- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
The Best Hotels for Completely Getting Away From It All
Lots of people come to us looking for a recommendation for the best hotels for completely getting away from it all. But it’s actually a slightly tricky request because everyone’s idea of the ‘It All’ they’re trying to get away from is different. Do you want to escape other people and find a remote part of the world to explore? Or escape the pattern of your own life and try something new and different to inject a little inspiration? Or do you want to escape the pressures of modern life and simplify your priorities? Or a combination of the above and maybe a few other things besides?
So, we usually ask a few questions and then see what sort of escape you’re looking for and then start searching our recommendations, and asking our Gurus for more personal recommendations… And here are some of the recommendations for the best hotels for completely getting away from it all that they have come up with recently.
The Best Hotels for Completely Getting Away From It All
Getting Back to Nature
- The Instants d'Absolu Ecolodge & Spa was a farmhouse, but is now a chic ecolodge designed to help you allow nature to destress you. The views of a beautiful lake and glorious countryside in the Auvergne Natural Park help, but there are also no phones or televisions in the 12 contemporary, minimalist rooms and suites. The restaurant is a huge draw and there’s a beautiful spa with an outdoor hot tub overlooking the lake. Peaceful bliss.
- La Almunia del Valle is a fantastic, 11 room guesthouse in the hills just below the Sierra Nevada National Park. The traditional stone building has been beautifully modernised so that many of the original features survive. The views from the terrace and the pool are amazing.
- Easter Island’s Hare Noi is a nine room hotel a few miles outside the island’s only town. The fabric design is inspired by the art of the island’s first inhabitants, and there’s plenty of wood and stone to the decor, but it’s all been done in a very chic, almost mid-century style. There’s a spa and a restaurant, so this is a comfortable and relaxing escape.
- The Quirpon Lighthouse Inn, on Quirpon Island, Newfoundland, is a converted lighthouse keeper’s home with ten rooms and some of the most incredible views you could possibly imagine. The rooms are rustic and traditional and there’s a comfortable indoor whale-watching station. And obviously above you is the working lighthouse. A once in a lifetime place to stay.
- The Hacienda San Agustin de Callo is a charming, eight room hacienda sitting right in the shadow of the Cotopaxi Volcano, and on the edge of a national park. The hacienda has its own horses, which are a great way to explore this unique landscape. And inside there are fireplaces, traditional murals, exposed stone and individually styled rooms. Rustic yet luxurious.
- Scarista House on the Scottish island of Harris, one of the most remote and least hospitable parts of Britain, is an old Georgian manse turned charming, six bedroom hotel with fabulous views over this dramatic coastline. The rooms are cosy and the food is delicious - especially the seafood. An amazing place to escape the world, which has turned the inhospitable into the hospitable.
- In a remote spot in Rajasthan's Thar Desert you’ll find The Wilderness Camp, a collection of just seven luxurious tents, furnished in the Rajasthani style. Just because the accommodation is in tents it doesn’t mean you’ll need to rough it, there are large, comfortable beds and modern bathrooms, plus beautiful furnishings. But you’re really here for the beautiful desert and the incredible sunrises and sunsets. Truly unique and oh, so peaceful.
Escape in Style and Comfort
- The Grand Canyon is without doubt one of the world’s most stunning landscapes, and Amangiri, a 34 room resort and architectural marvel, is definitely the best place to stay to see it. Tucked into the rocks, this long stretch of building also houses several pools, private verandas, a spa, a restaurant serving American cuisine and a great wine bar.
- The Fogo Island Inn - on Fogo Island in Newfoundland - is a striking architectural masterpiece with incredible, floor-to-ceiling views over the Atlantic. There are stylish 29 rooms perched here on the edge of the world, and a wonderful restaurant serving inspired dishes made from locally sourced produce. An amazingly romantic place to escape to.
- The Clayoquot Wilderness Resort is a one-of-a-kind luxury resort in one of the most pristine places in North America, the Clayoquot Sound Biosphere Reserve in British Columbia. You can only get here by boat or seaplane, and for some reason they’ve chosen to decorate their 20 tents as a well to do Victorian family might have decorated their home. All the tents are comfortable, lavish and glamorous, including the lounge tent and the games tent - which has a billiards table and free-standing chess sets - and the dining tent where they serve food of a five star standard.
- Get away from it all to your own private island, the Isle of Eriska, just off the west coast of Scotland - in fact it’s connected to the west coast of Scotland by a narrow bridge. There are 25 cosy rooms in this castle-esque Scottish Baronial mansion, plus a Michelin starred restaurant, a nine hole golf course and a spa. Seals, otters and badgers are your closest neighbours.
Get Away From It All and Relax
- If you’re looking for a remote hideaway resort, then where could be a better spot than the foothills of the Himalayas? You’re having an experience without even leaving the resort. And that resort is the Infinity Corbett Wilderness, an oasis of riverside calm in a layout which mimics an English village, around a pool, sundeck and beautiful pagoda restaurant. There’s loads to do here, whoever you’re travelling with.
- Falsled Kro is a beautiful, thatched-roofed, old inn set amongst the superb scenery of Faaborg. There are 19 good sized rooms with peaceful views, plus a Michelin starred restaurant - Denmark’s first - which spills out into the garden when weather permits. And a garden which leads all the way down to its own sandy beach. The 19 good-sized rooms are white and minimalist.
- Surprising as this may seem, New South Wales’s Lord Howe Island Capella Lodge still doesn’t really have mobile reception. And you have to ask specially if you want an internet connection or a television. The point of staying here is to enjoy an old fashioned beach holiday, with communal dining for the guests staying in the nine sea or mountain-view suites, a beautiful spa and bikes to get around the island with.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best hotels for completely getting away from it all on our Guru’s list contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Best Hotels for Completely Getting Away From It All
Hare NOI 9 rooms from $327Easter Island
Hare NOI is located a few miles outside of Hanga Roa. The rooms are inspired by the style of the island's first inhabitants and the on site restaurant serves up wonderful international cuisine. Unwind with a trip to the spa or book yourself a massage! Lovely accommodation in a sublime location.Great walks - Go trekking to the top of Rano Kau volcano and walk around the perimeter to enjoy the incredible views!Fishing - Try your hand at using the ancestral form of fishing that the natives have used for centuriesSpa - offering a natural volcanic stone solariumSwimming Pool - Out door pool
Quirpon Lighthouse Inn 10 rooms from $261Quirpon Island
A 1922 lighthouse keeper’s home, situated on a remote island with stunning scenic views. The inn features ten traditional, rustic rooms at the base of the operating lighthouse. There is a comfortable indoor whale-watching station, guided kayak and walking tours. Perfect for nature enthusiasts.Back to Nature - Explore the icebergs, spot some whales and polar bear - this property is for getting back to nature.Kayaking - You can hire kayaks from the hotel and hopefully spot an orca or two whilst out on the waters.Views - You can see the whales and birds putting on quite the performance from the dining room.Birdwatching - The only place to see huge flocks of Great Blue Herons and much more.Recommended by - Fodors
Hacienda San Agustin de Callo 8 rooms from $395Cotopaxi
A charming Hacienda sitting beneath Cotopaxi volcano. Individually styled rooms are luxurious and packed full of character with fireplaces, warm hues, exposed stonework and the best feature murals. Keeping their own horses and with easy access to the national park this is a winning choice.Back to Nature - With views overlooking Cotopaxi and the national park just a short drive away find easy access to the great outdoors.Local markets - The hotel offers a number of excursions to local village markets.Full of characterViews - Great views from hotel
Fogo Island Inn 29 rooms from $1309Fogo Island
Striking architectural masterpiece overlooking the Atlantic - a seasonal landscape for a 365 hideaway haven. Floor-to-ceiling ocean views, wood burners and stylish chic interiors make a romantic and memorable stay. Homemade food makes up the locally sourced inspired cuisine. A stunning hideaway.Great walks - September and October see 20 types of edible berries ready to be foraged, making your walk that bit tastier.Back to Nature - Walking, fishing, whale watching, foraging, tarrying, hiking - there is a lot to be done.Hideaway - A hideaway like no other - crisp winter breaks or romantic activities on the water.Cooking classes - Cooking behind the scenes, with the chef, and learn about food and wine pairing.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Falsled Kro 19 rooms from $389Faaborg (Falsled)
The gourmet Lover’s Inn set in idyllic surroundings in Southern Fyn. Good size rooms with beautiful views of the Inn’s restaurant garden, leading down to its own sandy beaches. Minimalist rooms in creams and whites with terraces for the views. Michelin starred cuisine and beer brewed on site!Restaurant - Michelin starred cuisineOn the beach - Private beach at the bottom of the gardenSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Full of characterRecommended by - CN Traveller, Relais & Chateaux
La Almunia del Valle 11 rooms from $126Granada (Monachil)
Fantastic guesthouse in the hills of Sierra Nevada National Park. A traditional stone building with charming rooms that blend contemporary elements with stone floors, fireplaces, wooden beams and creamy furnishings. Fantastic views from terraces, pool, excellent food, and lots of activities around.Active HolidayViews - Great views from hotelSights nearby - The Alhambra in Granada is just 5 miles awaySwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Scarista House 6 rooms from $274Isle of Harris
Old Georgian manse on the Isle of Harris, now run as a charming hotel. Fabulous views over the stunning coastline. Rooms are cosy and comforting and the food is delicious: the freshest seafood imaginable. Perfect for a romantic escape away from it all.Views - Great views from hotelRemote - Off the beaten track.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
The Wilderness Camp 7 rooms from $215Rajasthan
Boasting a remote desert location, The Wilderness Camp consists of seven luxurious tents furnished in Rajasthani style. Features large beds, modern bathrooms and lovely rugs. Enjoy stunning sunrises, gorgeous sunsets and starry candlelit nights by the fire. A peaceful and truly unique spot!Birdwatching - The area is host to a wide variety of bird speciesGreat walks - Head off on walks around the local villageFull of characterQuirky - An experience!Recommended by - I Escape
Infinity Corbett Wilderness from $78Nainital
Relax in 22 acres of riverside calm, in the foothills of the famous Himalayas. The exterior mimics a English village and the rooms showcase high ceilings that mirror the great outdoors. Between the pool, the riverside sun deck and the pagoda you can feast on multi cuisines. A fantastic spot.Great walks - To the temples, waterfalls and along the Kosi River.Remote - On the outskirts of Jim Corbett National Park.Fishing - Take a ready-made picnic from the resort.Views - Rooms are either garden or river facing.
Clayoquot Wilderness Resort 20 rooms from $1156British Columbia
A remote glamping resort in the arrestingly beautiful Clayoquot Sound Biosphere Reserve. The Victorian style safari tents ooze opulence with Oriental rugs, antique fourposters and roaring wood stoves. The chefs prepare locally sourced mouthwatering food to a five star standard. Utter heaven!Fishing - There is a array of fly fishing, deep sea fishing and lake fishing available, be sure to inquire about seasonal changes.Back to Nature - Only accessible through seaplane or boat this is one of the most unspoiled areas in North America.Kayaking - Favourite ocean kayak excursions include whale, porpoise and bear watching in nearby Warren Bay.Sights nearby - Gentle 2km boardwalk trek to the seven natural geo-thermal pools of Hot Springs Cove.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Capella Lodge from $495New South Wales
Luxury, eco-friendly resort on Lord Howe Island. Sophisticated all suite accommodation with beach chic interiors and stunning views of ocean or mountains. Relax in the spa, or explore the breathtaking biodiversity of the island. Communal dining and friendly staff ensure an intimate experience.Views - All rooms have stunning views of either mountains or oceansRestrictions on children - Must be 6 or overSwimming Pool - Infinity edgeSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Fodors, Mr & Mrs Smith