- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Rome Hotels Fit For Cardinals - Best Hotels near the Vatican
You can easily catch a glimpse of life within the smallest state in the world from the best hotels near the Vatican. Every so often we are treated to the view of the black smoke / white smoke drama, in which case all the cardinals who are eligible to vote stay in some rather spartan, cramped conditions in a hostelry in the Vatican City.
However, at other times, cardinals have regular business to conduct in the Eternal City, and at such times they are apt to opt for more comfortable surroundings.
So here, dear cardinals, monsignore and humble priests, is a selection of places you will appreciate, next time you come to town our hand picked selection of the best hotels near the Vatican.
Best Hotels near the Vatican
For those on a Budget
For those who are working to a budget, you won't be disappointed by any of the best hotels near the Vatican, there's plenty of choice.
- The Due Torri, full of traditional Italian charm, tucked away in a narrow cobbled side street just a few steps away from the Vatican.
- The Stylish Casa Howard, complete with Turkish Hammam, is a fifteen minute taxi ride from St Peter's and easy walking distance to the Spanish Steps.
- Couples who want to experience the Italian flavour and buzz of the city opt for the trendy 1920's Locarno, which is where artists like to hang out and has the air of a film set about it.
- For just a little more, the 1930's style Villa Laetitia, with it's luscious gardens along the banks of the river Tiber is perfect. A tranquil spot within easy access of the sights.
Rome from the rooftops
The evening is certainly the most romantic time of the day with that glorious peachy light. Where better to set the scene than from the rooftops of some of the best hotels near the Vatican. Slip up to the bar for a cool and refreshing aperitif before dinner.
- The Hotel Campo de 'Fiori has a fantastic roof terrace overlooking the city skyline. You'll find romantic bedrooms with four poster beds and frescoed ceilings, all within 12 minutes cab ride from the Vatican.
- Families will be well catered for in the elegant Albergo del Senato with a wonderful roof terrace bar, a traditional and relaxing atmosphere.
- The Eden, a stone's throw from St Peter's, is in the 5 star luxury range, with a delightful roof top restaurant and the most spectacular views. The interior is tastefully done in subdued colours and lavish marble, complete with fitness suite and private massage; you'll want for nothing.
Best Hotels with luxury in mind
The Italians do luxury so well. The gorgeous design, whether it nods it's head to the Baroque era or the 21st century, spills into every corner. The private gardens and terraces provide escape form the heat of the day in the best hotels near the Vatican. You'll find it impossible to tear yourself away.
- The Hotel de Russie, a top contemporary hotel with light airy rooms, gorgeous terraced gardens and a fabulous Spa and pool. Only 10 minutes walk from St Peter's.
- In a quiet cobbled street in the heart of Rome, within walking distance of the main attractions, sits the 17th century Relais Orso with cool decor, a pretty roof terrace and Restaurant.
- The San Anselmo, located in the smart hilltop Aventine district is 20 minutes away from the Vatican. A romantic and chic hotel with Baroque glamour and loads of personaity, with a gorgeous garden where you can relax and sip a cocktail whilst watching the sunset.
- Last, but by no means least are the wonderfully oppulent apartment suites, La Residenza Napoleone, each with kitchenette and private terrace. With taffetta silk, Baroque furniture and antique lighting. It feels as if you are stepping into history but with all the modern comforts.
Haven't found your perfect hotel for a Roman Holiday in our Guru's list of the best hotels near the Vatican?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Rome,
- refine your search to the best hotels in the heart of Old Rome,
- or our Guru's list of great hotels near the Colosseum,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Due Torri 26 rooms from $125Rome
A charming historical hotel just a few steps from Piazza Navona and the Vatican. Surprisingly quiet for its central location, the elegant rooms offer comfortable beds and antique furniture. A true gem with plenty of traditional charm.Local exploring - Location is perfect for those wishing to emerce themsevles in Rome and explore like a local.Historic - Previously the building housed Cardinals, Bishops, and famous noble Roman famillies.Families - Four small apartments are ideal for accommodating families.Great walks - Right in the historic heart of Rome, wander the streets and get a feel for the Eternal City.
Casa Howard 5 rooms from $103Rome
A stylish homely guesthouse in the heart of Rome. Rooms are filled with beautiful objects, art works and antiques. This is an intimate and romantic guesthouse ideal for families and groups. Enjoy the Turkish Hammam, proximity to landmarks such as the Spanish Steps and breakfast in bed.Exclusive offer - Save 20%Local exploring - Right in the centre of the city, a perfect launch pad for exploring this vibrant ancient capital.Families - Ideal for all the family to base themselves. Offers board games and a DVD library.Cooking classes - The Concierge Service team are at your beck and call to organise such activities.Sights nearby - A stone's throw from the iconic Trevi and Spanish Steps.Recommended by - I Escape
Locarno 83 rooms from $240Rome
A 1920s Art Nouveau styled hotel oozing character and offering prime positioning. Spacious, beautifully designed rooms with mod-cons and excellent business facilities. The lively bar attracts a local and fun crowd. Perfect for a romantic weekend.Romantic Break - Chic decor, central location and romantic rooftop bar make this an ideal getaway for two!Local exploring - Use the free hotel bikes to explore the historic city centre like a local.Great walks - Just five minutes away you'll find Villa Borghese, the third largest public park in Rome.Sights nearby - Check out the iconic Piazza del Popolo, located just a few minutes from the hotel.
Villa Laetitia 15 rooms from $151Rome
Fashionable boutique hotel designed by the Fendi family. Set in luscious gardens alongside the river Tiber. Attention to detail throughout the rooms and living areas is spectacular - marble pillars, antique fabrics, black and white chequered flooring, 1930s art deco furniture. Tranquil and trendy.City StyleSights nearby - 15 mins walk to the Piazza del Popolo and easy access to the VaticanDesigner - Renovated by one of the Fendi sistersLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Hotel Campo de 'Fiori 23 rooms from $163Rome
A gorgeous boutique hotel with views over Rome's skyline from a fantastic roof terrace. Romantic bedrooms have canopied fourposter beds, frescoed ceilings, antique furniture and regally painted walls. A great choice for a romantic getaway to Rome.Sights nearby - Walking distance to most of Rome's major attractionsCity StyleLocal markets - Enjoy the morning market at the Piazza Campo de FioriRomantic - Good for couples.
Albergo del senato 56 rooms from $183Rome
Elegant rooms and suites, wonderful roof terrace bar, and walking distance to the Pantheon. Roman classicism and a traditional atmosphere throughout, from the dining room, to bedrooms, to terraces and dining room. A relaxing choice for a family, group or couple.GroupsFamiliesSights nearby - A stones throw from the PantheonLocal markets - The Campo de Fiori is close by
Eden 121 rooms from $386Rome
A five-star luxury hotel in one of Rome's most exclusive areas. Traditionally furnished rooms exude opulence and old world style with bold fabrics, antiqued furnishings and spectacular views of the city. Unwind in the Piano bar or soak up the skyline in the fine dining rooftop restaurant. Spoiling.Romantic Break - The opulent and enourmous suites are ideal for a couples hideaway, not to mention the romantic rooftop resturant.Local exploring - Perfectly located for exploing the sights of Rome, close enough to travel by foot or bicycle.Great walks - Visit nearby Borghese Gardens for lovely walking gardens, museums and historic buildings.Sights nearby - Close to the Spanish Steps, one of Rome's most famous sights.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Hotel de Russie 122 rooms from $429Rome
Beautiful contemporary Roman hotel overlooking the Piazza del Popolo. Plush rooms are light and airy, many of them feature courtyard garden views. Luxury with style, great food and a spa and pool. A grown up city escape.Garden - Stunning terraced gardens where you can dine during the summer months.Restaurant - Recommended.Spa - Featuring hydropool and Turkish steam bath.Sights nearby - 10 minutes walk from The Spanish Steps.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
San Anselmo 34 rooms from $376Rome
Peaceful, romantic refuge in the smart hilltop Aventine district. Baroque flamboyance meets contemporary details to create a hotel with huge personality. Overlooking the Sant’Anselmo Church and within range of all main attractions, while staying off the beaten track.Romantic - Good for couples.Great walks - Take a stroll in The Circus Maximus, an ancient Roman chariot racing stadium and mass entertainment venue.Sights nearby - The property overlooks Sant’Anselmo ChurchLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet
Relais Orso 15 rooms from 249Rome
Just steps away from Piazza Navona and the Pantheon this sleek hotel, a 17th century town house in quiet cobbled street, is beautifully placed in the heart of Rome within walking distance of all the main sights. Cool contemporary suites, restaurant and pretty roof garden with city views.Restaurant - The restaurant Vicolo 88 offers traditional Medietrranean dishes and wine from the cellars of the houseSuites - Central glass walled showers built into the living rooms, suites with private jacuzzi and terraceRoof terrace - Sip cocktails on the roof deck with fabulous panoramic views of the citySights nearby - A stone's throw from Piazza Navona in the heart of Rome's historical centreRecommended by - Tablet
La Residenza Napoleone 2 rooms from $762Rome
Incredibly opulent apartment suites drenched in old world Italian romance. Huge oil paintings, taffeta silks, lavish beds, Baroque furniture, antique lighting and romantic pastels covering the walls. Each suite has a kitchenette, private terrace, in-house cook and access to a concierge service.OpulentRomantic BreakRomantic - Good for couples.LuxuryRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, I Escape