- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Best hotels near the Arsenale
The Arsenale area of Venice - together with the Giardini Pubblici, and both in the eastern Castello - comes into its own during the Venice Biennale, the city’s international contemporary art and architecture show held in odd-numbered years. Other attractions in this area of the Castello include a maritime museum, San Pietro di Castello - the city’s cathedral when it was a Republic - and the beautiful 16th-century Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni. But If you want a ringside seat during the Biennale, choose one of the best hotels near the Arsenale.
In the 15th and 16th centuries, this area was the heart of the city’s maritime and military strength, home to the largest medieval shipyards in Europe and the base for around 300 shipping companies. By the end of the 18th century, however, when Napoleon took over the city, the wharves were largely destroyed, although it was rebuilt and used until WW1 by the Italian navy. The magnificent gateway, with its four Renaissance lions, remains.
Best hotels near the Arsenale
For great value
- Mid-way between San Marco and the Arsenale, the B&B San Marco is a simple, well-priced B&B with traditionally furnished, parquet-floor rooms all with canal views. Ask for the one with the balcony.
- An equally well-priced B&B, La Residenza has beautiful panelled public rooms with plasterwork ceilings while the nine bedrooms are elegant with white walls and baroque-style furnishings. Good for families.
For a quiet spot
- Another B&B midway between the Arsenale area and San Marco, Palazzo Soderini has a historic exterior and minimalist, designer interiors; airy, large and light. Overlooking a quiet square, it makes a peaceful retreat from the crowds.
- Closer to San Marco, The Metropole is a good choice if you want a lagoon view and don’t mind a short walk to the action of the Biennale. This privately run hotel is littered with the family’s antiques collection, with rooms ranging from lavish to more traditional. A Michelin-starred restaurant, too.
The Venice Biennale is, naturally, tremendously popular so you need to book early to grab a room in one of the best Venice hotels near the Arsenale. Nothing here? Then widen the net and check out all our Venice recommendations, or contact a friendly guru for advice.
B&B San Marco 3 rooms from $73Venice
An adorable, typically Venetian B&B. Rooms exude understated charm and homeliness. Excellent views from the bedrooms and lovely breakfasts. A great value spot for central Venice.Value chicCity StyleViews - All the bedrooms have canal views.Sights nearby - 5 mins walk from St Mark's SquareRecommended by - CN Traveller
La Residenza 9 rooms from $84Venice (Castello, 3608)
An elegant historic residence close to San Marco Square. Gothic-Byzantine architecture remains the hallmark of its restored interiors - period furnishings and 18th century paintings throughout the rooms. A great value choice for families, friends or couples.Sights nearby - Plus the hotel organises free excursions to Murano with a visit to the glassworksRomantic - Good for couples.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Palazzo Soderini 4 rooms from $264Venice
A charming and romantic B&B with a beautiful garden and breakfast terrace. Design conscious rooms have white washed walls, clever lighting and sleek furniture. Great value and very pretty.Garden - Internal courtyard and gardenValue chicSights nearby - A stone's throw from St Mark's SquareLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Metropole 67 rooms from $188Venice
The Beggiato family open their doors and antique collection to give guests Lagoon views, a luxurious stay and Michelin star dining. Rooms are unique with an eclectic mix of curios and collectables. Enjoy the rare Venetian garden, the memorable dining experience and the Oriental Bar. Romantic stay.Sights nearby - Steps away from the famous Piazza San Marco.Views - Choose a room with a lagoon view.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Fodors