- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Great Hampshire Pubs with Rooms
Hampshire is one of England’s most varied counties, with rolling hills, lush green forests, plains of heather, an unspoiled coastline and a great collection of bustling market towns and pretty villages. Plus it’s close to London, so an obvious choice for mini-breakers and weekenders from the capital. What a lot of people planning a visit might not know about the area is that there are loads of great Hampshire pubs with rooms.
Our Gurus have uncovered great Hampshire pubs with rooms in most of the most popular pockets, but they’ve also discovered some off-the-beaten-track rural charmers. And what better way of seeing this wonderfully traditional county than staying in a traditional coaching inn or friendly local pub? Our recommendations for great Hampshire pubs with rooms all offer comfortable, and often stylish, accommodation, a friendly atmosphere and great food and drink. Many are well located for walking trails, while others are close to the highlights of market towns and cities.
Great Hampshire Pubs with Rooms
Great Hampshire Pubs with Rooms and Great Views
- The Master Builder’s is right on the Beaulieu River in the New Forest, and is where many of Nelson’s ships were built. As well as being an historic treasure, it’s also a great pub, with a choice of eating in an award-winning restaurant or having great pub food in the pub - and in summer there’s also an excellent BBQ. It’s great for families and there’s a good range of rooms, the most reasonable starting from under £100 per night.
- The Woolpack Inn in the tiny, rural hamlet of Totford, is a traditional pub wth seven beautifully designed rooms. The decor is rustic, the food is good - they have a wood fired pizza oven - and the location is perfect for walkers, with great trails right on the doorstep.
- The Greyhound on the Test is an award-winning country inn in a private and idyllic spot on the Test River - so this is an ideal inn for keen fisher-folk too. There are ten, country-chic rooms and good food - including packed lunches if you need them.
- Famously owned by the bassist from Dire Straits, the East End Arms is a genuine village pub with five simple, well designed rooms. The focus is on the quality of the local food and ale on tap, and it’s a popular spot with locals. It’s also perfectly located for exploring the New Forest.
- The Peat Spade Inn in the Test Valley, is an ideal spot for outdoor types of all kinds. It’s long been a fishing inn, which is reflected in the decor - think tartan and pictures of fish - but the eight, characterful rooms are perfect for anyone exploring the pleasures of the valley, and there are great walks starting right from the door. There’s also a delicious seasonal menu and a cheery bar.
Great Hampshire Pubs for Couples
- The King’s Head in historic Hursley is a wonderful Georgian era coaching inn with eight country-chic rooms, great antiques and oodles of charm. The award-winning restaurant specialises in sourcing ingredients locally and you’re well positioned for all the charms of Hampshire.
- Close to the cathedral in Winchester, The Wykeham Arms is a characterful 18th century coaching inn with 13 individually designed rooms and a romantic feel. The bar is cosy and there’s a fine dining restaurant as well as the pub. No children allowed.
- Bel and the Dragon is a charming inn in the village of KIngsclere, with nine elegant rooms with original oak beans and deep bath tubs. The restaurant is gourmet and the hotel bar is cosy.
Great Hampshire Pubs with Rooms for Families
- The Yew Tree is the closest inn to Highclere Castle - it’s just moments away - near Watershed Down and Beacon Hill. Its eight rooms are stylishly done, with tartan prints, William Morris wallpapers and reclaimed furnishings. The food is perfectly executed pub grub...all in all this pub with rooms does what it says on the tin very well!
- The Old Vine is a great inn in Winchester, with five rooms, a relaxed vibe and hearty meals and fine wines and ales on offer in the bistro pub. Welcoming and close to the cathedral.
- The Mayflower is a smart, nautical themed pub with six smart rooms close to Lymington’s marina. There’s AA Rosette standard dining with a focus on sourcing everything locally - obviously the seafood is a good pick - and you’re right by the Solent and the New Forest.
Great Value Hampshire Pubs with Rooms
- The Bourne Valley Inn is a traditional country pub in the beautiful North Wessex Downs. There are nine cosy rooms and an AA Rosette rating for the restaurant - which also does a great breakfast which is included in the room rate of around £85 per night. There’s also a big garden.
- For around £90 per night you can stay in The Anchor Inn in pretty Lower Froyle - prime fishing and shooting country. This pub has just five characterful rooms - themed around the poets of the First World War - there are eccentric odds and ends, plenty of books and quaint private balconies. The views are wonderful.
If you haven’t found your idea of a great Hampshire pub with rooms on our Guru’s list you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Hampshire,
- expand your search to include the best pubs with rooms in Berkshire,
- or our Guru’s recommendations for Great Wiltshire Pubs with Rooms,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Great Hampshire Pubs with Rooms
Master Builder's 26 rooms from $116Brockenhurst, Beaulieu
Lovely historic property situated on the Beaulieu River. Maritime themed living rooms downstairs whilst bedrooms have a traditional country feel with the addition of colourful Indian fabrics. An award winning restaurant serves modern British cuisine. A host of activities. Ideal for families.Active Holiday - NFA, situated within the Beaulieu Estate, specialise in outdoor activities suitable both for team building and family fun.Country Escape - A stunning historic and cosy riverside property situated within the 9,000 acre Beaulieu Estate and the New Forest.Local markets - Make a trip to the quaint Lymington Saturday market and sample local foods and drink.Great walks - The very location, within the New Forest, makes this ideal walking terrain.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
East End Arms 5 rooms from $135East End, Hampshire
Genuine village pub that works well both for locals and overnight guests alike owned by the bassist from Dire Straits. Simple fresh rooms are well designed and comfortable. Hearty British fare is served in the restaurant and local ales are on tap. The New Forest is on the doorstep.Country Escape - Has all the quaintness necessary for a quintessentially British rural experience, plus great walking and a cosy bar.Foodies - Wonderful seasonal and locally sourced cuisine, the menu changes twice daily depending on what produce comes in.Sights nearby - Visit the Beaulieu estate and view the stately home, the Abbey and the National Motor Museum.Great walks - Grab a packed lunch, get your wellies on and head straight out into the New Forest.Recommended by - Sawdays
Bel and the Dragon, Hampshire 9 rooms from $141Kingsclere, Hampshire
A charming village inn with a focus on good food and comfortable beds. The elegant rooms are tastefully furnished and feature original wooden beaming and deep bath tubs. Downstairs, there's an excellent gourmet restaurant and the hotel's bar is the perfect cosy sanctuary on a windswept day.Romantic Break - A couples haven- with in room tubs, plush bedding, a cosy bar complete with fireplace and an excellent restaurant.Country Escape - This quaint and charming bolthole makes for an ideal country getaway to the sleepy village of Kingsclere.Sights nearby - History buffs must be sure to visit the nearby Highclere Castle.Great walks - Explore the lovely Hampshire countryside on foot.
Peat Spade Inn 8 rooms from $133Longstock, Hampshire
A delightful fishing inn and refuge for country sports enthusiasts in the beautiful Test Valley. Characterful rooms with warming hues, traditional paintings and tartan fabrics. Wonderful seasonal cuisine on the ever changing menu. Situated in a quaint village, it's the ideal country escape.Active Holiday - Nestled in Hampshire's Test Valley, a veritable Mecca for sporty types with England's best fly fishing, shooting and walking.Hideaway - A cosy country hideaway with plush beds, roaring fires, cheerful bar and hearty cuisine.Sights nearby - Visit the beautiful Longstock Park Water Gardens, reputed to be the most beautiful in England.Great walks - Lovely walks starting straight from the hotel door, and a bar stool awaiting your return!Recommended by - Sawdays
The Mayflower 6 rooms from $135Lymington (Hampshire)
The Mayflower is a smart pub with rooms close to Lymington's marina. Six individually designed rooms, all with a cool nautical theme & one with private balcony. Dinners (AA Rosette standard) feature delicious locally sourced, seasonal fare. A great base for exploring the coast or New Forest.Local exploring - Whether you're a yachtie or land lubber, there's plenty in the surrounding area to keep everyone happy.Birdwatching - Britain's largest colony of Black headed gulls can be found in the North Solent Nature ReserveSailing - Charter a boat and enjoy a day's sailing off the South CoastSights nearby - Motor mueum at Beaulieu, plus gardens at Exbury and Furzey
The Yew Tree 8 rooms from $121Highclere,, Hampshire
The closest inn to Highclere Castle, The Yew Tree is a firm favourite amongst families and couples making a break from London for the weekend. Stylish rooms and interiors feature tartan prints, reclaimed furnishings and novel lighting. Perfectly executed pub grub is the focus of the menu. Tuck in.Sights nearby - Billed as being the closest pub to Highclere Castle it is but moments away.Great walks - Perambulate the nearby Natural Garden.Full of character
The Old Vine 5 rooms from $159Winchester (Hampshire)
This four star inn is brilliantly placed for people wanting to explore Winchester by foot. The relaxed vibe throughout the hotel makes it great for families whilst charming rooms mean couples will like it too. Hearty meals, fine wines and ales are served in the bistro pub. A welcoming stay.Sights nearby - Winchester Cathedral is round the corner.Full of character
Woolpack Inn 7 rooms from $122Totford, Hampshire
The Woolpack Inn is a classic, traditional pub with beautifully designed rooms in a tiny rural hamlet. Seven elegant, rustic-chic rooms with exposed stone and brick walls. Great food with daily specials and outdoor wood-fired oven for casual pizzas. A real family friendly country find.Active Holiday - Being dog friendly & boasting miles of lovely countryside make the Woolpack Inn very popular with shooting parties and ramblers.Romantic Break - An ideal country escape for two- with log fires, sweeping views, cosy rooms, deep soaking tubs and wonderful traditional grub.Great walks - There are a wide range of walks for all abilities on the doorstep, bring your pooch!Fishing - The area is great for fly fishing, which can be arranged from the hotel.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Wykeham Arms 13 rooms from $171Winchester (Hampshire)
An award winning centrally located pub with comfortable individually decorated guest rooms is well situated, close to the cathedral, for city sight-seeing. Couples will love the cosy romantic feel and friendly, helpful service.Sights nearby - Winchester Catherdral is just a few minutes walk away. Winchester Castle is also worth visiting.Great walks - Embark on a guided walk through historic Roman and Saxon Winchester.Restrictions on children - Children not permitted.Full of character
The King's Head, Hampshire 8 rooms from $135Hampshire
The King's Head is a Georgian coaching inn in historic Hursley. Eight country-chic rooms with antique furnishings, original fireplaces and oodles of charm. Award winning British cuisine featuring locally sourced ingredients and a traditional skittles alley. A wonderful country escape.Local exploring - Ideally located for exploring the surrounding area with its beautiful countryside, including Winchester and Jane Austen's HouseSights nearby - The King's Head provides an ideal base for exploring Winchester and the New ForestGreat walks - The Hampshire downlands are full of lovely walks for all abilitiesFull of character
Bourne Valley Inn 9 rooms from $104Andover, Hampshire
The Bourne Valley Inn is a traditional country pub located in bucolic Hampshire. Rooms are decorated in a cosy yet classic style. AA Rosette dishes are served and the full english breakfast (included in the room rate) and afternoon tea are real treats. Its large gardens are a huge draw too.Country Escape - A proper stay in an English country pub surrounded by some of Hampshire's finest sceneryGreat walks - Bourne Valley is one of Hampshire's most picturesque spots and popular for walking
The Anchor Inn 5 rooms from $110Lower Froyle, Hampshire
The Anchor Inn is a traditional pub located in prime shooting and fishing country. Full of character with books, pictures, nostalgic bric a brac and WW1 poet themed rooms. Featuring eccentricities such as wooden galleries & quaint private balconies each room is unique. A wonderful country escape.Country Escape - A cosy property boasting far reaching views across some of Hampshire's most bucolic landscapes- perfect for ramblers.Great walks - Wonderful walking starting right from the front door, plus warm fires and hearty meals to greet you on return.Fishing - The two nearby chalkstreams make for great fishing, so don't forget your rods.Sights nearby - For a truly Hampshire experience gusets can visit Jane Austen's house.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide