Ten Reason Why I Love… Pestana Palace, Lisbon
1. The bust of the Marquis de Valle Flôre…a kindly, avuncular man whose spirit lives on in his exquisite, harmonious fin-de-siècle palace…
2. …..inlaid with gilt, stucco and trompe-l’oeil and beautifully furnished with European antiques.
3. The series of ravishing reception rooms that lead to a balcony overlooking the family chapel…. just the place for a wedding in lovely Lisbon.
4. Authentic touches in this National Monument-turned- hotel: the city’s first lift; the original kitchens; the family portraits.
5. The corridors… at double height, the height of luxury.
6. The simple gauze curtains employed thoughout by the interior designers (the palace opened as a hotel in 2001) that set off rather than compete with the beauty and intricacy of the decoration.
7. The four magnificent suites in the palace itself with private balcony (from £1,150)…
8. …or, failing them, a Garden View room in the modern wing (from £180): you still have the run of the palace.
9. The lush gardens with its hidden lake-turned-swimming pool.
10. The sheer treat of staying somewhere quite so beautiful, authentic and mercifully unspoilt.
Doubles from £158.comments powered by Disqus