Value chicViews - All rooms have views either over the vineyards or gardenGreat walks - Good for walkers.
La Ferme de Marie-Eugenie 4 rooms from $120Bruailles, Burgundy
Traditional 18th century timber frame farmhouse with stunning garden and terrace. Beautiful interiors combine period features with contemporary furnishings. Classic local dishes, regional home cooking and large breakfasts. A cosy lounge and very welcoming - an ideal hideaway for exploring the area.Value chicGreat walks - Hotel owners can advise on local scenic walking routesSights nearby - Forest Adventure parks nearby - Acro’BathFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
Chateau de Pizay 62 rooms from $292Saint-Jean-d'Ardières, Burgundy
A romantic chateau surrounded by acres of vineyards in the heart of Beaujolais territory. It has everything - a spa, a gourmet restaurant, fabulous rooms and suites, a swimming pool, and luscious greenery as far as the eye can see. A perfect spot for a wedding.Garden - Formal gardens set amid 80 hectares of vineyards.Good wine list - Exceptional cellar.Spa breaksHoneymoons
Château de Bagnols 27 rooms from $305Beaujolais, Burgundy
Medieval Château oozing romance and elegance making a hideaway luxury hotel. Celestial views over the vines and towards the lake from beautiful bedrooms. Enjoy the dishes at the restaurant, explore the spa treatments and walk under the 100 year old lime trees on the terrace. A romantic's paradise.Spa breaks - Indulge yourself with a steam in the Hammam followed by hot stone massages, mud wraps and eye masks- what more could you want?Romantic Break - The French formal gardens, stunning views, couples spa treatments and fairytale interiors ooze romance and glamour.Foodies - The Michelin-starred 1217 serves up inventive and exciting dishes with a local influence.Great walks - Wander the hills, vales, vineyards and olive groves of this spectacular stretch of countryside.Recommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Le Clos du Chene 9 rooms from $157Lyon
A lovely country house on the banks of a river, not far from Lyon. Very romantic rooms blend traditional materials with contemporary finishings for chic effect. Family rooms and a gypsy caravan too. Excellent dinner by arrangement, lots of markets to explore, and plenty of Beaujolais wine tasting.Views - The view opens over the hills of Beaujolais.Romantic BreakFamiliesSights nearby - An ideal base for visiting Lyon, the medieval towns of Perugia and Trévoux, for exploring the beautiful Beaujolais region.
Auberge du Paradis 9 rooms from $156Saint-Amour-Bellevue, Burgundy
A lovely country house hotel surrounded by vineyards and flower fields. Contemporary chic interiors include creamy rooms and an innovative restaurant that uses lots of spice with traditional ingredients. Swimming pool, wine tasting, and lots of neighbouring towns to explore.Foodies - Vineyards to explore and an innovative restaurant that uses a lot of spices.Sights nearby - Not far from Tournus.Views - Great views from hotelGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Château d'Igé 16 rooms from $181Igé, Burgundy
A fortified château with pristine gardens and friendly service. Fairytale turrets with spiral staircases and stone-flagged floors house pretty pastel bedrooms with vast beds and antique furnishings. Fantastic food best enjoyed on the leafy terrace. An idyllic country escape.Total relaxation - Pamper yourself with spa treatments, immpecable service, luxorious fourposter beds and wonderful food.Sights nearby - Just 12km from Cluny in Southern Burgundy and its Romanesque churches, vineyards and highly acclaimed local produce.Great walks - Take an after breakfast stroll through the lush gardens to the river.Outstanding location
Le Clos de L'Argolay 3 rooms from $121Charolles, Burgundy
A quiet B&B in an 18th century building. Large charming rooms feature antique furniture, artwork and lots of individual character. A tranquil garden terrace where breakfast is served. Elegant public areas within hotel. Unique, intimate and great value.Local exploring - In the centre of the village, there is plenty to see within walking distance.Fishing - Tourist office can advise on regulationsSights nearby - Castle DreeLocal markets - Good for local colour.