- ✓ Best selection
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Best hotels for the Forest of Dean
As well as being England’s oldest oak forest, the UK’s first National Park, and an inspiration for all sorts of well known literature and lore, the Forest of Dean is also an amazing place to holiday. Beautiful, even a little mysterious at times, this ancient woodland is a wonderful place to walk, bike or even paddle through. And there’s quite a number of appetising properties on our Guru’s list of the best hotels for the Forest of Dean.
As well as the forest itself, we’ve also included properties in the Gloucestershire district of the Forest of Dean in our list of the best hotels for the Forest of Dean, and a couple of properties which are close enough to make a great base for forest explorers.
As well as having wonderful access to the peace and beauty of the woods, guests staying at the best hotels for the Forest of Dean are also surrounded by a number of fascinating prehistoric monuments, a Roman one or two and numerous castles and cathedrals dating from the time when this was a royal hunting ground. This is also a wonderful place for bird and butterfly watchers.
Best Hotels for the Forest of Dean
For a country escape
- 21 room, Tudor Farmhouse is a picture perfect country house hotel with charming rooms and suites and an acclaimed British restaurant. As well as being surrounded by the Forest of Dean, the farmhouse has its own beautiful grounds and gardens.
- Or you might go slightly out of the forest for Wilton Court, a country restaurant with rooms right on the River Wye. There are just eleven peaceful, elegant rooms beautiful gardens and access to excellent fishing.
For a special occasion
- The Three Choirs Vineyards is a working vineyard with 100 rolling acres, and a hilltop restaurant with eleven rooms. Perfect for foodies and wine lovers, of course, but also great for walkers and fisher-folk.
- The Whitebrook Restaurant with Rooms is just over the Welsh border, but still within the forest’s ‘green belt’, and is a Michelin starred restaurant with eight rooms.
If you haven’t found your idea of the perfect place to stay in, or around, the Forest of Dean on our Guru’s list of the best hotels for the Forest of Dean you could:
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in the Forest of Dean,
- expand further to include all the best places to stay in Gloucestershire,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Tudor Farmhouse 21 rooms from $118Clearwell, Gloucestershire
A picture perfect country house hotel set in the stunning landscape of the Forest of Dean and the Wye Valley. Charming chic rooms and suites, an acclaimed British restaurant, acres of emerald garden, and plenty of countryside pursuits to choose from. The perfect country escape.Views - Stunning woodland walks and views over bubbling brooks and meandering rivers.Active Holiday - The countryside landscape offers plenty of activities.Country EscapeFoodies
Wilton Court 11 rooms from $156Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire
Country restaurant with rooms on the banks of the River Wye. Wholesome country food, elegant rooms, beautiful garden lawns.Four poster beds - For romantics.Great walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Three Choirs Vineyards 11 rooms from $168Newent, Gloucestershire
Pretty 100 acre vineyard still producing 300,000 bottles a year. Hilltop restaurant with rooms. Fabulous views, tasty food, delicious wine, and wine tasting. Something different.Wine tastingViews - Great views from hotelGreat walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Whitebrook Restaurant with Rooms 8 rooms from $333Nr Monmouth, South and Mid Wales
Refined Michelin starred restaurant with rooms set in peaceful Welsh valley. Modern rooms with large comfortable beds and luxury bathrooms. Friendly service, understated setting and exceptional cuisine often using locally foraged produce. A real culinary treat.Foodies - A phenomanal Michelin starred restaurant serving up locally sourced seasonal produce, crafted to technical perfection.Local exploring - Ideal base for exploring Wye Valley, Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains. As well as local rambling through the woods.Great walks - Pack some wellies and walk directly from the hotel through St Margarets Wood.Sights nearby - Tintern Abbey and Raglan Castle are nearby, and worth checking out.Recommended by - Sawdays