- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Best Hotels for The North York Moors National Park
The North Moors National Park is one of the UK’s largest expanses of heather moorland, and were one of the earliest parts of the UK to be designated a National Park. It can be tricky to find great accommodation within the park, but our Guru’s list of the best hotels for the North York Moors National Park will help you find the perfect base for whatever kind of exploring you want to do.
The best hotels within the Park
- Broom House in the Esk Valley has views right over the moors, from its eight, light contemporary bedrooms. There are also lovely gardens and you’re close to several pretty towns with great pubs. Great value with rooms starting from less than £100 per night.
The Best Hotels for The North York Moors National Park - Helmsley
Helmsley is a charming market town on the Southern edge of the National Park. It's the perfect base for exploring both Moors and further afield.
- In Helmsely itself, the Black Swan is in a superb location in the centre of this attractive village. The bedrooms are a little beige but there are genuine creaky wooden floorboards and a really lovely outlook.
- Also in Helmsley, the Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa is a cleverly updated thirty three bedroom hotel with the luxury of an outdoor heated pool. Sophisticated bedrooms with good bathrooms and a well-regarded restaurant make this a great place for a sybaritic weekend break.
For a complete escape
- To the North West of the National Park, Judges Country House Hotel is a stately old Victorian house with 21 grand rooms, near Yarm. Some rooms have four-poster beds and there’s a wonderfully romantic garden with woodland paths leading to a stream.
Yorkshire is becoming a bit of a foodie hotspot. Here are our recommendations for the best hotels in the North York Moors if delicious dinner is top of your priority list.
- The bedrooms at the Star Inn have nailed the cosy but modern country look to a T. Exposed beams? Check. Plentiful natural textures? Check. Roll top bath in the room? Check. Fantastically rustic dining room with great service and Michelin starred food? Check.
- The White Swan Inn, Pickering, has a cosy bar and restaurant which serves excellent hearty local food and good wine. Its stone fireplace sand welcoming deep rose coloured armchairs mean you won't want to go to bed. But when you do the immaculate bedrooms are decorated in soothing tones with plenty of storage and sitting space.
As you'd imagine most of the best hotels for the North York Moors are good for walkers. Our particular favourite in this category is:
- The Pheasant, three miles East of Helmsley is a converted blacksmith's with twelve bedrooms and a converted stone barn which houses an indoor pool. There’s also a comfortable bar with a cavernous open fire, window seats and a low beamed ceiling.
For great value
- Crathorne Hall Hotel in nearby Yarm is a great value choice for anyone who loves a beautiful old country house hotel. Set within its own 15 acres, it’s also close to Durham Cathedral.
For country house style
- For those who are searching for a country house treat, then our pick of the best hotels in the North York Moors is Cleveland Tontine, a 19th Century house with just seven bedrooms, each individually decorated in wonderful art-deco antiques and elaborate wallpapers. The food's pretty good too!
If you haven’t found anywhere you fancy on our list of the best hotels for the North York Moors National Park, refine your search to:
- Best places to stay in Helmsley
- Best places to stay in Richmond
- Best places to stay in Skipton
- Best places to stay in Harrogate,
- OR or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Broom House 8 rooms from $114Whitby, Yorkshire
Located in the Esk Valley with views of the moors sits this eight bedroom property. All rooms are light with contemporary decor and modern bathrooms. Enjoy tea and scones in the sitting room or sun dappled gardens. There is also a full English or Continental breakfast to look forward to.Great walks - Across the Esk Valley, through the rolling Yorkshire moors or just to the local pubLocal markets - The market towns of Staithes and Robin Hood's Bay are a must visitSailing - Boat trips or private hire available at the coastal town of WhitbySights nearby - Visit Castle Howard Yorkshire's finest stately home
Star Inn 8 rooms from $191Harome, Yorkshire
Michelin-starred gastropub-with-rooms in a peaceful farming village, close to the North York Moors. Comfortably rustic rooms in hunting-lodge style, free-ranging hens plus warm, friendly service create a genuinely relaxed atmosphere.Foodies - A north Yorkshire restaurant through and through which holds one Michelin StarGreat walks - Circular walks from the pub or longer hikesSights nearby - Visit the medieval Hemsley CastleFull of characterRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
White Swan Inn 21 rooms from $202Pickering, Yorkshire
Traditional Georgian coaching inn, overlooking the market square, with creaky floors and low ceilings, a smart dining room and a choice of traditional or contemporary bedrooms. Great location and a genuinely friendly Yorkshire welcome.Value chic - A charming and characterful spot with chic interiors, warm and heartfelt service and gourmet cuisine, at a reasonable price.Back to Nature - A warm a cosy spot to retire to after a tiring day exploring the beautiful Yorkshire Moors.Great walks - North Yorkshire Moors on the doorstep with miles od spectacular walking and breathtaking views.Sights nearby - Visit Castle Howard, Hovingham Hall, Duncombe Park or Helmsley Walled Garden
The Pheasant 12 rooms from $197Near Helmsley, Yorkshire
Tastefully converted smithy on the southern tip of the North York Moors. Central courtyard with fruit trees surrounded by attractive bedrooms. Indoor pool and award-winning restaurant.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolGreat walks - Good for walkers.Romantic - Good for couples.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Black Swan at Helmsley 45 rooms from $235Helmsley, Yorkshire
A historic former coaching inn turned smart hotel in the charming market town of Helmsley. Bedrooms offer a choice between quirky and original or country-contemporary. Guests love the sleek, fine-dining restaurant, pretty tearoom and lovely walled garden. An elegant escape close to the Moors.Foodies - Foodies will love the award winning restaurant, where everything is made in house using only the best of Yorkshire's produce.Local exploring - A well situated base for exploring this picturesque market town and right on the edge of the Moors.Great walks - Make the most of the over 1,400 miles of country paths and tracks around Ryedale.Sights nearby - Visit the ruins of Helmsley Castle that overlook the town.
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa 33 rooms from $254Helmsley, Yorkshire
Chic old York stone inn and spa located in a picturesque Yorkshire village. Contemporary interiors meet luxury features to make a relaxing stay. Enjoy a diverse menu at the Weathervane, relax at the heated pool and indulge in spa treatments. A luxurious stay for local exploring.Foodies - Foodies will love the locally sourced and expertly crafted menu, plus a hearty breakfast is included in the price.Romantic Break - A secluded spot to getaway together, with tandem massages, deep soaking tubs, cosy corners and crakling fires.Great walks - The hotel is on the edge of the Moors and close to a National Park, an ideal spot for rambling.Sights nearby - Helmsley Castle, Castle Howard and Helmsley Walled Garden are all worth checking out.
Judges Country House Hotel 21 rooms from $165Yarm, Yorkshire
Stately Victorian country house set in 26 acres of attractive gardens. Grand interiors, gourmet restaurant, private woods for walking.Secluded setting - For escaping.Great walks - Good for walkers.
Crathorne Hall Hotel 37 rooms from $127Yarm
Small country house hotel in North Yorkshire handy for the North Yorks Moors National Park and Durham Cathedral. Set amid fifteen acres it offers a quiet rural escape and is the ideal venue for an intimate wedding or small business event.Great walks - There are spectacular walks to be had in the area. Or simply explore the extensive grounds.Sights nearby - Good location for visiting Durham Cathedral, Darlington Railway Museum and Barnard Castle.
Cleveland Tontine 7 rooms from $165Staddlebridge, Yorkshire
This 19th century property has undergone a unique transformation since taken over by Charles and Angela. A designer's dream each of the seven bedrooms are decorated in an art-deco style with ornate wallpapers, retro mirrors and antique beds. The conservatory speaks of Indian summers and high tea.Great walks - The Yorkshire Dales have some of the most picturesque walking routes, historic villages and plenty of great pubs!Sights nearby - The historic sites of Mount Grace Priory, Fountains Abbey and Newby Hall are all within a short drive.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide