- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Poitou Charentes
About Poitou Charentes
All our Poitou-Charentes collections:
- The Best Places to Stay in Cognac
- Best places to stay in Poitiers
- The Best Places to Stay in La Rochelle
- The Best Places to Stay on the Île-de-Re
- Best Places to stay in the Ile d'Oleron
Poitou-Charentes is cognac country, a fertile region of central France, midway along the Atlantic Coast known for its patience with tradition, its beautiful rural scenes and its sandy beaches. If you haven’t heard of the region itself then its capital Poitiers, the seaside resort of La Rochelle, or Cognac, known for you know what, might be more familiar, all of which are among the best places to stay in Poitou-Charentes.
The other reason people love the Poitou-Charentes region is that it’s a fantastic place to escape to, so several of our Gurus recommendations for the best places to stay in Poitou-Charentes, are also excellent places to lose yourself in the beauty of the French countryside.
Cognac and the charming towns which surround it, make a great base for exploring the region. It’s packed full of historic sights, as well as tasting houses and wineries, and the narrow streets of its old town are littered with timber framed houses.
If you’re looking for somewhere glamorous to base yourself, try La Rochelle, on the Bay of Biscay, which has been around since Roman times and now boasts the largest marina for pleasure boats in Europe. Life here revolves around the ‘vieux port’ with its myriad of bars and restaurants and the arcaded streets of its old town with their architectural treasures dating from the medieval period to the ‘belle époque’.
Poitiers is the region’s capital, so great as a hub, and for its Romanesque churches and impressive architecture.
The Best Places to Stay in Poitou-Charentes will be very popular especially during the peak summer months, so do yourself a favour and book early!
- La Monnaie is an art and spa hotel offering an avant-garde experience in the heart of the La Rochelle. Every corner of the building is artfully staged and caters for all one’s requirements, and there’s a top notch spa providing massage treatments, chromotherapy, sauna and gym.
- The Château de Saint Loup sur Thouet is a 17th Century château set amongst fifty glorious hectares of grounds. There are just ten rooms, but it’s a wonderful adventure!
- The Château de Maumont is another wonderfully romantic château, this time with just five rooms and two hectares of fragrant gardens. There’s also a hot tub and massages available, so it’s a slightly more grown up option.
To get away from it all
- The Château de Nieuil was a favourite hunting lodge of Francois I, and has ten spacious rooms, all furnished with antiques. There’s also extensive gardens, a pool and a moat.
- Logis de L'Astree is a rustic, four bedroom B&B in a beautiful winery which dates back to the 15th Century. There are plenty of original features and a cosy lounge.
- Château de la Motte is a medieval castle with five elegant bedrooms and beautiful grounds. As well as the charm of staying in a castle with four poster and canopied beds and fantastic stone walls, there’s also an outdoor pool and lovely gardens.
- Château Saint Martial in Cognac is a 19th Century château right by the river, with a beautiful six acre garden and five characterful rooms filled with antiques.
- The Manoir de la Bouliniere is a 15th Century manor with just two guests rooms and table d’hôte dinners on request. As well as privacy, this B&B offers four poster beds, antiques, vast stone fireplaces and wood panelling.
For great value
- Château de la Tillade is a pretty château turned B&B with a fantastic collection of furniture and art and a breakfast room which was the traditional, and very grand, dining room. There are just five rooms which start from around £70 per night.
- La Chamoiserie in Niort is a re-furbished mansion with 16 elegant rooms and a lovely outdoor breakfast terrace and prices starting from around £70 per night.
- Logis de Bresdon in Cognac, is a delightful country house B&B with an excellent table d’hote and beautiful white rooms. It also has a whole house to rent onsite, which sleeps four and is very family friendly.
- Relais de la Mothe is a quaint village inn with a rustic restaurant, lovely courtyard, good food and a self-catering apartment which sleeps four. Rooms start from around £50 per night.
- The Château de l’Yeuse is an elegant family hotel just outside Cognac. The hotel has a gourmet restaurant which enjoys panoramic views of the river valley and surrounding countryside and a spa offering massage treatments, a hot tub, sauna and Turkish baths. Cognac Golf Club is 7km away.
- Villa Clarisse is a pretty country house close to the beach on the Île-de-Re. There are just nine light, modern rooms with French antiques and a nautical feel. There’s also an outdoor pool, gardens and a spa.
- Also on the Île-de-Re is Le Clos St Martin, which is a 33 room hotel totally geared up for your relaxation, with neutral tones, beautiful rooms, two heated pools, a Clarins spa and landscaped gardens.
For a beach break
- Le Richelieu is a sophisticated hotel with spectacular ocean views, a thalassotherapy spa and Michelin starred restaurant on the Île-de-Re, just off the coast from glamorous La Rochelle.
- La Baronnie is a magnificent 18th Century manor house on the Île-de-Re, off La Rochelle, surrounded by its own glorious gardens and 22 beautiful, light rooms with lovely antiques and all the mod. cons.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Poitou-Charentes for you?
Best Hotels in Poitou Charentes
Chateau de L'Yeuse 24 rooms from $86Cognac
An elegant hotel near the river Charente. Charming rooms feature opulent wallpapers, antique style furniture, and stunning views. Spa, sauna and outdoor pool. Gourmet French food, lovely bar area. Great value, family friendly.Families - With so many activities on the doorstep, it will be hard to find time to enjoy the hotel's pool and gardensSights nearby - Chateau de la RochefoucauldLocal markets - Good for local colour.Spa
Relais de la Mothe 20 rooms from $83Yzeures-sur-Creuse, Poitou Charentes
A rather quaint village inn with a rustic restaurant, courtyard garden and contemporary rooms. A great spot for foodies (there's a Michelin star restaurant a bike ride away) and families (there's a self-catering apartment that sleeps four.Foodies - Excellent restaurant, and a Michelin star restaurant up the road.Great walks - Maps and instructions on hand from the hotel.Local markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Sawdays
Maison la Porte Rouge 5 rooms from $102Niort
An excellent B&B in the picturesque riverside city of Niort. The stylish rooms are comfortable and spacious with modern interiors and cool pastel colour schemes. Browse the city's cultural sights or simply relax beside the outdoor pool. A great value option for Niort.Groups - The two upstairs studios are perfect for groups looking for a little more privacy and independence while staying in the B&B.Local exploring - Situated right in the heart of Niort, ideal for exploring the historic city on foot.Sights nearby - History buffs should check out The Donjon de Niort, a beautiful and fascinating medieval castle.Great walks - Take a day trip and go walking in the beautiful Poitevin marshes.
Logis de Bresdon 3 rooms from $109Cognac (Vinerville Bas)
A delightful country house B&B with an excellent table d'hotes. Beautiful white rooms and one house (sleeps 4) with french windows onto the lawn. Beautiful gardens, pool, and hot tub. A laid back and charming escape to the countryside. Adults only.Country Escape - The perfect place to relax in the countryside.Sights nearby - Cognac Blues Passion Festival first week of July.Restrictions on children - Adults onlyGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
Logis de L'Astree 4 rooms from $110Cognac
A rustic B&B located on a beautiful winery. The main building has history dating back to the 15th century. Bedrooms are cool with lofty ceilings and original stone features. There is a cosy lounge with authentic fireplace. Explore the nearby Coran Valley - bikes available at hotel.Local exploring - Saintes and Cognac are both within easy reach.Sights nearby - The archaeological site of Saint CésaireGreat walks - Lovely scenic walks from the hotelFishing - Fishing nearbyRecommended by - Sawdays
La Chamoiserie 16 rooms from $112Niort
A contemporary, re-furbished mansion that combines the refinement and elegance of a hotel with the warmth and cosy ambiance of a guesthouse. Guests can enjoy traditional breakfasts on the outdoor terrace and read a book in the garden shade. Traditional french townhouse.Sights nearby - Ideally situated in the centre of Niort. Visit Le Donjon de Niort
Chateau de la Motte 5 rooms from $114Usseau, Poitou Charentes
Authentic Medieval castle. Elegant bedrooms have four poster or canopied beds, fireplaces, stone walls and modern bathrooms. Outdoor pool, gardens and terrace. Tours of the castle and grounds. A charming and unusual stay.Writing a novel - Plenty of cozy nooks and eclectic lounges in which to relax, whilst learning the history of the castle and its ghostSights nearby - Chitre Mill and the Natural Sanctuary of PinailGreat walks - Good for walkers.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Sawdays
Chateau de la Tillade 5 rooms from $114Cognac (Gémozac)
B&B in pretty chateau. Interiors are unique, with princess beds, freestanding claw baths, small art works and parquet floors. Breakfast is served in traditional dining room. Very friendly hosts; good value.Country Escape - Take it easy in this pretty house with very friendly hosts, communal dining, bicycle trips and Congac tastingsSights nearby - Roman churches of SaintongeFull of characterGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
Chateau de Saint Loup sur Thouet 10 rooms from $131Deux Sèvres Poitou, Poitou Charentes
17th century chateau steeped in history and set in a glorious 50-hectare park. Elegant rooms, some feature four poster carved beds, wooden floors and fabulous garden views. "The Keep" will provide cosy adventure for families with a two bedroom suite evoking the atmosphere of the era. True escapism!Writing a novel - The place which inspired Perrault's Puss in Boots- with orangery, kitchen garden, authentic rooms and moatWeddings - An amazing wedding venueGreat walks - Take a guided tour of the Chateau's park and gardensSights nearby - Château de Oiron and Château de SaumurRecommended by - Sawdays
Chateau de Maumont 5 rooms from $143Poitou Charentes
Ivy-clad 16th century chateau. Interiors are full of rustic charm with four poster beds, parquet floors and contemporary bathrooms. Hot tub and massages available, two hectares of fragrant gardens and terrace. Peaceful, grown up and at good value.Country Escape - Set within 2 hectare garden, with hot tub and massage for your enjoyment, take a walk along the riverGreat walks - Walk along the "green path" (Coulée Verte)Sights nearby - The Rochefoucauld ChâteauFull of character
Chateau de Jalnay 5 rooms from $143Glénouze, Poitou Charentes
A charming B&B set in a secluded 17th century chateau. The place's heritage is in plain sight with elegant, traditional rooms decorated with antique furniture and period wall papers. Enjoy seasonal cooking and fine wines in the lovely restaurant.Country Escape - The perfect countryside chateau escape with beautiful surrounding parklands and vineyards.Sights nearby - Just twelve miles from the Fontevraud Abbey, well worth checking out.Full of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.
Chateau du Clos de la Ribaudiere 41 rooms from $159Chasseneuil-du-Poitou, Poitou Charentes
A beautifully renovated 18th century chateau on the banks of the River Clain. Large and spacious rooms with antique furnishings, exposed beams, rich fabrics and garden views. The gourmet restaurant serves traditional French cuisine, and the leafy garden boasts a pool. A grown up getaway.Romantic Break - Luxurious rooms with modern comforts, indulgent interiors, in room massages and a fine dining restaurant on site.Hideaway - Set within a large park on the banks of the River Clain, it's the ideal place to getaway from it all.Sights nearby - History buffs must visit the church of Notre-Dame-la-Grande, St Jean Baptistery and St. Pierre Cathedral.Swimming Pool - An outdoor pool for guests
Manoir de la Bouliniere 2 rooms from $160Usseau, Poitou Charentes
This grand 15th-century manor house has kept many original period features, including vast stone fireplaces, wood panelling and restored oak shutters. Four poster beds, antique furniture and exposed beams give a rustic feel. Table d'hote dinners on request. Beautiful historic chateau B&B.Sights nearby - There are oodles of chateaux and pretty towns and villages to exploreFull of characterFour poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Sawdays
Château de Nieuil 10 rooms from $166Nieuil, Charente
Stunning French chateau rumoured to be the first to open its rooms to guests (in 1937). The favoured hunting lodge of Francois I, the rooms are spacious, elegant & airy, each slightly different from the next and all furnished with antique pieces. Come to explore the moat, extensive gardens and pool.Sights nearby - Explore the Charente and neighbouring Limousin regions. Cognac, Angouleme & Confolens are all easily reachable.Swimming Pool - OutdoorLocal markets - Good for local colour.Views - Great views from hotel
Chateau Saint Martial 5 rooms from $170Cognac (16200 JARNAC)
Perched next to the Charente river sits this beautiful 19th Century Chateau with its equally beautiful 6 acre garden. The bedrooms retain their charming character and are filled with pretty pieces of antique furniture. Plenty of fabulous sites nearby including La Rochelle and Cognac distilleries.Artworks - There is a private collection of artworkSights nearby - Located 4.3 miles from the famous Abbaye de Bassac and enjoy the picturesque charm of La RochelleSpa - No spa but you can request swedish or californian massagesGreat walks - Lovely walks near Jarnac