- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
A Room with a Pool: 20 Best Hotel Pools in Europe
These days hotel guests are looking for something a bit more than big, blue, rectangular and full of water when it comes to the pool. And there are many hotels only too willing to oblige. Some have created wonderful oasis or jungles in the middle of cities, or offer you sweeping, uninterrupted views of the ocean, tempt with the infinity plunge into nothingness, or have a mini water park in their garden. It's hard to compare these different approaches to creating the best hotel pools in Europe, so this list isn't in order, but is instead grouped around themes.
And while we don't really believe you're going to choose your holiday destination based solely on a photo of a dreamy pool, it might provide inspiration to get booking! If you're feeling inspired don't hesitate to get in touch by phone or email, one of our 'pool gurus' for advice.
A Pool with a View
Why is it so relaxing to stare off into a peaceful distance while letting your feet paddle and your arms bronze? This is the true essence of being on holiday and those moments are precious. Our pick of the best hotels pools in Europe with a view offer this and more - for many on this list, the vista is simply stunning.
- All white boutique hotel dream, Katikies has two legendary infinity pools with views over Santorini's caldera, the beautiful whitewashed town of Oia and the bright blue Aegean.
- Find la dolce vita in the pool of the Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa, in Conca dei Marini on the Amalfi Coast. The pool and spa facilities overlook the stunning Amalfi Coast and have some of the finest views of the Mediterranean on the planet.
- The Hotel Metropole in Taormina, Sicily is a five star wonder with Michelin starred restaurant, private beach access and one of the best hotel pools in Europe with panoramic views over the sea and Mt. Etna beyond.
- Bill and Coo, Mykonos has another faultless view over Ammos Bay, one of the most picturesque on the island, and a pool lit from the bottom with a starry sky of lights.
- Getting away from perfect ocean views for a moment, check out The Yeatman, in the historic Vila Nova de Gaia district of Porto, which has a decanter shaped pool - it is a wine hotel - with views over the UNESCO World Heritage Listed Old Town and the Douro River.
- Santorini has several of the best hotel pools in Europe. It's second listing is for Grace Santorini, which is cut into the cliff's edge and has the largest infinity pool on Santorini, with expansive views over the caldera.
- Chromata is Santorini's third offering - another spectacular infinity pool with wonderful views of this spectacular island and its dramatic volcano-forged shape. It's hard to separate the loveliness of these pools, but Chromata has value added to the view by placing a plexiglass bridge across the pool, on which they can set a table for dinner for two. Definitely a once in a lifetime experience, dining on top of one of the best hotel pools in Europe.
- If the sea views are ceasing to dazzle you, try Hotel Crillon le Brave in Provence, which has accommodation in a cluster of atmospheric old buildings at the top of a village, and a pool terrace with views over Provence and magnificent Mont Ventoux.
- La Bandita in Pienza, Tuscany was a derelict farm and is not a beautiful villa, so its a far cry from some of the high end luxury hotels on this list - but La Bandita still has one of the best hotel pools in Europe, with a view into the remarkable green oblivion of the Tuscan hills.
- Hotelito Lupaia in Torrita di Siena also offers panoramic views of the Tuscan hills.
Once in a Lifetime Hotel Pools
This collection of the best hotel pools in Europe qualify because they're one of a kind hotel pool experiences. This is the kind of things honeymoons are made for!
- One of the Grand Hotel Tremezzo's pool actually floats atop remarkably beautiful Lake Como. Yes, you read that correctly, it's built into a pontoon which floats on the lake, not in the lake, on the lake. So its water is perfectly clean. And as if that's not enough to guarantee a place on the list of the best hotel pools in Europe, the Grand Hotel has a second pool, tucked away in a quiet part of the garden - it's like a secret pool!
- The Perivolas Traditional Houses is yet another entry from Santorini, but how can our gurus not include this wonderful infinity pool built into the hillside amongst the accommodation converted from 300 year old cave dwellings?
- Masseria Cervarolo, Puglia is arranged around its enormous pool, accommodation is in a collection of trulli, traditional conical peasant's huts which surround the great bright blue lagoon. Traditional peace and relaxation at its most gorgeous, unfussy best.
- You may not expect to see one of the best hotel pools in Europe on an olive farm, but that's what you get in Azienda Agricola Mandranova. This deep well of a swimming pool is surrounded by weathered stone and oil lamps and is a perfect place for a refreshing dive after a hot day in the Italian sun.
- At Masseria Torre Maizza, Puglia, when it comes to providing one of the best hotel pools in Europe, size matters. Bring the entire extended family to the pool and don't worry, there'll be plenty of room for all of you. It features the ever important Olympic-sized qualification, of course, and its surrounding area features a two-story sunbathing deck.
- Big, beautiful and convenient, The Belvedere on the Amalfi Coast has a lift which shuttles you through the earth of a hill to its spacious swimming oasis. The swimming area itself juts out of the natural hillside, and there's plenty of room for everyone to get some sun.
Best European City Break Pools
Not all the best hotel pools in Europe are on islands or by the sea. Some can be found downtown. 'Cause sometimes all you need after a busy day exploring a new city is a quick dip before you head out again.
- The Vine, Madeira, deserves to be included in several of these best hotel pools in Europe collections. The breathtaking pool in question is an infinity pool in a luxurious hotel, with a spectacular view of Funchal, but its the wonderful city style of this pool that really grabs you. Dark and inviting, this is a sophisticated place to relax.
- The fact that fashion shows are held on the bridge between Rey Juan Carlos, Barcelona's dual pools is a testament to its inclusion on the list of the best hotel pools in Europe. Gardens and giant palm trees completely envelope the area, and the pools themselves collectively measure up as the largest pool in Barcelona.
- The location and design of the Grand Hotel Central, Barcelona's infinity-pool-on-the-rooftop more than makes up for its moderate size. Polished wooden floors and an evening breeze will make you wonder if you're on a cruise, but Barcelona's classic cityscape will bring you happily back to reality.
- Guess where you'll find the pool on the eight floors of the Fresh Hotel, Athens? On the ninth floor, of course. There's really no reason to move from this rooftop plunge pool - except for the poolside bar with its spectacular view of Athens. It's got it all.
What could be more luxurious than arriving at your hotel and finding your suite has its very own pool. More than what most of us have at home. But we bet you deserve it.
- As well as having one of the best hotel pools in Europe outside, the renovated 14th Century Mallorcan castle which has become the Castell Son Claret also has an indoor pool with an indoor garden, for when it's too hot outside. And some of its suites have private gardens with pools. Probably the ultimate when it comes to pool-loving-luxury.
- The Verdura Golf & Spa Resort, Agrigento, Sicily is another resort able to offer guests a private pool experience. In addition to the MASSIVE infinity pool with pristine views out onto the 18 hole golf course.
Of course at the end of the day one man's meat is another man's poison, but we do think we've managed to select the twenty best hotel pools in Europe! Still not sure? Check out our recommendations in Greece, the Balearics and the Cote d'Azur.
Katikies 27 rooms from $1034Oia
A totally unique boutique honeymooner hotel draped over the cliffs of Oia. Cool and tranquil luxurious rooms with stunning views. Exceptionally lovely infinity pool and spa. Fresh mediterranean cuisine is served poolside as well as fine dining on the rooftop. The ideal place to completely unwind.Total relaxation - Enjoy A.Spa's restorative treatments, cocktails by the infinty pool, phenomenal rooftop dining and impeccable 24 hour service.Honeymoons - Sun, sea, tranquility and oh-so-romantic- five star service in these achingly chic cliff side cottages overlooking Caldera.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby village of Oia, the main square and sunset views are breathtaking.Swimming Pool - Gorgeous infinity pools - Top 50 Hotel pools.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa 20 rooms from $391Conca dei Marini
A monastery renovated with romance and elegance. Its celestial views from its perch on a cliff top are to die for. The hotel captures the essence of la dolce vita with its location, understated but immaculate style, and its incredible spa facilities. A romantic destination.Views - Great views from hotelLuxuryOutstanding locationTotal relaxation
Hotel Metropole 23 rooms from $367Taormina
Fantastic Five Star luxury, Michelin star restaurant, and contemporary Italian interior design. Seamless rooms and suites with stand alone bathtubs, private balconies, and ethereal linens. Wonderful pool and spa area. Romantic, gourmet, and close to the beach.Foodies - Michelin starred restaurant.Views - Outstanding panoramic views5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Romantic BreakRecommended by - Tablet, CN Traveller, Kiwi Collection
Bill and Coo 24 rooms from $271Mikonos, Mykonos
Wonderfully chic all white minimalism with spectacular views over the ocean. Spacious suites with all the mod cons and gorgeous balconies. Lovely pool lounge area and Mediterranean restaurant. Perfect for swish honeymooners.Seaviews - Wonderfu sea views over Megali Ammos BayHoneymoonsLuxuryBeach LifeRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Small Luxury Hotels
The Yeatman 82 rooms from $348Porto (Vila Nova de Gaia)
A hotel that defines its destination. Luxury in abundance - huge beautiful suites with views over the Douro, lavish marble bathrooms, fantastic spa, and infinity pool. Designer in style whilst keeping comfort and character in tact. A very special hotel.Spa breaks - The superb Vinothérapie Spa boasts a tepidarium, Roman bath, sauna and hammam plus a range of Caudalie Vinothérapie treatments.Romantic Break - Totally lavish suites with epic views of PortoSights nearby - Wander around Take Old Porto and be sure not to miss the cathedral or the Gothic São Francisco church.Sailing - Take a '6-bridges cruise' along the River Douro to the mouth of the Atlantic.Recommended by - I Escape, Johansens, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Grace Santorini 22 rooms from $282Imerovigli
A hotel cut from the cliff's edge with wow factor views and indulgent surroundings. All white rooms, suites and a palatial villa with fabulous private balconies and hot tubs. Lovely Mediterranean restaurant and extensive spa. Truly romantic and luxurious.Views - Panoramic sea viewsHoneymoonsRomantic BreakSwimming Pool - Wonderful infinity pool with stunning sea views - the largest of its kind on SantoriniRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, I Escape
Chromata 25 rooms from $381Imerovigli
Tradition meets cool contemporary on the most spectacular island in Greece. A series of cave houses in the cliffside, with white on white decor broken with stylish aztec bed throws. Impossibly perfect infinity pool and an intimate poolside restaurant both boast killer views. Ideal for honeymooners.Honeymoons - Sun, sea in a wonderously romantic honeymoon suite with private terrace, secluded Jacuzzi and sleek modern interiors.Sailing - Sail around the island and take in the stunning white villages and deserted beaches.Restrictions on children - Not suitable for children under thirteenViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels, Mr & Mrs Smith
Hotel Crillon le Brave 34 rooms from $334Crillon le Brave, Provence
A hilltop hotel in the heart of Provence surrounded by vineyards and olive groves. Elegant rooms offer style, views and soak baths. Fine dining on the terrace and a drink by the pool. Guests are enticed by the spa; the local charm and romantic feel about the place. A beautiful and memorable stay.Foodies - The spectacular cusine is locally and sustainable sourced- reflected in the unbeatable flavour and understanding of ingrediants.Total relaxation - Lounge by the pool and soak up the breathtaking views, pamper in the spa or gorge in the restaurant- utter heaven!Honeymoons - You could not find a more romantic or picturesque spot- plus the village set up lends a private feel to the rooms.Local markets - In typical French style, each local village has a market day, ask at the front desk for details.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
La Bandita 6 rooms from $261Pienza, Tuscany
A lovingly and tastefully restored farm house for laid back holidays and exclusive use. Simple yet beautiful rooms with white walls, limestone floors and beamed ceilings. Private gourmet chef, access to the wine cellar and fantastic swimming pool. Ideal as a country escape.Families - Feels like a welcoming private villa with rural charms, baby equipment and endless outdoor space for children to roam around.Country Escape - Watch the sunset over the stunning Val d'Orcia and feast on delicious Tusacan dishes and wine from the owners cellar.Sights nearby - Visit the UNESCO Heritage site Pienza, boasting an enchanting collection of 15th and 16th century buildings and gardens.Great walks - The beautiful Tuscan landscape of Val d'Orcia makes for wonderful walks.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet
Hotelito Lupaia 8 rooms from $282Torrita di Siena, Tuscany
An eccentric and luxurious Tuscan villa with stunning views. Rooms with fruit pastel colours lacquered on stone walls, wooden beams, four poster beds, and stone floors. Lovely terraces, pool, and delicious organic food. A romantic choice.Romantic BreakSights nearby - A great base for visiting Florence, Siena, Pienza and CortonaSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool with panoramic viewsViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape, CN Traveller
Grand Hotel Tremezzo 89 rooms from $301Tremezzo
Five Star Luxury from a Grand Hotel on the water's edge of Lake Como. Elegant interiors are understated, rather than overly lavish. Glossy parquet floors, brightly coloured walls, a mixture of contemporary and Baroque furniture, spectacular views from terraces. Excellent restaurant, spa, parklands.Views - Wonderful views of Bellagio and the Grigne mountains5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Romantic BreakTotal relaxationRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Perivolas LIfestyle Houses 20 rooms from $539Oia (Oia)
A collection of lifestyle houses converted from 300 year old caves, built into the hillside. Spectacular views and complete tranquility meets laidback luxury and style. Stunning infinity pool, beautiful terraced gardens, and superb contemporary Greek cuisine. A wildly romantic destination.Hideaway - Set in 300 year old caves this stunning seaside property feels a-million miles away from everything.Sailing - Take a boat across the lava islands for magical views of the sulphur exuding caldera.Great walks - Explore the winding alleys of Oia, filled with charming churchs and craft boutiques.Sights nearby - Discover the ancient ruins of the Minoan Akrotiri.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Masseria Cervarolo 18 rooms from $162Ostuni Brindisi, Puglia
Gorgeous traditional Ostuni farmhouse. Traditional trulli (conical peasants' houses) act as rooms and suites, immaculately painted in white. Stunning grounds, terraces, and enormous swimming pool. A fabulous choice for romantic breaks, family holidays, and friends.TraditionalGroupsFamiliesCooking classes - Learn traditional Puglian recipesRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
Azienda Agricola Mandranova 16 rooms from $146Palma di Montechiaro, Sicily
Gorgeous olive farm and farmhouse on a hillside. Fabulous designer rooms, suites, and two private cottages, spectacular views, African gardens, excellent food and very family friendly. Still very romantic and very luxurious.Views - Great views from hotelGroupsFamiliesCooking classes - Check for timings.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Masseria Torre Maizza 26 rooms from $246Savelletri de Fasano, Puglia
Sophisticated, contemporary hotel with a young, hip vibe. Smart blue and white contemporary bedrooms, some with open fires and jacuzzis. Wonderful courtyard bar with Balinese sofas and excellent restaurant overlooking the pool. Small spa, golf course and private beach club.Country Escape - Surrounded by ancient olive groves and fruit orchards, with fantastic walking, produce straight from the farm, and beach club.Romantic Break - A grown up choice with luxorious rooms, wonderful food, romantic yacht trips, olive oil massages and picturesque scenery.Great walks - Explore trulli country on foot or by bike- discover it's ancient olive groves, fruit trees and miles of scrub.Cooking classes - Pick fresh olives and vegetables from the olive groves and use them in yummy Apulian dishes.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet
The Belvedere 30 rooms from $136Conca dei Marini
Outwardly unassuming, this cliff top hotel will surprise with its magnificent views over the Amalfi coast, secluded private beach down steep steps, and old fashioned charm. A holiday destination for serious lazing in the sun in spectacular surroundings.Views - Spectacular views out to see and down the Amalfi coast.Coastal - Set on a cliff top.Total relaxationSwimming Pool - Seawater Pool
The Vine 79 rooms from $125Funchal, Madeira
This is a super modern spa hotel with slick minimalist interiors, lengthy wine list, and panoramic views of Funchal. A sophisticated spa break for those who want to be pampered to the max in a city environment.Spa breaksViews - Great views from hotelArchitecturalWellbeingRecommended by - I Escape, Kiwi Collection
Rey Juan Carlos 432 rooms from $134Barcelona
A massive urban resort with stunning pools and mediterranean gardens in the city, a short walk to Camp Nou. Tranquil ambience, with modern designer interiors. Rooms have good natural light and views over the city. Not central, but a short bus ride away.Large HotelGarden - Attractive outside space.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSpaRecommended by - Frommers
Grand Hotel Central 147 rooms from $141Barcelona
A large 1920s building renovated with subtle minimalism. An elegant atmosphere and lots of natural light. Its Michelin-starred restaurant, celestial views of the city from the roof top terrace, and central location make it a haven for those on an escape to Barcelona.Restaurant - 2 Michelin stars and outside the hotel, a few metres away.Roof terrace - Views over the city, plus swimming pool.City StyleViews - Views of the Gothic district and ancient city walls.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Fresh Hotel 136 rooms from $125Athens
Luxury meets minimal to make a statement at this colourful boutique hotel in the centre of Athens. Spacious and stylish rooms come with all the mod-cons. Admire the sunset from the rooftop pool and open-air bar. Top notch breakfast buffet at Magenta Restaurant. Great for romantics and explorers.Romantic Break - A hip spot for young couples- Tassos Zepos design interiors and achingly cool rooftop bar with pool and views of the Acropolis.Total relaxation - For those looking to unwind, take the suites featuring Zen Gardens and make the most of the Hammam, spa and steam rooms!Local markets - The food markets along nearby Athinas street sell herbs, honey, sweets, nuts and fresh fish, a lively and interesting sight.Great walks - Wander through the ancient Plaka district for flea markets, souvenirs, leather goods, pottery, tavernas and cafés.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Castell Son Claret 38 rooms from $466Calvia, Mallorca
Luxurious reincarnation of a 14th century castle in the South Western corner of the island. Serious pampering here with spa, yoga, massage and super attentive staff on hand plus Michelin starred dining. The perfect spot for a romantic retreat.Restaurant - Michelin starred cuisine in the Zaranda restaurantRomantic BreakFoodiesGreat walks - Hiking trails close by and plenty of pathways for walks around the estate.
Verdura Golf & Spa Resort 203 rooms from $501Agrigento,, Sicily
A Rocco Forte hotel with two 18 hole golf courses, two swimming pools, a spa, four restaurants and a kids club. Classic and modern rooms and suites with private terraces, some with private pools. Very family friendly, but still luxurious. Ideal for golf enthusiasts, spa breakers and beach lovers.Restaurant - 4 restaurants, one for children.Golf - Two 18-hole courses.GymLuxuryRecommended by - Tablet