- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
The Basque Country
Search the best hotels in The Basque Country
About The Basque Country
The coast from Bayonne and Biarritz, at the point where the long straight sandy beaches of the Landes transform into jagged rocks and cliffs as it speeds towards Spain and the Pyrenean countryside behind, is all Basque country. The region offers a mixture of mountains, dramatic Atlantic coastline and beautiful countryside and is a hugely rewarding holiday spot. The Hotel Guru's picks of the best places to stay in the Basque Country range from seaside hotels in St Jean de Luz and Biarritz to country escapes with Michelin star restaurants.
The distinctive traditional village architecture of the Basque country features whitewashed houses, often half-timbered with their shutters and woodwork painted the blood red or rich green (the Basque national colours). The small churches in basque villages often have balconies running around the inside, and many villages also have a fronton in the village centre for playing pelota. Ainhoa and Sare are both good options as bases for exploring inland.
Biarritz is the surfing capital of France, and the increasingly year-round presence of boarders on the beaches and in the cafes and shops has contributed to the town's transformation from a slightly frumpy retirement spot to a boho outpost of Paris which has become known as the California of France. We have found some of the best places to stay in the Basque Country in Biarritz, which reflect the town's new vibe. Guethary is another good option for surfers, bang in between Biarritz and St Jean de Luz, but not nearly as well known.
Just remember that if you're planning to visit in the peak summer months, the best places to stay in the Basque Country are likely to be very busy. So do yourself a favour and book well ahead.
- The Hotel de Silhouette has funky but functional modern bedrooms and unusually for Biarritz, a peaceful garden with sun loungers.
- Minutes from Biarritz, the smart Chateau de Clair de Lune sits in exquisite formal gardens. Bedrooms are in the turn of the Century Chateau or in the much more modern hunting lodge.
- The Edouard VII feels more like a guest house than a hotel, and is delightfully and immaculately French with historical piquancy added by creaky wooden floorboards and old mirrors.
- Maison Garnier is a charming property with just 7 rooms and is minutes from the beach. Ideal for those wanting beach by day and city by night.
More than anywhere else in France, the best places to stay in the Basque Country are still owned and run by families, generations of them.
- Arcé in St Etienne-de-Baigorry has seen five generations in charge;
- others such as Arraya in Sare, Chez Chilo in Barcus and Ithurria in Ainhoa have seen three.
This is always a good sign, and when you add the beautiful mountain scenery, the charm of these red and white and green and white Basque villages, the local preoccupations such as pelota and rugby and the superb culinary specialities, you have somewhere special to stay.
Michelin Starred Restaurants
Foodies will love this area and several of the best places to stay in the Basque Country have Michelin-starred dining.
- Ithurria in Ainhoa has simple bedrooms, a surperb outdoor pool and a bistro for table-d'hôte lunches as well as a five bed family apartment. Plus of course stunning Michelin starred dining!
- Briketenia is a chic restaurant with rooms owned by the Ibarboure family (gourmet royalty in these parts). The food is simply brilliant, the interiors sleek and contemporary, plus you're very close to wonderful sandy beaches.
- L'Auberge Basque is a family friendly gourmet option in a lovely rural location, just 7km from the beach.
- Another rural choice with Michelin starred dining is the Hotel Les Pyrenees in the charming village of St Jean Pied de Port. Rooms are contemporary in style and there's loads to do in the area to work off that fabulous food!
For the beach
Many of our pick of the best places to stay in the Basque country are near the beach, but these choices are as close as you can get....
- Villa L'Arche is right on the beach. Tumble out of bed, wander down the garden and you're there! Spacious rooms are contemporary in style and it's a great choice for families, with apartments as well as rooms and suites.
- Hotel du Palais is a luxury choice with direct access to Biarrtz's grand plage. It's a sumptuous stay with enormous spa, and excellent dining as well as being family friendly.
- Or what about La Reserve? From its clifftop location in St Jean de Luz, it enjoys stunning ocean views and it's just a quick stroll down to the sandy beach or in to town.
For a B&B
Whilst many of the best places to stay in the Basque country are hotels and restaurants with rooms, we've found plenty of B&Bs for those wanting something a little less formal.
- Maison Maxana is a boutique B&B in a pretty rural village - one of France's most beautiful in fact! It's a chic spot full of objets d'art and there's a contemporary art gallery on site.
- La Deviniere is a charming B&B in the heart of St Jean de Luz's old town. Rooms are filled with period objets and antiques, and it's a quick walk to the beach.
- Les Volets Bleus is a rural property, but not far from the coast. The vibe is laid back, the interiors rustic-chic, plus there's a lovely outdoor pool for lazy days.
- For a traditional basque farmhouse exterior with designer interiors, book a room at Argubel. Just five luxurious rooms guarantee an intimate feel, and you're just a short drive from the beach.
- Hotel Villa Catarie is situated in Guethary, so perfectly placed for access to the beach. Plus there's a lovely pool and sunny terrace for leisurely breakfasts.
For a rural retreat
- Jardins de Bakea is a charming option with glorious views. You're a stone's throw from the Spanish border so perfectly placed for exploring both French and Spanish Basque country.
- Chez Chilo is a lovely family friendly property on the Eastern edge of the region. Rooms are simple but stylish, there's a children's play area and the food is superb. After a day exploring, come back and chill by the pool.
- Arcé enjoys a beautiful riverside setting in a typical Basque village. It boasts stunning mountain views, large elegant bedrooms, an outdoor pool and excellent restaurant.
- Situated in the lovely village of Ainhoa, Relais du Silence Argii Eder offers traditional french country syle rooms, a gourmet restaurant and a pool and tennis court.
For great value for money
For those on a tight budget many of the best places to stay in the Basque Country are within reach. There's plenty to choose from, but these will whet your appetite!
- Hotel Laminak is perfect for a low key summer holiday. With just twelve rooms, lovely gardens with pool and an outdoor sauna, it's family friendly and excellent value with rooms from as llttie as €75 per night.
- For a restaurant with rooms in the charming village of Sare, book Olhabidea. Its five rooms are traditional in style, the food is excellent and prices start at just €85 per night including breakfast.
- La Maison Oppoca is a pretty 17th century coaching inn in historic Ainhoa. Rooms are contemporary in style complemented by original features and you'll find traditional Basque cuisine in the restaurant. Doubles from €89 per night.
- For a chateau stay that won't break the bank, book the Chateau d'Urtubie. Its rooms and suites are filled with antiques and artworks and you're surrounded by beautiful grounds with a pool. Doubles start from €85 per night.
- Ostapé is a luxury Pyrenean lodge with sweeping views over the surrounding countryside. Beautiful rooms are scattered in buildings throughout the grounds (you'll be given a golf buggy for getting around), plus there's an outdoor pool, spa, and wonderful food. Sheer bliss!
- Le Beaumanoir is a five star haven not far from the beach. Interiors are a clever combination of contemporary and classic, plus there's a superb restaurant, Dom Perignon bar and you'll be picked up from the aiport in the hotel's Rolls Royce!
- For a grand building overlooking the Bay of Biscay, the Hotel du Palais should suit. Interiors are opulent with silk drapes and chandeliers and there are impressive facilities including pampering spa and several dining options.
For a villa or apartment
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
- Biarritz Airport is the main gateway to France's Basque country, but it is also possible to fly to Pau on the East of the region.
- Weather-wise the best time to visit is the summer months from May to October with temperatures peaking in August around the mid twenties celcius.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner, Holiday Autos.
Still not sure which to book?
Best Hotels in The Basque Country
Chez Chilo 8 rooms from $80Barcus, The Basque Country
An adorable family hotel with fantastic rustic food, in a picturesque village. Fresh and simple bedrooms in pastels and whites and a lovely dining room, in which you'll be served the best local produce. A delightful garden, swimming pool and children's play area. The perfect hideaway.Hideaway - A French country getaway where you can trade the hustle and bustle for the laid back life of the mountains.Great walks - Grab a packed lunch from the hotel and set off to explore the plateaus, forests and grasslands.Sights nearby - The beautiful valleys of Aspe, Ossau and Barétous are nearby.Outstanding location - Tucked away in the Basque countryside
La Villa Hotel 10 rooms from $86Bayonne
An elegant white painted house a near the historic centre. Ten classic-contemporary bedrooms decorated in soft pastels. Breakfast on a lovely Italian-esque terrace overlooking secluded gardens. A tranquil spot on a hill above the Nive.Local exploring - Just a 15 minute walk into the historic town of Bayonne. Well positioned to explore the Basque country.Less £ - You can book this property for as little as €80 per night.Families - Family friendly rooms which can sleep up to four.Sights nearby - Visit the d Château Vieux castle in Bayonne.
Hotel Laminak 12 rooms from $86Biarritz, The Basque Country
A large country house/B&B set in beautiful gardens. Spacious, elegant rooms with private terraces onto the garden. Charming breakfast terrace, large swimming pool, and outdoor sauna. A great location for families and those on a budget.Local exploring - Ideally located for exploring the cities and beaches of the Basque regionValue chic - With rooms from as little as €75 per night, it's a stealLocal markets - There are lots of traidtional markets to visit in the surrounding towns and villagesSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolRecommended by - Sawdays
Edouard VII 18 rooms from $91Biarritz
Charming and oh-so-French address in the city centre. A 19th century mansion keeps its original interiors - wood panelling, wooden floors, and old mirrors - which compliment the rooms' elegant creams and whites. The breakfast terrace is the pièce de résistance. Relaxed and family-friendly.Families - Family rooms are available, with bunk beds for childrenCity Style - Charming residence, in the centre of BiatrritzLocal markets - Explore the local french markets both in Biarritz and further afield.Sights nearby - Visit the Rocher de la Vierge and the Eglise Sainte Eugenie
Jardins de Bakea 25 rooms from $95Biriatou, The Basque Country
A charming property with lovely views of the Basque Country. Pretty rooms, traditional in style, with chintz fabrics and sash windows. Contemporary, well appointed bathrooms. Gourmet regional cuisine, a stunning outdoor terrace for dining and a great wine list to boot. An ideal country getaway.Foodies - The gourmet restaurant is one of the best in the region and serves stunning, locally sourced, seasonal dishes.Country Escape - Situated in a pretty garden with lovely sweeping views and plenty of outdoor pursuits in the surrounding area.Value chic - An excellent value stayGreat walks - Lovely walks through the pretty Basque country.
Olhabidea 5 rooms from $97Sare
A restaurant with rooms that provides wonderful hospitality and food in a beautiful home. Five individually styled, traditional, rooms. Chintz fabrics, beamed ceilings and local art give a quaint feel. A delightful menu with much of the produce coming from the garden. A charming rural stay.Foodies - Mouthwatering, simple, regional cuisine using only the finest local ingrediants, most straight from the garden.Country Escape - A lovely rural property, cosy and quiet, at the foothills of the Pyrenees.Sights nearby - Visit the late-Romanesque church and wander the streets of Sare with it's quaint whitewashed houses.Great walks - Spend a day at the coast and find stunning rugged walks.
Chateau d'Urtubie 8 rooms from $97Saint-Jean-de-Luz, The Basque Country
Elegant family-run chateau. Sympathetically restored bedrooms and suites crammed with antiques and artworks, and seriously impressive public spaces. Beautiful grounds and lovely swimming pool. Within walking distance of a gourmet restaurant. Ideal for foodies, couples, and local explorers.Value chic - Beautifully restored rooms start from just €85 per night.Foodies - Michelin recommended gourmet restaurant very close by.Great walks - There's a good range for all abilities from walking the coastal paths to hiking in the nearby mountains.Local markets - Visit one of many traditional local markets in the surrounding towns and villages.Recommended by - Sawdays
La Maison Oppoca 10 rooms from $102Ainhoa
A pretty 17th century inn in the historic village of Ainhoa. Traditional rooms keep their charm with exposed stone walls and wooden beams yet have a fresh contemporary feel. Regional cuisine is served in the restaurant. Plenty of outdoor pursuits in the area. Inexpensive, ideal for a country break.Local exploring - Book a stay here and you're perfectly placed for exploring both rural towns and villages and the coast and beaches.Country Escape - A converted coaching lodge with a number of outdoor activities in the surrounding area.Great walks - Great hiking opportunities in the surrounding area and you may also see the Basque small wild horses, "pottocks".Sights nearby - Visit the pretty seaside town of Saint Jean de Luz.
Maison Maxana 5 rooms from $103La Bastide-Clairence, The Basque Country
A boutique B&B in an historic house. Chic rooms and suites have contemporary furnishings and all the mod cons. Works of art and objets d'art fill every corner, plus there's a large swimming pool and sun bathing area for relaxing, and lunch on request. A quiet base for local exploring.Country Escape - La Bastide Clairence has been described as one of France's most beautiful villages, perfect for a rural break.Local exploring - Beaches, countryside, villages, and monuments to explore.Views - Beautiful green countryside around.Sights nearby - Charming villages and historic abbeys, churches, and cathedrals to explore.
Briketenia Hotel 14 rooms from $109Guethary
A chic boutique restaurant with rooms owned by renowned restauranteurs the Ibarboure family. Undeniably brilliant cuisine. Trendy interiors with simple white-washed walls, exposed stonework and small balconies to take your gourmet breakfast on. Miles of sandy beaches nearby. French paradise.Foodies - Owned by the Ibarboure family who harbour generations of restaurantier experience and are littered with Michelin Stars.Surfing - Long swathes of sandy beaches with excellent surf conditions.Great walks - Miles of coastline to be explored.Romantic - Good for couples.
Arraya 20 rooms from $110Sare
Delightful, family-run hotel in the centre of lovely Sare. It combines the comfort of a modern hotel with the charm of a quintessentially Basque residence - wooden beams, colourful country fabrics, pretty objets d'art and quaint bed spreads. An excellent restaurant too. A charming country abode.Country Escape - A gorgeous property, set in one of France's prettiest villages, at the foothills of the Pyrénées.Sights nearby - Visit the storybook pretty hamlet of Ihalar.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.
Arcé 22 rooms from $114St-Etienne-de-Baigorry, The Basque Country
Magical riverside setting in a typical Basque village. Excellent restaurant serving rustic treats such as wood pigeon. Large elegant bedrooms with terraces and beautiful mountain views. Guests are invited to relax by the outdoor pool or the cosy hotel lounge. A peaceful country retreat.Foodies - The in-house restaurant dishes up delicious rustic treats.Country Escape - Located at the foot of the Ispéguy passRomantic - Beautiful location, perfect for a weekend awaySights nearby - A beautiful mountain range to be exploredRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Relais du Silence Argi Eder 26 rooms from $114Ainhoa
A gorgeous property set in a quaint village in the hills of the Basque Country. Traditional french-country rooms feature light wooden furniture and pretty fabrics. Lovely gardens equipped with a tennis court and pool. The gourmet regional cuisine is a treat. A charming rural abode.Foodies - Foodies will love the season and traditional cuisine served in the gourmet restaurant.Country Escape - Set in lovely gardens with a tennis court and swimming pool - the perfect country staySights nearby - Visit the Rock of the blessed Virgin that overlooks Biarritz Bay.Great walks - There are plenty of paths for all abilities close by
Maison Garnier 7 rooms from $120Biarritz
A refined sea side hotel within walking distance of Biarritz's beaches. Just 7 bedrooms with white washed walls and wooden floorboards, some with private balconies. Elegant and poised - an intimate hotel with plenty of style.Local exploring - Ideally located for getting the best from Biarritz and the surrounding Basque CountryBeach Life - Situated just three minutes walk from the beach.Restrictions on children - This is an adults only establishmentSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Sawdays
Hotel Villa Catarie 16 rooms from $125Guethary
A gorgeous townhouse hotel in Guethary. Romantic rustic-style rooms and suites filled with sumptuous fabrics and antiques. Beautiful garden, pool, and breakfast terrace. A stunning location for romantics who want to experience the surf, sand and restaurants around.Full of character - The property dates back to the 18th century and all the rooms are furnished with antiquesSights nearby - You're bang in between Biarritz and St Jean de Luz so there's plenty to see close byLocal markets - Explore the traditaional french market in Guethary and those further afieldSurfing - This coastline is renowned for its great surfingRecommended by - Sawdays
La Reserve, Saint-Jean-de-Luz 41 rooms from $131St Jean de Luz
Beautiful hotel with stunning vistas of the Atlantic ocean. Its contemporary rooms are light and spacious with balconies that boast views out to the sea. Have a game of tennis or amble down the coastal path to the charming town of St Jean de Luz. The perfect place for exploring the Basque coastline.Families - Tennis courts, gardens, children's menus and plenty of activities - plus dogs are allowedEco break - An eco friendly escapeGreat walks - Walk the coastal pathway which you can pick up right in front of the hotelViews - Its spectacular clifftop setting ensures great views out over the Atlantic
L'Auberge Basque 12 rooms from $136Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle, The Basque Country
A trendy rural abode in stunning scenery. A perfect merging of traditional design and simple Scandinavian style modernity. Rooms feature floor to ceiling windows, light wood, crisp white linens and contemporary art. Modern French Michelin starred dining. A chic country option.Active Holiday - Plenty of outdoor pursuits in the surrounding area to keep all entertained.Foodies - The Auberge boasts one Michelin star, a must stay for foodies in the area!Country Escape - Situated in a pretty rural location overlooking La Rhune Mountains.Families - Lovely family rooms with self-catering as an option.
La Devinière 6 rooms from $137St Jean de Luz
Utterly charming and individual B&B in the heart of the old town. An eclectic mix of decorations - china, rugs, objets d'art, paintings, and a wonderful library. Minutes from the beach. A really characterful spot.Beach Life - A gorgeous french house on a quiet pedestrian street leading to the main beach, in the heart of the old city.Full of character - La Deviniere oozes character and is filled with period objets and antiques plus a vast library to lose yourself in!Sights nearby - Located in St Jean de Luz's old townOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Recommended by - I Escape
Les Volets Bleus 5 rooms from $147Biarritz, The Basque Country
A laid back rural property not far from the coast. Chic rooms are modern with hints of the rustic; exposed beams and white washed furniture. Charming gardens to enjoy a game of boules, plus an outdoor pool. Excellent value, very relaxing, and plenty of coastal activities to get involved in.Country Escape - Although close to Biarritz, Basque mountain views, fragrant gardens and laid back atmosphere ensure a rural feel.Sights nearby - Spend a day in Spain between San Sébastian and Bilbao including a visit to the Blibao GuggenheimLocal markets - Explore the traiditional french markets in local towns and villagesSurfing - Over ten surf schools in the area
Arguibel 5 rooms from $149Guethary
A modern villa with a neo-Basque facade. High tech designer rooms focusing on rock'n roll, baroque, or stone spirits, all with private balconies. Walking distance to Michelin starred restaurants and beach sports galore. Ideal for foodies, surfers, and romancers.Beach Life - With swathes of golden sand just a short drive away this is a seriously chic spot for a beach holidayFoodies - The hotel is within walking distance of 2 michelin star restaurants.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Surfing - Suitable beaches nearby.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet
Hotel Les Pyrenees 18 rooms from $150Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, The Basque Country
A charming hotel in rural Basque country. Contemporary chic rooms and suites with all the mod cons, polished wooden floors, and elegant furnishings. Fabulous Michelin starred restaurant, pool, and lovely terraces. Excellently placed for local sightseeing.Local exploring - Ideally located for getting to know this charming region of FranceFoodies - Michelin starred restaurant showcasing inventive Basque cuisine.Sights nearby - Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port itself has many attractions which you can reach by foot.Swimming Pool - Large outdoor pool
Ithurria 28 rooms from $154Ainhoa
Charming renovated 17th century inn with Michelin-starred restaurant. A hotel with a rich heritage and an equally rich experience - delicious food, activities aplenty (tennis, swimming, golf), refreshingly simple rooms and family apartments. Foodies, families, fun in the sun.Total relaxation - A warm and welcoming hotel sItuated in tranquil countryside, with a sauna, pool, reading room and lovely gardens.Families - With some large apartments and plenty of activities for everyone to partake in, from table tennis to golf.Foodies - The food is simply stunning - the restaurant holds one Michelin starGreat walks - Take a stroll around one of the most beautiful villages in France, Ainhoa.Recommended by - Fodors
Château de Clair de Lune 17 rooms from $160Biarritz
Set in a large leafy estate stands a chateau, a hunting lodge and a villa - an ideal spot for foodies, families or groups touring the Basque country. A wonderful restaurant, beautiful period-inspired interiors and lovely garden. A really magnificent place to explore Biarritz.Private villas - There is a separate hunting lodge and a separate villa on the estateFamilies - Lots of space for children to roamCountry Escape - In a beautiful estateSights nearby - Just 4km from the centre of Biarritz
Villa L'Arche 8 rooms from $171Guethary (Bidart)
A charming hotel right on the beach. Contemporary rooms are large, with sea views and splashes of colour,and roomy apartments are ideal for families. Shady terrace to enjoy the views, and the garden directly links to the beach. Laid back, chic and sunny.Beach Life - You can hear the sea from rooms and coastal walks are just a stone's throw away. Unwind in the seaside-chic atmosphereSurfing - In nearby Biarritz, there are many surf schools for all abilitiesOn the beach - There's a path from the garden directly on to a soft sandy beachSights nearby - Close to the Spanish border, for the Bilbao Guggenhiem
Hotel de Silhouette 20 rooms from $189Biarritz
Airy and contemporary addition to Biarritz’s hotels. A beautiful sandstone building with funky modern rooms and a lovely garden. A charming place to stay, nestled in the town's streets, with great restaurants and a daily market place close by.City Style - A smart hotel in the lively Quartier des HallesBeach Life - Just 300m from the beachLocal markets - Daily market just a few steps awayLively - Close to local hot spots
Ostapé 22 rooms from $229Bidarray, The Basque Country
A Pyrenean lodge nestled in the hills with sweeping views over the valley. Giant suites with white washed walls and exposed beams. Swimming pool, spa, and fantastic Basque cuisine. A back to nature experience with comforts designed for romancers, foodies, and even families.Country Escape - The rooms are spread throughout both the main house and other properties, all with gorgeous viewsViews - View across the Nive valley from a 45 hectare estate.Outstanding location - In the rolling foothills of the Pyrenees.Cooking classes - Join one of the cookery classes and take home some Basque recipes of your own!Recommended by - I Escape, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels, Fodors
Le Beaumanoir 8 rooms from $262Biarritz
A luxurious Five Star hotel close to the beach. Contemporary rooms in Baroque style have large marble bathrooms. An outdoor pool, library and excellent bar. Superb regional cuisine and plenty of intimate spaces to relax in. Dramatic, romantic and understated.Honeymoons - 5* luxury awaits in this French hideaway; beaches a short walk away, beautiful pool, French cuisine and romantic roomsCooking classes - Many schools in Biarritz: Uhart Shop, La Table d'Aranda and Phillipe RestaurantGreat walks - Climb the 248 steps of the Lighthouse!Surfing - Over 10 surf schools in the area
Hotel Du Palais 154 rooms from $377Biarritz
A grand hotel overlooking the Bay of Biscay. Opulent interiors throughout with chandeliers and heavy draped curtains and frescoes. The rooms are standardly large and impressive. An indulgent spa and indoor and outdoor pool. Steps from the beach. Multiple fine-dining restaurants. A spoiling stay.Families - Family rooms and plenty of space for little ones to explore plus a lovely spa for adultsBeach Life - Just steps from Biarritz’s beach.Sights nearby - Just half an hour from the hotel is the fairytale like Abbadia Castle.Fishing - Sea fishing in the Bay of Biscay.