- ✓ Check Prices and book online
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Best beach hotels on the Amalfi Coast
The Amalfi coast is a spectacular series of vertiginous limestone cliffs plunging straight into the sea. Rocky headlands are interspersed with tiny coves and curved beaches, the latter a mix of sand and pebble. Some of the beaches can be quite small or hard to reach and can become very crowded in the height of the summer. Indeed, quite often you have to pay to use them. Some hotels have their own private beach or boats to take you to less-crowded coves. All of these are good reasons for knowing which are the best beach hotels on the Amalfi Coast, before you book!
Maiori has the largest stretch of sandy beach along this coast, which makes it a good choice for families, as is nearby Minori. Positano has two attractive beaches: Spiaggia Grande, immediately below the village, and the larger Spiaggia del Fornillo, a five-minute walk around the headland to the west of the town.
Praiano, to the east of Positano, is likely to be less crowded if you don’t mind a pebbly beach or swimming off rocks. However, if you venture a little further east towards Amalfi, you’ll find some proper sandy beaches. Amalfi, with its bustling seafront, also has a decent beach and a quieter one in nearby Atrani.
Best beach hotels on the Amalfi Coast
For a private beach
- With its white-on-white bedrooms, sleek lines and bold, modern art, Casa Angelina in Praiano is a design-junkie's dream. Rooms have private terraces and unbroken sea views while four fishermen’s cottages near the private beach have their own shady terraces. Plus there’s a pool and boat exclusively for guests.
- Set just outside Amalfi, Hotel Santa Caterina, a grand, 19th-century villa, is a luxurious hideaway, with a private beach, lush gardens and a gourmet restaurant. Rooms are boldly styled, mixing the cool contemporary with antiques, ceramic-tiled floors and rich drapes.
- The Belvedere may look dull from its roadside location but, once inside, you step into a different world. With peerless views over the Amalfi coast, steps leading to a private beach, bedrooms of old-fashioned Italian charm and a dining terrace made for lingering, it’s the perfect spot for a quiet seaside holiday. Family-owned and with a pool, too.
- For old-style, grand luxury and faultless service, you can’t go wrong with Il San Pietro di Positano which appears to cling to the cliffs across the bay from Positano town. Not only does it have all the luxurious accoutrements of spa, private yacht, tennis courts, gourmet restaurant, infinity pool and private terraces but there's also a lift down to its private beach.
For easy access to the beach
- Set in the cliffs above Maiori, and a stroll to the coast’s biggest beach, Hotel Botanico San Lazzaro enjoys dreamy views, especially from its dining terrace. Rooms combine tradition with hand-painted furniture, tiled floors and silk fabrics. Terraced gardens are heady with lemons and orchids, plus there’s a pool.
- The high-ceilinged rooms of Lidomare Hotel in Amalfi, a modest, family home, are spotless and airy, and traditionally furnished with well-loved antiques, polished-tile floors, books and figurines. Only a couple of minutes from the Duomo and the seafront, it offers a cool retreat after a day on the beach.
- Close to the Lion steps, which lead straight down to Positano’s Spiaggia Grande, Villa La Tartana is a handsome townhouse with 12 rooms prettily decorated in cool blues and whites with Vietri floor tiles and painted bedheads. Breakfast on your private balcony, or the main terrace and find plenty of supper eating choices stepping distance away.
- Two other Positano hotels, only minutes away from the beach, are the 18th-century Palazzo Murat with its elegantly furnished rooms, bougainvillea-draped terraces and sleek infinity pool;
- and Villa Rosa with its charmingly traditional rooms, vast terraces and pretty floral theme.
Whatever your budget, if you browse our list you will find some of the best beach hotels on the Amalfi coast. Alternatively you can widen the net and explore all our Amalfi Coast selections or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Casa Angelina 39 rooms from $210Praiano
A very cool designer hotel set in the cliff face. Sleekly minimalist with white washed walls, exposed stone work, and clean lines. Rooms, suites, and separate cottages have private sea-facing balconies. Fantastic spa, restaurant and private beach. Ideal for honeymooners.Hotel boats for hire - Private skippered boat for guests.HoneymoonsLuxuryRomantic Break
Hotel Santa Caterina 66 rooms from $516Amalfi
A luxurious retreat in a stunning location. Beautiful rooms in whites and creams with splashes of colour and private balconies. Fabulous restaurants, private beach (reached by a glass lift through the cliff face) and luscious gardens with citrus groves. A tranquil and romantic spot.Beach Life - Guests ride an elevator down to a private beach and enjoy stunning seaviews from the property.Sailing - Book a private motorboat and spend a day exploring the Amalfi Coast by sea.Sights nearby - Visit the ancient towns of The towns of Pompei and Herculaneum.Views - Breathtaking views over the sea.Recommended by - Tablet
The Belvedere 30 rooms from $139Conca dei Marini
Outwardly unassuming, this cliff top hotel will surprise with its magnificent views over the Amalfi coast, secluded private beach down steep steps, and old fashioned charm. A holiday destination for serious lazing in the sun in spectacular surroundings.Views - Spectacular views out to see and down the Amalfi coast.Coastal - Set on a cliff top.Total relaxationSwimming Pool - Seawater Pool
Il San Pietro di Positano 60 rooms from $481Positano
Spectacular Five Star hotel with all you could want for. Romantic bedrooms and suites with tiled floors, vaulted ceilings, sumptuous beds and private balconies. Private beach, restaurant, tennis courts, gorgeous infinity pool, spa and beauty salon. Very luxurious.Romantic - Good for couples.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.HoneymoonsRomantic Break
Hotel Botanico San Lazzaro 18 rooms from $235Maiori
A romantic boutique hotel in a cliff top setting with an infinity pool. Authentically decorated rooms and suites with hand-painted furniture and ceramics, four poster beds, and mezzanine levels. Fabulous orchids; exotic and botanical gardens. Oozing with Amalfi charm.Romantic BreakViews - Lovely views over the Bay of MaioriRestrictions on children - No children allowed, over 18s only.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolRecommended by - Johansens
Lidomare 18 rooms from $83Amalfi
A cosy hotel and charming family home. Traditional high-ceilinged rooms with antiques, large bookcases, cabinets of figurines, tiled floors and white washed walls. Very well priced. A homely choice for a beach holiday.Beach Life - A two minute walk to the beach and lovely views across the Amalfi Coast from the bedrooms.Fishing - Charter a boat and head out Bluefish and Tuna fishing with some locals guides.Sights nearby - The UNESCO Heritage sight of Pompeii is in close proximity.Full of character
Villa La Tartana 9 rooms from $139Positano
A handsome Positano townhouse with enchanting bedrooms and one apartment. Freshly decorated in whites and blues, pretty ceramic wall lights, painted bedheads and private balconies. Excellent breakfasts on the terrace. A cool sanctuary to start the day in before heading to the beach.Local exploring - Right next to the church of Santa Maria Assunta, minutes from the beach and the shorefront bars and restaurants.Sights nearby - Don't miss a trip to the World Heritage Site Pompeii.Sailing - Charter a boat to take you up the Amalfi Coast.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Palazzo Murat 31 rooms from $192Positano
Fabulous 17th century townhouse in Positano with spectacular views. Bougainvillea strewn terraces, an infinity swimming pool, and dreamy rooms and suites with private terraces overlooking the sea. Very romantic, very centrally placed.Sights nearby - Situated in the centre of Positano, close to all the major attractionsSwimming Pool - Pool with stunning viewsFour poster beds - For romantics.SpaRecommended by - CN Traveller
Villa Rosa 12 rooms from $128Positano
A delightful villa featuring bougainvillea covered terraces, with unbeatable views of the Mediterranean. Large delightfully decorated bedrooms in white and pastels, with aquamarine tiled floors. Enormous private balconies make the perfect place for breakfast. An utterly charming spot.Total relaxation - A serene 150 year old villa, with comfortable and elegant rooms, a peaceful garden, sunny terrace and proximity to the beach.Sights nearby - Spend a day exploring Pompeii, a must see.Sailing - Take a boat trip up the Amalfi coast.Views - Great views from hotel