- ✓ Best selection
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Best places to stay on Long Island
Technically Long Island stretches all the way from Brooklyn to Montauk, but for most people the idea of Long Island only really starts after the city has well and truly receded behind them. Then in front of you are the windswept sand dunes, rolling vineyards, charming old fishing ports and upscale summer resorts of a romantic golden age of glamour. Some of the best places to stay on Long Island are still quite glamorous, though our Guru’s list also includes some great value options.
Long time haven of relaxation, there are many choices when it comes to choosing the best places to stay on Long Island for you. To an outsider the obvious choice might be The Hamptons - made famous by numerous books and films. Historic and historically favoured by both wealthy and artistic communities, The Hamptons are a string of small villages: Southampton for the museums and the beautiful arching beaches, Bridgehampton for the restaurants and shopping, East Hampton favourite of the highest profile celebrities and pretty little Sag Harbour.
South Shore is another Long Island option, easily reached by train from New York, this is the place for beach lovers. Or there’s North Shore, which is even closer to the city, and made desirable by Gatsby-types in the 20s. North Fork has Greenport and the vineyards and the farms. And right at the far tip is Montauk, known for its surf culture and the wonderfully evocative Montauk Point Lighthouse, which has been in operation since 1796.
The Best Places to Stay on Long Island
- c/o The Maidstone is an eclectic Scandinavian inspired hotel in East Hampton with 19 individually designed rooms and beautiful private gardens. There’s also a wonderful American-Scandinavian restaurant and yoga classes offered in The Buddha Relaxation Garden.
- Topping Rose House in Bridgehampton is a wonderfully grand converted mansion with 22 spacious rooms and an on-site farm which feeds the Tom Colicchio run restaurant. There’s also an outdoor pool and spa, a gym and complimentary bike hire.
- The American Hotel in Sag Harbour has just eight rooms, done up with American antiques and private bathrooms. There’s also a popular and lively restaurant with an award winning wine list and a 75 foot hotel boat.
- Oheka Castle is a French château style mansion built in 1919, and is now an opulent, 32 room hotel. The interiors are nothing short of splendid and there’s a bar, gym, restaurant and extensive grounds.
- Bridgehampton’s Bridgehampton Inn is a homely, yet luxurious ten room hotel with a French cuisine inspired restaurant, a glorious private patio and some lovely antiques.
The Best Places to Stay on Long Island - New York Adjacent
- The Inn at Great Neck affords guests access to the best of the city and Long Island. The interiors are Art Deco inspired and there are 85 creamy-goldy rooms. Ideal if you’re looking for a small luxurious hotel.
- The Quogue Club at Hallock House in Quogue is a sophisticated small town hotel with 14 deluxe rooms and suites. There’s yoga and massage available onsite and there’s also a bar and dining room.
- A Butler's Manor in Southhampton is a five room, family-run inn offering great value, friendly service and exquisite breakfasts.
- The Baker House 1650 is a wonderful Arts and Crafts inspired mansion with beautiful manicured gardens and six charming rooms.
For a seaside break
- The Sunset Beach Hotel is a seaside hotel right on the beach on Shelter Island. Private beach views are an added bonus to this tastefully renovated 1960s hotel and there are 20 rooms, each with its own private sundeck. There’s also a popular outdoor restautant and a bar.
- The 1770 House is an intimate, seven room, colonial era inn in the heart of East Hampton Village. As well as the original architectural features there’s lovely antiques, a library and beautiful gardens. Guests will find plenty of peace here, but they’re also only a short stroll from beaches and the pleasures of town.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay on Long Island for you?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Long Island,
- expand your search to include the best places to stay in New York,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
c/o The Maidstone 19 rooms from $229East Hampton
Eclectic and Scandinavian-inspired hotel in the Hamptons with unique and individually designed stylish rooms. Relax in the private gardens, cycle the 1 mile trip to the beautiful white sands of the East Hampton beach, and dine at the intimate and richly decorated American-Scandinavian restaurant.Beach Life - Rooms come with a much-coveted beach parking permit, towels, umbrellas and loungers for the white sands of East Hampton beachTotal relaxation - The Buddha Relaxation Garden offers yoga sessions, and the private gardens provide the perfect oasis.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Back to Nature
Topping Rose House 22 rooms from $395Bridgehampton
Beautifully grand converted home in Bridgehampton, a few miles from unspoiled beaches. Perfectly designed spacious rooms, heated outdoor pool & spa, on-site farm providing for the renowned Tom Colicchio-run restaurant, and complimentary cars and bikes to explore the spectacular surroundings.Active Holiday - Complimentary bicycles, a pool and gym, a short cycle to long stretches of beach, and numerous hiking and biking trails nearby.Restaurant - Run by Tom Colicchio's Craft Restaurant Group, the food served in the elegant dining room is renowned for its excellence.Eco break - On-site Farm provides for the restaurant, some local and organic goods too. Toiletries also are all ecologically friendlyBeach Life - Ocean Road Beach is 2.5 miles away, and there are plenty of other stretches of sand a short cycle away.
The American Hotel 8 roomsSag Harbor (New York State)
1846 townhouse has eight rooms, a popular and lively restaurant and an award winning 85-page wine list. Rooms are comfortable with American antiques and private bathrooms. French classical is on the menu, and the staff are top notch. Hop on to the owners 75 foot John Trump houseboat for the day.Sailing - Charters are avaliable at the harbour.Great walks - Walk along Havens Beach.Full of characterLively - Hip and happening.
Oheka Castle 32 rooms from $395Huntington, New York State
Regal French-style château built as a private residence in 1919, now a remarkable and opulent choice for the discerning visitor to Long Island. Interiors are sophisticated with lavish furnishings. European cuisine at the bar and restaurant, gym, in-room massage and wedding/event planning available.Romantic - Good for couples.Four poster beds - For romantics.Opulent
Bridgehampton Inn 10 rooms from $250Bridgehampton
Homey yet up-scale establishment for guests who want to relax while enjoying the fine lifestyle of the Hamptons. Rooms have four poster beds and antiques, private patio access, and well-appointed bathrooms. French-trained chef offers "thoughtfully playful" menus which change with the seasons.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Romantic - Good for couples.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
The Inn at Great Neck 85 rooms from $255Great Neck, New York State
Perfect location for guests with a sense for refined elegance. Interiors are Art-Deco inspired, featuring a palette of golds and creams, Serendipity Suite Sleeper Beds with gel infused pillow top mattresses, oversized marble bathrooms and designer throw blankets. Enjoy French/American fusion dining.Sights nearby - The Science Museum of LI is a 10min drive from the Great Neck hotel. Old Westbury Gardens and Saddle Rock Grist are 15min away.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
The Quogue Club at Hallock House 14 rooms from $288Quogue, New York State
Sophistication pervades every space of this intimate smalltown hotel, lovingly restored to deluxe boutique status. Each of the rooms are decked out in a soothing palette of pastel greens and blues, and hardwood furniture adds a rustic touch. Yoga, massages, on-site bar and dining, and friendly staffSights nearby - You can go shopping in Southampton or enjoy North Fork vineyards, and Manhattan is only 90 mins away.Designer - Interiors by famed designer Alexa HamptonGreat walks - Good for walkers.
A Butler's Manor 5 rooms from $165Southampton, New York State
Perfect getaway location, with top-notch hospitality, family-run charm and all the modern amenities you might need. A friendly, professional inn with exquisite breakfasts and five delightful rooms each with unique charm in a historic property. Stunning English garden and seasonal outdoor pool.Four poster beds - Villefranche room has a four-poster bedGreat walks - Good for walkers.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Fodors
The Baker House 1650 6 rooms from $275East Hampton (New York State)
Arts and Crafts inspired architecture in manicured gardens with a pool and spa. British in feel, rooms are contemporary and luxurious. Breakfast is served in-room or on the terrace. East Hampton offers golf, water sports, tennis, great walks and many dining opportunities with lively bars.Fishing - Deep sea fishing is a popular past time in the area.Full of characterSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSpa
Sunset Beach Hotel 20 rooms from $318Shelter Island
Seaside hotel on Shelter Island with spectacular views. A tastefully renovated 1960s motel, the hotel, both intimate and lively, has a popular outdoor restaurant and bar. Each room has a private sundeck, hardwood floors and modern furnishings, and the hotel opens out onto a stunning private beach.Active Holiday - The hotel can organise biking, kayaking, volleyball, petanque, horse riding, sailing, jet skiing, tennis, golf and fishing.Beach Life - On the beautiful Sunset Beach, this hotel is the perfect option for anyone looking to bask in the sun by the ocean.Views - Unobstructed spectacular views of the ocean and the beach from each room.Lively - Hip and happening.
The 1770 House 7 rooms from $254East Hampton
Intimate inn just minutes from the heart of East Hampton Village. Retaining its original architecture and colonial charm, the rooms boast antique furnishings complimented by luxurious, modern amenities. The comfort is enhanced by beautiful gardens, a stylish library, and first-class dining.Beach Life - Coopers Beach in Southampton, or the sandy flats of Main Beach in East Hampton, both a short distance away.Back to Nature - With beautiful gardens and a short distance to picturesque beaches.Swimming Pool - Not on site, but at the sister property East Hampton Point up the road there is a secluded poolFull of character