Search the best hotels in Nimes
A favourite French escape for our Gurus, Nîmes has a rich history and a vibrant atmosphere. Emerging as a significant Roman city during the construction of the road between Italy and Spain, Nîmes boasts a number of impressive Romans ruins, as well as modern art galleries, lively markets and a denim museum; it is, after all, the namesake of the modern world’s most iconic fabric. The city offers a whole host of excellent hotels and B&Bs, perfect for relaxing family, group and couples’ trips. Featuring enchanting former coaching inns as well as Michelin-starred restaurants-with-rooms, our list of the best places to stay in Nîmes is seriously special.
When it comes to Roman ruins, Nîmes really shines. Admire the 20,000-seat amphitheatre — which you may recognise from Gladiator — and the Maison Carrée, a Vitruvian temple dedicated to Emperor Augustus. The enormously impressive Pont du Gard, a first-century aqueduct engineered to transport water from Uzès into the Castellum in Nîmes, also remains in excellent condition.
Other city highlights include the Musée du Vieux Nîmes, where an exhibition details the history of denim — originally called ‘serge de Nîmes’ — as well as the modern Carré d’Art gallery, and the buzzing Les Halles food market on a 19th-century boulevard. Beyond the city, you’ll find cycling, hiking and horse riding trails aplenty in the Provençal countryside. Come evening, expect a brilliant array of cafés, bars and eateries in the city centre; some within walking distance of the best places to stay in Nîmes.
The Best Places to Stay in Nîmes
- Jardins Secrets Hotel & Spa is a haven in the heart of Nîmes. Couples will be charmed by the Baroque-Rococco interiors of this 18th-century coaching inn. Expect sumptuous rooms, a spoiling spa and a pool framed by palms, orange and olive trees. Cosy up by the fire in the Napoleon III bar. Very romantic.
- Bien Loin d'Içi is a charming spot just north of Nîmes. The three double bedrooms have contemporary interiors and private terraces with hot tubs. Enjoy big breakfasts before hopping on the B&B's bicycles to explore, or unwinding in the swimming pool surrounded by wildflowers. An intimate rural idyll for couples.
For Families or Groups
- L'Enclos des Lauriers Roses is a fantastic spot for families or groups of friends. Set amidst vineyards, fruit orchards and olive trees and spread across the little village of Cabrières, the hotel has bright, airy bedrooms with mezzanines and space for extra beds. Facilities include four swimming pools and a great restaurant with an excellent wine list. Superb and very sociable.
- Domaine des Clos offers characterful rooms, studios and self-catering apartments in a converted 18th-century Provençal mas. Set 25kms outside Nîmes, it's a relaxed rural spot for couples, friends or families eager to enjoy yoga classes, strolling around 4 hectares of gardens, dips in the pool and restorative massages. Table d'hôtes dinners are a real treat for larger groups.
- Le Mas de Boudan is striking Provençal farmhouse with four contemporary rooms set above a marvellous Michelin-starred restaurant. Led by Chef Jérôme Nutile, the restaurant prides itself on its creative haute cuisine, featuring seasonal ingredients including Camargues oysters, fish from Le-Grau-Du-Roi served in a saffron broth, or mustard-rubbed lamb chops. Foodies will be thrilled to find an impressive wine cellar and dedicated cheese room, too.
FOR A HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Nîmes Airport, 9kms south of the city, or to the larger hub of Marseille International Airport. Alternatively, hop aboard the TGV from Paris, and you'll be in Nîmes in just over 3 hours. Some train journeys require a change in Avignon or Lyon.
- Provence is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect warm summers — with temperatures of 20-28°C — and mild winters. Summer is peak holiday season, but spring and autumn are also excellent for great hotel deals and a more tranquil atmosphere.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Arles, or our recommendations in the Gard Department
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Provence.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Nimes
Best Hotels in Nimes
L'Enclos des Lauriers Roses Nimes (Gard) 23 rooms from $103Country Escape - With a tranquil setting, beautiful rural surrounds, and great food — this is an idyllic rural getawayFamilies - Kids will love the rooms with extra beds for children on a mezzanine plus the large pool and gardensGood wine list - There is a well stocked wine cellar with a collection of over 500 bottles for guests to choose fromLocal exploring - Well positioned for visits to Roman Provence, Avignon, beaches, rivers and hikingRecommended by - Sawdays
A fabulous country hotel set in the middle of vineyards, fruit orchards and olive trees. Excellent accommodation for families and groups. There are airy and bright bedrooms, four swimming pools, a great restaurant, and an extensive wine list. An idyllic rural hideaway. See More
Domaine des Clos Nimes (Gard) 18 rooms from $133Cycling - Explore the nearby Alpilles and Camargue National ParksSwimming Pool - large outdoor pool, set in 4 hectares of park with its own olive grove (organic)Local markets - Heaven for foodiesRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Sawdays
Fabulous 18th century provençal mas on an old wine estate with comfy rooms, suites and self catering apartments, each individually decorated. Wonderful gourmet hampers mean that you can sit back and relax in the beautiful gardens after exploring the nearby towns of Arles, Nîmes and Avignon. See More
Mas de Boudan Nimes 4 rooms from $172Foodies - Housing a fabulous restaurant which has been accredited a Michelin Star.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive Nimes Cathedral and the restored Roman temple, Maion Carree.Romantic - Good for couples.Traditional
A fabulous restaurant with four contemporary rooms attached. Dine on Chef Jérôme Nutile's stunning menu showcasing the finest "haute couture" cuisine in an atmospheric converted farmhouse. Chic rooms are warm yet modern in style. Located just 3km from Nimes. A true foodies destination. See More
Bien Loin d'Ici Nimes 3 rooms from $289Spa breaks - With all rooms featuring private terraces with hot tubs, sauna and hammam cabin, Bien Loin d'Ici promises wellness and reposeLocal exploring - The local region is rich in natural landscapes and filled with medieval heritage, particularly AvignonShort break - Easily accesible from Avignon airport, this location is ideal for a short rejuvenating escapeSights nearby - Head to the nearby Pont du Gard, an impressive and intact Roman aquaduct that traverses the local riverRecommended by - Sawdays
Lying a little outside Nimes, Bien Loin d'Ici feels like a quiet retreat into nature. The three double rooms have contemporary decor, en suite bathrooms which lead onto private terraces boasting views and private hot tubs. The outdoor heated pool set amongst wildflowers is absolute bliss. Superb! See More
Jardins Secrets Nimes (Gard) 14 rooms from $356Sights nearby - Pont Du Gard within 11 miles. UNESCO site.Restrictions on children - Children must be over the age of 10.OpulentSpaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Amazing Baroque-Rococco style in this gorgeous 18th century coaching Inn. Rich drapes, fresh linen and soft lighting. Totally spoiling with it's own spa and outdoor pool surrounded by palms, orange and olive trees. Relax by the fire in the Napoleon 111 bar. An oasis of calm in this historic city. See More