- ✓ Check Prices and book online
- ✓ Save time, save money
Best guesthouses on Crete
Crete has a well-developed tourist industry offering everything from hostels to high-end resorts. If you want to avoid either high prices - usually in the luxury resorts around Elounda and Agios Nikolaos - or high-octane 24-hour partying - centred around the Iraklio region of Malia and Hersonisos - a guesthouse can be a good solution. Our pick of the best gueshouses on Crete should satisfy all tastes, with a selection ranging from the cheap and cheerful to the luxurious.
Some of the best areas are around Réthymno in the centre of the north coast, and areas to the west, including Haniá and Chania. Réthymno, for example, has a delightful, medieval old town which still displays its network of Venetian lanes and Turkish houses, and an impressive Venetian fortress. It also boasts Crete's longest sandy beach
Not only can guesthouses be more characterful and more modestly priced, but they are often family-run. Use our guide to the best guesthouses on Crete to bag yourself a worthy bargain.
Best guesthouses in Crete
- Right on the waterfront of Chania, Porto Antico is a Venetian townhouse offering 10 cool and comfortable, traditional-style rooms. Be sure to ask for a harbour-view bedroom. There are also more contemporary furnished breakfast-and sitting-rooms.
- Overlooking a quiet square, but only five minutes from Chania's harbour, Ionas Boutique Hotel is an Ottoman-style townhouse where rooms are cool in white and exposed stone. A pergola-shaded terrace makes a lovely retreat after a day on the beach or exploring.
- Despite its name, the Splanzia Hotel has a guesthouse feel, with just eight, elegantly rustic rooms and offering great value for central Chania.
- It's worth the (slightly) extra money to stay at La Maison Ottomane, a restored Venetian mansion also in Chania. More like a private house, the three bedrooms mix antiques, wood floors and Persian rugs with modern, marbled bathrooms. Breakfasts are served in the quiet courtyard.
- For a richly historic feel, Casa Vitae, an Ottoman-Venetian era townhouse in Réthymno, takes some beating for its price. Rooms are atmospheric with stone walls, wooden floors and raftered ceilings, and are romantically furnished with antiques and rich hangings.
Staying in one of the best guesthouses on Crete can prove one of the best ways to experience the island. Nothing here that fits the bill? Then expand your search and check out all our Crete recommendations.
Porto Antico 11 rooms from $74Chania (Crete)
Built in 1659 Porto Antico is a stay amidst history. Location, service and price are this waterfront hotel's big selling points. For those looking for a short break in the heart of Chania, or a base for exploring, it offers an excellent compromise between style and affordability.Families - Family suites and even the dog is allowed - plus you're walking distance from the beachValue chic - Excellent value for such facilities - a no brainerLocal markets - The Old Town's bustling market are a mustGreat walks - Under a kilometre from Golden Beach
Ionas Boutique Hotel 9 rooms from $97Chania (Crete)
Tucked away on a pedestrian square full of potted shrubs and flowering trees, five minutes walk from Chania's Venetian harbour, Ionas Boutique Hotel suits couples and single visitors looking for a quiet haven from which to explore the old town. Rooms range from comfortable to luxurious. Good value.Local exploring - Perfectly located for exloring Chania's Old TownLocal markets - Chania's thriving market stalls are within walking distanceFull of character
Splanzia Hotel 8 rooms from $94Chania
A traditional hotel with lots of rustic charm. Elegant rooms have stone floors, wooden furniture, and private balconies. Gorgeous terraces and courtyard. Cosy bar and walking distance to restaurants. Great value in a central location.Value chicSights nearby - Byzantine monasteries of Ayia Triada.Great walks - Samaria gorge.Diving - Good diving nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
La Maison Ottomane 3 rooms from $160Chania (Crete)
Staying in this restored Venetian mansion is more like being a guest in a rather splendid private home than in a hotel. With just three bedrooms, La Maison Ottomane appeals to those looking for a peaceful cocoon in a quiet corner of the old town.Hideaway - A homely abode in a peaceful part of townSailing - Organise a private boat tourGreat walks - Botanical GardensFishing - Fishing trips
Casa Vitae 8 rooms from $79Rethymno
A historic castle guesthouse with original Ottoman-Venetian architecture. Traditional rooms and suites have wooden floors, stone walls, and four poster beds. A romantic choice, full of character, great value, and walking distance to beaches, restaurants and museums.Value chicSights nearby - Minutes away from the archaeological museum, Venetian harbour and FortessaSailing - Can be booked nearby.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.