- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Languedoc-Roussillon
The Languedoc is the bit of sun drenched southern France between the Rhone River, the Garonne River and the coast. You won't find poseurs on the beaches here. The coastline is varied, and while some of it is perfect for a beach resort break (there are plenty of blue flag beaches), some of it is pretty dramatic too. Now referred to as the Languedoc-Roussillon, this region of France has long been known for its down to earth nature, varied and beautiful landscape and complicated history - it's been owned by just about everyone. And some of the best places to stay in the Languedoc-Roussillon region reflect that.
Capital of the region, Montpellier is one of the best places to stay if you're looking for elegant boulevards and graceful architecture. Montpellier has made money and then spent it on looking lovely. The atmosphere is one of culture, tolerance and appreciation of the aesthetic.
Nîmes is not just a treasure trove of wonderfully preserved Roman buildings, though its magnificent Roman aqueduct is one of the region’s highlights and the 20,000 seat amphitheatre is so well preserved it was used as the main set for the film Gladiator, it's also close to both the Mediterranean and Provence.
Yachties and people-watchers will love Port Camargue - it's a thriving marina just to the east of Montpellier and boasts a vast beach. It's also perfect if you want to venture into the Camargue National Park.
Carcassonne is definitely the place to stay for fans of beautiful medieval architecture. Sitting like a proper fairytale castle atop a hill, this medieval castle-of-a-town has 53 turrets and ramparts and walls which have been strengthened - by adding width - several times. Carcassonne's last major building works took place in the 13th Century and it was only repaired and restored in the 19th. That's why it looks in reasonable repair. Surrounded by beautiful vineyards, this town attracts a lot of visitors in the summer and has a lot of festivals. The citadel provides a wonderful backdrop to every occasion, especially when all lit up in the evening.
Perpignan is a good choice for those who like the combination of beach and city. It's also ideally located for day trips to Spain.
Our Languedoc-Roussillon Collections:
- The Best Places to Stay in Montpellier
- The Best Places to Stay in Nîmes
- The Best Places to Stay in Carcassonne
- The Best Places to Stay in Perpignan
- The Best Places to Stay in Port Camargue
- The Best Places to Stay in Narbonne
What not to Miss
- Much of Montpellier's appeals can be experienced without an entrance fee - you just amble over to the main square, the Comedie, and grab a table. The square is lined by St. Peter's Cathedral and Europe's oldest medical school. When you're finished admiring one of France's most beautiful central squares move on to the Esplanade, Place Jean Jaures, or Place Canourgue and repeat. As well as beautiful buildings, Montpellier does green spaces with panache as well. It is home to France's oldest botanical gardens, just by the St-Pierre Cathedral.
- The Musee Fabre houses France's richest collection of European art. Some of the highlights include three paintings by Rubens, a striking collection by Jacques-Louis David and good pieces by Manet, Degas, Delacroix and Courbet.
- Nîmes has the Roman baths, temples and a 20,000 seat amphitheatre, plus the 1st Century aqueduct - or Pont du Gard - 12 miles out of town, all in excellent condition. The Maison Carré, a Roman temple dedicated to Emperor Augustus, is also in amazing condition considering it was built in the fourth or fifth century BC.
- Nîmes also has Les Halles, the central food market, which occupies the only modern structure along a charming 19th Century boulevard - you won't be disappointed by the life, colour and smells once you get inside.
- The medieval town of Carcassonne looks like one giant fairytale castle: its 53 towers, protected by tall, fortified walls, sit atop a hill, surrounded by gorgeous rows of grape vines. Carcassonne is very beautiful at night. Especially if you're here in the summer when it's inundated with festivals of all shapes and sizes. But if you're looking for the town's real magic then come out of season when you'll have the place a little more to yourself.
- Perpignan is a very walkable city, and some of the bits you’ll want to walk to include the Palais des Rois de Majorque - the Palace of the Kings of Mallorca, which is one of the largest buildings in the city, a great star shaped citadel offering views out to the coast. You may be interested in seeing the wonderfully Gothic Cathedral of St. Jean Baptiste. Then there’s a cluster of interesting architecture in the old town and the wonderful Musée de Préhistoire de Tautavel in the cave riddled hills just north of town which has a host of prehistoric treasures dating from around 450,000 years ago.
- Perpignan’s proximity with Spain lends a certain extra colour and a bit of extra interest to the already interesting cuisine. Plus Perpignan is really big on fiestas.
- The beaches around the Port Camargue area stretch as far as the eye can see with 18 kilometres of fine sand. Immediately landwards are large shallow ‘etangs’ or saline lakes which support a great diversity of wildlife including beautiful flamingoes - the largest population outside Africa.
- And of course you're on the doorstep of the Camargue National Park.
- Grau-du-Roi hosts a market three mornings a week - plus there is a daily fish market.
- Visit the Parc Zoologique Henri de Lunaret, with a range of exotic animals - the zoo promises to be great for all the family.
- And the Seaquarium is a must for children who can see a wide variety of sea creatures through transparent underwater tunnels.
The Hotel Guru's pick of the best places to stay in the Languedoc-Roussillon ranges from rustic farmhouse B&Bs to sophisticated luxury escapes. There truly is something for everyone whatever your taste or budget!
The Best Places to Stay in the Languedoc-Roussillon
- If you're looking for somewhere grand to stay the Boudon de Manuy is one of the best places to stay in the Languedoc-Roussillon. The ceilings in some of the eight rooms and suites are nothing short of palatial. All are different and while some have original 18th Century features, some are quite modern. Hire the entire property for a really special occasion.
- The Hotel du Palais, Montpellier is an unfussy hotel run by a friendly team and situated in an enviable location surrounded by local neighbourhood cafes, restaurants and small boutiques.
- Ideal for a city break, Hotel d'Aragon, Montpellier is a comfortable and peaceful Montpellier bolthole, a short walk from both the railway station and the historic centre. Ideal for visitors looking for a small and characterful hotel from which to explore the city.
- If you do want to stay right in the medieval heart of Carcassonne, then your best option is at 42 Rue Victor Hugo. The decor is lovely - all high ceilings, parquet floors and fancy fireplaces.
- The next best thing to staying within the walls must be staying beside the walls? If this wonderful view sounds appealing to you then one of the best places to stay in Carcassonne is the Hotel de Château. Surprisingly modern inside, the hotel's garden leads right up to the medieval ramparts, so you can enjoy the view from the comfort of the very modern pool and deck.
- The Château de Cavanac is one of the best places if you're using Carcassonne as a base to explore the whole region. This ivy covered château is a wonderfully rural retreat, with plenty of space for a pool and tennis courts. With rooms starting from less than £60 a night this is also a great choice for those on a budget.
- If you want to be central you can't beat Hotel La Maison de Sophie. Art Deco in style this townhouse B&B has furniture dating from the same period and large rooms full of character.
- The Jardins Secrets offers a little haven amid the busy centre. It's a gorgeous 18th century coaching inn with lovely bedrooms, outdoor pool and spa, yet just minutes from the city's highlights.
Perpignan and the Coast
- The Hotel Ile de la Lagune is a luxurious private island hotel in a lagoon not far from the Mediterranean. There are 24 rooms and suites, a choice of restaurants, pool, thalassotherapy spa and it’s surrounded by luscious tropical gardens. The decor is contemporary, think dark wood and white and pastel furnishings.
- If you're looking for a hideaway in the hills check out Le Tresor. There's plenty of outdoors type activities to keep you entertained, from tennis to sailing, with beaches and lakes a short drive away. With only five rooms and one villa, this is also probably one of the best places if you are travelling with a group of friends.
- If you fancy a château break, Château des Ducs de Joyeuse should tick all the boxes. With its round corner turrets it looks like something out of a children's book. Inside is just as lovely and old fashioned. There are four poster beds, high ceilings and open fireplaces.
- Ecuries de Sainte Croix is an intimate rustic stone farmhouse just outside Carcassonne. With only three rooms this is a tranquil hideaway.
- Mas de Boudan is a fabulous, Michelin-starred restaurant with four rooms attached. The stunning menu is proper ‘haute couture cuisine’ in an atmospheric converted farmhouse just 3kms outside Nîmes.
Best Country Châteaux
- If you're looking for luxury, try the Domain de Verchant. Set in hectares of vineyards, this is a spa resort and country-château-hotel type affair. it is the kind of place where you can have everything just to your liking - from traditional decor to super modern, private dining or spa experience to a separate self catering villa for your whole family.
- The Château de Cavanac is one of the best places to stay in the Languedoc-Roussillon if you're using Carcassonne as a base to explore the whole region. This ivy covered château is a wonderfully rural retreat, with plenty of space for a pool and tennis courts. With rooms starting from less than £60 a night this is also a great choice for those on a budget.
- Chateau Les Carrasses is a gorgeous 17th century castle plus wine estate now boasting luxury accommodation from suites to villas with private pools. Foodies won't be disappointed either with excellent gourmet dishes paired with superb local wines.
- The Domaine de Biar is a stunning country house located on the edge of Montpellier. Lovingly converted throughout, keeping its distinctly French feel, with contemporary architectural touches. Country-style gardens, roaming horses. A gorgeous pool quickly aids relaxation (as does the spa). Thoroughly spoiling.
- Le Spinaker is situated in the marina of Port Carmargue and has great views of all the craft moored there. Rooms are comfortable and tasteful. It's an ideal stop off for weary sailors or a base for exploring the surrounding area.
- If you're planning a romantic break the Hotel de la Cite will fit the bill nicely. Nestled into the ramparts of Carcassonne, this charming, ivy covered building has wonderfully traditional features which have been retained and sumptuously added to. With its Michelin star restaurant this is perfect for foodies.
For a Family Escape
- Chateau St Pierre de Serjac is a luxury family option. Set amid 200 acres including its own vines, the chateau offers 8 rooms and 35 self catering properties. Add to this a kids club, fine dining restaurant, spa and outdoor pool and you have something for everyone in your brood!
- Just out of Carcassonne’s Ville Basse, you'll find La Bastide Saint Martin. It's an understated country villa with just 15 rooms and set large grounds. So if you're travelling with a family who likes to spread out then this is certainly one to bear in mind.
- Located just 5 minutes from the Carcassonne city centre, the Château de Palaja, mixes traditional charm with contemporary style. With a laid-back feel this is an ideal spot for groups of friends and families.
- For an easy family holiday, try La Fauceille, a modern hotel just south of Perpignan with 35 contemporary rooms and suites and an excellent gym and spa. There’s also a great gourmet restaurant and a relaxed atmosphere.
- L'Enclos des Lauriers Roses is out of town, set amongst the vineyards and orchards of Provence, so it’s a great place for foodies. The surrounding space - and the family suites also make it ideal for families or larger groups.
Best Guesthouses and B&Bs
- The B&B Demeure Saint Louis is an 18th century guesthouse located just outside the medieval city of Carcassonne. Interiors are everything you want from a french property, chintz fabrics, sash windows and intricate antique furniture.
- Le Huit is a delightful guesthouse with just five rooms arranged around a swimming pool and mini-spa. The decor is contemporary meets original features, and the dining is table d’hote style featuring the best of today’s market.
- The Château de Cavanac is one of the best places to stay if you plan to explore the whole region. This ivy covered château is a wonderfully rural retreat, with plenty of space for a pool and tennis courts. With rooms starting from less than £60 a night this is also a great choice for those on a budget.
- L’Oustau Camarguen is a welcoming hotel with spacious rooms and contemporary design features. It's a great base for exploring the local region or you can relax by the pool. It's a family favourite, and excellent value with doubles from just €90 per night.
- Ecuries de Sainte Croix is an intimate rustic stone farmhouse just outside Carcassonne. With only three rooms this is a tranquil hideaway.
- The picture perfect sandstone country house, La Bastide Saint Martin, offers very reasonably priced rooms and a charmingly relaxed atmosphere.
- Marquis de la Baume is a charming, 17th century townhouse in Nîmes. With 34 elegant rooms and suites, the best with large French windows, and all with opulent fabrics. The interior has some wonderful original features and the exterior includes a charming, plant-filled courtyard. Romantic and affordable, with prices from around £75 per night.
For an Apartment, cottage or Villa
If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Montpellier–Méditerranée Airport is ten kilometres from Montpellier and has connections to the UK and the rest of Europe. Nîmes airport, or Nîmes–Alès–Camargue–Cévennes airport, is nine kilometres south of the city in the village of Saint-Gilles, and is served by Ryanair and Iberia - at the moment. Carcassonne Airport, which is three kilometres outside the centre of town, also has a few connections outside of France. The Languedoc-Roussillon is also extremely well connected to France and the rest of Europe by rail - high speed in many instances.
- If you want to hire a car - which we highly recommend if you’re staying in the Languedoc-Roussillon and want to see the best of the region - we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos.
- The most popular time to visit the Languedoc-Roussillon region is summer - especially July and August, when the beaches are packed and there are back-to-back festivals and ferias. Between April and June and September and October the weather is still good and the school and summer holiday crowds have dissipated, so if you’re looking for good value these are the best times to visit.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Languedoc-Roussillon
Château Les Carrasses 28 rooms from $189Route de Capestang, Languedoc-Roussillon
A 19th century castle with wine estate, lovingly turned into a luxurious stay. Accommodation ranges from suites to three bed villas with private pools. All decorated in a modern yet unmistakably French style. Très chic. The food and wine pairing is popular as is the Mediterranean Brasserie.Great walks - There are some great walks through the Languedoc countryside.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.Kayaking - Available locally.
Chateau St. Pierre de Serjac 93 rooms from $229Languedoc, Puissalicon, Languedoc-Roussillon
A magnificent Château with vineyard set amidst 200 acres of rolling countryside. Accommodation includes eight rooms, lovingly decorated in a classic French style and 36 self-catering properties. All achingly stylish. Fine dining restaurant, spa, indoor and outdoor pools. The list goes on!Exclusive offer - Wine & Spa breakGreat walks - Plenty of scenic walking routes leading directly from the property through the Languedoc countryside.Local markets - The property hosts farmer's markets for locals and guests to attend.Kids Club - Fully staffed.Cooking classes - Check for timings.
Hotel Ile de la Lagune 24 rooms from $208Perpignan
Luxury private island hotel right on the Mediterranean. Spacious rooms and suites, a choice of restaurants, private pool, thalasso spa and luscious tropical gardens. Accommodation is contemporary in style: dark wood floors contrast with white and pastel furnishings to create cool airy spaces.Spa - Thalasso Spa with nine treatment rooms and wonderful views over the lagoon.Views - Over the lagoon and the MediterraneanSailing - Sailing school on local beachSwimming Pool - Heated outdoor pool
Hotel Les Templiers 20 rooms from $112Collioure
Hotel Les Templiers is like walking into a eclectic art collectors private gallery. The art dominated bar and restaurant are bursting with character and style. Upstairs, the individually furnished rooms are elegant and comfortable. A seaside charmer.Value chic - A super cool hotel filled with original artworks and spectacular views of the castle and the harbour- at a reasonable price.Families - It's perfect for a family holiday, just two minutes from the beach and with excellent multi-person rooms.Sailing - The perfect pit stop for a sailing trip around the Catalan coastline.Sights nearby - Explore the characterful Catalan fishing village of Collioure.
Le Guilhaume d’Orange 10 rooms from $79Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert, Languedoc-Roussillon
Unspoilt and traditional French village hotel, with magnificent gorge views and simple, but delicious local cooking. Heaps to do in the area. A friendly off the beaten track base, ideal for exploring the surrounding countryside.Views - Great views from hotelTraditionalSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Great walks - Good for walkers.
Casa9 Hôtel 9 rooms from $149Perpignan
A sumptuous boutique hotel burrowed into the heart of the Languedoc-Roussillon countryside. The stylish and comfortable rooms are set in stunning stone buildings dating back to the 11th century. Luxuriate by the heavenly pool or take a stroll through the surrounding countryside. A Catalan charmer.Country Escape - Nestled into the beautiful Languedoc-Roussillon countryside, it's perfect for a catalan country getaway.Sights nearby - Explore the Canigou ('holy mountain') with the stunning Abbey of Saint Michel de Cuxa and magnificent Saint Martin du Canigou.Great walks - Explore the beautiful walking trails and paths through the surrounding Languedoc-Roussillon countryside.Romantic - Good for couples.
Le Trésor 5 rooms from $97Sonnac-sur-l'Hers, Languedoc-Roussillon
A hideaway in the hills of Languedoc. Striking sandstone French house with green shutters and understated modern interiors. Big bright rooms and one family cottage. Lots of outdoor activities in the surrounding hills, lakes, and beaches. Excellent value, perfect for groups or families.FamiliesValue chicSailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Sawdays
L'Hostalet 5 rooms from $94Argeles sur Mer
An excellent hotel right in the heart of Argelès-sur-Mer. The comfortable rooms are simply decorated and fixed with antique furniture. With the bustling streets of the town on the doorstep, it's perfect for exploring the seaside town. A great low-cost option for Argelès-sur-Mer.Local exploring - Right in the beating heart of historic Argelès-sur-Mer, facing the town square where a market is held twice a week.Local markets - Browse the bi-weekly market just outside the hotel's front door.Sights nearby - Take a day trip to Perpignan, less than ten miles away.Restrictions on children - Adults only.
Le Spinaker 21 rooms from $129Port Camargue (Le Grau-du-Roi)
Putting relaxation at the fore, Le Spinaker sits quietly on the Port Camargue marina. With beautiful views out over the marina and comfortable, tasteful rooms, it's a great place to stay whilst exploring the natural beauty of the Camargue. Perfect for people on sailing holidays coming into port.Local exploring - Explore the beautiful surrounding marshlands of the Camargue, on foot, two wheels or horseback.Sailing - With Port Camargue marina on the doorstep, it's the perfect place to stay after docking.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Views - Great views from hotel
Domaine de Capies 4 rooms from $69Pomy, Languedoc-Roussillon
This charming, rural British-owned farmhouse offers stylish self-contained accommodation. Ideal for families and small groups wanting a comfortable base from which to explore their environs. Open March to October.Great walks - Excellent walking routes in the surrounding wine country.Local markets - Explore the bustling local market of Pomy.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Domaine Saint Hilaire 4 rooms from $183Montagnac, Languedoc-Roussillon
Stunning hideaway for wine lovers. An ivy-covered French country house set amongst hectares of wine estate. Pristine white rooms, wine cellar, excellent food (by arrangement), lovely swimming pool. Utterly peaceful and romantic.Good wine list - Prize winning wines.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolFour poster beds - For romantics.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
Relais Royal 9 rooms from $227Mirepoix, Ariege
An elegant chateau in central Mirepoix - an ideal location for exploring the Languedoc and Cathar region and its castles. Not far from Carcasonne, Toulouse, Albi, and at the foot of the Pyrenees. Either a luxurious place to relax after exploring, or a weekend break with friends.Local exploring - At the foot of the Pyrenees in the Cathar regions, and an hour from Carcasonne.Country Escape - Located in the Languedoc and Cathar regions.Groups - A great place for a weekend house party.Elegant
Villa Mazarin 14 rooms from $124Aigues Mortes
An elegant hotel set in a charming 15th century building. Traditional rooms with all the mod-cons. Spa, indoor pool and excellent French restaurant. Just a short drive from the beach, and in a central location to walk the Medieval streets of the town. A wonderful weekend break for families.Historic - A lovely 15th century building.Sights nearby - Hours drive from Avignon, Arles, Orange, Nimes, Uzes, Montpelier or Aix-en-Provence.Restrictions on children - No children under age 6Local markets - Good for local colour.
Hotel du Palais, Montpellier 26 rooms from $128Montpellier
An unfussy hotel run by a friendly team and situated in an enviable location surrounded by local neighbourhood cafes, restaurants and small boutiques.Sights nearby - Hotel du Palais is ideally situated to see the medieval Mikvé baths, as well as the Saint Anne and Saint Pierre CathedralsGreat walks - Wander around Montpellier's old town and stop off for a break in a charming caféLocal markets - Check out the morning food market on Esplanade Charles de GaulleFull of character
Couvent d'Herepian 13 rooms from $159Hérépian, Languedoc-Roussillon
Designer-chic convent renovation surrounded by vineyards. Beautiful rooms and suites mimic the serenity to be found in the luxurious spa or from private terraces. Wine cellar, swimming pool, and plenty of outdoor activities. Relaxation in the rolling countryside.Good wine list - Exceptional cellar.WellbeingSpa breaksTotal relaxationRecommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith
Château Olmet 3 rooms from $114Languedoc-Roussillon
Chateau Olmet is situated in the quiet town Lodève, 30 miles from Montpellier. It offers unfussy accommodation and each room comes with its own coffee machine. There's an outdoor pool-perfect for a refreshing dip to escape the afternoon's heat. A peaceful and rejuvenating spot.Active Holiday - There are plenty of activities available nearby so you can make the most of your beautiful surroundingsCountry Escape - Forget about all your worries at this peaceful and tranquil rural spotKayaking - Head to Kayak Herault to organise an action-packed adventureRestrictions on children - Adult onlyRecommended by - I Escape
Hotel d'Aragon, Montpellier 12 rooms from $127Montpellier
A comfortable and peaceful Montpellier bolthole, a short walk from both the railway station and the historic centre. Ideal for visitors looking for a small and characterful hotel from which to explore the city.Sights nearby - Go see the medieval Mikvé, ancient Jewish baths, or visit Saint Anne and Saint Pierre CathedralsGreat walks - Wander around the old town and stop off for a break in a bustling caféFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
Baudon de Mauny 9 rooms from $160Montpellier
Artistic and historic in style, convenient in location and extremely comfortable, Baudon de Mauny – housed in an 18th century building – offers a luxurious and memorable experience.City StyleSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Sawdays, I Escape
La Bergerie du Cap 12 rooms from $100Agde
A classical hotel in a converted 18th century barn. Rooms are functional and clean with wooden floors and whitewashed walls. Outdoor pool and jacuzzi at your disposal and breakfast is served until midday. Beach just minutes away for sailing and swimming. A great choice for a family holiday.Full of character - A converted 18th century barn uses original materials for chic effect.Wildlife Area - 300m from international naturist centreFamiliesSights nearby - The town of Agde Pézenas City of Carcasssonne: The city of Sete Sete The cities of Beziers, Sete and Carcassonne
Hôtel Le Cottage 33 rooms from $91Argeles sur Mer
Located in the authentic, quiet catalan coastal town of Argeles-sur-Mer, Le Cottage boasts some beautiful sandy beaches only 5 minutes away. Rooms and suites with plenty of options for families. Excellent sps for relaxing and large outdoor pool. A charming base for a family holiday.Sights nearby - Enjoy a daytrip to Collioures just down the coast, or spend some time exploring PerpignanSpa - With hydrotherapy pool, range of facial and body treatments, and sensory showersDiving - Enjoy a diving trip in the Banyuls Marine reserveSwimming Pool - Large outdoor heated pool
42 Rue Victor Hugo 3 rooms from $166Carcassonne
Gorgeous B&B with three huge boutique apartments. High ceilings, richly painted walls, parquet floors, and fireplaces. A sumptuous spot with self-catering options and close to restaurants, markets, and the sights of Carcassonne.Cooking classes - Explore the markets and then cook your goodiesSights nearby - Located in the centre of the old townDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape
L'Oustau Camarguen 39 rooms from $103Port Camargue (Le Grau-du-Roi)
L'Oustau Camarguen is a welcoming hotel on the edge of the Camargue region. Its contemporary design focuses on spacious, comfortable rooms. Explore the rich culture of the Camargue area or simply unwind by the pool. Its affordability makes it great for families and groups. A great find.Active Holiday - From horse riding, sailing to walking the hotel will gladly help arrange a whole host of activitiesValue chic - Well priced accommodation makes this a popular optionSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorLocal markets - Explore the local markets and culture of the Camarge.
La Bastide Cabezac 12 rooms from $72Languedoc-Roussillon
A charming hotel between the plains of Narbonne and Minervois. Rooms are traditional with stone floors and cream drapes. Outdoor pool, gym, sunny terrace, and excellent Mediterranean cuisine. An authentic, quiet, and good value spot.Foodies - Nearby is L'Oublio, selling all things made from olives. Visit the Minervois vineyardsSights nearby - Cathar Chateaux, Homps Cathedral and Les Gorges de la CesseGreat walks - Along the Canal du MidiLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Domaine de Verchant 26 rooms from $352Montpellier (Castelnau le Lez)
Luxury spa hotel with superb vineyard views, creative Mediterranean cuisine and fun beach-style area, all just a short drive from Montpellier’s city centre.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Spa breaksSpa - With VIP suite for those wanting a completely private experienceSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Chateau de Riell 19 rooms from $263Languedoc-Roussillon
Chateau overlooking Mount Canigou. Room interiors are rustic chic with parquet floors, exposed brick work and large bathrooms. A baroque folly with outdoor pool, garden, spa, sauna and hot spring bath. Great Pyrenean menu in ambient dining room. Superb choice for spa weekend.Country Escape - Enjoy the peace of the gardens and rejuvination of the thermal spaRomantic BreakSwimming Pool - Rooftop pool and outdoor poolGreat walks - Hiking in the hills aroundRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Hotel Host et Vinum 16 rooms from $105Canet en Roussillon
Contemporary hotel close to the beach. Chic rooms have seaside touches, white wooden panelled walls and private balconies. Outdoor pool, large garden and spa facilities. Excellent restaurant and wine cellar with tastings not to be missed. Comfortable and peaceful.Foodies - Outstanding hotel restaurant and excellent range of wine tastings, excursions and learningLocal markets - Plenty of antique, food and 'flea' markets in nearby PerpignanGreat walks - Through the fruit gardens of the L'ArboretumSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Chateau de Gramazie 12 rooms from $76Gramazie, Languedoc-Roussillon
This tastefully converted chateau, once a 9th Century Abbey, has 12 elegant contemporary rooms, including 2 family suites. The restaurant serves good classic French cuisine made with quality local products and accompanied by the best wines of the region. A chic retreat after a day exploring.Sights nearby - Carcassonne and much more. It's in the heart of Cathar countryLocal markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Metairie Montplaisir 4 rooms from $190Conques sur Orbiel, Languedoc-Roussillon
A charming small property comprising of just five brightly decorated rooms. Dine on indulgent home cooked dishes served on the sun-drenched terrace. Spend time with the ever friendly owner or simply unwind by the pool. A small spa is the icing on the cake. Rural france at its best.Total relaxation - A small property with a wonderfully friendly owner where days can be lost in good food, wine and total rural tranquility.Sights nearby - Visit the striking medieval citadel of Carcassonne only 8km from the property.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.Full of characterRecommended by - I Escape
Meze Maison 4 rooms from $131Meze
A charming, small hotel in the picturesque port of Meze. The cosy, comfortable rooms exude a calm homely feel with their exposed beam ceilings and warm colour schemes. Ramble through the energetic seaside streets or take a day fishing trip out from the harbour. A classy, seaside hotel.Beach Life - Explore the beautiful coastline surrounding Meze, great for swimming, sailing, fishing and kayaking.Fishing - There are great fishing opportunities in L'étang de Thau lagoon, less than five minutes from the hotel.Sailing - Meze is home to one of France's most well known sailing schools, ask at the hotel about hiring boats.Local markets - Explore the local markets of Meze and pick up some regional treats.Recommended by - Sawdays
Le Mas Trilles 10 rooms from $109Céret, Languedoc-Roussillon
Lovely French farmhouse B&B in a secluded location. A charming sandstone building with large creamy bedrooms, terraces, gardens and a swimming pool. Within striking distance of surrounding mountains and the coast. Ideal for the great outdoors, families, or groups.Sights nearby - Ceret's Museum of Modern Art is a must seeSwimming Pool - Heated outdoor poolFull of characterLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays
Chateau des Ducs de Joyeuse 35 rooms from $109Couiza, Languedoc-Roussillon
Elegant chateau-castle with stunning grounds near the riverside, like something from The Lady of Shallot. Elegant high ceilinged rooms and suites with four poster beds and fireplaces. Perfect for groups, families and weddings.FamiliesSights nearby - Plenty of Cathar castles and much more to choose from.Swimming Pool - Heated outdoor poolFour poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Sawdays
Chateau de Palaja 12 rooms from $137Carcassonne (Palaja)
A beautiful white stone castle with a house party feel. Simple, modern rooms and suites with wooden beamed ceilings and white washed walls. Great restaurant, extensive gardens with a swimming pool, and a spa. A great choice for families or groups of friends.FamiliesSights nearby - Just five minutes from the centre of CarcassonneSwimming Pool - Outdoor PoolSpa
La Bastide Saint Martin 15 rooms from $97Carcassonne (Avenue de Saint-Martin)
A pretty sandstone country house with blue shutters. Rustic rooms and family suites with stone floors, wooden beds, and doors that lead into the garden. A luxurious swimming pool and sun deck for lounging. Ideal relaxation for families, groups, or couples.FamiliesSwimming Pool - 12x6 outdoor poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Riberach 18 rooms from $137Bélesta, Languedoc-Roussillon
A romantic hotel surrounded by vineyards. Contemporary rooms with views, big bathrooms and artistic touches. A gourmet restaurant, sleek bar, sunny terrace and outdoor pool with sun deck area. Surrounded by hillsides and stunning views. A great choice for a romantic break.Romantic Break - Set beneath the medieval Bélesta Castle, with wine tasting, balloon rides, vineyard walks and picnicsSights nearby - Short drive to historic city of Perpignan's sights and attractions, including the Cathar castlesCooking classes - In hotel restaurant kitchen, catered to your needsViews - Great views from hotel
Hotel de la Cite 61 rooms from $235Carcassonne
Utterly romantic, utterly unique. A hotel nestled in the ramparts of Carcassonne's citadel and surrounded by beautiful gardens. A fairytale building with turrets, exquisite bedrooms, a Michelin star restaurant, and a swimming pool. A special spot for anyone who can afford it.Outstanding location - Atop the medieval walls of Carcassonne.Foodies - Michelin star.Romantic BreakRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet
Chateau La Villatade 2 rooms from $109Languedoc, Languedoc-Roussillon
A serene countryside retreat just a short drive from Carcassonne. Charming bedrooms with authentic terracotta tiled floors and lime washed walls. Plus a peaceful garden with plunge pool for ultimate relaxation. Casual and laid back, on a stunning wine estate.Local exploring - A great base for exploring the best of Cathar country and the Minervois vineyardsSights nearby - The Medieval citadel of Carcasonne is just 20 mins by carGreat walks - Lovely countryside walksFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays, Fodors
Chateau de la caze 16 rooms from $240Lozère, Languedoc-Roussillon
Turreted 15th castle next to the river Tarn. Vaulted ceilings in the guestrooms are painted, and furnished with tapestries, stone walls and antique furniture. Spa, gym and outdoor pool, extensive grounds with views of the Tarn Gorges. Authentic French dining. Historic and stunning.Writing a novel - Furnished with tapestries and painted ceilings inside the turrets, find inspiration the historic local villages and vineyardsSights nearby - Explore some of the villages that are little changed since the 15th centuryKayaking - Hotel can arrange for trip from the groundsTraditional
L'Abbaye-Château de Camon 6 rooms from $16009500 Camon, Ariege
This Benedictine monastery dates back to the 10th century. Expect grand spacious interiors and comfortable rooms in an historical, romantic setting within a picturesque village in the Cathar region not far from Toulouse. Its superb cuisine is a particular highlight.Country Escape - A luxorious former abbey and 16th centruy palace where one can unwind in style in the cloistered gardens or exquisite salon.Foodies - Gourmands will be in heaven- the five course menu dégustation is not to be missed, nor is the extensive wine list.Sights nearby - Make sure to visit the medieval city of Mirepoix, just a ten minute drive down the road.Birdwatching - Bring your binoculars, this region plays host to many rare and exotic breeds of bird.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Hotel du Chateau 16 rooms from $217Carcassonne
Medieval exteriors and contemporary interiors at this chic hotel within the castle's ramparts. Rooms and suites with vaulted ceilings, exposed stone, and rich silk fabrics. Enjoy indulgent pampering from the spa, and relax on the terraces or by the swimming pool.Sights nearby - Located next to the chateau in central Carcassonne. Walking distance to all the major attractions in the city.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolSpaLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Hôtel de France 31 rooms from $109Mende, Languedoc-Roussillon
French country hotel with simple (predominantly white), pretty rooms that ooze class and style. Features include terracotta tiled floors and spacious bathrooms with rolltop baths & rain showers. Excellent restaurant too! A great base for exploring the Cevennes National Park & wider Languedoc region.Sights nearby - explore Cevennes National Park, visit the Gorges du Tarn in AubracLocal markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.Traditional
Le Relais des Chartreuses 14 rooms from $101Le Boulou
Beautiful 17th century French farmhouse renovation set in the hills above Le Boulou. Fantastic food, contemporary chic bedrooms and suites, swimming pool and luscious garden. Local exploring in style.Spa - Treatments available in the "Care House" in the gardens.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
Ecuries de sainte Croix 3 rooms from $86Carcassonne
A gorgeously rustic stone farmhouse B&B just outside Carcassonne. The perfect spot for a more relaxed holiday for families, groups of friends, or romantic getaways. Three simple rooms and two cottages. Very charming.Value chicGroupsFamiliesSights nearby - Just outside Carcassonne. Great base for discovering the region
Le Manoir d'Agnes 15 rooms from $117Tarascon-sur-Ariège, Ariege
A picturesque manor hotel with modern amenities in the mountains. With simple, stylish rooms and a great restaurant serving local delicacies, it's perfect for a holiday in the French Pyrenees. For those interested in natural history, the nearby prehistoric Niaux cave is unmissable.Active Holiday - With ski slopes within ten miles and great walking opportunities closeby, it's perfect for an active holiday.Sights nearby - Visit the mesmerising caves Niaux and Bedeilhac, both within three miles of the hotel.Great walks - Make the most of the beautiful walking trails in the surrounding mountains.
B&B Cosy 4 rooms from $114Agde (Languedoc-Roussillon)
Within an unpretentious townhouse in the laid-back little fishing port of Marseillan, visitors find a family welcome and rooms with individual flair.Local exploring - A chic boutique property makes a comfortable base for exploring the region.Sailing - Boats can be rented from the nearby harbour.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
La Fargo 12 rooms from $97Saint-Pierre-des-Champs, Languedoc-Roussillon
A rustic-chic farmhouse renovation in a peaceful orchard. Large simply decorated bedrooms with white washed walls and exposed stone. Huge swimming pool, terraces, rivers and orchards for strolling in. A relaxing rural retreat, great for families too.Swimming Pool - Large Outdoor PoolFull of characterLocal markets - Good for local colour.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Sawdays
La Fauceille 35 rooms from $103Perpignan
A modern hotel on the South coast just outside Perpignan. Contemporary rooms and suites, excellent spa and gym activities, and a gourmet restaurant. A great choice for a comfortable summer holiday.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Camellas-Lloret 5 rooms from $160Languedoc, Languedoc-Roussillon
Charming and stylish boutique B&B in picturesque Montreal, 20 minutes from Carcassonne. Five unique rooms exude rustic French charm and feature quirky art and marble fireplaces. Delicious homemade breakfast in the morning. Tranquil courtyard with swinging basket chairs and mint bushes.Sights nearby - Historic centre of Montreal, fortified city of CarcassonneLocal markets - In medieval towns of Limoux and Mirepoix 20 minutes awayGreat walks - Canal Du Midi 10 minute drive awayFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
Chateau de Cavanac 27 rooms from $78Carcassonne (Languedoc Roussillon)
Stunning ivy covered country house with an excellent restaurant. Bedrooms, suites and family rooms with four poster beds, fireplaces and tapestries. Beautiful grounds and terraces, swimming pool, billiards and a tennis court. Great for families, groups, and foodies. Excellent value.FamiliesFoodiesSights nearby - Ideal base for exploring CarcassonneSwimming Pool - Outdoor PoolRecommended by - Sawdays
Le Mimosa 5 rooms from 76Saint-Saturnin-de-Lucian, Languedoc-Roussillon
A quiet hotel set in the town centre. Lovely large rooms have stone floors, brick walls and views to the courtyard. Delightful evening meals served in the dining room. Terrace and surrounding vineyards to relax in. A charming and great value stay.Local exploring - Perfectly situated for exploring the sites, vineyards and natural delights of regionKayaking - At the Devil Bridge Gorges de l'HéraultSights nearby - Saint Guilhem, the Roman AbbeySailing - In Lake Salagou
La Tourette 3 rooms from $114Cucugnan, Languedoc-Roussillon
A colourful B&B hotel. Unique rooms are decorated in contemporary style with dashes of colour and modern bathrooms. Charming terrace with hot tub. Library area to relax in. Plethora of sights and trips in the nearby region. Quickly find yourself at home in this great value hotel.Local exploring - Abundance of fresh air activities nearby from hiking, riding, paragliding and cyclingSights nearby - Castle of PeyrepertuseGreat walks - Good for walkers.Quirky - An experience!
Domaine de Biar 5 rooms from $194Montpellier Ag
A stunning country house located on the edge of Montpellier. Lovingly converted throughout, keeping its distinctly French feel, with contemporary architectural touches. Country-style gardens, roaming horses and a gorgeous pool quickly aid relaxation (as does the spa). Thoroughly spoiling.Country Escape - A picture perfect country house complete with roaming horses, ideal for revelling in complete tranquility.Great walks - Lovely walks staring straight from the hotel grounds.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet
B&B Demeure Saint Louis 5 rooms from $149Carcassonne
A stunning 18th century guesthouse, just outside the medieval city of Carcassonne. The spacious and comfortable rooms are traditionally decorated and boast en suite bathrooms. Enjoy breakfast in the elegant dining room, or in the leafy garden- perfect for sitting out and enjoying the weather.Local exploring - Only a ten minute walk from the ancient walls of Carcassonne's medieval centre.Total relaxation - Enjoy the stunning garden or take a long walk around the ancient citadel.Full of characterTraditional