- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Book Now
Top Ten Best Places to Stay in Morocco - Outside Marrakech
Our list of the best hotels outside Marrakech includes everything from traditional guesthouses to remote desert camps to palaces, both modern and ancient. And these best hotels outside Marrakech make perfect bases for discovering a less touristy Morocco, and for experiencing some of Morocco's traditional hospitality.
Marrakech is definitely a headline destination, but beyond the wonders of this amazing 'Red City' - where you can now stay in ultimate, modern, five star luxury within the walls of the thousand year old medina - is the rest of magical Morocco.
There's the epic sweep of the desert, the incredibly photogenic Atlas mountains promising adventures, the wonderfully traditional desert oases and Berber villages, the spectacular coastlines, bewildering marketplaces in ancient trading towns, and plenty of historic and cultural highlights to discover for yourself.
If you know where you'll be making your base consult our Moroccan Destination Guides:
- The Best Places to Stay in Fez
- The Best Places to Stay in Essaouira
- The Best Places to Stay in the High Atlas Mountains
- The Best Places to Stay in Ouarzazate
- The Best Places to Stay in Taroudant
But if you're looking for inspiration for the best hotels outside of Marrakech and you're interested in the kind of Moroccan experiences you might find, rather than the destinations themselves, then read on for our list of: The Top Ten Best Places to Stay in Morocco - Outside Marrakech!
Escape to a Desert Oasis
- Dar Ahlam is a traditional Ouarzazate Kasbah, transformed into a luxury retreat. Sumptuous suites and private villas provide the comfortable sleeping arrangements, while the hammam and giant pool will help bring you back to life after time in the desert. Wow. In a Wow setting.
- The Kasbah Agafay, just outside Marrakech, is an 18th Century mud fort transformed into an almost fantasy destination with outdoor spa, cooking school and romantic sleeping tents.
Once in a Lifetime Moroccan Journey
- La Gazelle d'Or is a luxurious hunting lodge turned luxurious, antique-filled hotel on the outskirts of Taroudant. Surrounded by exotic gardens and beyond that views of the Atlas Mountains, La Gazelle d'Or is a wonderful escape, while still being close to the ancient walled city. In addition to the views and the peace, there's also a spa and hammam to help you feel relaxed and pampered. Elegant and traditional the 30 suites and pavilions are spread throughout the grounds.
- Dar L'Oussia is situated within the old ramparts of Essaouira. As well as the historic location these 23 rooms, and fours suites, ooze heritage, from the four poster beds to the art, to the wonderful inside courtyards and romantic balconies overlooking them.
Gems of Traditional Moroccan Hospitality
- Traditional and comfortable, the Kasbah Bab Ourika is eco-friendly, with a Berber feel. Traditional 'rammed earth' walls surround rose-filled courtyards and there's a gorgeous terrace and pool. Plus there's plenty to do in the staggeringly beautiful surrounding countryside. And all this is only 45minutes from Marrakech.
- Gorgeous Berber castle, Kasbah Angour is the Moroccan equivalent of a country house hotel, with 25 rooms, two suites and a decent restaurant. The views over the High Atlas foothills are spectacular, there's a beautiful garden and a huge swimming pool.
Explore the Magical Atlas Mountains
- Dar Adrar is a simple guesthouse within the Toubkal National Park, but still only an hours drive from Marrakech. In a lovely little Berber village with breathtaking views of the mountains, this is the kind of place where the hot water may not always come on demand, but the grand breakfasts and excellent tagines will make up for it.
- The Domaine de la Roseraie is a rural paradise in the foothills of the High Atlas. It's surrounded by wonderful trekking country, but it's also a great place to unwind. The altitude, 1000 meters above sea level, means it's cool in summer, and tucked away in a valley, it's also mild in winter.
Moroccan Beach Break
- If you love the idea of staying in a riad, try Villa de l'O, an 18th Century boutique version, just minutes from the beach, souks and golf courses of Essaouira. As well as being a romantic blend of traditional and colonial decor, this villa has wonderful sea views from the rooftop terrace, which also overlooks the old town's battlements.
- Dar Liouba used to be an Imam's residence in Essaouira, and its seven comfortable, sunny, whitewashed rooms can all be booked together.
Dar Ahlam 14 rooms from $512Ouarzazate
Traditional kasbah in Skoura's Palmeraie, four hours from Marrakech, transformed into a luxury and spoiling retreat. 14 sumptuous suites & villas, plus hammam, large pool & plenty of activities including quad safaris or hiking. Tailor made excursions including private dining under the desert stars.Swimming Pool - Heated Outdoor PoolSpa - With hammamRomantic - Good for couples.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Kasbah Agafay 20 rooms from $313Marrakech (Tamesluht)
An 18th-century mud fort, transformed into an Arabian Nights fantasy. The beautiful canopied suites feature antique furnishings, bold fabrics and warm tones. Kasbah Agafay stands alone on their unrivaled views, service and attention to detail. An opulent oasis.Total relaxation - Unwind and relax in the beautiful tented suites, hammam, spa, poolside or wandering arounf the expansive gardens.Foodies - The on site restaurant serves mouthwatering locally sourced cusine and provides cooking classes for guests.Views - Stunning views of the Atlas mountains.Great walks - Wander the property grounds, or explore the desert and fields leading to the High Atlas.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
La Gazelle d'Or 30 rooms from $459Taroudant
Luxurious hunting lodge turned hotel on the outskirts of Taroudant. Set amid extensive exotic gardens with superb views of the Atlas Mountains. Swimming pool and spa with traditional hammam. Beautifully kitted out suites and pavilions. Come here for pampering and serenitySights nearby - The ancient walled city of TaroudantSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Kids Club - Fully staffed.
Dar L'Oussia 23 rooms from $89Essaouira
A beautiful boutique riad in the old ramparts. It oozes heritage and traditional romance. Sunny rooms and suites all in creams with four poster beds, artworks, and balconies onto the inner courtyards. Fantastic roof top terrace and great Moroccan restaurant. A great value spot for couples.Roof terrace - With panoramic viewsRomantic BreakSights nearby - Situated in the ramparts of the medina, close to the souks and ancient fishing portViews - Great views from hotel
Kasbah Bab Ourika 10 rooms from $157Ourika, High Atlas
A stunning escape in the foothills of the Atlas mountains less than an hour from Marrakech. With staggering mountain views - this is the perfect place for enthusiastic trekkers as well as those who want to relax.Exclusive offer - Eco friendly breakLuxuryGreat walks - In the national park and the Atlas MountainsViews - Spectacular views to the Atlas MountainsSwimming Pool - Outdoor Pool
Kasbah Angour 25 rooms from $120High Atlas
Gorgeous Berber castle in foothills of the Atlas Mountains. Superb panoramic views, suites with traditional Moroccan materials and locally made furniture. Beautiful gardens, a large swimming pool and wonderful local excursions. A relaxing spot to recoup in after a day of activity.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Views - Great views from hotelGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Dar Adrar 8 rooms from $29Aroumd, High Atlas
A simple and charmingly rustic guesthouse perched in the High Atlas mountains above Imlil.Great walks - Ideal base if you're climbing Mt Toubkal. Owner can arrange guided walks of the area.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Remote - Off the beaten track.Views - Great views from hotel
Domaine de la Roseraie 42 rooms from $93Ouirgane, High Atlas
Traditional hotel in the foothills of the Atlas mountains. Large, unpretentious bedrooms with traditional Moroccan features set scattered through exotic gardens. Lovely swimming pool and seasonal cooking. A spa and hammam to completely unwind in. Ideal for nature lovers.Romantic Break - The hotel offers couples massages and Hammam sessions plus romantic dinner for two on your first night.Active Holiday - Ideally situated to explore the Atlas Mountains either on foot or on horseback.Great walks - Take a walk around the 60 acres of rose filled parkland the hotel sits in.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Villa de l'O 12 rooms from $135Essaouira
A fabulous 18th century boutique riad in a perfect location - minutes from the beach and the golf course. Sand stone columns, sculpted woods, and beautiful fabrics blend oriental tradition and western luxury. A lovely roof terrace has stunning coastal views. A luxurious treat.Romantic Break - A lovers retreat- elegant suites ooze grown up style, while the roof terrace offers the best views of anywhere in town.Active Holiday - Essaouira is a hot spot for outdoor activities particularly windsurfing and kitesurfing.Sights nearby - Make sure to explore the sights of the city, especially to the art galleries, museums and fishing harbour.Local markets - Explore Essaouira's souks, packed with beautiful handicrafts and local produce.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet
Dar Liouba 7 rooms from $63Essaouira
A lovely creamy clad guesthouse, formerly an Imam's residence. Sunny rooms have white washed walls, comfortable beds, and splashes of colour. Cosy living areas have fireplaces and there's a fabulous roof top terrace. Excellent value, available for exclusive use.Restrictions on children - Over 2s welcome.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.Surfing - Suitable beaches nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
Want more Moroccan Travel Inspiration? Here's how:
- Browse though our list of all the best places to stay in Morocco,
- peruse our Guru's Best Marrakech Riad Guide,
- if you want to relax try our list of Best Hammams and Spas,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.