- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
The Best Places to Stay on the Tuscan Coast
Tuscany is better known for its rolling hills and extraordinarily beautiful architecture, but its coastline, with its bright blue ocean, rocky cliffs and sprinkling of islands, is also an extremely beautiful place to visit. The Tuscan Coast shares the wonderful culinary traditions of the interior, but of course with more seafood, but the figs, grapes and tomatoes which typify this region are all present and correct here. Plus the architectural aesthetic has reached the coast as well, and you’re not far from some of the art people also travel to Tuscany to see. Though with the added bonus of Those Sea Views. Use our guide to the best hotels on the Tuscan Coast and start planning your holiday.
If you’re looking for a traditional sand and sea break then the best places to stay on the Tuscan Coast are to be found around Viareggio to the north, which is also where you’ll find plenty of sandy beaches. Around The Maremma it’s less beach-break-y and quieter, though these beaches, dune and nature reserves east of Pisa are also extremely beautiful. And a great option if you’re looking for the best places to stay on the Tuscan Coast for couples.
If you like a yachtie harbour and bright blue water marine-paradise then the best places to say on the Tuscan Coast are probably around Porto Santo Stefano and Port’Ercole. And of course the islands off Tuscany’s coast, including beautiful, peaceful Elba.
The Best Places to Stay on the Tuscan Coast
- Relais Vedetta is a six room boutique hotel overlooking, but just back from, the Tyrrhenian Sea. The individually decorated rooms are huge, with wooden floors, stone bathrooms and plenty of art. There’s an outdoor pool, rolling gardens and excellent locally sourced cuisine.
- Pardini’s Hermitage isn’t actually on the Tuscan Coast, it’s opposite it, on the Isola Del Giglio, but if you’re hunting for a Tuscan escape it’s hard to do better than a property you can only reach by boat. The water views are idyllic, as are the gardens which surround this 14 bedroom, 1950s villa. They have kayaks you can borrow, and offer painting, yoga, pottery and cooking classes.
The Most Romantic Places to Stay on the Tuscan Coast
- The Hotel Byron is a small, five star hotel on the coast just outside Forte dei Marmi. There are 29 elegant rooms and suites, a Michelin starred restaurant, spa facilities and beautiful grounds. This is a wonderful place to come to be looked after.
- Poggio al Santi is a wonderful Tuscan villa, just a few minutes from the coast, overlooking a lush valley. The 11 rooms and suites are simple, with parquet floors, huge beds and private patios, and they serve fantastic, locally sourced food and wine.
For a Beach Break
- The Principe Forte dei Marmi is a luxurious, 28 room beachfront hotel with a classical facade, private balconies and a contemporary interior. There’s also a full equipped spa and seafood (of course) restaurant.
- The Grand Hotel Principe di Piemonte might not look, or sound, like an obvious choice for a family holiday, but this rather splendid, 1920s built hotel on Viareggio’s seafront is in a great spot, right opposite a safe beach and beach club, and the 106 rooms vary in decor from elegant Deco to modern and comfortable. There are also two restaurants and a rooftop pool and spa.
- The Grand Hotel Imperiale might also seem like an unlikely candidate for a family beach break, but this glitzy resort has a fully staffed kid’s club, as well as 46 airy rooms and suites - many of them family friendly. There are also three restaurants, a wellness centre and a private beach.
The Best Value Places to Stay on the Tuscan Coast
- Technically the unspoiled island of Elba is off the Tuscan Coast not on it, but you might want to humour us with our exception when you see the Boutique Hotel Ilio, a 20 room, laid back, contemporary hotel on the northwest coast close to restaurants and dive centres. And with rooms which start from around £70 per night.
- Just behind the coast, in the Tuscan hills, Tenuta la Bandita is a large, period style property with 24 beautiful rooms and a huge garden - also home to goats and wild boar. The cuisine is traditional and the vineyards the wine is from are just a few kilometres away. As is the beach. Rooms start from around £85 per night.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best places to stay on the Tuscan Coast on our Guru’s list you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Tuscany,
- refine your search to the best places to stay on Elba,
- or the best places to stay in Forte dei Marmi,
- expand your search to consider all the best hotels in the Tuscan Countryside,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Best Places to Stay on the Tuscan Coast
Pardini’s Hermitage 14 rooms from $149Isola Del Giglio, Tuscany
Idyllic hideaway, only accessible by boat, overlooking crystal waters and beautiful gardens. A simple 1950s villa with stunning views and good value rooms. Delicious communal meals made from local produce. Enjoy the painting, yoga, pottery and cooking courses available in a serene setting.Hideaway - A real little hermitage. The perfect country escape from every day life.Kayaking - There are kayaks available for guests to explore the seas.Great walks - Along the beaches or go inland and explore the island.Sailing - Take a boat to the nearby island of Giannutri.
Relais Vedetta 6 rooms from $227Tuscany
A boutique hotel overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea. Huge bespoke rooms with wooden floors, artwork and stone bathrooms. Excellent organic Tuscan dishes, outdoor pool, and rolling gardens. Perfect for a weekend country escape in Tuscany.Country Escape - Pool with views, large gardens, trekking, cycling, hot springs at Saturnia and excellent foodSights nearby - Scarlino, Gulf of Follonica, Punta Ala, Piombino and Island of ElbaGreat walks - Walks from Vedetta to Scarlino, Gavorrano, Punta AlaViews - Maremma countryside and Tyrrhenian SeaRecommended by - Tablet, Sawdays
Grande Hotel Principe di Piemonte 106 rooms from $215Viareggio, Tuscany
Splendid, luxurious hotel built in the 1920s on Viareggio's sea front. Five floors each with five distinctive styles; choose from International, Deco, Colonial, Empire or Modern. Rooftop pool and spa. The smart Excelsior Beach Club is right opposite - a groomed sandy beach with all the facilitiesRestaurant - Two excellent restaurants with panaromic views of the Apuane Alps, the sea and the Viareggio promenadeSpa - Elegant spa, with everything from holistic treatments to personal trainersFamilies - An ideal location for families, children and grandparentsSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Principe Forte dei Marmi 28 rooms from $343Forte dei Marmi
Luxurious beach front hotel with its own private beach club. A classical facade, contemporary designer rooms and suites with private balconies, seafood restaurant, fully equipped spa. Perfect for a beach holiday with all the frills, family friendly too.Beach Life - Private beach club.Views - Great views from hotelFoodiesSpaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, CN Traveller
Grand Hotel Imperiale 46 rooms from $539Forte dei Marmi (Tuscany)
Five star luxury family friendly property in the glitzy resort of Forte dei Marmi on the Tuscan coast. Forty six sophisticated, airy rooms and suites some with balconies some with balconies looking out to sea. Three restaurants, wellness centre and private beach. Glamourous seaside luxuryFamilies - Fully staffed kids club on siteLocal markets - Visit the weekly Wednesday market for a designer bargain!Sights nearby - Minutes away from Forte dei Marmi fortressSpaRecommended by - Tablet
Hotel Byron, Forte dei Marmi 29 rooms from $272Forte dei Marmi
A Five Star hotel on the coastline just outside Forte dei Marmi. Romantic and elegant throughout rooms and suites. Michelin star restaurant, spa facilities, and beautiful grounds to enjoy candle lit dinners and sun bathing in the sun. A luxurious spot for a summer holiday in a fun area.Total relaxation - A beautiful setting, lovely rooms, good food, and easy access to the beach.Foodies - Four excellent restaurants, one of which has Michelin stars.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Beach LifeRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
Poggio ai santi 11 rooms from $187San Vincenzo Livorno, Tuscany
Wonderful Tuscan country villa with sweeping views over the valley below. Elegant and simple suites with parquet floors, huge beds, and private patios. Fantastic Italian food and wine sourced locally. A romantic and very gourmet country escape.FoodiesRomantic BreakRestrictions on children - No children under 12.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Boutique Hotel Ilio 20 rooms from $97Marciana, Elba
Laid back hotel on the north western corner of Elba. Twenty bedrooms are individually decorated, most with a contemporary style. Great choice of restaurants close by. Come here for total relaxation in an unspoilt region of Italy.Exclusive offer - Exclusive Offer Stay 5 pay 4Great walks - Range of trails straight from the door.Diving - Dive centre on the beachSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Views - Great views from hotel
Tenuta La Bandita 24 rooms from $113Tuscany
A charming 18th century villa in the Tuscan hills. Large, period style rooms are set across 3 buildings, each with bathrooms and views. 55-hectares of garden, with oak trees, wild boars and goats. Excellent Maremma traditional cuisine, short drive from the coast. A romantic choice for couples.Romantic Break - Wine tours of the Tuscan vineyards, beaches a few km away, sailing, swimming and dinner amongst the olive treesLocal exploring - Take the ferry to Elba or Sardinia, explore the Marina di Castagneto or the history of PiombinoSights nearby - Sassetta, Monteverdi, Maritime, SuveretoSpa - Nearby Terme di Sassetta