- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Wine hotels in Nelson
Separated from Marlborough by a mountain range, the tiny region of Nelson sits at the northern tip of South Island and is fringed by Tasman Bay. Indeed, the historic town of Nelson sits on the edge of the bay. Further mountain ranges on the other sides make it a distinct, self-contained area with its own particular micro-climate. This means it’s well-suited to growing aromatic grapes such as Riesling, Pinot Gris and Gewurztraminer. Our pick of the best wine hotels in Nelson range from luxury guesthouses to a great value option in the centre of town. Indeed most of Nelson's wine hotels also enjoy lovely views over Tasman Bay.
Wine hotels in Nelson for waterfront location
- In a pitch-perfect position on Nelson’s waterfront, Wakefield Quay House has a huge veranda, the ideal spot for sundowners. The 1905 villa has two large and light-filled rooms, each with window seats in which to curl up and gaze over the watery views. Antiques, original art and modern bathrooms make this a very elegant choice.
- If you want to push the boat out (no pun intended), the luxury villas at Bronte Country Estate sit surrounded by water on the Bronte Peninsula. Smoothly and elegantly decorated in soothing coffees and creams, each sits amongst lush gardens. There’s also a pool, massage room and bikes to borrow.
For great value
- More traditional and homely, the Cathedral Inn is a handsome 19th-century mansion with airy, comfortable rooms, a veranda and a large garden with plenty of quiet corners to doze over a book. Great value, it’s also walking distance to some of Nelson’s best restaurants.
- If you want to brush up your cooking skills, as well as your wine palate, try A Culinary Experience, a boutique B&B just outside the city. Gourmet breakfasts, cooking classes and wine-tasting from the host’s private cellar - as well as arranged wine tours - are some of the attractions while its two luxury suites have balconies overlooking Tasman Bay.
The region may be small, but the wine hotels in Nelson offer plenty of variety. But if there's nothing here that ticks all your boxes, you can expand your search and take a look at our pick of wine hotels in Marlborough or our Ultimate guide to the best wine hotels in New Zealand.
Bronte Country Estate 5 rooms from $432Nelson
Luxury suites and villas set on Nelson's Bronte Peninsula with views across Waimea Estuary. Chic, modern and elegant rooms with private terraces and verandas. With a swimming pool, massage facilities and free use of bikes. Lovely rose gardens. Family owned for generations.Birdwatching - On Waimea EstuaryLocal markets - Good for local colour.Back to NatureGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Wakefield Quay House 2 rooms from $208Nelson
Luxury B&B in 1905 historic villa on Nelson's waterfront with glorious views over Tasman Bay. Two tasteful, elegant and spacious ensuite rooms with antiques and original artworks. Close to Abel Tasman National Park, wineries and within walking distance of restaurants. Great for a weekend break.Views - Overlooking Tasman Bay and Nelson's Harbour entranceGreat walks - Abel Tasman Coastal TrackSailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Cathedral Inn 7 rooms from $118Nelson
19th century mansion turned B&B in the centre of Nelson. Rooms are individually decorated in traditional style. Large tree-filled garden with outdoor seating areas. Within walking distance of cathedral, restaurants and galleries. Close to Abel Tasman National Park for great walks and birdwatching.Sights nearby - Right beside Christ Church Cathedral.Restrictions on children - Must be 12 or overLocal markets - Good for local colour.Birdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.
A Culinary Experience 2 rooms from $208Nelson (Atawhai)
Boutique B&B outside Nelson with two large, light and luxurious suites adorned with original art. Hot tub, private wine cellar, private verandas and large garden to relax in. Gourmet breakfast, cooking classes and wine tours available. Close to beaches and great walks in Abel Tasman National Park.Views - The patios and decks have stunning viewsLocal markets - Nelson holds a market every SaturdaySailing - Can be booked nearby.Cooking classes - Check for timings.