Search the best hotels in Bonifacio
Standing high on white limestone cliffs on the southermost point of Corsica is arguably France's best kept secret and Corsica's oldest town, Bonifacio. Known throughout history as the "Citadel of Cliffs", it is a town soaked in history: utterly authentic, largely untroubled by the throngs of summer holidaymakers you normally associate with picturesque, secluded beaches and warrens of sun-baked cobbled streets. So whether you're either looking for a week spent lounging in the sun or exploring the sights and smells of an ancient town, then our collection of the best places to stay in Bonifacio will satisfy your desires.
The town itself is in the shadow of the citadel, Bastion d'Etenard, whose walls seem to fade into the cliffs and is in many respects a great metaphor for the rest of Bonifacio: a culturally-dense, historically-rich place unspoilt by tourists. The locals speak a curious dialect - a mix of Italian and French - and many are fiery separatists.
The sea floor is sprinkled with wrecks of pirate ships and ancient vessels, making it a popular location for divers and treasure hunters. Most of the beaches are not attended by locals, who prefer sunbathing in the caves of the cliffs, and many of the beaches like L'Arinella can only be reached by foot, boat or quadbike.
There are many great restaurants in the town, serving everything from their customary honey-roasted piglet, goats-cheese-stuffed clams, aubergines or Brocciu - fresh ricotta served with ham and salami - a far cry from Homer's giant cannibals who roamed the caves of the island when Odysseus, as legend has it, stopped there on his way back from Troy.
What Not to miss
The Staircase of King Aragon Alfanso V: 187 steps going steeply down the sides of the cliff, descending into the glittering sea. Swimming after your long climb down is almost a necessity, as you will build up a sweat!
Sutta Rocca: from the chapel of St. Roch a narrow stair descends to a small, secluded pebble beach - Sutta Rocca - which is a popular swimming and snorkelling spot for locals, for red starfish swim in the shallows.
- Filitosa & Palaghju: two beautiful and mysterious prehistoric sites, Palaghju being the largest collection of menhirs (standing stones) in the Mediterranean.
- Beaches: Piantarella, a gorgeous lagoon that's popular with windsurfers, where you can hire kayaks and paddleboards. L'Arinella, a secluded beach only reachable by a panoramic hike across coastal paths.
France's best-kept secret is truly a place of quiet, quaint beauty and our collection of the best places to stay in Bonifacio offer the perfect base from which to get to know this stunning destination.
Best places to stay in Bonifacio
For Beach life
- Hotel Genovese: only minutes from the beach and with 18 rooms, it stands on top of a cliff, straddling the citadel. It promises breath-taking views, a bar and terraces for sun-bathing.
- Cala di Greco: a petite hotel with stunning views of the countryside and an infinity pool. Fantastic for country-escapes.
- U Capu Biancu is a luxurious property on the coast about 5km north of Bonifacio. Come here for fab sea views, chic interiors, an impressive wine cellar and several dining options. Bliss!
For a Romantic getaway
- Hotel des Pecheurs: on the little island of Cavallo, a short boat trip from Bonifacio. With 50 rooms, a restaurant, spa, outdoor pool and her very own beach, this hotel will ensure a romantic stay.
- Hotel Version Marquis: a picture-perfect hotel with amazing views of the Santa Manza Bay and an infinity pool.
For an apartment or villa
- If you would prefer the option of self-catering, you should visit our partner Booking.com, who has a wide range of apartments and villas for all budgets and tastes.
- The nearest airport is Figari Airport, which is 20km from Bonifacio. There are many transfer options, including bus and taxi.
- If you plan on hiring a car, we recommend you contact our partners Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is from late spring to midsummer, where the temperatures vary from 22 to 27 degrees.
Still not sure which to book?
- Widen your search to include all our recommendations in Corsica.
- Contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Bonifacio
Best Hotels in Bonifacio
Hotel Genovese Bonifacio 18 rooms from €128Beach Life - Perched on the cliff top with soaring views, ultimate island break with a pool and the beaches just minutes awaySights nearby - Eglise Saint-Dominique de Bonifacio, Bonafacio Citadel, Bastion de L'EtendardDiving - Enjoy a day on the reefs of the Lavezzi islandsGreat walks - Along Rocapina beachRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Cala di Greco Bonifacio 6 rooms from €138Views - Glorious views both over the island and out to seaSwimming Pool - Stunning heated outdoor infinity pool with a viewSights nearby - Just outside BonifacioSailing - Can be booked nearby.
Contemporary all suite hotel with stunning views of Corsica's glorious countryside, including from the infinity pool. Neutral tones harmonise with splashes of colour in the rooms to capture the special Mediterranean atmosphere found in the surroundings. A laid back island hideaway. See More
Hotel Version Maquis Bonifacio 8 rooms from €198Total relaxation - With chic rooms overlooking the beautiful Santa Manza Bay, it's perfect for a relaxing, romantic break.Local exploring - An excellent launch pad for exploring the charming island of Corsica.Sights nearby - Any history buffs should check out the King Aragon Steps, just three miles from the hotel.Great walks - Wake up early and head off to explore the stunning countryside along the coast.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Hotel U Capu Biancu Bonifacio (Domaine de Pozzoniello) 41 rooms from €290Beach Life - Boasting gorgeous seaviews and just a five minute walk to the beach.Diving - Scuba dive with the nearby Scuba Libre centre.Romantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotel
A charming coastal property with impressive sea views. The well proportioned rooms are individually styled with pops of colour bursting out against a rustic chic background. Dine on the terrace overlooking the sea and make the most of the excellent wine cellar. Just a short walk from the beach. See More
Hotel des Pecheurs Bonifacio 50 rooms from €300Spa breaks - An expansive spa with treatments personalised to each individual.Beach Life - A hotel that boasts its own white sand beach.Tennis - Two outdoor courts on Cavallo island and rackets and balls can be rented from reception.Sailing - Hire a boat and discover the stunning archipelago of the Lavezzi islands.
A stunning hotel and spa situated right on the shores of the turquoise sea. Simple white washed rooms create an air of calm. A romantic restaurant serves a fusion of French and Italian cuisine. An extensive spa will ease away any stress. A private beach for sun-worshippers. A spoiling stay. See More