Search the best hotels in La Roche-Bernard
About La Roche-Bernard
Dating back over a thousand years, the characterful little town of La Roche-Bernard sits on the banks of the Vilaine River, close to Brittany's picturesque Golfe du Morbihan. Once a bustling trading port at the meeting points of the road and river connecting Nantes, Vannes and Redon, this maritime community's fascinating past will delight keen history buffs. With options ranging from laid-back restaurants with rooms to sumptuous ancient residences, our list of the best places to stay in La Roche-Bernard promises intimate gems for families, couples or friends travelling together.
Begin your explorations with a stroll around the old port, where you can tuck into fresh seafood or admire fishing boats and sleek yachts, distinctive rock formations and views from the 40-metre-high footbridge. Visit the Musée de la Vilaine in the Basses-Fosses Castle, amble along the Chemin du Ruicard to see 16th and 17th-century houses, and marvel at the Place du Bouffay's Canon House.
Guided walking tours of the old town, fishing trips and cruises on the Vilaine River all come highly recommended. The surrounding countryside is criss-crossed with trails for hikers, horse riders and cyclists, and there's superb food to be tasted at the best places to stay in La Roche-Bernard.
The Best Places to Stay in La Roche-Bernard
- Auberge Bretonne is a relaxed choice for a weekend getaway as a couple or with friends. Stay in pretty, classic rooms and feast on the daily specials in the restaurant. The seafood platters are legendary, and the wine list is particularly impressive. A foodie favourite.
- Manoir de la Senechausée de Lantiern is a historic manor house in nearby Lantiern. Pick this place for the heritage charm — think wooden beamed ceilings, terracotta floors and draped four-posters — as well as the intimate feel. The hosts offer delicious dinners on request. Very romantic.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Nantes Atlantique Airport (50 minutes away) or to Rennes Bretagne Airport (1 hour 10 minutes away) and travel to La Roche-Bernard by bus, taxi or train.
- Brittany is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking at around 23°C in July and August — this is the busiest time of year. For a quieter trip, consider visiting in April or September, although the weather will be cooler.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Vannes.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Brittany.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in La Roche-Bernard
Best Hotels in La Roche-Bernard
Auberge Bretonne La Roche-Bernard 10 rooms from €80Foodies - The refined and elegant restaurant has been listed in the Michelin Guide.Sailing - Just a ten minute walk away is the Port de la Roche-Bernard a thriving harbour full of yachts to rent.Great walks - Plenty of hiking trials starting just outside the village, ask your hosts for favourites.Sights nearby - House of the Canon is just 300m away and well worth a visit.
A charming restaurant with rooms in a beautiful stone building with blue painted doors. Excellent cuisine served in relaxed surrounds with a remarkable wine list. The sunny dining room looks out to the kitchen garden, as do the comfortable bedrooms. Ideal for a weekend getaway. See More
Manoir de la Senechaussee de Lantiern La Roche-Bernard 2 rooms from €150Families - With just two rooms this is a great choice for a small family to rent out in its entiretyCountry Escape - Serene and picturesque, this is the perfect rural escapeGreat walks - Take long walks along the picturesque coastlineKayaking - A local centre hires out kayaks
A charming country manor house turned intimate guesthouse near the coast. The two rooms are individually styled with four-poster beds, rich fabrics, antiques and terracotta tiled floors. The friendly hosts serve up superb table d’hôtes in the atmospheric firelit dining room. An idyllic rural escape. See More