- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Charente-Maritime
Best Hotels in Charente-Maritime
La Caussoliere 5 rooms from $69SAINT-SORNIN, Charente-Maritime
A charmingly simple B&B in a stone cottage. Just five bedrooms, one sleeps four, have stone floors, white washed walls, and rustic furnishings. Lovely gardens and hearty breakfasts. Plenty to explore in the area and excellent value. Family friendly too.Local exploring - Sand dunes, forests, waters, historic Saintonge area, Gironde Estuary coastline, all along 1500 km of well-lit foot paths.Families - One of the rooms sleeps 4 people.Value chicKayaking - Mer des Pertuis, Côte de Beauté, Gironde, Charente, Marais Poitevin.
Le Senechal 24 rooms from $84Ars en Ré, Ile de Re
In the centre of pretty, chic Ile de Ré, this is a very French, very laidback hotel which sprawls in a glorious hotch-potch of staircases & winding corridors. Rooms are quirkily decorated with designer flair; some with private terraces. There's a small pool, charming breakfasts, and quiet courtyardsLocal markets - Visit the local antiques market in La Flotte.Sights nearby - Visit the renowned fortificationsSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorQuirky - An experience!
Le Logis du Pere 8 rooms from $86Saint-Coutant-le-Grand, Charente-Maritime
A beautiful estate surrounded by lush greenery offering spacious accommodation. Charming country style rooms with period furniture, large mirrors and chandeliers combined with modern luxury. The restaurant serves local dishes accompanied with fine wines from the on site cellar. A perfect escape.Families - There are quadruple rooms available for families, plus the expansive gardens and grounds leave plenty of room to run around.Total relaxation - The hotel offers a hot tub, sauna, spa and a heated pool on site as well as fine dining and an extensive cellar.Great walks - Choose from one of the many long walks in the surrounding area, ask at the front desk for details.Swimming Pool - An outdoor pool for guests is available
Les Bois Flottais 19 rooms from $88Le Bois Plage, Ile de Re
A stylish contemporary hotel in Le Bois-Plage-en-Ré, just a short stroll from the beach. The hotel offers a serene atmosphere with fashionable, comfortable rooms, two swimming pools and massage treatments. With multi-person suites, it's perfect for a family holiday to Ile de Re.Beach Life - Nestled between the coast and the village, the hotel sits just minutes from a beautiful blue-flag beach.Local exploring - Hire a bicycle make the most of the extensive cycle tracks to explore the island on two wheels.Sights nearby - Anyone with an interest in the history of the island should explore the nearby Vauban Fortifications.Great walks - Wake up early and enjoy the beautiful walks along the beach five minutes from the hotel.
La Monnaie 36 rooms from $141La Rochelle
An art and spa hotel close to the beach. Modern art and sculptures throughout, boutique furnishings include chandeliers, leather chairs, all within a 17th century ornate building. Large rooms and suites with all the mod cons, top of the range spa, and excellent business facilities.Artworks - Modern art in every room and public space.Meeting Room - State of the art meeting room.Spa breaksCity Style
La Maison Douce 14 rooms from $123Saint-Martin-de-Ré, Ile de Re
Beautiful hotel nestled down a little street in Saint-Martin-de-Re. French country-style rooms with ambient lighting and white linens are filled with light from their private balconies. Roll-top baths complete the decor. There is a fragrant rose lines courtyard garden where breakfast is served.Romantic Break - Whimsical rooms with roll-top baths and private balconies are ideal for loved onesSights nearby - The Vauban Fortifications are within ten minutes walk.Local markets - Explore the markets of Saint-Martin-de-Re.Full of character
Chateau des Salles 5 rooms from $127Saint-Fort-sur-Gironde, Charente-Maritime
A beautiful chateau in a tranquil setting, surrounded by lush greenery and bamboo trees. Bright and elegant rooms dressed in white, featuring colonial furniture and lovely views of the garden. The restaurant serves traditional cuisine and local wines and a sumptuous breakfast is served everyday.Total relaxation - A great place to escape the city madness, offering massages in the garden, fine wines and excellent cuisine.Local exploring - In a great location with lots to explore around the area from Romanesque churches to Cognac vinyards.Writing a novel - Writing desks are provided in rooms, make the most of the quiet atmosphere and beautiful surrounds.Sights nearby - Culture vultures must visit the Romanesque churches in Poitou-Charentes region.Recommended by - Sawdays
La Residence de France 54 rooms from $139La Rochelle
A smart, stylish hotel in an 18th century setting in the heart of La Rochelle. Rooms feature modern yet minimalist decor with cool pastel palettes. A relaxing outdoor pool and intimate piano bar create an ambience of serenity in the vibrant port city. Plus there is an indulgent buffet breakfast.Value chic - Uber stylish modern accommodation, including a pool, at a great priceLocal markets - Browse the local markets surrouding the historic port of La Rochelle.Fishing - Take a sea fishing trip out from La Rochelle harbour.Sights nearby - Ten minutes from the La Rochelle Aquarium.
Le Grand Large 27 rooms from $139Dolus d'Oleron, Ile d'Oleron
Le Corbusier inspired hotel on the Island of Oleron, situated right by the beach. Sleekly decorated rooms offer stunning panoramic views of the Bay of Biscay. Leather furniture and neutral tones contrasting with vibrant geometric shapes give a freshness to match the Atlantic coast and cuisine.Views - Stunning ocean views and the perfect spot for enjoying the sunsetOn the beach - Located on one of Oleron's best beachesSailing - Can be booked nearby.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
La Baronnie 22 rooms from $155Ile de Re
This magnificent 18th-century manor house is surrounded by its own glorious garden. Beautiful, light rooms are tastefully decorated with antiques, wooden floors & all mod cons. Enjoy the bar, living rooms, library, spa and heated pool. A spacious and sophisticated base for exploring the Ile de RéSpa - Heated pool, jacuzzi, sauna, tea corner.Four poster beds - For romantics.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
Chateau de Mirambeau 40 rooms from $158Mirambeau, Charente-Maritime
A enchanting Renaissance-style castle, surrounded by canals, rivers, salt marshes. The lavish rooms are individually decorated with opulent furnishings and glorious wall papers. Fitted with a deluxe spa and a sparkling restaurant, it's perfect for a relaxing weekend away. Five-star quality.Country Escape - A pampering rural getaway nestled on a beautiful parkland estate, surrounded by canals, rivers, salt marshes, and vineyards.Total relaxation - Indulge yourself at this regal retreat, with a deluxe spa, two pools, spoiling service and excellent cuisine.Great walks - Make the most of the excellent walking routes through the surrounding parklands and vineyards.Sights nearby - Any guest with an interest in history must visit the nearby St Pierre Cathedral of Saintes.
Relais du Bois St Georges 30 rooms from $176Saintes, Charente-Maritime
Elegant hotel surrounded by rosebushes. Unique rooms have contemporary furniture, exposed beam ceilings and lovely bathrooms. Indoor pool, garden, terrace and piano lounge. Excellent dining with locally sourced produce. Quiet, grown up and a little different.Romantic Break - Characterful interiors, indoor pool and spa treatments, a trip to the beach and gourmet diningGreat walks - Plenty of fresh air in hotel's 7 hectare parkSights nearby - Cathedral of SaintesSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hôtel de Toiras 20 rooms from $203Ile de Re
Stunning location at the port of Saint Martin on the beautiful island of Ré. The immaculate, elegant rooms are a wonderfully peaceful environment with spectacular views of the ocean. The luxury continues with the hotel's heated outdoor pool, fantastic restaurant, and in room massages & treatments.Sights nearby - Le Phare des Baleines, the most amazing panorama of the Ile de Ré. L'Abbaye des Chateliers, 12th century abbey.Fishing - Take a fishing trip, with a skipper and a sailor, and catch sea-breams and sea-bassBack to Nature - A natural bird reserve, La Maison du Fier is 14 km away.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Le Clos St Martin 33 rooms from $230Ile de Re
This hotel offers guests the chance to totally relax. Beautiful bedrooms are designed with harmonious tones, whitened furniture and oak flooring. Two heated swimming pools and the landscaped garden is the picture-perfect spot to unwind in. A range of treatments are available in the Clarins spa.Sights nearby - Enjoy a guided tour of Saint-Martin-de-RéSailing - Yachts and catamaran sailing.Swimming Pool - 2 heated swimming poolsSpa - New spa by Clarins
Villa Clarisse 9 rooms from $246Il de Re, Ile de Re
Pretty country house close to the beach. Light, modern rooms have wooden floors, cream and nautical colourings with French antiques dotted about. Outdoor pool, gardens and spa treatments. Excellent American breakfast buffets, served outside if possible. Chic and laid back, ideal for a weekend.Hideaway - 17th century house offers real seclusion, whilst pottering from the beach, to the outdoor pool and down to the Marina for dinnerSailing - Club des Dauphins-Antoine AlbeaGreat walks - Down to St-Martin HarborSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Le Richelieu 40 rooms from $374Ile de Re
A large sophisticated hotel with breathtaking views over the ocean. The rooms are bright and elegant with sea or garden views, most with their own terrace. It boasts its own pool, thalassotherapy spa and Michelin-starred restaurant. The whole place oozes quality and relaxation.Spa - A thalassotherapy spa: from the Greek thalassa (the sea), uses sea elements for beauty and well-being.Swimming Pool - Indoor & large outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotelSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - CN Traveller
All our Charente-Maritime collections:
- Best places to stay in La Rochelle
- Best places to stay in the Ile de Re
- Best places to stay in the Ile d'Oleron
- Best places to stay in the Charente-Maritime
The name comes in part from the river Charente, which runs through the region, and you could guess that the Maritime bit refers to the fact that Charente-Maritime is right on the Atlantic, and the maritime industry has made this department wealthy and charming. Charente-Maritime’s long line of sandy beaches is drenched by sun in summer, so it’s a very popular spot for a sunny break. The best places to stay in Charente-Maritime range from rural hideaways to grand old châteaux to beachfront hotels.
As well as tourism and the maritime industry, Charente-Maritime is known for its seafood, and especially its oysters. Oysters cultivated here are shipped all over Europe. Charente-Maritime is also known for another rather luxurious good - cognac.
Some of the prettiest spots in the region are La Rochelle, with its old medieval harbour and city walls; Rochefort, with its important military history; Royan, a lively seaside resort, and the pretty islands of Île d'Aix, Île de Ré and Île d'Oléron.
If you're planning a visit to the region during the peak summer months, you'll need to book well ahead. The best places to stay in the Charente-Maritime get very busy during July and August.
The Best Places to Stay in Charente-Maritime
For great value
- La Caussoliere in Saint Sornin, is a charmingly simple stone cottage, converted into a comfortable but rustic five room B&B. One of the rooms sleeps four, they serve a hearty breakfast and the room rate starts from £46 per night, so this is a great value option for families waiting to explore the region.
- Le Senechal is a laid-back and effortlessly chic hotel that represents excellent value for money on the Ile de Re. Come in low season and you'll find rooms from as little as €79 per night.
- Le Logis du Pere is not only great value, but it's good for families too with flexible accommodation including rooms which sleep up to four. It's a rural spot but there's great on site facilities including outdoor pool and restaurant.
- Relais du Bois St Georges in Saintes is a small, elegant hotel with 30 unique rooms with exposed beams and contemporary furniture. There’s also an indoor pool and spa treatments available, and the restaurant is excellent, specialising in locally sourced. You’re also surrounded by rose gardens and seven hectares of parkland.
- La Maison Douce is a beautiful hotel nestled down a side street in St Martin de Re. Rooms are French country style with roll top baths and private balconies.....romantic bliss!
For a chateau stay
- Chateau des Salles is set amid pretty countryside filled with Romanesque churches and vineyards. Elegant rooms are traditional in style with modern bathrooms, and you're not a million miles from the coast.
For La Rochelle
- La Monnaie is a trendy art and spa hotel close to the beach. 17th century on the outside but inside you'll find modern art and sculptures and seriously chic rooms.
- La Residence de France is a charming property in the heart of the old town. Smart interiors with a minimalist feel plus an outdoor pool and intimate piano bar.
For the beach
- Le Grand Large is a beach-side property on the Ile d'Oleron. Smart contemporary rooms, stunning views over the Bay of Biscay and superb food with plenty of delicious local seafood.
- Le Richelieu is a luxury property with Michelin starred dining right on the beach on the Ile de Re. Plus there's a Thalassotherapy spa, indoor and outdoor pools and glorious views.
- Villa Clarisse is also on the Ile de Re and whilst not technically on the beach, it's very close! Rooms are light and modern with a nautical feel and strategically placed antiques. A laid-back, sophisticated spot.
- Hotel de Toiras enjoys a stunning location in the port of St Martin de Re, and the beautiful rooms benefit from wonderful sea views. In addition there's a heated outdoor pool and fantastic restaurant.
- Also in St Martin de Re is the Clos St Martin, a stunning property with sophisticated interiors, two heated swimming pools and a Clarins spa.
- La Baronnie is a magnificent 18th century manor house turned boutique hotel set amid lovely gardens. Sumptuous rooms boast parquet floors, antique furnishings and of course all mod cons. Plus there's an atmospheric bar and heated pool.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Charente-Maritime for you? Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Charente-Maritime, or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.