- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Book Now
The Best Costa Brava Hotels for Foodies
There is far more to the Costa Brava than Sangria and fish and chips! Catalan cooking is distinct, earthy, flavoursome - and can be very inventive. After all, this is the home of the extraordinary - and experimental - chefs Ferran Adrià and the Roca brothers, whose restaurants have been acclaimed as the ‘World’s Best’. We have had the difficult task of sampling our way around the region to come up with some of the best Costa Brava hotels for foodies.
Seafood, beef, ham and cheese - particularly goats cheeses - are staples of the cooking. Rice, wild mushrooms, pork - in all its forms - are also widely found. Be sure to at least once try crema Catalana; the Catalan version of crème brulée.
Don’t expect to dine early. Lunch invariably goes on until late afternoon, and restaurants often don’t open again until 8.30pm. Locals saunter in at 9.30pm or 10.00pm…
Best value Costa Brava hotels for foodies
- The converted farmhouse, Galena Mas Comangau Hotel, just outside the ramparts of hill-top Begur, offers a contemporary take on Catalan and Mediterranean dishes in an atmospheric, exposed-stone and raftered dining room. It is cosy and intimate with just 10 bedrooms which set simple modern furnishings against the original fabric of the farmhouse. Terrific views from the rooftop terrace, too.
- There are only five rooms at Hostal Sa Rascassa, so get in there quick: its restaurant has a loyal following. Tucked in a quiet cove, the restaurant is practically on the pebbly beach. Rooms are simple rustic-chic in creams and taupes, with tiled floors and a long, shared terrace.
- Eco-friendly Hostal Empuries, in the more rugged northern stretch of coastline, offers two highly rated restaurants. A mix of contemporary and traditional, many of the 53 rooms look directly across the bay.
- Hotel Terramar may be a simple beachside hotel overlooking horseshoe-shaped Llafranc Bay, with comfortable and modern, if modest rooms, but its fish restaurant has a deserved reputation. Lip-smackingly fresh, the food changes daily on the well-priced set menus.
Best moderately priced Costa Brava hotels for foodies
- In an enviable location, close to both beaches and to medieval Begur, Hotel del Teatre is a conversion of two Catalan farmhouses. Its sleek dining room - one part with huge picture windows overlooking the garden, another part under a canopy - offers gourmet food. Rooms are cream-on-white chic, and medieval Begur is a stroll away.
- Hotel Vistabella is aptly named: from its cliff-top position, it overlooks the Bay of Roses in the northern part of the Costa Brava. Make sure you book a room with a terrace; chances are you won’t move. Kick off dinner with a drink in the panoramic bar, then choose from one of the four on-site restaurants.
Best luxury Costa Brava hotels for foodies
- In the midst of the Empordà’s wine-growing region, you can expect excellent wines - and wine-tasting opportunities - at the Mas de Torrent. You can also expect top-notch Catalan dining in the hotel’s excellent, if formal, restaurant. Choose either a contemporary or classical style room - all are large and elegant - and don’t be surprised to see a few well-known celebrities.
- Expect five-star everything at the Hostal de la Gavina, which offers hospitality with wonderful, old-world charm (Ava Gardner and Salvador Dali are former guests). On a high, rocky promontory overlooking the beaches near S’Agaró, inside it’s all cool marbles, antiques and comfortable tradition. Meals are leisurely affairs - plenty of fresh seafood - beautifully served in the white-vaulted dining room.
We hope this guide to the best Costa Brava hotels for foodies has whetted your appetite. For a full list of our choice of the best hotels on the Costa Brava, click here.
Galena mas Comangau Hotel 10 rooms from $89Begur
A lovely farmhouse conversion with a fantastic Catalan restaurant just outside the historic walls of Begur. Contemporary rooms have traditional elements - wooden beams and exposed stone walls. Excellent views from the roof top terrace, close to the beaches and excellent value for money.Foodies - One of the best restaurants in the region.Value chicSights nearby - Five minutes walk from Begur city centreRomantic - Good for couples.
Hostal Sa Rascassa 5 rooms from $94Begur
This restaurant with rooms has been named best hotel in the world, twice - by virtue perhaps of the restaurant. The rooms are fresh and simple. The views from the restaurant and the food itself are tantalising. Great for foodies, or a romantic break by the sea.Restaurant with rooms - The restaurant is exceptional - Sa Rascassa has been named the best hote in the world twice!Restaurant - The restaurant is renowned.Secluded setting - In a beach alcove.Country EscapeRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Hostal Empuries 53 rooms from $116l'Escala, Costa Brava
One of Europe's most eco friendly resorts. Original Greco Roman ruins meet sleek modern design. Various rooms suit families, couples and groups. Two excellent restaurants, top notch spa, and plenty to do on the beach and around.Families - Family rooms.Eco breakBeach LifeSpa breaksRecommended by - I Escape
Hotel Terramar 53 rooms from $73Llafranc, Costa Brava
A simple hotel with contemporary rooms minutes from the beach with stunning sea views. Excellent fish restaurant, family friendly, and great value for money. An ideal choice for a beach holiday and walking distance from bars and restaurants.Views - Stunning sea views.FamiliesBeach LifeTotal relaxation
Hotel del Teatre 7 rooms from $146Begur
Two medieval Catalan farmhouses renovated with romance in mind. Gaze over the Mediterranean landscape, swim in the nearby beaches of the Costa Brava, or simply hibernate in the luxury of the hotel - in the gourmet Theatre restaurant, in the sleek interiors, or at the swimming pool.Outstanding location - Located in the 'Golden Triangle' - Mediterranean landscapes and scenery and sandy beaches of the Costa Brava.Restaurant - The Theatre Restaurant is a main attraction.Exclusive use - Available for exclusive use.Valley locationRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Hotel Vistabella 29 rooms from $167Province of Girona, Costa Brava
Magical luxury hotel overlooking the Bay of Roses - with crystal sea views it's a perfect romantic hideaway. Stylish rooms with a nautical vibe echo the Mediterranean, and most have terraces overlooking the sea. Four restaurants, panoramic bar, indoor pool & spa. Spoiling luxury by the sea!Local exploring - Explore the wider Costa Brava from its hidden beaches to the Dali Museum to ancient ruinsSights nearby - Serra de les Alberes is a stunning area to explore Romanesque churches.Sailing - Rent a boat and explore the seas sailing or relax on a Catamaran tour.Local markets - Local markets give a great sense of local life in the Costa Brava.
Mas de Torrent 39 rooms from $300Torrent, Costa Brava
Five Star luxury in a country house hotel that attracts A listers. A mixture of contemporary and classical rooms and suites, all with private balconies, some with private pools. Excellent restaurant, roof top terrace bar, spa, and lovely grounds. A sophisticated choice.Spa breaksFoodies5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Kids Club - Nursery and childrens entertainment programmes during the summer seasonRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Hostal de La Gavina 74 rooms from $334Girona, Costa Brava
Old world romance in a classical Five Star hotel. Spectacular sea views from sprawling terraces, elegant rooms and suites filled with antiques, excellent restaurant and spa. Timeless elegance and film star luxury on the beach front.Romantic BreakBeach Life5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet