- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
Thessaloniki, Macedonia and Thrace
Search the best hotels in Thessaloniki, Macedonia and Thrace
About Thessaloniki, Macedonia and Thrace
All our collections in the region:
Macedonia in northern Greece is one of the country's largest regions, with fabulous beaches and oodles of history. Our selection of the best places to stay in Thessaloniki, Macedonia and Thrace offers something for everybody from the luxurious Danai Beach Resort & Villas with fully staffed kids club to the Alexandrou Inn, a traditional hotel in the hinterland of undiscovered Halkidiki.
Thessaloniki, Greece's second largest city, is a buzzy, lively place set by a huge natural harbour where you may spot migrating pelicans in spring and autumn. It is home to several world-class museums and art galleries, as well as a cornucopia of Roman relics and Byzantine churches.
There are heaps of bars, cafés and restaurants in the former dockland warehouses of the Ladadika district on the edge of the city centre, and Thessaloniki will definitely broaden your culinary horizons. There is a huge produce market that is great fun to wander through.
Thessaloniki's airport, located about 16km west of the city centre, is the gateway to the fine sandy beaches of the Kassandra and Sithonia peninsulas and – for devout pilgrims only – to the monasteries of Mount Athos, the easternmost of the three Halkidiki peninsulas.
You don't come to Halkidiki for pretty fishing harbours and 'authentic' villages (there aren't any); you come here for some of the best luxury hotels and sandy beaches in Greece. The old seaport town of Kavala is a base for exploring undiscovered eastern Macedonia and Thrace, and the sandy beaches of Thassos just a short ferry-hop away.
What Not To Miss
- If you're in Thessaloniki then be sure to check out the Church of Agios Dimitrios, the Archaeological Museum or the White Tower of Thessaloniki.
- If geographical features are more your thing then the Cave of Alistrati will be right up your alley. This mythical-esque spot is absolutely beautiful!
- East Macedonia and Thrace is home to a number of fascinating museums as well as the Filippi archaeological site, the historic Castle of Kavala and the lovely Dadia Forest.
If you're coming in the busy summer months then be sure to book ahead as the best places to stay in Thessaloniki, Macedonia and Thrace get quickly booked up.
Best places to stay in Thessaloniki
- For the best places to stay look no further than the Capsis Bristol a boutique retreat in a typical Ottoman building with the city's nightlife on the doorstep.
- Alternatively there's the Makedonia Palace, Thessaloniki's grandest offering with views as far as Mount Olympus.
- City Hotel, Thessaloniki is a crisp, contemporary spot offering accommodation at great value. Located in the centre of town, there's also a spa and a restaurant - the ideal city break.
- The Excelsior is a great spot from which to explore Thessaloniki. Their smart rooms feature creamy furnishings and light hues, whilst there's also a lovely French bistro and panoramic views from the rooftop garden.
Best places to stay in Kassandra and Sithonia
- On Kassandra we suggest you stay at the Petrino Suites, an oasis of calm in an unspoilt village.
- On Sithonia you might like to treat the family to the Ekies All Senses Resort, which offers a myriad of activities for all ages, designer rooms and a fabulous beach.
Best places to stay in Eastern Macedonia
- Our suggestions for places to stay in the eastern reaches of Macedonia include Skites, a pretty collection of bungalows and apartments that won't break the bank.
- And the Eagles Palace Hotel and Spa, with its sumptuous rooms and views to match.
Best Places to Stay in Halkidiki
- Set in a wonderfully restored traditional property, Alexandrou Inn offers charming accommodation featuring exposed brick walls. A tranquil stay.
- Danai Beach Resort & Villas is the ultimate coastal retreat - with elegant, chic and spacious suites, a range of eateries to choose from an extensive spa facilities. You can't go wrong with staying here!
Best Places to Stay in Kavala
- Imaret is a top choice for romantics and foodies situated in a stunning restored Ottoman mansion with Arabian Nights style luxury trappings and a gourmet restaurant.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- The weather's obviously nicest in the summer months, with the average daily temperature rising to 25°C in July and August.
- This however is peak tourist season so for a quieter and potentially cheaper alternative consider coming in May, September or October.
- International visitors can fly into Thessaloniki Airport, located 10 miles south of the city centre. From the airport, hop on a train/bus to the city centre or elsewhere in the region.
- Ryanair fly direct from Stansted to Thessaloniki and easyJet go from Gatwick.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse through our entire selection of the best places to stay in Thessaloniki, Macedonia and Thrace.
- Take a look at our collections in Rhodes or The Cyclades.
- Or feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Thessaloniki, Macedonia and Thrace
Makedonia Palace 284 rooms from $160Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Macedonia and Thrace
A luxury waterfront property with beautiful views of the Gulf and Mount Olympus. Modern rooms take advantage of the views from large windows or private balconies. The restaurant excels in seafood. Ideally situated near the city centre for both tourists a business people alike.Seaside - Situated on the waterfront, the hotel looks out across the Thermaikos GulfGreat walks - Walk along the seafront and stumble across some of the cities best sitesViews - Views stretch across the sea to the Pieria shoresSights nearby - Visit the Byzantine period Castle Thessaloniki
Capsis Bristol 20 rooms from $149Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Macedonia and Thrace
A Boutique retreat in the Ladadika district with bars, clubs and restaurants on its doorstep. A traditional ottoman era building, stylish cocooning interiors, and a great restaurant. Explore the city streets, or take a relaxing stroll along the scenic Grecian coastline.City Style - Established hotel in the heart of townTraditionalRecommended by - Fodors
Ekies All Senses Resort 69 rooms from $97Vourvourou, Halkidiki
Pretty resort hotel with designer rooms on a lovely sandy beach. Good restaurant, lots of activities, ideal for families. A popular haven.Swimming Pool - Soak up the sunshine by the pool and enjoy the adjoining bar.Romantic - Good for couples.SpaOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Recommended by - Tablet
Petrino Suites 33 rooms from $80Afytos, Halkidiki
Attractively designed oasis of calm in a uniquely unspoilt village, with excellent dining facilities. Apartment style rooms are situated around the pool, and lavish style gardens. The Beaches are close by, with Halkidiki's many beach bars a short drive form the hotel.Swimming Pool - Sit back and relax by the hotel pool and soak up the Greek sunshine.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Great walks - Good for walkers.Traditional
Skites 25 rooms from $97Ouranopolis, Halkidiki
Marvellous blend of simplicity and sophistication - small collection of pretty bungalow rooms and apartments with a pebbly beach, good food and a pool.Views - Great views from hotelTraditionalSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Recommended by - I Escape
Eagles Palace Hotel & Spa 165 rooms from $169Ouranopolis, Halkidiki
Full-service resort with its own beach, an abundance of activities and excellent seaside restaurants. Contemporary and luxurious rooms stay in keeping with traditional Greek colours, and provide lots of space. Suites and villas with private pools are also available for that added luxury.Kids Club - Thekids are sure to be entertained with their own pool and activities program. There is also a babysitting service on site.Spa - Take a break and feel refreshed and re-energised from one of the many spa therapies on offer.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Danai Beach Resort & Villas 60 rooms from $457Nikiti, Halkidiki
Romantic, pampered, barefoot elegance in this luxurious hideaway, with private pools and a sandy beach. Excellent food. Ideal for a honeymoon or romantic break.Foodies - You'll be spoilt for choice with four restaurants or for a more private meal, dining within your room, suite or villaSpa breaks - An extensive range of Holistic therapies and facilities, such as beach massages and an indoor poolKids Club - Fully staffed.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
Alexandrou Inn 12 rooms from $86Arnaia, Halkidiki
A traditional and beautifully restored traditional inn in the hinterland of undiscovered Halkidiki of rich farmland and wooded hills - good base for local exploring, full of character.Sights nearby - Being in the centre of the region it is a great place from which to explore.Full of characterGreat walks - Good for walkers.Traditional
Imaret 26 rooms from $297Kavala, Thessaloniki, Macedonia and Thrace
Beautifully restored Ottoman mansion hotel, an Arabian Nights fantasy with a water garden, lovely rooms full of character, and gourmet dining with views of the bay.Spa - A wide range of hamam, massages, baths and facials are on offer.Full of characterLocal markets - Good for local colour.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - I Escape, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
The Excelsior 34 rooms from $160Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Macedonia and Thrace
A beautiful hotel with gorgeous rooms and suites. Creamy interiors with lots of natural light and all the mod cons. Excellent French bistro, steps from the beach and historic landmarks. A great choice for sun seekers and honeymooners.Views - Panoramic views over the city from the roof gardenFoodies - Fantastic Bistro with French style cooking.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.HoneymoonsRecommended by - I Escape, CN Traveller, Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
City Hotel, Thessaloniki 125 rooms from $91Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Macedonia and Thrace
A crisp contemporary hotel with an excellent restaurant and spa. Modern rooms and suites in shades of white and green have all the mod cons, lots of natural light, and private balconies. A great choice for any traveller on a short stay, and great value.City StyleSights nearby - Located in the centre of Thessaloniki, easy walking distance from all major attractions.Local markets - Good for local colour.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet