- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Best Hotels in the Lake District
The Lake District is the UK’s largest national park, but it looms large in the nation’s psyche as well as on its maps. Wordsworth waxed lyrical about it, but he’s certainly not the only one to think it’s the most sublime landscape in these isles. For centuries writers, artists and everyone who loves a good old walk in the great outdoors has dreamed of this place - there may be nowhere better to lose oneself in nature’s majesty and be inspired by it. At the Hotel Guru we believe everyone should have a choice of whether one wants to wander the Lake District lonely as a cloud or not. But privacy and serenity can be a difficult thing to negotiate, considering how popular the UK’s largest national park is with walkers, hillwalkers, sailors and anyone who enjoys an incredible view. But our Gurus are here to help, we know the best hotels in the Lake District whether you want to escape on your own, with your family or with a significant other, or if you want to be in the thick of things enjoying the liveliness bred by a lot of people being on holiday together. We have found gracious waterside houses in glorious grounds, as well as simple, remote inns, perfect for walkers, hip, fun and centrally located hotels, plus a few fresh and contemporary newcomers.
The Lake District offers one epic view after another, so the majority of our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in the Lake District have incredible views. Some of the older farmhouse conversions only have small windows, which is a shame, but these properties make up for it with charming features. Our Gurus have sourced great hotel restaurants, some wonderful walkers' paradises, luxurious grand dames as old as the hills but still offering impeccable service, and even a collection of properties with private hot tubs.
Windermere and Ambleside are two of the main centres for visitors,. Both are located on the shores of Windermere, and Bowness-on-Windermere is in the middle of it. Keswick is a popular centre in the northern lakes, it’s right on the shore of Derwent Water. There are also numerous smaller pretty villages and hamlets. Ullswater is a good base if you want to explore Gowbarrow Park and Aira Force - one of the region’s most impressive waterfalls. Coniston is where John Ruskin hails from, and Grasmere is wonderfully peaceful. And our Gurus have found some great properties outside of town for those of you looking for total escape.
Use our guide to the best hotels in the Lake District and start to plan your break now.
The Best Hotels in the Lake District
For a Special Occasion
- Linthwaite House Hotel is an Edwardian pile with fabulous views over Lake Windermere. It offers a stylish, yet relaxed vibe without skimping on the luxury. The loft suite is ideal for a romantic break; its enormous bath can easily take two and if star gazing is your thing, then the telescope positioned under the skylight window will do the trick! Perfect for walkers and fisher-folk.
- The Lodore Falls Hotel is an impressive county house with a gorgeous mountain backdrop and 71 charming rooms and suites. The decor is traditional and there’s an award-winning restaurant, and it’s all set on 40 acres of picturesque Lake District countryside. Think long walks and open fires.
- The Holbeck Ghyll Hotel is a 23 room former hunting lodge with classically styled rooms and spectacular views over Lake Windermere. Two of its suites, the Miss Potter and the Ghyll Side Cottage, have private hot tubs. And there’s a very nice spa and a Michelin starred restaurant. So prepare for a treat - and romance, if that’s what’s on your mind.
For a Room with a View
- Windermere’s The Samling Hotel is a charming, peaceful hotel set on a hill and offering spectacular views from all but one of its eleven rooms. Michelin starred chefs prepare the food and prepare it beautifully.
- New House Farm is a four hundred year old farmhouse in a remote part of the Lake District near Cockermouth. The panoramic views take in the Lakeland Fells and in the foreground are 15 acres of gardens. Inside there are just five rooms and some beautiful original features.
- Hillthwaite is a contemporary, 34 room hotel in a commanding, hilltop position with spectacular views of the Cumbrian countryside. You’re close to Windermere, but far enough away to feel like you’re escaping. There’s an indoor pool and spa if you need some pampering as well.
- Cedar Manor is a former vicar’s house with impressive views of Lake Windermere. There are just eight rooms - and sorry, no children allowed - some are modern, some ecclesiastical in theme and the coach-house bathroom is nothing short of palatial. Hearty gourmet meals are served which would do any vicar proud.
The Best Hotels in the Lake District for Walkers
For those of you who like to stretch your legs now and again whether to go for a short amble or for a more serious hill climb, there is no better location (a good source of info for walkers of all abilities is Walkopedia). The best hotels in the Lake District for walkers are not necessarily out in the middle of nowhere, though if you want to go straight from the door, it’s better to be slightly off the beaten track.
- The Howtown Hotel is a wonderfully old fashioned establishment situated 200 yards from Ullswater. With fantastic paths direct from the front door it is immensely popular with the walking fraternity. Accommodation is on a half board basis and a loud gong signals that your hearty dinner is ready.
- The Wasdale Head Inn is a famous climbing inn, and couldn’t be better situated at the foot of Scafell Pike. The bedrooms are simple but comfortable and all have magnificent views of Wasdale. The hearty pub fare is good, but the offerings in the wood-panelled dining room are better. Ritson’s bar is understandably busy in the evenings – everyone congregates here to exchange stories of days on the fells.
- The Pheasant Inn will also suit keen walkers. Located close to Bassenthwaite in the less touristy north Lakes area, it has Sale Fell on the doorstep and is only 10 minutes from the Skiddaw range. Bedrooms are tasteful yet essentially traditional and all have been enlarged and modernised over the past few years. You’ll also get great food here, and, if you can summon up the energy, there’s free access to a private local spa with swimming pool.
- Nanny Brow is a relaxed B&B just five minutes walk from Lake Windermere. The decor is wonderfully Arts & Crafts, which helps make it a memorable place to stay. Nanny Brow has 11 vast rooms with views up the Langdale Valley, and a bar and terrace.
- The Eltermere Inn is an elegant Georgian country house turned 12 room hotel. The decor is traditional: think high ceilings and roll top baths, and the restaurant offers a hearty, locally sourced menu.
The Most Romantic Hotels in the Lake District
- Randy Pike is a three room boutique hotel not far from the shores of Lake Windermere, but far enough to feel very private. Once a hunting lodge, this property has plenty of charm and character, plus superb views.
- Applegarth Villa is an adults-only boutique bolthole in Windermere with 22 designer bedrooms. Each of the seven suites has its own outdoor hot tub, plus sumptuous details. There’s a relaxed restaurant, plus a cocktail bar with a huge collection of whiskeys.
- The Windermere Suites are a collection of eight monochrome suites and eight chic rooms, in a design B&B in the heart of the Lake District. This is the perfect place if you like your decor modern and your scenery sweeping. They also have hot tubs…
The Best Country House Hotels in the Lake District
- The Forest Side is a Gothic mansion just outside Grasmere, with 20 chic rooms and suites decorated in pale hues. Which comes as a bit of a surprise when you also read that they’re dog-friendly. They have 43acres of superb gardens to support this offer, though. Plus stunning cuisine. Overwater Hall is a secluded country house hotel set in 18 acres of garden and woodland. There are 11 rooms - some with French windows and romantic, ballustraded terraces - and an award-winning restaurant.
- The Lodore Falls Hotel is an impressive county house with a gorgeous mountain backdrop and 71 charming rooms and suites. The decor is traditional and there’s an award-winning restaurant, and it’s all set on 40 acres of picturesque Lake District countryside. Think long walks and open fires.
The Most Luxurious Hotels in the Lake District
- The Gilpin Hotel & Lake House has been owned and run by the same family for over 21 years and has built a reputation for superb yet understated service. Bedrooms are luxurious and if you book a garden suite it comes with a private cedar wood hot tub. The food too is excellent – 3 AA Rosettes – and head chef Daniel Grigg uses the finest local produce and West Coast seafood on his menus.
The Best Hotels in the Lake District for Families
- Just three miles from Beatrix Potters home, Hill Top, the Windermere Boutique Hotel is a beautiful, Edwardian country house hotel by the shores of Windermere. There are 13 individually decorated rooms, delicious cuisine and space all around.
- The Ryebeck, in Bowness-on-Windermere, is a comfortable county house hotel in a peaceful spot overlooking Lake Windermere. Relaxed and informal, with 24 comfortable, unfussy rooms, you’re less than two miles from Beatrix Potter’s Hill Top. And there’s an excellent restaurant.
- Coniston’s The Waterhead Hotel is a stylish, lakeside bolthole with views across Windermere as well. There are 41 sleek, airy rooms, a lively bistro-style restaurant and you’re under 10kms from Beatrix Potter’s house. There’s loads to do here, but if you run out of ideas there’s also free access to a nearby leisure centre.
Best Hotels in the Lake District for Foodies
Planning a trip to the Lake District but fussy about what you eat? Our selection of the best hotels in the Lake District for foodies should solve that problem. Whilst the majority of our recommendations in the area have great restaurants or produce simple, yet hearty fare, we can suggest a couple of places where you can get something really special.
- Oak Bank is a 13 room, rather-unassuming-by-Lake-District-standards hotel in the pretty village of Grasmere. The atmosphere is cosy, but, most importantly, the restaurant is exemplary, serving top notch contemporary British fare.
- The Samling should satisfy even the pickiest of palates. Head chef Ian Swainson, is one of the most exciting young chefs around. And set amid sixty seven acres of beautiful grounds, The Samling is a great base for exploring the area's literary highlights – Wordsworth's and Beatrix Potter’s homes are both close at hand.
- L'Enclume is a must visit for any foodie - Simon Rogan's superb Michelin starred restaurant is renowned for its farm to table policy. There are sixteen smart rooms, which marry modern design with period features.
- Last but not least Sharrow Bay prides itself on the quality of its food and some claim that it’s the place where Sticky Toffee Pudding was invented. Situated on the shores of Lake Ullswater, what was once a fisherman’s lodge has been converted to a traditional yet stylish country house hotel.
The Best Pubs with Rooms in the Lake District
- The Queen’s Head is a traditional country in just outside Windermere. The atmosphere is smart but relaxed and the decor includes both original features and modern craftsmanship. There are 12 stylish bedrooms and the food is generously proportioned too.
- Overlooking the River Leven on the south shore of Lake Windermere, The Swan Hotel & Spa is a traditional, lakeland coaching inn with 58 colourful, contemporary rooms and a family-friendly feel. There are views. An indoor and outdoor pool, plus a spa, brasserie and bar.
The Lake District’s Best Escapes
- Another Place is a 20 room hotel with an incredible indoor infinity pool facing Ullswater. The rooms offer comfort and luxury and the restaurant is fantastic. They have a spa, and they’re surrounded by peace and walking routes.
- The Moss Grove Organic Hotel is ideally located in the heart of the lake district, surrounded by peaceful hills. It aims to be as environmentally sustainable as possible and offers guests 11 relaxed rooms and a Mediterranean style buffet restaurant.
- With views of Windermere, Lindeth Fell is a luxurious B&B with just 14 rooms. The decor is a mix of traditional British design and contemporary style - the bathrooms are especially chic. The breakfasts are indulgent and they also do an excellent afternoon tea.
- The Langdale Hotel & Spa is a collection of low-lying, traditional slate buildings dotted around a forested estate in the Langdale Valley. You’re close to Ambleside and Coniston, and some seriously serene walking routes. There’s also a spa with pools and saunas etc., and great food.
The Best Value Hotels in the Lake District
If you’re feeling a bit strapped for cash there is also plenty on offer, though some of the best hotels in the Lake District for those on a budget are definitely more desirable than others. Our selection aims to offer cheaper options, which have not sacrificed service or charm!
- The Punch Bowl Inn in the Lyth Valley is a quaint, 18th century inn in a pretty village. Each of the nine rooms has sweeping valley views and there’s an innovative chef running the restaurant. This is a wonderful spot for walkers, with the added pleasure of being able to come back to his and hers bathtubs and a candlelit supper.
- For around £100 per night you can stay in the charming Drunken Duck Inn, in the pretty village so Ambleside, nestled in amongst the Southern Lowland Fells. Built in the 18th century, this is one of the Lake District’s best known gastro pubs. The rooms are gardens look like a spread from ‘Country Living’ and the guests have access to facilities at the nearby Langdale Club.
- Broadoaks is a smart, country house hotel with 20 romantic rooms in a mix of traditional and contemporary styles - some have four-poster beds. You’re close to Windermere, there’s an award-winning restaurant, and rooms start from around £120 per night.
- Low Graythwaite Hall has a little corner of Lake Windermere all to itself, as well as nine lovely rooms and huge gardens. Rooms start from around £110 per night.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best hotels in the Lake District on our Guru’s list you could:
- Consult our recommendations for all the best places to stay in the Lake District,
- browse through our list of the most romantic hotels in the Lake District,
- or our Guru’s collection the best Pubs with rooms in the Lake District,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Best Hotels in the Lake District
Linthwaite House Hotel 30 rooms from £196Windermere, Cumbria
Slick, stylish designs meet an intimate Edwardian country house offering all round comfort. Award winning dishes and fine wines at the restaurant. From its hilltop location over Lake Windermere and the Fells - explore The Lake District on foot, bike or horseback. Serenity at its finest!Total relaxation - Pamper yourself with in-room beauty treatments and massages, refreshing walks and spoiling four course meals.Romantic Break - Take the stunning views, plush suites, two man tubs and candlelit dinners and you are guaranteed romance.Fishing - Try your hand at Fly fishing on the hotel's lake, a wonderfully peacefull way to spend an afternoon.Great walks - The hotel provides route-finding sheets of all the spectcular local walks, plus a guide if needed.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Kiwi Collection, Sawdays
Lodore Falls Hotel 71 rooms from £193Cumbria
An impressive country house boasting a gorgeous mountain backdrop. Charming rooms are traditional in style with warm hues and soft patterns. An award winning restaurant serves regional cuisine. Set within 40 acres of picturesque countryside it's the perfect spot for a rural escape.Country Escape - A country house set in an outstanding location. Take long walks, have a drink by the open fire and feast on regional cuisine.Great walks - The Lake District boasts stunning walking routes.Remote - Off the beaten track.Full of character
Holbeck Ghyll Hotel 23 rooms from £260Ambleside (Cumbria)
Luxurious former Hunting Lodge overlooking Lake Windermere makes for an intimate hideaway. Classically styled rooms offer comfort and views. Michelin starred food and an extensive wine list welcome you at the dining room. Whether enjoying the spa or exploring the grounds - relaxing is on the cards!Total relaxation - Unwind in Victorian English style with pampering suites overlooking Lake Windermere, spa services and impeccable service.Active Holiday - Walkers and ramblers bring your wellies and explore this stunning part of the country.Great walks - Ask at the front desk for an outline of the wonderful walks around the lake and beyond.Private Hot Tub - Miss Potter Suite and Ghyll Side cottage both feature a private hot tub.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Sawdays, Small Luxury Hotels
The Samling Hotel 11 rooms from £220Ambleside
A small luxury hotel boasting both chic interiors and fabulous views of Lake Windermere. Individually styled rooms are light and airy with bold colours, antiques and softly patterned fabrics. Offering exemplary cuisine and a choice selection of wines, this is a rural escape designed for indulging.Country Escape - A smart base offering access to arguably some of the UK's finest countryside.Active HolidayFoodiesSailing - Cruise across Lake Windermere and enjoy spectacular views.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
New House Farm 5 rooms from £180Cockermouth, Cumbria
400 year old farmhouse in remote part of Lake District. Stunning panoramic views of the Lakeland Fells, with 15 acre gardens to wander in. Traditional interiors, oak beams, open fire places - deep reds and dark wood furnishings. The beautiful Lorton valley makes it a popular wedding destination.Great walks - Fantastic rural walking routesTraditional - Historic farmhouseRemote - Off the beaten track.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Hillthwaite 34 rooms from £145Windermere (Windermere)
A contemporary rural property sat perched a-top a hill with far reaching views across the Cumbrian countryside. Smart rooms mix traditional patterns and colouring with contemporary style. An indoor pool and spa provide some serious pampering. A charming spot for a rural escape.Country Escape - Located in the stunning Lake District close to Lake Windermere. Ideal for spending days in the great outdoors.Great walks - Make the most of the miles of hiking trails through some of the UKs finest countryside.Sights nearby - Visit Blackwell house and admire the Arts and Crafts architecture.Sailing - Take a romantic cruise on Lake Windermere.
Cedar Manor 10 rooms from £145Windermere (Cumbria)
Country-house-style hotel with a contemporary feel and genuinely personal touch. Supremely comfortable bedrooms, a fine-dining restaurant and a classy but relaxed atmosphere.Fishing - From brown trout to salmon there is a huge variety to be caught in Cumbria's lakes and rivers for the DIY fish supper.Sights nearby - The Beatrix Potter House and Museum is a charming afternoon out.Restrictions on children - Children under 10 are not permitted at this hotel.Remote - Off the beaten track.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Howtown Hotel 13 rooms from £166nr Penrith, Cumbria
Wonderful old-fashioned, down-to-earth hotel in the Lake District. Popular with walkers and those seeking the peace and quiet provided by absense of TVs, wifi and phones. Good value with great views and hearty meals. Tranquil lakeside setting.Sights nearby - Visit the historic Dalemain House, with tudor and medieval rooms, behind a Georgian façade.Great walks - Fabulous base for walks around the Lake District.Views - Beautiful views over UllswaterTraditional - Old fashioned, no frillsRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Wasdale Head Inn 12 rooms from £59near Gosforth, Cumbria
Famous climbing inn at the head of Wasdale, spectacularly sited below Scafell Pike with magnificent views. Satisfy your stomach with hearty pub food or enjoy the finer things in the wood-panelled Dining Room. Rooms are simple but extremely comfortable and all boast breathtaking views.Great walks - Miles from anywhere, this Inn has some of the most unspoilt walking in England.Views - All bedrooms have stunning views of WasdaleClimbing - At the foot of England's highest mountainSights nearby - The Smallest Church in England, St Olaf's at Wasdale Head.
The Pheasant Inn, Cumbria 15 rooms from £140Cockermouth, Cumbria
An old, remote coaching inn, with fine dining and bistro. Friendly and welcoming with well kept gardens and a cosy lounge with fireplace. Enjoy country walks and fishing in the nearby Lake Bassenthwaite. A country retreat with access to local spa and pool.Foodies - Enjoy locally sourced produce at this acclaimed casual Bistro- think wholesome food, fine wines and craft ales.Country Escape - Make the most of your surroundings at this charming coaching inn just meters from the Bassenthwaite Lake.Sights nearby - Head to Dalemain House and Gardens and explore the historic house and it's beautiful gardens.Great walks - Sale Fell is on your doorstep, and for the more adventurous Skiddaw range 10 mins away.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Nanny Brow 11 rooms from £130Ambleside
Set in peaceful grounds though only five minutes from Lake Windermere, this elegant, Arts and Crafts B&B is full of period details and furnishings. Bedrooms are vast and with lofty views up Langdale Valley. There’s a bar and terrace, too.Great walks - Fantastic for walkers - Miles of great walks over Loughrigg FellViews - Beautiful views stretching for five miles of the Brathay ValleySights nearby - Visit Dove Cottage and the Wordsworth MuseumBack to NatureRecommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
Eltermere Inn 12 rooms from £149Cumbria
Relaxed and luxurious, country-house-style hotel with an elegant, contemporary style. On the edge of pretty Elterwater village, with views over the lake, it’s ideally placed for both walking in Langdale or Ambleside’s shops and Windermere lakeshore. Complimentary entry to Lansdale Spa.Great walks - The Langdales are great for walkers - book a day with Mike Wood, the hotel's recommended guideSights nearby - The Wordsworth Museum, Beatrix Potter's house, Ruskin's house are all close byHideaway - Get away from it all in this beautiful Lakelands innSpa - Guests have complimentary access to Langdale SpaRecommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
Randy Pike 3 rooms from £200Cumbria
Randy Pike is a superb boutique hotel not far from the shores of Lake Windermere, a wash with charm and character. A former hunting lodge, the aesthetic is stylish and urbane with modern design features and carefully selected furnishings. Perfect for a relaxing romantic break in the countryside.Romantic Break - A romantic and intimate setting with deluxe suites, home-made cookies, roll top baths and superb views of the woods.Country Escape - This quaint and cosy hotel makes for the perfect country escape to the Lake District.Great walks - Make the most of the beautiful walking in the surrounding Cumbrian countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the home of Windermere's most famous resident, Beatrix Potter.
Applegarth Villa 22 rooms from £140Windermere (Cumbria)
Adults-only, boutique bolthole with high-quality, designer bedrooms, including sumptuous suites with private hot-tubs. Family-run with a relaxed atmosphere and bistro-style restaurant and bar with an expansive collection of whiskeys. A real, spoiling treat in a great location.Romantic Break - Adults only hotel with a cocktail bar, huge rooms and private hot tubsSights nearby - Beatrix Potter and Wordsworth's houses are a short drive awayPrivate Hot Tub - All the seven suites have their own private outdoor hot tub.Sailing - A sailing trip along the iconic Lake Windemere
L'Enclume 16 rooms from £129Cumbria
Michelin-starred, restaurant-with-rooms with a low-key, relaxed style in a pretty village setting. Creative, locally sourced food and simple but smart rooms that together add up to a wonderfully refreshing and easy-going atmosphere. Cosy suites are the perfect retreat after a slap up meal.Foodies - Fans of haute cuisine will rave about the Michelan starred restaurantGreat walks - Across the village to Cartmel's medieval priorySights nearby - Have a flutter at nearby Cartmel racecourseRomantic - Good for couples.
The Windermere Suites 16 rooms from £180Windermere, Cumbria
Designer B&B with eight lavish and sexy monochrome suites including sultry accents and highlights of silver and uber-modern lights. Bathrooms have TVs and mood lighting - plus it’s always breakfast. Located in the heart of the Lake District it is a chic little retreat amidst traditional surrounds.Romantic Break - Large suites with private hot tubs are made for romanceSights nearby - William Wordsworth’s homes at Dove Cottage and Beatrix Potter's House are close bySailing - Lake cruises on WindermereSwimming Pool - Indoor PoolRecommended by - Johansens
Overwater Hall 11 rooms from £150Ireby, Cumbria
Secluded country house in 18 acres of gardens and woodland. French windows, ballustraded terraces, views. Spacious comfortable rooms, award winning restaurant.Restrictions on children - No children under 5 allowed in the restaurantViews - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.Remote - Off the beaten track.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Forest Side 20 rooms from £199Grasmere (Keswick Road)
Recently renovated, The Forest Side is a romantic gothic mansion just outside Grasmere in the heart of the Lake District. Offering chic and spacious accommodation with plenty of light hues, this dog-friendly spot boasts 43 acres of superb gardens and stunning cuisine. A top-notch country retreat!Great walks - The Lake District is home to many breathtaking hiking trailsSailing - Hire a rowing boat on nearby GrasmereRemote - Off the beaten track.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The Ryebeck 24 rooms from £150Bowness-on-Windermere, Cumbria
A comfortable country-house hotel in a peaceful setting, with beautiful views of Lake Windermere, yet still close to popular attractions. Relaxed and informal, with comfortable, unfussy bedrooms, it has an excellent restaurant turning out well-crafted Modern British dishes.Great walks - Superb walking either low-level or higher fells such as Langdale Pikes.Sights nearby - Visit Beatrix Potter’s house less than two miles from the hotel.Views - Great views from hotel
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House 31 rooms from £215Windermere, Cumbria
Immaculate, country house hotel, with luxurious bedrooms and private suites, plus a Michelin starred restaurant. A separate Lake House with suites, pool, spa and rooms with private Hot Tubs. Set in 40 acres of stunning surroundings with a picturesque lake and lots of activities to offer nearby.Foodies - Chef Hrishikesh Desai knocks it out of the park everytime, he crafts exciting menus using locally sourced wonderful ingrediants.Romantic Break - Six of the incredible suites come with their own private gardens and cedarwood hot tubs, ideal for a romantic getaway!Country Escape - 20-acre gardens filled with magnolia, cherry blossoms and copper beech, not to mention the stunnig private lake.Fishing - Fishing can be organised on site, either on the private lake or a day trip to somewhere nearby.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Relais & Chateaux, Sawdays, Michelin Travel
Windermere Boutique Hotel 13 rooms from £220Windermere, Cumbria
A beautiful Edwardian house hotel, near the shores of Lake Windermere. The individually decorated rooms are comfortable and spacious. Downstairs one can enjoy delicious food in the intimate dining room. In the heart for Beatrix Potter country, this is definitely one for the Peter Rabbit lovers.Active Holiday - Lake Windermere is perfect for watersports, and the surrounding parklands provide top notch walking and cycling options.Local exploring - Explore the rolling beauty of the Lake District, surrounding National Parkland and Beatrix Potter country.Sights nearby - Visit Beatrix Potter's Home- Hill Top, less than three miles from the hotel.Great walks - Beautiful walking routes around the shores of Lake Windermere.
The Waterhead Hotel 41 rooms from £165Coniston, Cumbria
A stylish bolthole amongst the rugged scenery of the Lake District, with views of Windermere lake. With sleek and airy rooms, a lively bistro-style restaurant and free access to a nearby leisure centre, it’s a place to relax and recharge. There is a jazzy bistro restaurant and good wine selection.Country Escape - Lakeside property with ringside view of Windemere and the beauty of CumbriaSights nearby - Both Wordsworth's and Beatrix Potter's former houses are under 10kmsSailing - Take a boat out on the famous Lake WindemereGreat walks - Up 'The Old Man of Coniston'
Sharrow Bay 24 rooms from £200Penrith, Cumbria
Stately hotel on shores of Lake Ullswater. Forests, hillsides, views. Luxury bedrooms, classical decor - the original Lakeland country house hotelRemote - Off the beaten track.TraditionalGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel
Oak Bank 13 rooms from £133Cumbria
Boasting a fantastic location in the pretty village of Grasmere situated in the heart of the Lake District. Cosy rooms are individually styled with warm hues, sash windows and sink-into beds. The exemplary restaurant serving contemporary British fare is an inviting spot to return to.Country Escape - Located in some of the UK's finest countryside and boasting a superb restaurant and friendly staff to return to.Sights nearby - Visit William Wordsworth's grave, the daffodil field he wrote of and his former home.Restrictions on children - Children under 10 cannot be accommodated.Full of characterRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
The Queen's Head 10 rooms from £137Cumbria
The Queen's Head is a traditional country inn with a smart but relaxed, contemporary style, close to Windermere but away from the crowds. Original features and modern craftsmanship create a bright and welcoming atmosphere plus stylish bedrooms and generous food.Sailing - There are plenty of companies who will take you out sailing on Lake Windemere if you fancy a bit of an adventure!Sights nearby - Head over to Beatrix Potter's house near Sawrey, Holehird Gardens or William Wordsworth's homes at Dove CottageGreat walks - Take a leisurely stroll through the valley or test yourself with higher fells such as HelvellynFull of characterRecommended by - CN Traveller
The Swan Hotel & Spa 58 rooms from £177Cumbria
Overlooking the River Leven on the South shore of Lake Windemere. Traditional, whitewashed Lakeland coaching inn with smart and colourful, contemporary interiors and a great, family-friendly ethos. Boasting views, walks and airy interiors plus indoor pool and spa, brasserie and bar. A great stay.Country Escape - Surrounded by Cumbria's rolling hills with all the trimmings of a proper country stayGreat walks - Several easy walks from the hotel, or nearby Gummer’s How is an easy climb with fantastic viewsSights nearby - Holker Hall and Levens Hall both boast beautiful gardensSailing - Sailing on Lake WindermereRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
Another Place 20 rooms from £160Ullswater, Cumbria
Lifestyle hotel, lakeside escape, call it what you will, Another Place has it all. Boasting a sublime lake facing swimming pool, a fantastic restaurant and luxurious rooms. Explore the beautiful surrounding landscape or enjoy a spa treatment.Kayaking - Take to the lake and enjoy a day of exploring Ullswater by kayak.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of beautiful walking routes.Sailing - Ullswater is a great lake for fresh-water sailing.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Moss Grove Organic Hotel 11 rooms from £114Grasmere (Ambleside)
In the heart of pretty Grasmere village, this eco-friendly B&B offers a relaxed welcome, generous bedrooms, strong use of natural furnishings and Mediterranean-style, brunch breakfasts.Sights nearby - Lake District Tour from WindermereLocal markets - Sarah Nelson's Gingerbread ShopCycling - The Cyclist's Coast to CoastGreat walks - Coast to Coast Guided Walk
Lindeth Fell 14 rooms from £200Cumbria
A luxurious B&B located near scenic Lake Windemere. Interiors perfectly mix traditional British design with contemporary style - think antique furniture, boldly coloured walls, open fireplaces and chic modern bathrooms. Indulgent breakfasts and high tea are served. The perfect rural escape.Country Escape - A pretty rural house positioned in some of the UK's most picturesque countryside.Great walks - Find miles of scenic hiking trails to be explored.Sailing - Take a relaxing cruise across Windermere Lake.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Langdale Hotel & Spa 50 rooms from £155Ambleside, Cumbria
With a series of low-lying, traditional-slate buildings dotted around a forested estate, this hotel feels a world away from the Lake District’s tourist honeypots. Tucked in the Langdale Valley, it’s close to some great walking yet both Ambleside and Coniston are within a 15-minute drive.Spa breaks - The Brimstone Spa is a stunning indoor/outdoor space exclusively for adults, with numerous pools, saunas and treatments.Total relaxation - Kick back and relax with comfy suites, great food, hearty ales, heated indoor pool, sauna, and spa therapies.Back to Nature - Step away from the hustle bustle of a city and enjoy nature at its best with 35 acres of stunning grounds.Great walks - Pack your wellies, beautiful walks can be organised in the surrounding area.
Punch Bowl Inn, Cumbria 9 rooms from £105Crosthwaite (Cumbria)
Quaint 18th Century Inn, ideally situated in a Lake District village with sweeping valley views. Plush boutique styling throughout, rooms exude comfort and indulge in modern bathrooms. Popular lunch food for locals and great dinner menu. Good base for local exploring but a car is needed.Romantic Break - Ideal for a romantic weekend away, with his and hers tubs, candlelite dinners and sweeping views of the countryside.Active Holiday - Some of the best walking in the British Isles is right on your doorstep, be sure to bring your hiking boots!Foodies - Chef Scott Fairweather never fails to impress, with local ingrediants and inventive combinations.Great walks - With something for every level of comitment, from full day hikes to an afternoon stroll.Recommended by - Sawdays
Drunken Duck Inn 13 rooms from £125Cumbria
In the little village of Ambleside, nestled amongst the Southern Lowland Fells lies this 18th century inn. A landmark Lake District pub as famous for its smart food as its own-brew beer and with an attractive contemporary-country style. Comfortably inviting rooms are stylish yet uncluttered.Spa - Langdale Spa and Country Club which is situated in Elterwater which is a 15 minutes driveSights nearby - Dove Cottage and Rydal Mount, former homes of poet William WordsworthSwimming Pool - Located at the Langdale, 15 minutes awayGreat walks - Traverse the Southern Lowland FellsRecommended by - CN Traveller
Broadoaks 20 rooms from £120Cumbria
A smart country house and spa located near the famed Lake Windermere. Romantic rooms mix traditional and contemporary styles with dark hues, four poster beds and indulgent bathrooms. An award winning restaurant makes a welcome respite after a day spent in the countryside.Weddings - Offering an experienced team, beautiful backdrop and excellent catering service.Country Escape - A chic country house located in the beautiful Lake District.Sailing - Take a luxury cruise across scenic Lake Windermere.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool
Low Graythwaite Hall 9 rooms from £110Cumbria
With a little corner of Lake Windermere all to itself, Low Graythwaite Hall really has a cherished position on the district's most famous stretch of water. Boasting lovely rooms and beautiful gardens, it's a great place to relax and enjoy the stunning surroundings.Great walks - Take lovely walks along the banks of Lake Windermere or hike up some of the beautiful surrounding fells.Birdwatching - The lake of home to wide variety of birdlife.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.