Search the best hotels in Porto-Vecchio
On the southernmost part of Corsica, between granite mountains with rugged peaks and the sparkling Mediterranean Sea, lies the "City of Salt": Porto Vecchio. The third largest town in Corisca, a bustling place strewn with idyllic white-sand beaches and an Old Town of winding cobbled streets brimming with charming boutique shops, seafood restaurants, countless bakeries, gelato shops, a vibrant nightlife and a marina filled with the luxury yachts of celebrities and millionaires. She is a fun and intimate town, and the hotels in our collection of the best places to stay in Port Vecchio encapsulate this spirit.
Founded by the Genoese in 1539, her name literally means "Old Port", alluding to the presence of an old Roman harbour there that the new founders were careful to maintain. The Genoese sent colonists here but after suffering from outbreaks of malaria and an onslaught of pirate attacks, Porto Vecchio's significance waned into a mist of obscurity until WWII.
The area beneath the mountains was filled with marshland and much of it was used in the process of salt production, turning Port Vecchio into a booming industrial town. Her cork production, too, was well sought-after but due to the rising use of plastic, much of this trade was destroyed. The salt marshland was filled in for the development of the modern town, but in the outskirts, commercial salt pans were constructed, and thus Port Vecchio still remains as the "City of Salt".
Now it's a tourist honey-trap and for good reason: the white sand bays in the shadow of rugged peaks are the envy of Europe. The waters that sparkle in the sunshine surrounding her are a Mecca for scubadivers, and the maquis-covered hillsides, the great forests, rivers and waterfalls that flesh the countryside are popular with hikers. While not as historically-rich as Bonifacio, which lies a short drive away, her harbourfront is more animated and more wealthy in terms of seafood restaurants, bars and cafes.
What Not to miss
- High ropes course: a short drive from Porto Vecchio, the Xtreme Suds High Ropes Course is not for the faint-hearted. Climbing up rock-faces, through the trees and through gorges, it is a fun adventure filled with sublime views.
- Beaches: Santa Giulia is a popular beach with the Italian tourists who come in throngs during the summer months and due to its beauty, this isn't surprising. The Plage de Cala Rossa, lying at the north of the bay, is this Hotel Guru's favourite due to its intimacy, turquoise waters, pink rocks and majestic mountain views. The cocktail bar is also a plus!
- Scuba diving: the rocky islets lying just a 20 minute boat trip from the headland, known as the Isles Cerbicales, are part of a sea reserve and are popular with divers. Sea-life ranging from groupers and morays to barracudas can be seen swimming beneath the waters. The dive operator, Plongee Nature, are a safe bet.
- Restaurants: if you're looking for fresh, delicious seafood then Porto Vecchio is the place to be. Le Lodge, a restaurant and bar, specialises in shellfish and is worth checking out. If you're looking for something more simple and scrummy, then go to Le Bistrot, which does a tasty steak.
- Hiking: it takes an hour's drive to reach the mountaintop villages of Zonza and Levie and along the way are numerous opportunities for quadbiking, but the real charm lies in the land's hiking trails. The countryside is full of waterfalls, lakes like L'Ospedale, forestry and gorges.
This charming harbourtown is an ideal place to stay whether you're looking for adventure, an escape into the wild or just a good spot to bask in the rays of the sun and our list of the best hotels to stay in Porto Vecchio provide a wide range whatever your taste or budget.
The best places to stay in Porto Vecchio
For Beach life
- Hotel le Belvedere: a stunning hotel opposite Port Vecchio perched directly on the waterfront with two restaurants, an infinity pool and two hot tubs.
For a Country escape
- Le Roc E Fiori: a delightful hotel nestled between the mountains and the sea, with 14 rooms and suites, blooming gardens and wonderful views of the sea.
For a Romantic break
- Casa di L'Oru: a chic and stylish B&B with 3 rooms, panoramic sea views, breakfasts served with homemade jams and cakes, an enormous outdoor pool, spacious sun terraces and aromatherapy treatments on request.
On a budget
- Le Balamina: a trendy 54 bedroom hotel with minimalist and vintage touches, a restaurant, gym and an indoor pool. A central location for both the town and the beach.
- Casadelmar: a breathtaking 5-star hotel comprising 32 rooms with large sun terraces, a Michelin-star restaurant, infinity pool, Italian-style gardens and its own private beach.
- La Plage Casadelmar: a wonderful luxury hotel with 19 rooms, its own private beach, high-quality restaurant and a terrace with gorgeous views.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide-ranging list of apartments and villas for those wanting the intimacy of self-catering.
- The best time to visit is in the summer months, between June and September, when the temperature ranges from 22 to 28 degrees. If you want to escape the summer crowds, the bulk of which are Italians, then try April or October.
- The nearest airport is Figari Sud Course, which is 23km from the town's centre.
- If you wish to rent a car, don't hesitate to contact our partners Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Monthly Weather in Porto-Vecchio
Best Hotels in Porto-Vecchio
Hotel San Giovanni Porto-Vecchio 30 rooms from $78Child friendly - Childrens play area featuring swings and slides on-siteSights nearby - Only a 10 minute drive from Porto Vecchio and beachesTennis - Tennis courts on-site, equipment providedOther Activities - Table tennis and football pitch available
Set in the idyllic Corsican countryside, only a 10 minute drive from Porto Vecchio and 15 minutes from the world famous Santa Giulia beach, this hotel offers serenity and tranquility. A heated pool, hot tub, sauna, tennis courts and local cuisine are all available. Perfect for a peaceful retreat. See More
Le Balamina Porto-Vecchio 54 rooms from $111Sights nearby - You're just 2km from the 16th century Porto-Vecchio citadelSwimming Pool - A heated and covered pool on the top floor of the hotel.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Restaurant - Recommended.
Trendy hotel in an excellent central location good for both town centre and beach. There's a choice of spacious and modern rooms and suites - all seriously chic with a minimalist touch and vintage furnishings. Plus there's La Cantina restaurant, an indoor pool, and gym on site. See More
Le Roc e Fiori Porto-Vecchio (Corsica) 14 rooms from $122Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Back to NatureDiving - Good diving nearby.
Hotel Le Belvedere, Porto-Vecchio Porto-Vecchio from $165Outstanding location - Located opposite Porto-Vecchio and directly on the waterfrontBeach Life - Perfectly positioned along a pristine white sand beachCoastalTotal relaxation
This stunning hotel, located directly on the waterfront, is the ideal getaway for couples, featuring two on site restaurants, an infinity pool and two hot tubs. Additionally, each room has its own private terrace and garden view, creating a luxurious feel. A luxury location for rest and relaxation. See More
Casa di l'Oru Porto-Vecchio (Bocca di l'Oru) 3 rooms from $177Great walks - Guided tours are available of Porto-Vecchio, Bonifacio, as well as of the Bonifacio Cliffs and cavesSpa - Aromatherapy is available, with natural essential oils, all with unique Mediterranean flavoursSights nearby - Porto Vecchino is just a short distance from the propertySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Stylish B&B on the Corsican coast. Three bright en suite rooms, all with modern furnishings and private terraces. An organic breakfast is served daily, with homemade cakes, jams and locally sourced fruit. Guests can enjoy aromatherapy treatments or relax by the pool and take in panoramic sea views. See More
Grand Hotel de Cala Rossa Porto-Vecchio (Corsica) 32 rooms from $178Tennis - Tennis courtBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.SpaRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
An elegant beachfront hotel with spa and indoor pool. The bedrooms are clean and have cool, neutral colours. Plenty of water sports and activities on offer in the hotel's private cove. The restaurant serves exciting dishes and great local seafood. Relaxing getaway beach spot. See More
Les Bergeries de Palombaggia Porto-Vecchio 17 rooms from $210Views - Views over Porto Vecchio and the sea in one directions, and the mountains in the otherRestaurant - Regional cuisine served on the terraceSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
Situated on the stunning south-east coast of Corsica each room has a balcony or terrace with which to lap up the beauty of the sea and port below. An al fresco restaurant serves a creative menu of delicious local cuisine. Rooms are modern yet authentically mediterranean with exposed stone and wood. See More
Casadelmar Porto-Vecchio (Porto Vecchio) 34 rooms from $387Foodies - Michelin-starred restaurant headed by Fabio Bragagnola to enjoy, as well as gastronomic tours of the regionBeach Life - Private beach area with concierge service, watersports a-plenty, superb spa and outstanding ocean viewsSights nearby - See the island from above on a hotel helicopter tourDesigner - Award-winning French architect Jean-François BodinRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Design Hotels, Tablet
La Plage Casadelmar Porto-Vecchio (Lecci) 19 rooms from $567Foodies - Enjoy beautiful Mediterranean cuisine at the restaurantBeach Life - Relax at the hotel's private beachWriting a novelHoneymoons
Nestled in the sandy coast of Porto-Vecchio, this hotel is perfect for those seeking luxury, rest and relaxation. Spacious modern rooms open on to the hotel's own private beach, whilst the on site restaurant features a terrace with gorgeous views. The ideal spot for an indulgent retreat. See More