- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Wine hotels in the Hunter Valley
The wide Hunter Valley lies to the north of Sydney and stretches down from the hills to the coastline around Newcastle and nearby Nelson Bay. Our choice of wine hotels in the Hunter Valley includes several with their own vineyard.
Hunter Valley is the most famous wine-producing region in New South Wales, a small state tucked in the south-eastern corner of Australia. It is where the Australian wine industry began in the early 19th century and, today, is most prized for its Chardonnay wines - particularly oaked varieties - and Semillon, although Shiraz is also well represented.
Wine Hotels in Hunter Valley
Amongst the vines
- Peppers Convent, a former nunnery, sits among the vines of The Pepper Tree Vinery and is a treat for foodies; its restaurant is considered one of the finest in Hunter Valley. Rooms are modern country-house and overlook the gardens or vineyards. Tennis, riding and occasional opera performances are also offered.
- Also set in its own vineyard, Spicer’s Vineyards Estate is a luxury option with 12 contemporary-chic rooms, some with wood-burning fires. The hotel also has a spa and outdoor pool.
- Tucked in the Kelman vineyards, Hunter Valley Cooperage is a charming B&B with just five, crisp, modern rooms - some with terraces - and very helpful owners who can help plan wine-tasting tours. There’s a tennis court on-site, plus horse-riding and cycling trips can be arranged.
For active types!
- If you want plenty of on-site activities, check out Chateau Elan, a modern, resort-style hotel with an 18-hole golf course, pool, gym, tennis courts and destination spa. Rooms are large and contemporary, all with balconies or terraces, and spa-baths.
Our choice of wine hotels in Hunter Valley means you can choose to go large and modern, or small and cosy. For a full list of our choice of the best wine hotels in Australia, click here, or else check out all our recommendations in New South Wales.
Spicers Vineyards Estate 12 rooms from $335Pokolbin, New South Wales
Located in the heart of the Hunter Valley set in an eight acre vineyard. This estate has 12 luxurious rooms, with ensuite spa and wood-burning fireplaces. Private spaces for relaxation or take advantage of the activities on offer. The restaurant focuses on seasonal dishes and award winning wines.Wine tasting - Wine Tours can be arrangedFull of character - Vineyard with Wine CallerRestrictions on children - No childrenViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Peppers Convent 17 rooms from $169New South Wales
This bright blue old nunnery-turned-hotel offers an indulgent stay in the heart of the Hunter Valley. Spacious rooms channel French baroque style mixed with Australian country hotel, and have stunning views out to the gardens and vineyard. Perfect for a romantic soujourn amid the vines.Wine tasting - Has its own winery - The Pepper Tree Winery, and it's a great base for exploring the Hunter Valley vineyardsSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.
Hunter Valley Cooperage B&B 5 rooms from $195Pokolbin, New South Wales
Nestled in the Kelman vineyards, this B&B is full of charm. The owners Gay and Warren have fantastic inside knowledge of the area. Rooms are comfortable with fantastic views of the vineyards. Enjoy sunny breakfasts and a relaxing stay. Perfect for exploring The Hunter Valley.Wine tasting - Pokolbin & Rothbury Wineries. The property is surrounded by Hunter Valley VineyardsRemote - Off the beaten track.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
Chateau Elan 100 rooms from $147New South Wales
Luxury resort boasting smart accommodation, 18 hole golf course & excellent spa in the heart of The Hunter Valley. Large rooms & suites are contemporary in style & feature all mod cons including spa baths & Nespresso machines as standard. Deliciously indulgent.Spa breaks - Destination spa complex with 20 spa suites for those who want privileged spa access.Golf - 18 hole Greg Norman designed course.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSpa