- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Escape to The Hamptons
Before we dreamed of spending our summer holidays in glamorous, sunny, exotic destinations we dreamed of spending them in glamorous, sunny, familiar ones. Familiar from films and books and magazines, where the articles would invite us to ‘Escape to The Hamptons’ with the rich, famous and fabulously artistic and beautiful. Sigh.
This string of seaside villages and hamlets on the southern fork of Long Island are still just as enticing. These days an escape to The Hamptons still means lazy days spent on windswept stretches of golden sand, backed by rolling dunes; an escape to The Hamptons means drives into pretty towns where there are interesting boutiques and galleries to peruse; an escape to The Hamptons means excellent seafood, spectacular sunsets, sailing adventures and the opportunity to rub shoulders - and play golf or tennis, with famous faces.
The Best Places to Escape to The Hamptons
Best Places to Escape to The Hamptons - Southampton
Southampton itself is a collection of villages and hamlets, with Southampton Village at the centre. The Village is home to many of the region’s museums, and to many historic colonial buildings and the area’s roots as a whaling community. An escape to Southampton also includes some extremely beautiful arches of beach and some very high end boutiques and restaurants.
- A Butler's Manor is a historic, five room, family-run inn offering friendly service and exquisite breakfasts. Its charming, English style garden and welcoming pool make it perfect for a great value city getaway.
Best Places to Escape to The Hamptons - East Hampton
East Hampton is where you’ll find the summer houses belonging to some of the highest profile residents. Thus an escape to East Hampton also includes the opportunity to catch some seriously impressive local readings, theatre productions and exhibitions.
- c/o The Maidstone is an eclectic Scandinavian inspired hotel with 19 individually designed rooms and beautiful private gardens. There’s also a wonderful American-Scandinavian restaurant and yoga classes offered in the Buddha Relaxation Garden.
- The 1770 House is an intimate, seven room, colonial era inn in the heart of East Hampton Village. As well as the original architectural features there’s lovely antiques, a library and beautiful gardens. Guests will find plenty of peace here, but they’re also only a short stroll from beaches and the pleasures of town.
- The Baker House 1650 is a wonderful Arts and Crafts inspired mansion with beautiful manicured gardens and six charming rooms. Breakfasts are served in your room or on the terrace, and there’s the opportunity to play golf or tennis locally, or sample the local bars and restaurants of East Hampton Villiage.
Best Places to Escape to The Hamptons - Bridgehampton
Bridgehampton is a slightly more modest hamlet, with a less showy, but still very nice, high street and collection of cafes and restaurants. Home to the Hampton Classic horse show and the Bridgehampton Polo Club - the road racing track has now been converted into the golf club, this is a great place for folk who’ll enjoy an active escape to The Hamptons.
- The Bridgehampton Inn is a homely, yet luxurious ten room hotel with a French cuisine inspired restaurant, a glorious private patio and some lovely antiques.
- Topping Rose House is a wonderfully grand converted mansion with 22 spacious rooms and an on-site farm which feeds the Tom Colicchio run restaurant. There’s also an outdoor pool and spa, a gym and complimentary bike hire.
Best Places to Escape to The Hamptons - Sag Harbour
Just across from Shelter Island, Sag Harbour was a whaling town, and its simple, narrow streets disguise the international importance Sag Harbour had historically as America’s first official port, so ships would have to stop here before they sailed on into New York. Sag Harbour is also name checked in Moby DIck, so an escape to Sag Harbour should definitely include a visit to the Whaling Museum.
• The American Hotel has just eight rooms - done up with American antiques. There’s also a popular and lively restaurant with an award winning wine list and a 75 foot hotel boat…
If you haven’t found your idea of the perfect way to escape to The Hamptons here, why not consider
- expanding your search to include all the best places to stay on Long Island?
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for some advice.
A Butler's Manor 5 rooms from $165Southampton, New York State
Perfect getaway location, with top-notch hospitality, family-run charm and all the modern amenities you might need. A friendly, professional inn with exquisite breakfasts and five delightful rooms each with unique charm in a historic property. Stunning English garden and seasonal outdoor pool.Four poster beds - Villefranche room has a four-poster bedGreat walks - Good for walkers.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Fodors
c/o The Maidstone 19 rooms from $220East Hampton
Eclectic and Scandinavian-inspired hotel in the Hamptons with unique and individually designed stylish rooms. Relax in the private gardens, cycle the 1 mile trip to the beautiful white sands of the East Hampton beach, and dine at the intimate and richly decorated American-Scandinavian restaurant.Beach Life - Rooms come with a much-coveted beach parking permit, towels, umbrellas and loungers for the white sands of East Hampton beachTotal relaxation - The Buddha Relaxation Garden offers yoga sessions, and the private gardens provide the perfect oasis.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Back to NatureRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The 1770 House 7 rooms from $245East Hampton
Intimate inn just minutes from the heart of East Hampton Village. Retaining its original architecture and colonial charm, the rooms boast antique furnishings complimented by luxurious, modern amenities. The comfort is enhanced by beautiful gardens, a stylish library, and first-class dining.Beach Life - Coopers Beach in Southampton, or the sandy flats of Main Beach in East Hampton, both a short distance away.Back to Nature - With beautiful gardens and a short distance to picturesque beaches.Swimming Pool - Not on site, but at the sister property East Hampton Point up the road there is a secluded poolFull of characterRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The Baker House 1650 6 rooms from $275East Hampton (New York State)
Arts and Crafts inspired architecture in manicured gardens with a pool and spa. British in feel, rooms are contemporary and luxurious. Breakfast is served in-room or on the terrace. East Hampton offers golf, water sports, tennis, great walks and many dining opportunities with lively bars.Fishing - Deep sea fishing is a popular past time in the area.Full of characterSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSpa
The American Hotel 8 roomsSag Harbor (New York State)
1846 townhouse has eight rooms, a popular and lively restaurant and an award winning 85-page wine list. Rooms are comfortable with American antiques and private bathrooms. French classical is on the menu, and the staff are top notch. Hop on to the owners 75 foot John Trump houseboat for the day.Sailing - Charters are avaliable at the harbour.Great walks - Walk along Havens Beach.Full of characterLively - Hip and happening.
Topping Rose House 22 rooms from $395Bridgehampton
Beautifully grand converted home in Bridgehampton, a few miles from unspoiled beaches. Perfectly designed spacious rooms, heated outdoor pool & spa, on-site farm providing for the renowned Tom Colicchio-run restaurant, and complimentary cars and bikes to explore the spectacular surroundings.Active Holiday - Complimentary bicycles, a pool and gym, a short cycle to long stretches of beach, and numerous hiking and biking trails nearby.Restaurant - Run by Tom Colicchio's Craft Restaurant Group, the food served in the elegant dining room is renowned for its excellence.Eco break - On-site Farm provides for the restaurant, some local and organic goods too. Toiletries also are all ecologically friendlyBeach Life - Ocean Road Beach is 2.5 miles away, and there are plenty of other stretches of sand a short cycle away.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Bridgehampton Inn 10 rooms from $250Bridgehampton
Homey yet up-scale establishment for guests who want to relax while enjoying the fine lifestyle of the Hamptons. Rooms have four poster beds and antiques, private patio access, and well-appointed bathrooms. French-trained chef offers "thoughtfully playful" menus which change with the seasons.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Romantic - Good for couples.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor