- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Wine hotels in Chianti
If Tuscany is many people’s favourite region of Italy, Chianti is, arguably, the region’s top spot. The heart of Chianti runs from the glories of Florence in the north to the charm of medieval-walled Siena in the south. However, the region's vineyards are quite widespread so when looking for wine hotels in Chianti you can consider places as far apart as Pisa in the west and Arezzo in the east.
Chianti wine hotels in castles
If your idea of an Italian wine hotel is a castello, you’re in the right region - Chianti is awash with suitable candidates.
- Perched on a hilltop with magnificent 360-degree views, Castello di Tornano, near Lecce in Chianti, ticks all the right boxes: bedrooms in turrets, four-poster beds and beamed ceilings. There are even stables, should you choose to arrive on horseback.
- Also in the Chianti hills, Castello di Spaltenna near Gaiole, has luxurious rooms with open rafters and elegant drapes as well as a modern spa and two swimming pools.
Wine hotels in Chianti for foodies
Good food goes hand in hand with great wine and here is our pick of the best wine hotels in Chianti who want the gourmet experience too.
- Surrounded by vineyards, Certosa di Maggiano, a former monastery near Siena, guarantees peace as well as good wines, gourmet meals and luxurious rooms - and rooms that the monks would not recognise.
- Also with its own vineyards, Relais Borgo san Felice is a sprawling country house with hilltop views, tennis, billiards, pool, huge rooms and a well-regarded restaurant.
- For the ultimate foodie escape, take a look at Castel Monastero, a restored medieval hamlet tucked in the hills with two restaurants - one overseen by Gordon Ramsay - a pool and wellness centre.
- If you want some tutored wine tastings, or a cookery lesson, Villa Le Barone, near Panzano, fits the bill: a lovely Tuscan villa with romantic beamed bedrooms and heavenly views. There’s also a pool for relaxing.
City-based Chianti wine hotels
- Overlooking Siena’s 14th-century Duomo, Campo Regio Relais is a quiet retreat furnished with antiques and elegance - lots of polished woods and soft silk drapes. It’s breakfast only but you’re close to plenty of restaurants, and it has a lovely terrace for drinks.
- Prefer to base yourself in Florence? Check out Casa Howard, a chic, designery B&B in a Florentine palazzo. All 13 rooms are different; all bold and sleek.
Unusual wine hotels in Chianti
You don't have to stay in a hotel which ticks all the "normal" boxes, sometimes it's good to be a little different. The following Chianti wine hotels have a little extra to offer.
- Breakfast in the ballroom at Borgo Pignano, a handsome house on a private Tuscan estate with vast fireplaces, richly furnished rooms, frescoed walls and roll-top baths. Art classes, truffle hunting and yoga lessons are some of the offerings, plus there’s a private cinema.
- Discreet yet sprawling, Hotel le Fontanelle is a series of individual, rustic houses, elegantly and comfortably furnished with terracotta tiles, raftered ceilings, archways and private terraces. Surrounded by olive groves, lemon trees and vineyards, it has the timeless feel of a Tuscan hamlet.
Wine hotels in Chianti for good value
- Stay in a Tuscan farmhouse B&B with its own vineyards and saffron farm at Agriturismo Poggiacolle, near San Gimignano. Rooms are rustic-romantic plus there are tennis courts, a swimming pool, and self-catering apartments, if you prefer.
- As the name suggests, L’Ultimo Molino in the countryside near Gaiole, is a former watermill, now elegantly renovated. Bedrooms have original fireplaces and private terraces.
- Equally charming, hilltop Palazzo Leopoldo, at Radda, has traditionally furnished rooms - terracotta-tiled floors, rafters, some four-posters - and a terrace restaurant with lovely views over the vineyards. Doubles start from €120 per night.
If you want to combine a stay in some of these wine hotels in Chianti with a city visit, take a look at our range of hotels in Florence. Or you can widen the net and check out all our recommendations for the the best places to stay in the whole of Tuscany or all our wine hotels in Italy.
Villa le Barone 28 rooms from $206Panzano in Chianti Greve in Chianti, Tuscany
Gorgeous Tuscan villa with spectacular views over the surrounding countryside. Traditional, romantic bedrooms and suites with oak floors, soft fabrics and antique furniture. New heated salt water swimming pool for 2017, winery, restaurant, wine tasting and cookery classes.Views - Stunning views over the Chianti countrysideCountry EscapeHoneymoonsGreat walks - Fitness trail for walking or jogging, plus many walking and hiking paths close by.Recommended by - Sawdays
Castello di Tornano 11 rooms from $149Gaiole in Chianti Siena, Tuscany
A beautiful castle serenely perched on a hilltop. Traditional rooms and apartments, some in turrets, with oak floors, four poster beds, and magnificent valley views. Ideal for weddings, groups or family holidays.WeddingsGroupsFamiliesSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool built into the castle's ancient moatRecommended by - I Escape
Castello di Spaltenna 37 rooms from $219Gaiole In Chianti Siena, Tuscany
A stunning country house resort-style hotel in the hills of Chianti. Beautiful rooms, suites, and apartments decorated with traditional elegance and attractive fabrics. Two pools, fitness centre, spa therapies, excellent Tuscan cuisine and an extensive wine cellar. All the good things in life!Families - Apartments sleep 4 and have their own kitchens.Foodies - Large wine cellar and creative Tuscan cuisine.LuxurySpa breaks
Certosa di Maggiano 17 rooms from $380Siena
A stunning hotel set in a former monastery amongst vineyards. Bespoke rooms are former monks chambers, with chic furnishings and large bathrooms. Games and cigar room, library, garden and pool to enjoy. Outstanding Italian cuisine and views across Siena. A luxurious and relaxed weekend for couples.Foodies - Il Canto restaurant is internationally awarded; Lella Cesari's cooking school, offers discovery of medieval Tuscan recipesCountry Escape - Set in former Carthusian monastry, offers a real sense of peace, with gardens, pool, spa and Tuscany to exploreSights nearby - Siena, Chianti, San Gimignano, Volterra, Firenze, Pienza, Montalcino or Montepulciano.Views - Over SienaRecommended by - Tablet
Relais Borgo San Felice 33 rooms from $343Siena
A stunning country house surrounded by its own vines and parkland. A hilltop position with fantastic valley views. Sumptuous elegant rooms and suites with lots of space and big bath tubs. Fantastic Mediterranean restaurant, billiards, tennis, wine tasting, swimming pool, and views for miles. Wow!Good wine list - Excellent choice from the hotel's own vintages.Wine tasting - The hotel is surrounded by its own vineyards.Foodies - Fantastic Mediterranean cuisine.LuxuryRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
Castel Monastero 73 rooms from $400Siena
Castel Monastero is a magnificently restored Medieval hamlet in the peaceful Tuscan hills. A pool, wellness centre and two restaurants provide ultimate relaxation for guests. Rustic bedrooms and expert gourmet dining overseen by Chef Gordon Ramsay.Full of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotelSpaRecommended by - Tablet
Campo Regio Relais 6 rooms from $251Siena, Tuscany
Romantic, stylish hotel furnished with antiques and enjoying splendid views over Siena. Elegant and spacious individually decorated bedrooms with parquet floors, four poster beds, antique furniture and beautiful fabrics. Lovely breakfast terrace. A romantic spot from which to explore Siena.Sights nearby - Conveniently located for the Piazza del Campo, one of Europe's most beautiful and architecturally interesting squares.Great walks - Wander around the streets of the Medieval town and absorb the architecture and beauty.Views - Stunning views over the DuomoFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
Casa Howard, Florence 13 rooms from $128Florence
Super chic and intimate B&B in an elegant Florentine palazzo, run by textile designers. Each room is unique and follows its own theme with equal style. Centrally located and a truly magical stay.Exclusive offer - Save 20%Cooking classes - The hotel can organise Tuscan cooking classes by an expert chef, with genuine ingredients and traditional recipes.Great walks - The gardens are perfect for strolling aorund and taking a break from the hustle and bustle of the city streets.Sights nearby - The hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the beautiful Basilica of Santa Maria Novella.Full of characterRecommended by - I Escape
Borgo Pignano 17 rooms from $160San Gimignano
A private Tuscan estate and luxury haven. Bedazzling views over acres of land, infinity pool, art classes, breakfast in the ballroom, private cinema, truffling, and palatial bedrooms and suites. A magical spot for couples, weddings, and family holidays.FamiliesRomantic BreakViews - Great views from hotelWeddingsRecommended by - Sawdays
Hotel Le Fontanelle 25 rooms from $400Siena
A wonderful Five Star property surrounded by olive groves, lemon trees and vineyards. Homely accommodation spread through a hamlet-style setting. Each room and suite is beautifully decorated, some with private balconies and views. Fantastic restaurant and spa facilities.Intimate - The hotel is built as a hamlet so that accommodations are homely rather than hotel-like.Outstanding location - Stunning; surrouned by vineyards, rolling hills, and lemon groves.Country Escape5* Luxury - Very high service standards.
Agriturismo Poggiacolle 4 rooms from $97San Gimignano
A gorgeous Tuscan farmhouse B&B with its own vineyards and saffron farm. Four separate self-catering apartments occupy the farmhouse. Rustic-romantic rooms, infinity pool, tennis courts, and spectacular views of the surrounding countryside. Ideal for families and groups of friends.Groups - Some apartments sleep up to 10 people.FamiliesGreat walks - Plenty of walking on the doorstepSights nearby - Just 2km from San Gimignano
L'Ultimo Mulino 12 rooms from $128Gaiole In Chianti, Tuscany
A beautiful water mill renovation in the Chianti countryside surrounded by olive trees and vineyards. Traditional bedrooms have original fireplaces, terracotta floors, and private terraces. Sweeping views from the conservatory restaurant and a lovely pool. Total relaxation without the frills.Sights nearby - Church of San Sigismondo, Gaiole in Chianti StadiumSecluded setting - For escaping.Local markets - Good for local colour.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Sawdays
Palazzo Leopoldo 14 rooms from $137Radda In Chianti, Tuscany
A traditional hilltop hotel with an excellent terrace restaurant and spa. Bedrooms and suites have fireplaces, stone floors, killim rugs and wooden beams. Stunning valley views, indoor and outdoor pools, and cookery courses. Peaceful, serene, and rustic.Swimming Pool - Indoor heated pool, or use the outdoor pool for free at a sister property just 5 mins by car.Sights nearby - Great base for exploring all that Tuscany and the Chianti area has to offerViews - Stunning views from the terraceCooking classes - Check for timings.Recommended by - Sawdays