- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Wine hotels in Tuscany
Tuscany is not only the most famous wine region in Italy but, arguably, one of the foremost wine regions in Europe. This is in no small part due to its romantic landscape of rolling hills, cypress-lined roads and iconic hilltop towns. As one of the country’s largest regions, not surprisingly, the choice of wine hotels in Tuscany is equally broad.
Its signature red grape, Sangiovese, is responsible for the distinctive flavours of Montepulciano and Montalcino wines while Cabernet Sauvignon is the main grape variety of the so-called ‘Super-Tuscan’ red wines. Some of the key areas - Chianti aside (see our separate guide) - are around Montepulciano, Montalcino, Orcia, Livorno and Cortona.
Wine hotels in Tuscany for food lovers
Food and wine always go hand in hand, and there are a great many hotels in Tuscany that are good at doing both. Here are a few of our favourites.
- Surrounded by vineyards near Chiusi, Il Patriarca has a Michelin-starred restaurant as well as romantic, four-poster bedrooms and a pool with dreamy views over the vineyards.
- In the heart of historic Montepulciano, Locanda di San Francesco has four large and elegantly furnished bedrooms with stunning views over this hilltop town. The excellent restaurant is in a stone-walled and arched dining room.
- On the northern outskirts of the main vine-growing region, but close to Pisa airport, Tenuta San Pietro, near Lucca, is a restored 16th-century farmhouse with crisp, cool bedrooms that combine original features with contemporary touches plus offers private terraces and glorious views. The atmospheric restaurant is renowned for its food, plus offers cookery lessons if you want to brush-up your Tuscan cooking skills.
- One of Tuscany’s finest hotels, Il Falconiere is all calm sophistication, elegance and superb service. Its Michelin-starred restaurant is set on a lovely romantic terrace with views over the surrounding countryside.
Wine hotels in Tuscany for those on a budget
Wine hotels in Tuscany are not necessarily all high end luxury. The Hotel Guru can recommend several which represent exceptional value for money, from rural agriturismi to simple guesthouses and B&Bs.
- Overlooking the Orcia valley, from the heart of Renaissance Pienza, Il Chiostro di Pienza is, as the name suggests, a former monastery. Bedrooms are graceful and simple with tiled floors and raftered or arched ceilings. Dine in the cloisters and relax in the pool with those lovely views.
- Also in the Orcia valley, Il Rigo is a country house with vine-covered terraces next to a working farm. It combines a simple rusticity with family antiques and outstanding Tuscan food - cookery lessons available - much home-grown and organic.
- A charming hotel overlooking a piazza in medieval San Quirico d’Orcia, La Locanda del Loggiato has just six spacious rooms in authentic Tuscan style with terracotta floors, raftered ceilings and wrought-iron bedsteads. Breakfast only but plenty of nearby wine bars and restaurants. The village also has a thermal spa.
Wine hotels in Tuscany for design lovers
- Poggio Piglia, near Chiusi, looks like a typical Tuscan farmhouse from the outside but step inside to unexpected sophistication: smooth wooden floors, huge windows, funky lights and modern art installations. Home-produced olive oil and wines, too.
- Siena House, near Torrita di Siena, also subverts the usual Tuscan clichés with four, minimalist-furnished rooms where vintage mixes with contemporary, plus there’s a cool kitchen for you to rustle up your own suppers. A great place for families or groups of friends.
- In the heart of Pienza, the chic townhouse La Bandita Townhouse has sharp bedrooms with exposed stonework, glossy-white furnishings, bold splashes of colour and stand-alone bathtubs. There’s a chic bar and very modern Tuscan menus, too.
Romantic Tuscan wine hotels
- Locanda dell’Amorosa is not just a hotel but an entire Renaissance hamlet. It’s a seductive idea, and it works. Rooms are spacious and filled with a mix of antiques and rustic furnishings, all with charming views either over vineyards or courtyards. It’s comfortable, private and discreet.
- Equally discreet, Monteverdi offers both vast boutique-style rooms and suites, and separate villas, all dotted around the hilltop village of Castiglioncello del Trinoro. Expect romantic, gauzy-white bedrooms with stand-alone bath-tubs and canopied four-poster beds.
- And if you want to splash out, Castello Banfi il Borgo is a 13th century castle surrounded by 7000 acres of its own vineyards. Bedrooms are lushly romantic with huge beds, thick drapes and acres of space. There’s a spa, impressive cellar and handsome, gourmet restaurant.
It’s a cliché but there really is something for everything in our range of Tuscan wine hotels, whether you want good food, great views, romance, relaxation or just a simple base from which to explore the area. This list only dips its toes in what we have. To see our full range, check out all our recommended hotels in Tuscany.
Castello Banfi il Borgo 9 rooms from $425Tuscany
A hotel with serious joie de vivre. A stunning 13th century castle and wine estate with romantic boutique interiors, gourmet Tuscan cuisine, an Enoteca, and spa. Luxurious rooms and suites have arched ceilings, four poster beds, and stunning views. Gourmet, romantic, all the best things in life.Foodies - Fantastic traditional Tuscan dishes and an Enoteca stocking wine from its 7000 acre wine estate.Romantic - Utterly romantic in location, decoration, and ambience.Views - Panoramic views of the hotel's vineyards around.Good wine list - The castle has it's own vineyard.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
Monteverdi 7 rooms from $616Castiglioncello del Trinoro, Tuscany
Typically Tuscan; rural romance and gastronomic indulgence in a fantastically luxurious room, suite or villa. Huge stand alone bath tubs, log fires, neutral hues, vine covered terraces, and a sparkling infinity pool. Great for couples, families, groups of friends.Romantic BreakCooking classes - Learn how to make Tuscan treatsGreat walks - Good for walkers.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Locanda dell’Amorosa 27 rooms from $292Sinalunga (Siena), Tuscany
Former Renaissance hamlet, turned luxury boutique hotel. A Romantic spot with beautiful bedrooms, locally-sourced gourmet cuisine, and charming wine bar. Relax by the pool or explore the surrounding in the Tuscan Hills and historical towns.Great walks - You'll never bore of exploring the vineyards, olive groves and rolling hills of the Tuscan countryside.Sights nearby - Check out nearby Montepulciano. the highest Tuscan town, a medieval settlement witha rich history.Local markets - Food lovers should not miss out on the Museo del Tartufo. (Truffle Museum)Swimming Pool - Large pool with Tuscan viewsRecommended by - Fodors
La Bandita Townhouse 10 rooms from $204Pienza, Tuscany
Sophisticated townhouse oozing contemporary chic with a fantastic restaurant. Minimalist bedrooms and suites have exposed brickwork, white washed walls, delicate four poster beds and stand alone bath tubs. Divine modern Italian food with daily changing menu. Very grown up & totally laid back.HoneymoonsFoodiesCity StyleSights nearby - Situated right in the heart of Unesco-listed Pienza.Recommended by - CN Traveller, Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Siena House 4 rooms from $213Tuscany
A refreshingly contemporary hotel in Tuscany. Just four rooms feature artwork, views, large bathrooms and chic furnishings. Shared kitchen space, cinematic projection room, pool and gardens. Very laid back atmosphere. A great choice for relaxing holiday for a group of friends or family.Groups - 4 rooms, modern and funky interiors, and shared open plan kitchen space, gardens and pool make this ideal for a group holidayHideaway - Pool, kitchen, and projection room, chic bedrooms to while away the afternoons, and endless regional sites nearbySights nearby - Lucignano, Cortona, Arezzo, Siena, Monteriggiono, MontepulcianoSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet
Poggio Piglia 9 rooms from $157Chiusi Siena, Tuscany
An attractive stone Tuscan farmhouse renovation that produces its own olive oil and wine. Contemporary designer bedrooms combine parquet floors, white washed walls and modern art installations. Fantastic views, excellent food, very sophisticated.Romantic BreakFour poster beds - For romantics.Views - Great views from hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
La locanda del Loggiato 6 rooms from $87Bagno Vignoni, Tuscany
A romantic hotel within a medieval village. Unique rooms feature wooden beams, views over the square and terracotta floors. A thermal spa in the village, walking tours, and wine tasting in the surrounds. An enchanting weekend for couples in typical Tuscan style.Romantic Break - Visit local villages: Montalcino, Abbadia San Salvatore, visit the thermal baths of Bagno Vignoni and nearby Bagni san FilippoFoodies - Brunello wine region. In the Autumn, Montalcino food festival in medieval fortress, with vats of polenta and cooking on spitsViews - Over the water-filled square of Bagno VignoniSights nearby - Siena, Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano
Il Rigo 13 rooms from $104San Quirico d'Orcia, Tuscany
A lovely country house in the Tuscan hills. Rooms are minimalist with rustic touches of embroidery and antiques. Complete with working farm, cyprus trees and vine covered terraces. Outstanding Tuscan cuisine, bicycles available, secluded setting. A great choice for couples or families.Local exploring - Thermal baths in Bagno Vignoni (4km); walkable sights of Vileta Chapel and Pienza; San Quirico with 16th century gardensFoodies - Home grown organic produce from the farm, annual olive oil festival, nearby is home of Brunello di Montalcino wineCooking classes - Within hotel kitchen, 1 or 4 day coursesSights nearby - Val d'Orcia's small hilltop villagesRecommended by - Sawdays
Il Chiostro di Pienza 37 rooms from $89Pienza, Tuscany
Former monastery in the heart of Pienza offers elegance and style, with delightful bedrooms in natural tones with tiled floors and arched ceilings. The cloister terrace restaurant serves delicious food and there are beautiful gardens and a pool that overlook the undulating valley. A romantic spot.Romantic Break - Candlelight meals on the rooftop, lazy days by the pool and magnificant suites, some featuring original ceiling frescoes.Local exploring - Right in the centre of this ancient and orginal example of Rennaissance townplanning, explore and soak up the history.Sights nearby - In the historic central square of Pienza, only 100m from the famed Pienza CathedralGreat walks - The Tuscan hillsides and vineyards make for some spectacular walking.
Il Falconiere 22 rooms from $463Cortona, Tuscany
Romantic setting for food lovers. Dine at a Micehlin-starred restaurant in a stunning 17th Century Tuscan manor. Beautiful, spacious rooms are a perfect blend of homely meets luxury. Relax by the pool or at the spa. Dining is top class plus you can take part in cooking classes and wine tasting.Sights nearby - Take a picnic to Lake Trasimeno and spend a summers day in the water.Cooking classes - On site cookery school, led by Chef and owner Silvia Baracchi.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolFull of characterRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Relais & Chateaux
Tenuta San Pietro 10 rooms from $177Lucca
A small gourmet hotel with rustic rooms, sweeping valley views, an olive farm and surrounding vineyard. Bedrooms with stone walls, wooden beams, and private terraces. Fabulous food, cookery lessons, and art classes. An excellent choice for an active gourmet holiday.Exclusive offer - Easter at San PietroFoodiesSights nearby - Not far from Lucca. The hotel provides a free shuttle service to and from the townCooking classes - One day classes or cooking holidays availableViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape, Johansens, Tablet
Locanda di San Francesco 4 rooms from $209Montepulciano Siena, Tuscany
A small hotel and restaurant in a charming hilltown. Four rustic chic bedrooms with fabulous views, excellent gourmet restaurant, and lots to do in the surrounding area from wine tasting to local music festivals.FoodiesSights nearby - Located in the centre of historic MontepulcianoViews - Wonderful views across the Val d'OrciaGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - I Escape
Il Patriarca 22 rooms from $124Chiusi Siena, Tuscany
An outstanding hotel surrounded by vineyards. Romantic bedrooms have soft fabrics, four poster beds, and floor to ceiling windows. Michelin starred restaurant, a large wine cellar and bistro, pool and beautiful views over the vines. Dreamy, very relaxing, and romantic.Views - Stunning views over the vineyards.Foodies - Michelin star Tuscan cuisine.Local markets - Good for local colour.Romantic - Good for couples.