- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Save time, save money
Rooms with a View: The Best Italian Lakeside Hotels
Breathtakingly beautiful, the Italian Lakes district is a stunning natural backdrop against which man has added some charming towns and villages. Peaceful and glamorous, the Italian Lakes have it all. But one of the best things about holidaying here are the views. Especially the ones from the balcony of your room in one of the best Italian Lakeside hotels.
Our Gurus have sieved through their recommendations for the best places to stay on each of the lakes to come up with a definitive list of the best Italian Lakeside hotels, so you can start to plan your trip!
The Best Italian Lakeside Hotels
- If you want to be right on Lake Como, try the Villa d'Este, one of the more traditional five star hotels, the kind with grand state rooms, chandeliers, heavy fabrics, private balconies and private boats.
- Like the Villa d’Este, Villa Flori is right on the water’s edge at Cernobbio. As well as the unbeatable setting, Villa Flori has 52 contemporary chic rooms and suites, some with enormous balconies which hang out over the lake. Their restaurant offers alfresco dining from an Italian menu, plus there’s a lovely pool and spa.
- The Casta Diva Resort & Spa in Lake Como’s tiny Blevio is a collection of lakeside villas with 73 magnificent rooms, a huge spa and two gourmet restaurants. The beautiful pool actually part floats on the lake itself and the subterranean spa is cut into the rock of the lakeside.
- Sirmione’s Villa Cortine Palace is a grand, old fashioned villa hotel, with 54 rooms and an absolutely splendid setting on a spit of land jutting into Lake Garda. The rooms are grand, and Art Deco in style, with some beautiful frescoes and antiques, and there’s a private jetty, a lovely swimming pool and neoclassical landscaped gardens all around.
- Garda Riviera’s Villa Fiordaliso is a grand 19th Century Liberty-style villa with beautiful, historic interiors and a gourmet restaurant. There are just five rooms, which are traditional but timeless, and all with beautiful views of the lake. There’s also Michelin starred dining and lovely gardens and terraces.
- If you're looking for lakeside grandeur on Lake Maggiore and a central Stresa location, book a room in the traditionally luxurious Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees. The hotel fronts onto the lake, a wonderful white facade with rows of little balconies. It oozes elegance and sophistication and also boasts great facilities including spa and gastronomic restaurant with lake views.
- If you're here for the views one of the best places to stay on Lake Orta is the Villa Crespi. This wonderfully grand villa is an exciting place to approach, but when you arrive you'll probably only have eyes for the views from the lovely terraces. The restaurant has two Michelin stars, so this is also a must for foodies.
The Most Romantic Italian Lakeside Hotels
- The Villa Feltrinelli, in Lake Garda’s Gargnano, is an aristocratic villa conversion, with 21 rooms boasting beautifully restored interiors with antiques, beautiful fabrics and paintings. There’s also a Michelin starred restaurant. The perfect honeymoon hotel for anyone who can afford it.
- The lakeside Locanda San Vigilio in Garda is an elegant, 14 room hotel owned and run by an Italian count! It’s been a hotel for 500 years and is immaculately decorated with antiques and beautiful objets. The hotel even has it’s own Emporium where you can buy beautiful things.
- The Hotel Verbano is on one of Lake Maggiore’s islands, and is a beautiful restaurant with 12 charming rooms with romantic terraces for soaking up the astounding views.
- The Relais Regina Teodolinda, in Lake Como’s Laglio, has gardens which spread right down to the water’s edge. There are just six suites, which have a relaxed, almost rustic charm with all the modern conveniences of course.
- Also in Laglio, the Relais Villa Vittoria is a wonderfully romantic hotel, also right on the edge of the lake. As well as stunning views, this hotel has 11 delicately sumptuous rooms, an excellent restaurant, and peaceful terraces overlooking the lake.
The Best Traditional Italian Lakeside Hotels
- Bellagio’s opulent Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni is an elegant grand dame, with all the trappings of old fashioned luxury. Think doric columns, beautiful antiques, frescoed ceilings, grand sun terraces, spectacular views of Lake Como - of course - and a Michelin starred restaurant. They also have a private boat.
- Or there’s the equally grand, but not quite as lavish, Grand Hotel Tremezzo with 89 elegant rooms right on the water’s edge. Five stars worth of beautifully understated interiors plus generous sun terraces, an excellent restaurant and spa and parklands surrounding the hotel. Plus, one of the pools actually floats on the lake!
- The Bellevue San Lorenzo on Lake Garda in Malcesine, is a charming Belle Epoque villa turned 52 room hotel. As well as being surrounded by beautiful grounds and having lovely lake views, the villa has an outdoor pool, fitness centre and spa.
- The Hotel Laurin is a stunning hotel with 30 rooms and suites, right on the shores of Lake Garda in Salò. Converted from an elegant early 20th Century villa, guests can expect parquet floods, frescoes and Art Nouveau furniture. There’s also a lovely pool in shady gardens and an excellent restaurant.
- The Albergo Milano in Lake Como’s Varenna is a charming hotel in an enchanting lakeside setting. There are a collection of 14 rooms, triples and apartments, all with whitewashed walls and private balconies. There’s also a lovely restaurant.
- Also right on the water in Salò, the Hotel Bellerive is a mid-sized hotel with 46 large, stylish rooms plus an outdoor pool, a fantastic Italian concept restaurant, and sailing and golfing opportunities nearby.
- Beautifully positioned right on Lake Garda at Gardone Riviera, Bella Riva has 23 contemporary rooms and suites, an excellent restaurant and bar and a very nice pool. And the hotel has great watersports facilities.
For Great Value
- Owned by the same family for four generations, the Albergo Olivedo is a gorgeous ten room townhouse hotel right by Lake Como at Varenna. The decor is traditional, with stone floors, pastel walls and private balconies. Family friendly and laid back, the Albergo Olivedo also has a lovely little Italian restaurant. Rooms start from around £90 per night.
- Lake Garda’s Gardesana, in the picturesque fishing village of Torri del Benaco, has 34 simple, comfortable rooms, great views and excellent food. It’s also wonderful value, with rooms starting from under £100 per night, and it’s quite romantic.
- Or there’s the Hotel Catullo in postcard perfect Sirmione, a great value hotel with 56 rooms starting from around £100 per night. There are lovely terraces right on the edge of the lake, a private jetty with direct lake access, plus there’s a great pool. It’s also very family friendly.
- Lake Orta’s Hotel Il Giardinetto is a great restaurant with 59 rooms, right on the water. The food is gourmet. the sun decks hang out over the lake and there’s a romantic atmosphere. Rooms start from around £70 per night.
Still not sure which of our Guru’s recommendations for the best Italian Lakeside hotels might be perfect for you?
- Refine your search to the Best Places to Stay on Lake Garda,
- the Best Places to Stay on Lake Como,
- or the Best places to stay on Lake Maggiore,
- or the Best places to stay on Lake Orta,
- or the Best Places to stay on Lake Iseo,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Villa d'Este 152 rooms from $459Cernobbio
Romantic lakeside opulence without compromise. Almost regal bedrooms, suites, and villas have rich chintzy fabrics, chandeliers and private balconies. Spectacular lake views, excellent restaurant, pool and spa, and private boats. Magnificently special.Views - Stunning views over Lake ComoLuxuryRomantic BreakHoneymoonsRecommended by - CN Traveller, Tablet
Villa Flori 52 rooms from $187Cernobbio
An unbeatable setting on the water's edge of Lake Como. A beautiful hotel with fabulous facilities. Contemporary chic rooms and suites, some with enormous balconies overhanging the lake. Al fresco dining, delicious Italian cuisine, spa and pool. La Dolce Vita!Romantic - A fairytale setting and rooms to match!Views - Stunning views over the lake.Romantic BreakLuxury
Casta Diva Resort & Spa 73 rooms from $461Blevio
A Five Star luxury spa hotel on Lake Como. Sprawling villas house magnificent rooms, a huge spa, and two gourmet restaurants. The floating swimming pool extends into the lake. A great choice for total pampering and relaxation.Spa - Subterranean spa hewn from the lakeside rockFoodiesViews - Great views from hotel5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Villa Cortine Palace 54 rooms from $462Sirmione
Grand and charmingly old-fashioned villa hotel with a splendid setting in pretty Sirmione. Lovely lakeside gardens, grand 30s style bedrooms, frescos and antiques. Private swimming jetty and lovely pool. Super romantic, if you like historic charm.Garden - The hotel boasts a five hectar garden with fountains, neoclassical statues and natural terraces overlooking the lake.Great walks - Wander the huge five acre gardens that surround the property, with elegant landscaping and wonderful statues.Swimming Pool - Heated outdoor swimming pool with outstanding lake views.Opulent
Villa Fiordaliso 5 rooms from $20925083 Gardone Riviera
Very romantic and grand late 19th century, Liberty-style villa with historic interiors and gourmet food. Timeless, traditional rooms with antiques, lakeside views, and lovely gardens and terrace. Michelin starred dining. Intimate and refined.Sights nearby - Vittoriale degli italiani the architecturally fascinating hillside estate in the town is only a 15 minute walk away.Great walks - Plenty of scenic walking routes on the property grounds and surrounding countryside.Sailing - Rent a boat and head out on the lake, the perfect way to explore the shore.Views - Stunning views over Lake GardaRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Grand Hôtel des Iles Borromées 179 rooms from $261Stresa Verbano-Cusio-Ossola, Lake Maggiore
Luxurious lakeside opulence in a Five Star Grand hotel. A beautiful setting, sumptuous rooms and suites, delicious food, spa and plenty to do on the lake. A romantic spot, family friendly too.Romantic BreakSpa breaksViews - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor PoolsRecommended by - CN Traveller
Villa Crespi 14 rooms from $261Orta San Giulio Novara, Lake Orta
A glorious period villa with a fantastic restaurant and gorgeous gardens. Romantic bedrooms and suites have four poster beds, chandeliers, walnut floors and huge marble bathrooms. Stunning views over the lake from outdoor terraces. Very romantic, very good food.Foodies - The restaurant has two michelin starsRomantic BreakViews - Great views from hotelCooking classes - Check for timings.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Villa Feltrinelli 21 rooms from $992Gargnano
Ultimate luxury lakeside hotel in an historic house. Like staying in a private home, full of aristocratic heritage, with restored interiors and antiques, beautiful fabrics and paintings. Gourmet dining, a perfect honeymoon escape for those that can afford it.Romantic Break - The ultimate treat for yourself and a loved oneGreat walks - Plenty of scenic walking routes nearbySwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor Heated PoolSights nearby - Verona just 1 hour awayRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Fodors
Locanda San Vigilio 14 rooms from $282Garda
Elegant and intimate lakeside hotel, full of character, owned and run by an Italian count. A hotel for 500 years, the property is right on the waterside in a charming location, full of antiques and objets. A very special and relaxed place to stay.Views - Wonderful views of LakeLocal markets - The hotel has its own Emporium where you can buy prints of drawings by Venetian artists, painted ceramics and fabrics.Great walks - Wander along the Cypress shaded avenue to the Parco Baia delle Sirene.Sailing - Charter a boat for hire from Lega Navale, just 2 km down the road.Recommended by - Johansens
Hotel Verbano 12 rooms from $157Stresa Verbano-Cusio-Ossola, Lake Maggiore
Special restaurant with rooms set on an island of Lake Maggiore. Excellent local cuisine from romantic terraces overlooking the lake. Lovely bedrooms and living areas in creams, with brick fireplace, wooden beams, white washed walls, and private balconies. Ideal for a romantic break or a wedding.Views - All the rooms have stunning views over Lake MaggioreRomantic BreakHoneymoonsFoodiesRecommended by - Frommers, CN Traveller
Relais Regina Teodolinda 6 rooms from $235Laglio
Situated on the very water's edge of Lake Como, this six suite villa enjoys breathtaking scenery. The suites manage to evoke the rustic charm and relaxed atmosphere once typical for holidaymakers of the past, while injecting the odd bit of modern spice with their furnishings. Sophisticated luxury.Views - Experience extraordinary views of Lake Como from all the suites and gardensGarden - Gorgeous gardens on the water's edgeLakesideRomantic BreakRecommended by - CN Traveller
Relais Villa Vittoria 11 rooms from $167Laglio
Utterly romantic hotel on the edge of Lake Como. Spectacular views, delicately sumptuous rooms, excellent restaurant and terraces, and plenty to do on the lake. Honeymooners would be in heaven!Views - Breathtaking views over Lake ComoHoneymoonsWellbeingRomantic BreakRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, CN Traveller
Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni 95 rooms from $272Bellagio
Opulent largesse and Five Star luxury at this elegant grand hotel. Bedrooms and suites have frescoed ceilings, Doric columns, and antique furniture. Michelin-run restaurant, spa, terraces, spectacular views of the lake, and a private boat to take you onto it. Romantic, pampering, historic.HoneymoonsRomantic Break5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - CN Traveller
Grand Hotel Tremezzo 89 rooms from $301Tremezzo
Five Star Luxury from a Grand Hotel on the water's edge of Lake Como. Elegant interiors are understated, rather than overly lavish. Glossy parquet floors, brightly coloured walls, a mixture of contemporary and Baroque furniture, spectacular views from terraces. Excellent restaurant, spa, parklands.Views - Wonderful views of Bellagio and the Grigne mountains5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Romantic BreakTotal relaxationRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Bellevue San Lorenzo 52 rooms from $211Malcesine
Popular belle epoque villa with lovely grounds overlooking the lake. Five Italian Villas with simple traditional rooms. Highlights include outdoor pool, fitness centre and small relaxation spa. Good value for a stunning spot.Views - Wonderful views of Lake Garda.WellbeingSecluded setting - For escaping.Garden - Attractive outside space.
Hotel Laurin 30 rooms from $151Salò
A stunning hotel on the shore of Lake Garda. Rooms and suites in a 20th century villa are elegant, with parquet floors and all mod cons. Frescoes and art nouveau furniture. Excellent authentic cuisine, pool and shady gardens. An idyllic choice, and perfect for a family holiday.Foodies - Garda Food and Wine Trail & Strada dei Vini e Sapori del Garda: visits to about 100 producers (wineries, oil mills, cheeses).Families - Swimming and Lake Garda to explore by boat. Many child friendly sights in the area, such as movie studio and safari parkSights nearby - Salò, Gardone Riviera, Toscolano Maderno, Gargnano and Limone del GardaViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - CN Traveller
Albergo Milano 14 rooms from $136Varenna
Charming lakeside hotel. An enchanting setting on Lake Como, various rooms, triples and apartments, with white washed walls and private balconies. Very good restaurant and spectacular views from the terrace. A great choice for families, groups and romantic breaks.Sit-out Terrace - Fabulous restaurant terrace over Lake Como.Views - Great views from hotelFamiliesGroupsRecommended by - Sawdays
Hotel Bellerive, Salo 46 rooms from $160Salò (Lake Garda)
A delightful hotel overlooking Lake Garda. Large stylish rooms and apartments, many with views. Outdoor pool, and fantastic Italian concept cuisine. Sailing, golf and opera nearby. Gourmet, family friendly, all in a romantic location.Foodies - Restaurant '100km' is a concept by Fred Plotkin, using products sourced within this distance. Olive oil & wine tours and tastingFamilies - Apartments are big enough for the whole family, with kitchens to make picnics. Boat trips on Lake Garda, swimming and cyclingSights nearby - Brescia and Verona, between Venice and Milan, between the Dolomites and the seaSailing - Minutes from the hotel
Bella Riva 23 rooms from $198Gardone Riviera
Dreamily positioned with views over Lake Garda. Contemporary, but still classic, hotel with fabulous rooms and suites, excellent restaurant, bar and pool. Fantastic watersports and activities. A great choice for families, an outdoor holiday, or a romantic break.Lakeside - Direct access on to Lake GardaActive HolidayViews - Great views from hotelRomantic BreakRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Albergo Olivedo 10 rooms from $115Varenna
Gorgeous townhouse hotel on Lake Como. Charmingly traditional bedrooms have stone floors, pastel walls, and private balconies. Magnificent views from every room and authentic Italian food. Laid back, family friendly.Views - Great views over Lake ComoSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
Gardesana 34 rooms from $115Torri del Benaco
Excellent food and comfortable, simple rooms in Garda's showpiece fishing village. Perfectly positioned in a charming little port, it's a very romantic spot for a good value break. Homely and ideal for local exploring.Local exploring - Central location perfect for exploring Lake Garda and its surroundsFishing - Fishing excursions nearbySights nearby - Verona 40 minutes driveSailing - Sailing on offer nearby
Hotel Catullo 56 rooms from $125Sirmione Brescia, NOT TO SHOW
Excellent value, excellent views. A small hotel with comfortable rooms, a swimming pool, and terraces on the edge of Lake Garda. Family friendly.Views - Great views from hotelValue chicOn the beach - Private jetty with direct access to the lakeSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Il Giardinetto 59 rooms from $86Pettenasco Novara, Lake Orta
Fantastic restaurant with charming rooms on the water of Lake Orta. Gourmet food on romantic terraces, sun decks overhanging the lake, pastel rooms with wonderful views over the lake. A romantic choice for an authentic Italian break.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic BreakSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorGreat walks - Good for walkers.