- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Book Now
Best hotels for the Wye Valley
The Wye Valley is an official Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty right on the border of England and Wales - so it’s protected and scenic, and in some places, especially where the river forges rocky limestone gorges, quite dramatic. The forests around the river are dense, and ancient, and home to a range of plants and animals - including bats and peregrine falcons, hence the need to protect them. The best hotels for the Wye Valley tend to offer a country escape in a breathtaking setting.
The part of the Wye Valley classified as an AONB is just the stretch between Hereford and Chepstow, but our Gurus have included a few adjacent offerings in their list of the best hotels for the Wye Valley, as they’re still great bases for exploring the region.
As well as being surrounded by pristine scenery, staying in one of our Guru recommended best places to stay for the Wye Valley also sees you close to a collection of fascinating archaeological and industrial remains: the Wye Valley has been inhabited by humans for about 12,000 years, and there are standing stones, the remains of Iron Age forts and the remains of 8th Century build, Offa’s Dyke, built to mark the boundary between England and Wales.
Best Hotels for the Wye Valley
For Something Special
- Whitebrook Restaurant with Rooms is a refined, Michelin starred restaurant with eight rooms at the top of the Wye Valley, with views over the valley itself. The facade and the rooms are simple, but the food is impressive, as are the views.
For a country escape
- The Bell at Skenfrith has been stylishly converted from an old coaching inn, into an 11 room hotel with plenty of charm and a relaxed atmosphere perfect for families and outdoorsy folk and fishermen.
- Or you might try the 21 room, Tudor Farmhouse in the nearby Forest of Dean, a picture perfect country house hotel with charming rooms and suites, an acclaimed British restaurant and its own beautiful grounds and gardens.
Close to the River
- Slightly up from the valley is Ross-on-Wye, where you’ll find Wilton Court, a country restaurant with rooms right on the River Wye. There are just eleven peaceful, elegant rooms beautiful gardens and access to excellent fishing.
If you haven’t found your ideal spot in, or around, the Wye Valley on our Guru’s list of the best hotels for the Wye Valley, then you could:
- expand your search to include all the best places to stay in the Wye Valley,
- refine your search to the best places to stay in Monmouthshire,
- or the best places to stay in Gloucestershire,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Bell at Skenfrith 11 rooms from $196Monmouthshire, South and Mid Wales
Monmouthshire old coaching inn turned stylish hideaway - perfect for the great outdoors. Charmingly quaint rooms with chic touches. Superb food straight from the organic kitchen garden. Relaxed atmosphere, family friendly and perfect for outdoorsy types.Foodies - The simple, uunpretentious menu hits the right note everytime thanks to the full flavours of locally sourced organic produce.Hideaway - With no mobile phone reception and a deep-black star-lit sky at night this truly a retreat from everyday life.Country Escape - Surrounded by beautiful lush gardens complete with fragrant orchard and superb kitchen garden.Great walks - Circular walks from the door. Special walking break packages available.Recommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays, Johansens
Tudor Farmhouse 23 rooms from $159Clearwell, Gloucestershire
A picture perfect country house hotel set in the stunning landscape of the Forest of Dean and the Wye Valley. Charming chic rooms and suites, an acclaimed British restaurant, acres of emerald garden, and plenty of countryside pursuits to choose from. The perfect country escape.Views - Stunning woodland walks and views over bubbling brooks and meandering rivers.Active Holiday - The countryside landscape offers plenty of activities.Country EscapeFoodiesRecommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
Wilton Court 11 rooms from $153Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire
Country restaurant with rooms on the banks of the River Wye. Wholesome country food, elegant rooms, beautiful garden lawns.Four poster beds - For romantics.Great walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Johansens
Whitebrook Restaurant with Rooms 8 rooms from $328Nr Monmouth, South and Mid Wales
Refined Michelin starred restaurant with rooms set in peaceful Welsh valley. Modern rooms with large comfortable beds and luxury bathrooms. Friendly service, understated setting and exceptional cuisine often using locally foraged produce. A real culinary treat.Foodies - A phenomanal Michelin starred restaurant serving up locally sourced seasonal produce, crafted to technical perfection.Local exploring - Ideal base for exploring Wye Valley, Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains. As well as local rambling through the woods.Great walks - Pack some wellies and walk directly from the hotel through St Margarets Wood.Sights nearby - Tintern Abbey and Raglan Castle are nearby, and worth checking out.Recommended by - Sawdays