- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Save time, save money
Best Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills
Two types head for the Côte d'Azur: those who want to be seen, and those who don't. Those who do crowd together on the coast, jangling their jewels on the Corniche and in St-Tropez, enduring nose-to-tail traffic jams as they crawl along the coast. Those who don't want to be seen head to one of our Guru’s best hotels in the Côte d'Azur hills, and love the region as much for its broom-covered hills as for its raffish, scintillating seaside; for the dry heat, clear light and scent of pine in the air; and for the heady fusion of art and landscape, wine and sunshine, ancient villages and modern sophistication that gives the Côte d'Azur its dazzling character.
Only a handful of the hotels that are set in the foothills of the Alpes Maritimes just behind the coast have made the cut to our Guru’s list of the best hotels in the Côte d'Azur hills: here they are, both contemporary and traditional, to suit all pockets.
The Best Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills
The Best Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills for Perfect Views
- The Château du Domaine St-Martin is a large chateau in the hills with views to the coast, a spa and a two Michelin starred restaurant.
- Or there’s’the seven room Histoires de Bastide, a charming boutique B&B surrounded by beautiful gardens and views of the Provencal hills.
The Best Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills for Romance
- Try La Grande Bastide, a gloriously luxurious 18th Century country house conversion with views over the valley all the way to the coast - it’s not far from the beach or Nice, but still secluded.
The Best Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills to Escape to
- La Bastide de St-Antoine in Grasse has just eight, large rooms, and an excellent restaurant surrounded by lovely gardens and olive groves.
- Or there’s the Hotel Alain Llorca, a chic hotel in the Provencal countryside with ten elegant, antique filled rooms, a charming terrace, shady gardens and Michelin starred cuisine.
The Best Hotels in the Côte d'Azur for Great Value
- The Hôtel Le Hameau is an elegantly rustic Provencal farm conversion overlooking a valley about 15 minutes from the beach, with 17 rooms starting from around £85 per night.
- Also around £80 per night is the Auberge de la Madone, a family run hotel right on the edge of a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean, surrounded by olive groves and orchards.
- Or for a little closer to £100 per night you could stay at the Hotel du Clos, which is a lovely village hotel with a Michelin starred restaurant.
The Best Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills for A Private Party Feel
- Try the four room luxurious B&B, La Parare, a converted 17th Century farmhouse with a rustic chic, yet romantic vibe.
The Best Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills for Art Lovers
- La Colombe d'Or Hotel is decked with an impressive art collection - Picasso, Chagall and Miro, among others, grace the walls. The style is rustic chic and the restaurant is fabulous.
The Best Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills for Buzzy Breaks
- La Maison du Frêne in Vence, is a four room boutique hotel in a strikingly done up 18th Century townhouse with an amazing private art collection and vibrant, airy rooms.
- Or try the Hotel Cantemerle which combines peace and buzz, just inland from Nice and the coast, with a gourmet restaurant, spa and lovely private grounds.
If you can’t find your idea of the best hotel in the Côte d'Azur hills on our Guru’s list,
- you'll find more rural hotels in our list of the Best Hotels in the Provence Countryside,
- expand your search to include our Guru’s complete list of the best places to stay on the Côte d'Azur,
- come back to the beach and refine your list to the best Côte d'Azur beach hotels,
- or choose a popular Côte d'Azur base, and search for the best places to stay in Cannes, the best places to stay in Nice, or the best places to stay in St-Tropez,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Hôtel Le Hameau 17 rooms from $99St Paul de Vence
A Provencal farm conversion, beside the road to St Paul de Vence, overlooking the valley. Simple but elegantly rustic bedrooms and a large infinity pool surrounded by beautiful fragrant gardens. a peaceful, charming haven just 15 minutes drive to the beach and a ten minute walk to St Paul.Local exploring - Walking distance to the medieval village of St Paul de Vence and a short drive to the many nearby villages.Country Escape - Beautiful gardens full of flowers and sundecks, soak up the Alpes-Maritimes countryside.Local markets - Venice has been a market town for centuries, head down to the picturesque square every Tuesday and Friday.Great walks - Wander the large and well landscaped gardens planted with fragrant lemon and orange trees
La Grande Bastide 14 rooms from $157St Paul de Vence
Gloriously luxurious 18th century country house with valley and coastal views. Sumptuous rooms and suites in creams with all the mod cons and private balconies. Enormous swimming pool, hot tub, and plenty to do at the beach. Not far from NIce, it epitomises the romance of Provence.Views - Stunning views towards the coast and into the valleys below.Romantic Break - Beautiful bedrooms with patios straight onto the garden.Sights nearby - Fondation Maeght, Place du Grand Jardin, Vence Cathedral and Porte du Peyra.Swimming Pool - A candle lit pool in the evenings is the perfect spot for an aperitif.Recommended by - Sawdays
Château du Domaine St-Martin 46 rooms from $512Vence, Côte d'Azur
A fairytale chateau in the hills, with coastal views. Boasts a Michelin-starred restaurant and luxury spa. The classically sumptuous suites with balconies and private villas encapsulate French country chic. Luxury and tranquillity with fine dining.Honeymoons - An enchanting fariytale hotel with charming suites, private balconies with spectacular views of the sea.Foodies - There are several fantastic restaurants including the Michelin starred Saint Martin.Sights nearby - Close to the Chapelle du Rosaire de Vence, a church designed by Henri Matisse.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool within lovely gardensRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Histoires de Bastide 7 rooms from $146Tourrettes-sur-Loup, Côte d'Azur
Charming boutique B&B. Surrounded by beautiful gardens and the serenity of Provence's hills. Contemporary elegant rooms with private terraces overlooking olive trees. Spa, swimming pool, and close to gourmet restaurants. Utterly romantic.Romantic BreakSwimming Pool - Large Outdoor PoolSpaLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Auberge de la Madone 17 rooms from $104Peillon, Côte d'Azur
Enchanting family-run inn perched on a cliff-edge high above the Med, with fabulous sea views. Fantastic on site restaurant serves locally grown produce to the highest standard. Understated rooms with private balconies boast spectacular views of the orchards, olive groves and distant sea. Romantic.Local exploring - Ideal for an active explorer, start with the proerty grounds and work your way to the town and surrounding countryside.Romantic Break - Wonderful views, delicious food and intimate rooms make this an idyllic couples hideaway.Foodies - Michelin recommended restaurnt serving locally grown produce in a traditional style.Great walks - There is wonderful hiking in the surrounding mountains and forests.
Hotel Alain Llorca 10 rooms from $266St Paul de Vence (La Colle sur Loup)
A chic hotel in the Provencal countryside. Large, elegant rooms are filled with antiques, white washed walls, and rustic furnishings. Outdoor pool, terrace, and a shady garden. Michelin starred cuisine, intimate bar. Grown-up, peaceful, gourmet.Country Escape - Set into the hillside, yet just 7km from the Med, offers peace and tranquility with a dash of gourmetGreat walks - On the beaches west of NiceSailing - Many schools nearbySights nearby - Saint Paul de Vence
La Parare 4 rooms from $139Provence
A gorgeous B&B in a 17th century farmhouse. Rooms are rustic-chic with stone walls, bare wooden floors, and fireplaces alongside large bathrooms. Salt water outdoor pool, terrace and gardens. Spa treatments available. Romantic, laid back and welcoming.Romantic Break - Bathtubs built for two, gourmet dinners on the terrace, pool and the beaches of French Riveria close bySights nearby - Cannes, Antibes, Monaco, Vence, St Paul de Vence, Eze, Tourettes sur Loup, Biot, Villefranche sur Mer, St Jean Cap FerratLocal markets - In Ventimiglia, San Remo and BordigheraCooking classes - With chef Frederic GallandRecommended by - Sawdays
La Colombe d'Or Hotel 25 rooms from $261St-Paul-de-Vence, Côte d'Azur
A family run hotel steeped in history. Unpretentious style and service lay the set for legendary art work including Picasso and Matisse. The Provençale cuisine is worthy of a visit alone and served in a laid back atmosphere. A truly unique property.Writing a novel - Steeped in romantic history, the hotel was an artists haven during WWII, this is an ideal property for inspiration and escapism.Honeymoons - A whimsical hotel ideal for romance, with lovely gardens, charming suites, and an indefinable mystique.Secluded setting - For escaping.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Recommended by - Fodors
Hotel du Clos 11 rooms from $135Le Rouret, Côte d'Azur
A lovely village hotel with a Michelin star restaurant. Rooms and suites in contemporary elegant style. Olive trees scatter the garden and breakfast terraces. Great value for money in a great location.Restaurant - Michelin starred restaurant and a bistro for something more relaxed.Foodies - Michelin star restaurant.GourmetSights nearby - Close to Grasse, the famous perfume capital, plus all the attractions of the Cote d'AzurRecommended by - I Escape
La Maison du Frêne 4 rooms from $177Vence, Côte d'Azur
Strikingly done-up 18th century house. Vibrant decoration, large airy suites and a truly amazing private art collection. House party feel and exuding plenty of character. A luxurious a chic townhouse stay and a good base for local exploring.Artworks - Fabulous modern art by Hockney, Arman, Gilbert and George, pop-art, as well as pastiches of Picasso and Lichtenstein.Local exploring - Perfect for following in the footsteps of the great artists who spent time here and nearby.Romantic Break - These opulent and lavish suites set the tone for romaance.Local markets - The nearby towns of Biot, Tourette-sur-Loup, Valbonne as well as Vence itself hold local produce markets every week.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
La Bastide de St-Antoine 18 rooms from $251Grasse, Côte d'Azur
Eighteenth century country house in Grasse, surrounded by lovely gardens and olive groves. The romantic rooms are a triumph: simple, stylish and effortlessly elegant. The on site restaurant is famed in the area for its astute use of local flavours. Grown up, charming and wonderfully French!Country Escape - Surrounded by beautiful gardens, olive groves and hectares of rolling farmland this elegant hotel is the perfect country escape.Foodies - The on site restaurant is renowned for its gourmet cuisine and wonderful ambience. Cooking classes are also available.Restaurant - Recommended.Great walks - Explore the surrounding gardens, olive groves and farmland, this area is famed for its natural beauty.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Hotel Cantemerle 26 rooms from $146Nice, Côte d'Azur
Attractive hotel and restaurant set in acres of private grounds 15km inland from the coast in charming Vence. Stylish rooms in a cluster of artfully old-fashioned ochre-roofed buildings. Gourmet restaurant, bar, swimming pool and spa. A lovely place to relax and while away a few days.Hideaway - A chic yet peaceful hotel set between the mountains and the sea, with fragrant gardens and lovely pool.Spa breaks - A lovely spa featuring an indoor heated pool, Hammam, Massage room, solarium and an outdoor pool.Swimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor PoolsViews - Great views from hotel